You Too?
Premium Member
join:2000-10-18
Ardmore, PA

1 recommendation

MeeToo7

Premium Member

IU Batch File Instructions Tweaking Thread

gt7697c and I decided to start a new thread to tweak the instruction file I'm working on to help people making a program (batch file) that will fetch Intelligent Updater's refs automatically when one runs the file.

This is a continuation of this thread. Please read it before asking questions on this thread. This thread is for tweaking the instructions file only. Thanks.

Everyone is welcome to give their input/feedback as to whether the instructions worked for them, or how I can edit the file to make it simpler, clearer etc. etc. If you have a tip for your particular system/setup that's not listed in there, please post it.

Remember what my goal is; to translate computer jargoneese into plain English for people who use computers as a tool, not the computer being their job/life. And remember that I'm not fluent myself in computer jargoneese, but know just enough to be a bridge.

So then, here is the Instruction File as it looks so far:

begin instruction file--------------------------------

These instructions are to update NAV using Intelligent Updater's daily virus reference files (Note that some days there aren't any new updates, but often there is.)
These instructions will work for Norton Antivirus installed on Win95/98/WinME/Win2000/XP/NT, for one single computer. (For info on how to set this up for Corporate Edition NAV or multiple computers simultaneously, see »service4.symantec.com/SU ··· 08230148 )
You must be a registered user and have paid your yearly fee for virus definitions updates. This little program which downloads Intelligent updates automatically will:

a) Bypass LiveUpdate to get the updates. Meaning if LU does not work for you then this little program should work.

b) Address the problem of not being able to auto download the daily updates. It also puts NAV back up there with the other Major AV players that we talk about here, NODE and KAV, because they feature something that downloads their daily updates and installs them. So now NAV has the same feature with this program you'll make yourself.

c) It addresses the problem of manually going to Symantec site and getting the updates and installing them.

Lets do it!

1. Make a folder named temp in your C directory.

2. Open Notepad, and copy/paste this script below, starting with "open", ending with "quit"

open ftp.symantec.com
anonymous
nobody@spammer.com
cd public/english_us_canada/antivirus_definitions/norton_antivirus/static
lcd C:\temp
bin
hash
prompt
get symcdefsi32.exe
quit

3. Save this file as cescript.txt and put in the temp folder you just created.

4. Open a new file in Notepad, and copy/paste this script below.
If your OS is Win95/98/ME, use this script:

ftp -s:cescript.txt
choice /n/t:c,30/c:cc
"c:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe" /q
choice /n/t:c,30/c:cc
del "c:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe"

If your OS is Win2000/XP/NT, use this script:

ftp -s:cescript.txt
"c:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe" /q
del /q "c:\temp\symcdefsi32.exe"

5. Save the file as Intelligent.bat and put in temp folder with other file.

6. Right click the Intelligent.bat file icon, and select properties. Select the "program" tab, and check the box "close on exit". Click Aply, and close (this step is not needed for WinXP, it will close automatically on this OS) Optional--> Next to "Run" box, select "minimize" in the drop down menu. This option will run the program in a minimized window so you don't have to watch the process.

7. Create a shortcut for this Intelligent.bat file and drag it to your taskbar where the "Quicklunch" shortcuts go (right next to the Start icon.) (Optionally skip this step if you're going to do step 9 and 10.)

8. Now click on that shortcut icon and watch it do its thing. It will fetch the refs file, install them, and close up when it's done. (There's a delay to close while it installs, the slower the machine, the longer it takes.)

If everything works you can stop reading here and run your Intelligent Updater daily by clicking on it, or if you're still having fun, you can go on for further options.
If it doesn't work yet, scroll down to "troubleshooting tips"

9. An optional feature is to run this batch file in the Task Scheduler, to automate this further so you don't even have to think about clicking on the shortcut to update. To get it to work with Task Scheduler follow these steps: (See step 10 later for how to change icons on your MSdos batch file.)

For Win2k/XP

1. Go to Control Panel, and start Task scheduler
2. Double click Add New Task
3. Browse to the Intelligent.bat file.
4. Put in the times that you want it to run. Press ok when finished. (NOTE: Log in as the Admin to create the Scheduled Task. Once you are logged in as the Admin the Scheduled Task Manager will prompt you for the Admin Password again after changes have been made. If you don't have a password set and Task Manager won't run because of it, create a password under User Accounts, and then set a password for an existing account, go to the task, and enter the same password.)
To verify that you have it setup correctly right click on the Scheduled task you just created, and select Run. If it does not run then post a topic on the Security forum giving info on your setup along with what O/S you are running it on, what Firewall you have on the system, etc.

For WinME/9x

1. Go to control panel, select Scheduled Tasks, select Add Scheduled Task, click Next
3. Click browse
4. goto temp folder in your C directory, and highlight the temp folder and click open.
5. highlight the Intelligent.bat folder, click open.
6. Select the box "daily" click Next.
7. Select the start time you want it to run (usually updates are up by 9 pm US/EST, on Symantec's site.)
8. Select "perform this task everyday" click Next, click Finished.

10. If you've gone this far and everything works, you can even change the generic MSDos icon of your .bat file and replace it with a unique one of your own. Right click the Intelligent.bat file, select Properties, select Program tab, and select "change icon". You'll be shown a list of icons to choose from. Select a unique one that's not associated with other common files (I have chosen the Shield and Sword icon for mine.) Check the box "close on exit" if you're on Win9x/ME, and click Aply, click Close. Doing this will generate a shortcut file called INTELL~1 in same folder as your .bat file. In Task Scheduler, change the path this new shortcut INTELL~1 file.

For more information on Intelligent Updater:

Table listing the the Intelligent Updater files and the consumer versions of NAV that they update. »service2.symantec.com/SU ··· 13035306

Troubleshooting tips:

Some people notice a better response from changing the cescript.txt file to point to a mirror site.
Mirrors are:

ftp1.symantec.com through ftp3.symantec.com = WEST COAST
ftp4.symantec.com through ftp8.symantec.com = EAST COAST

Proxy or firewall issues.
If you are using a proxy or firewall that blocks FTP communications, Intelligent.bat will not work. You must allow FTP traffic for the FTP session to succeed. If your proxy or firewall requires authentication, be sure to run the scheduled event using a username and password that will authenticate and allow access.

On ZoneAlarm Free version; when a popup window asks you for "File transfer program" internet permission, check the box "remember this answer the next time I run this program" and click "yes", or go directly to Programs tab, and give permission to File Transfer Program to access the internet and local zone.
If you keep the boxes "block local server" and "block internet server" checked, then you must enter Symantec's FTP server IP in the "trusted local zone" under the "Advance" tab. The IP range is 206.204.52.8 - 206.204.212.72

Also, see these posts from gt7697c at »Re: NAV Intelligent Updater--5/13/02 for NIS/NPF and other rules based firewalls like ZAP,

and

this one from Attitudeda for XP Pro along with NPF 2002 »Re: IU Batch File Instructions Tweaking Thread

Credits:
These instructions were taken from the topics linked below, from all the people who originally worked out the bugs. Some of it I cut/pasted directly stealing their words, some I edited. I tried to sort everything out and make sense of it. If you see something that could be clarified or help others with your particular system/setup, please post it so I can update this instruction file. Thanks to everyone in the links below who contributed to working out the bugs and refine this instruction document. Special thanks to gt7697c and PK who gave me a lot of feedback in IM's also.

»NAV Auto Download Daily updates Program

»NAV Intelligent Updater--5/13/02

»IU Batch File Instructions Tweaking Thread

[text was edited by moderator]

ylen131
join:2000-02-09
Canoga Park, CA

ylen131

regarding zonealarm(free version)don't know if this is needed for the pay version.If after u gave the permision to the ftp to download the file it hangs then u need to do the following

Under windows 2000

make sure that block local server is uncheck
also ftp the symantec server that u are using
using the tracert command to get the ip address and then in zonealarm go to security|advanced|add|ip address(safer to just give access to one or 2 ips as sometimes they do change so keep a look on the bath file for couple of days to make sure it works,if not then tracert the ftp agen to see if they changed the ip address)give a name that u want and then type the ip number that u got from doing the tracert.Hope this isn't confusing.

Agen this is only if the ftp is unable to download even do u gave it permission to the net.

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium Member
Ardmore, PA

MeeToo7

Premium Member

From Attitudeda in old thread: "http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,3291016

"It's a great bat file only thing is I still can't get it to work in Task Scheduler."

I haven't tried that yet, been too busy trying to understand what I was trying to do in the first place. I'll try it later and post my results, or if someone already knows or can try it and post the results, that would be great.
MeeToo7

MeeToo7 to ylen131

Premium Member

to ylen131
ylen13, I am using ZA free, on WinME, and there's no need for me to add the IP in the Advanced tap.

Only difference with you is that you're using Win2000, so I'm wondering if that's an issue related to ZA on Win2k?

Attitudeda
Cool Cruiser
MVM
join:2001-11-26
USA

Attitudeda to MeeToo7

MVM

to MeeToo7
Thanks I notice that you changed the name of the batch file to Intelligent.bat, I believe that when GT and Zupe made this batch file they called it cegetter.

gt7697c
Premium Member
join:2001-02-16
The Hive

gt7697c to MeeToo7

Premium Member

to MeeToo7
To get it to work with Task Scheduler you need to do this:

Go to the control and start Task scheduler. Double click Add New Task, now browse to the .bat file. (Or as MeeToo has it named Intelligent.bat) Now you need to input your times that you want it to run. Press ok when finished. (With Win 2k and XP please log in as the Admin and you will be prompted for a password.)

To verify that you have it setup correctly right click on the Scheduled task you just created, and select Run. If it does not run then you need to post how you have setup along with what O/S you are running it on, and what Firewall you have on the system.

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium Member
Ardmore, PA

MeeToo7 to Attitudeda

Premium Member

to Attitudeda
said by Attitudeda:
Thanks I notice that you changed the name of the batch file to Intelligent.bat, I believe that when GT and Zupe made this batch file they called it cegetter.

Yes, I changed the name "cegetter" to "intelligent" because ce in cegetter stands for Corporate Edition. Intelligent is easily associated with the Intelligent Updater we're working with also.
[text was edited by author 2002-05-14 16:02:43]

ylen131
Canoga Park, CA

ylen131 to MeeToo7

to MeeToo7
it's probeably have to do with 2k.I'm not running zonealarm anymore so don't have that problem.For those that run 2k and zonealarm and can't find a problem why it don't work they can try adding ip address.

Attitudeda
Cool Cruiser
MVM
USA

Attitudeda to gt7697c

MVM

to gt7697c
GT, I'm running XP pro and NPF 2002. If I click on the the file it runs fine. When I try and run it in task scheduler it fails.

ylen131
Canoga Park, CA

ylen131

do't have xp infront of me but in 2k in a task manager when u right click on the name it the bottom it says run as and their's an option to set a password.type the password for your account

if the scheduled tasks in 2k and xp is different then disregard my comments.
[text was edited by author 2002-05-14 16:21:01]

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium Member
Ardmore, PA

MeeToo7

Premium Member

I revised Step #10, Task scheduler to include separate instructions for Win2k/XP and Win9x.

If these aren't right, let me know.

gt7697c
Premium Member
The Hive

gt7697c

Premium Member

MeeToo, I just looked at Step 10. Please correct. It should read:

(Please Log in as the Admin to create the Scheduled Task. Once you are logged in as the Admin the Scheduled Task Manager will prompt you for the Admin Password again after changes have been made.)

(When I posted my post dealing with Task Scheduler I omitted that part, due to going to fast.)

HTH.:)

Attitudeda
Cool Cruiser
MVM
USA

Attitudeda to MeeToo7

MVM

to MeeToo7
Click for full size
Click for full size
Heres how it set up in task scheduler, As before I'm running XP Pro along with NPF 2002. With the following rule. Re: NAV Intelligent Updater--5/13/02
In order for the batch file to get out you must configure your firewall. Here are the rules that you need for your firewall:

said by Rules for firewall:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DOS FTP File Transfer
Category: File Transfer
Rule in use: YES
Logging: NO
Protocol: TCP
Action: Permit
Direction: Outbound
Application: (Microsoft DOS FTP)
..........Path: c:\winnt\system32\ftp.exe
........Access: Automatic
Local service: Any Service
Local Address: Any Address
Remote Service:
..........Port: 21
Remote Address: Any Address
------------------------------------------------------
DOS FTP Data Transfer
Direction: Outbound
Remote Service: (1024 - 65535)
...Range Begin: 1024
.....Range End: 65535
DOS FTP Data Transfer
Direction: Inbound
Local Service: (1024 - 65535)
...Range Begin: 1024
.....Range End: 65535
Remote service: Any Service
DOS FTP Data Transfer
Direction: Inbound
Remote Service:
..........Port: 20
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium Member
Ardmore, PA

MeeToo7

Premium Member

Updated. I replaced what you said gt, and I linked Attitudeda's firewall setup under Proxy/firewall issues.

Attitudeda
Cool Cruiser
MVM
USA

Attitudeda

MVM

said by MeeToo:
Updated. I replaced what you said gt, and I linked Attitudeda's firewall setup under Proxy/firewall issues.
I can not take credit for theses firewall rules those were the rules I got from GT's post.

www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,3289279

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium Member
Ardmore, PA

MeeToo7

Premium Member

Hey! hehe...My updater surprised me by starting up as I was typing this post above, as I had set the scheduled task earlier while writing the instructions and made it for 5:15.

Well it works, but now I found out I have to change my instructions about the shortcut icon and "close on exit", to be made on the .bat file itself, and not the shortcut, as that won't work.

Ok, lots more to do, but will have to wait until after dinner for me. Keep on posting those tweaks!
MeeToo7

MeeToo7 to Attitudeda

Premium Member

to Attitudeda
said by Attitudeda:

I can not take credit for theses firewall rules those were the rules I got from GT's post.

www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,3289279

Ok I'll mention that, or you can mention that yourself on an edit in your post above

I want to keep both links there because of your comments and pic captions.

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
join:2000-06-18
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

Jan Janowski to MeeToo7

Premium Member

to MeeToo7
Oh darn!!! XP home
I can run it manually, but it won't run in task scheduler. Error message I get is: Task did not run because no User account password was entered.

OK, when I power up, it goes to the only user that has been configured, and there is no password set, it powers up and runs.

I tried making C:/temp shared and not read only. Same.
It isn't software firewall, turn it off and it still fails the same. I checked, file and printer sharing works...
I DO NOT HAVE PASSWORDS (that I know of) ON THIS COMPUTER.
????????
Where to I find this password wants to be
???
OH Goody, I can't wait!!!
Jan Janowski

Jan Janowski to gt7697c

Premium Member

to gt7697c
said by gt7697c:
To get it to work with Task Scheduler you need to do this:

Go to the control and start Task scheduler. Double click Add New Task, now browse to the .bat file. (Or as MeeToo has it named Intelligent.bat) Now you need to input your times that you want it to run. Press ok when finished. (With Win 2k and XP please log in as the Admin and you will be prompted for a password.)

Where do I find the password it wants???? My system XP home boots up as administrator, and I never set a password.
Boots right up to desktop... ??
OH Boy!
Jan Janowski

Jan Janowski

Premium Member

This thread might help others:

»XP home (password)

Tomorrow I'll manually run it after I see it is changed to 5/14, and that will verify the manual operation works.....

Then I'll dive into the Admin password thingie......
I can't wait to find out what I screw up next!!!

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium Member
Ardmore, PA

MeeToo7

Premium Member

I've added a note about making a password if none was made.

I think the instructions are pretty clear now and ready to use for newcomers, so feel free to pass it along.
Although I'll keep tweaking it ofcourse, if people come up with new info/tweaks. Keep posting them on this thread.

Attitudeda
Cool Cruiser
MVM
USA

Attitudeda

MVM

said by MeeToo:
I've added a note about making a password if none was made.

I think the instructions are pretty clear now and ready to use for newcomers, so feel free to pass it along.
Although I'll keep tweaking it of course, if people come up with new info/tweaks. Keep posting them on this thread.
MeeToo, great job you did on this. I got Task Scheduler to run.

MeeToo7
You Too?
Premium Member
Ardmore, PA

MeeToo7

Premium Member

Thanks to all of you! Was a great team effort.

In my last edit I fixed some grammar/spelling and reworded the intro paragraph and otherwise attempted to make it clearer. If you catch things like that, please either IM or post it here.

This was fun to work on, I love that little program, and now with it in Task scheduler, I'm almost sad I won't have to click on it everyday

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay to MeeToo7

MVM

to MeeToo7
I am impressed. I have been gone almost all day and just got to this thread. At the moment, I am too tired to even concentrate enough to know whether I will understand it or not, but I have "marked" it and will return, count on it. I couldn't follow the other thread so just figured, what the heck, and continued doing my d/l either manually daily or just about or via LU, which has worked fine for me. Tomorrow is another day, and I look forward to seeing if this works or not. Thank you all......if it does......and if it doesn't, thank you anyway. You guys are really special. (MeeToo, I really did miss you, and this kind of thing is one of those reasons why.)

gt7697c
Premium Member
The Hive

gt7697c

Premium Member

Please...Jkk...make sure the Hair Spray is Extra Hold, that way it won't go over your head so much.;):)

Personally, in the other thread, I tried to make it very simple. But it just wasn't happening. I appreciate MeeToo for taking another crack at it, and getting it down to a clear 10 or so step process. (Almost reminds me of a AA meeting. With a 6 step process to recovery.:))

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay

MVM

said by gt7697c:
Please...Jkk...make sure the Hair Spray is Extra Hold, that way it won't go over your head so much.;):)

Hair spray? NOT!!! My hair is so short that hair spray is a foreign word in this house. It's shorter than Mr. JKK's. 1/16" is about what it is today, having just had it cut yesterday. Got any other ideas?

Yes, I knew you were trying to make it easy in the original and it just got deeper and deeper, so I just got out of the learning mode and decided to can the idea. I will now look at it more closely. I do appreciate what you tried to do and for many, it worked just fine, obviously. Lots of things don't work as well for me, but that's just my load to bare...woe is me!:D:D:D

neill
join:2000-11-15
Irvington, NY

neill to MeeToo7

to MeeToo7
I've run the .bat file for several days now, and it appears that data is being downloaded, ie, I get a strings of #'s that appear inside the Command window, and there is a line that says 3426726 bytes were downloaded.

How can I confirm that this is new data? On the NAV gui, it still indicates that 5/13/02 was the last date that definitions were updated.

Attitudeda
Cool Cruiser
MVM
USA

Attitudeda

MVM

said by neill:
How can I confirm that this is new data? On the NAV gui, it still indicates that 5/13/02 was the last date that definitions were updated.
There have not been any new updates since 05/13/03. I have mine set to run every 4 hours to check for updates. The only day I don't have set is Wed since LU runs then.

Old Computer8
Premium Member
join:2002-04-12
France

Old Computer8 to MeeToo7

Premium Member

to MeeToo7
The NAV GUI give you the real last release update.
There is no new files today (from 13th May).
Each time you launch the .bat file you get the same definitions file. Have to wait new one .

»www.symantec.com/avcente ··· NNT.html

The script under Win2k works fine.
Old Computer8

Old Computer8 to MeeToo7

Premium Member

to MeeToo7
F14 Tomcat

You beat me !
You are typing a lot faster than me..
My native language if far different.