Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dumwaldo
Premium
join:2001-03-12

3 recommendations

nothing about newsgroups at the top of the forum

i just noticed that newsgroups were again slipping off the forum so i just thought i would write something new and fresh to see if it sparks any good conversation.

ok normally i try to avoid debates regarding what is "best" because i feel it is a largly unanswerable question no matter what direction it is aimed. i am going to make an exception today and drop some knowledge like never before here. there are several ways you can get releases and i am going to outline some of the good and some of the bad points to each method.

i am not trying to claim to be a guru and i am not trying to say i know anything better than someone else but i do consider myself to be more experienced than the average person. i have explored virtually every vessel of transportation used in the warez scene and think i can offer some good advice based on that experience.

PEER TO PEER
this is the most popular medium in the warez world but that does not by any measure mean it is the best. P2P is plauged with a myriad of problems. the first and most obvious is the malware associated with every popular P2P application.

another issue holding back P2P is the lack of reliable fast servers to offer downloads. since you are downloading from other private users the source you are downloading from is liable to disconnect at any time for any duration of time. any honest P2P user has to admit they have their fare share of incomplete downloads.

finally the big downside to P2P is that when you share with others through P2P you expose yourself in the most extreme way possible. sharing means offering a list of every illegal file on your computer to any annonomous user that has the same program. if you are going to use P2P and share files it is almost pointless to even be concerned with the malware since you are willingly transmitting the most sensitive information on your hard drive.

now that i have seemingly trashed P2P let me point out some of the good points. P2P owns the rare mp3 scene. if you are looking for hard to find or very specific mp3's there is nothing out there that can compare to P2P. it is truly a music lovers heaven. wile mp3's are generally a few meg in size they are still small enough that it is practical to download from other peoples limited bandwith personal connections. the smaller the files you deal with the less chance you have of suffering incomplete downloads.

P2P is also the largest community on the internet and as a result finding help and information is remarkable easy when compared to some of the alternatives.

IRC (Internet Relay Chat)
the original P2P platform that most mainstream P2P apps are trying to emulate is IRC. IRC functions in much the same way as P2P apps generally speaking however things are broken into smaller groups making things more difficult to search out. IRC uses several different networks and each network is again subdivided into smaller channels. if you dont know where to look for something it could be an eternal search. P2P just puts everybody in the same place so it is easy to find things.

the difficulty associated with finding things is a double edge blade. on one side it is a drawback to using IRC because it can be very difficult to find exactly what you want. on the other side this could be considered a positive aspect of IRC because should you choose to share through IRC you will be better hidden than if you did so through a P2P network that lumps everybody together in one place.

the most popular client for IRC is mIRC or some scripted derivitave of it. while mIRC is a great program it was also written with the intention that others would be able to write add-on's for it. as a result mIRC is one of the most well known programs on the internet as far as aspiring programmers (ie. wannabe hackers).

when i started using IRC it was on a very modestly sized network with some friendly and mostly trustable people. i spent about a year on this network before i ventured onto any of the big networks. having some experience proved to be a valuable asset when i did start using other networks because i quickly realized how vulnerable i would have been to irc script kiddies that prowl the big networks looking for victims. i am on the fastest cable service available in america so it is apparently a very inviting domain for script kiddies to probe for vulnerabilities.

once a new user gains a full grasp on how to use mIRC and configure things to offer them decent security IRC can offer some great communities to become part of. a savy IRC user can establish enough contacts with other users to keep their finger on the pulse of things and always find out about new rooms or location of releases quickly. staying on top of these things can be the difference between finding accessable 0-day releases and waiting in a queue for 3 days to get on a server that cuts out after 46% of your file is transfered.

another great benefit of IRC is that unlike P2P on IRC when you share you get rewarded. sharing on P2P just gets you slower downloads, sharing on IRC gets you distro access to more private ftp's and locked room servers. its a system that actually recognizes the difference between sharing and leeching and rewards accordingly.

long term deadication and support of a room could even lead to unlimited distro access without the condition of serving or even a position administering distro.

the main thing about using IRC is to have a good understanding of how things work. a good way to learn about this is to join a small network and type /join #mytestplace and a new room will be created titled mytestplace and you will be the oped user in the room. then you can start another copy od mIRC and join the same network and room and you will also be the non voiced user in the room. then you can experiment with different options and compare options that are available to ops that are not available to other users. its a good way to see things from both sides of the fence and can offer an invaluable education and keep you from getting in sticky situations.

continued in next post...
--
So is it worth it? You better believe it! The newsgroups are an awesome resource. If you're not using them and are ready to kick it up a level check them out. You won't believe your eyes! ( »www.slyck.com/newsgroups.html )

dumwaldo
Premium

1 recommendation

USENET NEWSGROUPS
i have made no secret that i personally feel this is the best place to go for releases. i will try to keep my personal feeling out of it here and offer an honest objective view of newsgroups. they do have drawbacks and i will not try to hide that.

the most common mistake made with newsgroups that is easily avoided is the software used to access them. newsgroups function in the same manner as e-mail and as a result many people try to use e-mail readers to download large binary attachments from newsgroups. at one time this was how things had to be done and outside applications had to be used to reassemble parts but those days are long gone. some of the newsreaders i would suggest are grabit, Xnews and last, the most powerfull newsreader i have encountered, newsbin pro. if you go with newsbin pro be carefull setting it, make sure to uncheck the automatic downloads box or you will download entire newsgroups to your hard drive.

once you get a client configured and get onto a newsgroup to start downloading there are still problems you can run into. the most common problem is incomplete files. unfortunatley in the case of smaller files like mp3's there is not much that can be done to get whats incomplete. the best advice i could offer is to sign up with www.teranews.com and get a free account to download 50 MB per day.

in the case of files larger than mp3's most usenet posters will use multipart archives when posting. in the case of missing part to a multipart archive there is often a solution provided with the original post. on usenet parity files are used to offer a generic fill file that can be used to rebuild any missing part in the archive. generally a poster will provide 20% to 25% redundancy when making parity files so if an archive is 20 parts long they will also post 4 or 5 parity files. the link in my sig goes to a guide that explains it better than my babbeling ass. the point of it all is that incomplete archives have been addressed within the usenet system and in most cases it is no longer an issue. for some users with very poor newsgroup access it is still an issue but in those cases it is generally such neglected service that nothing short of complete replacemet could save the service.

another problem that plauges just about every newsgroup user is the news server their ISP offers has very short retention time that it saves a file for. in order to use the news server provided by my ISP i must make sure to download from them at least once every 2 days or i will miss files. many people are just weekend warriors who look around on peer to peer saturday and sunday. if this is the type of recreational user that you are then newsgroups are to fast moving a community for your taste.

another downside related to usenet newsgroups is the overall paitence involved with using them.for the most part proper posts on newsgroups are limited to a certin amount per day. the reason for this is to try and keep the resources available to everybody and not have any individual or group hog up everything at the expense of other groups. what this translates to is no more than 350 meg per day posted. a VCD is typically spread out over 4 days to accomodate for the size with half a cd posted each day. when something very popular like SW EP2 comes out it is generally flooded onto usenet in less than 24 hours but this is not an accepted practice so i do not endorse this behavior but thought it was worth a mention.

in short usenet is a fast moving, laid back community where you sit on the edge of your seat waiting and grab it when its available so you dont miss it. if you are looking for 0-day access this aint it but if you are looking for 0-week access this should fill nicley. finding posting is not very difficult and groups stay consistant for years at a stretch unlike IRC rooms that move around every few months.

the biggest good side of usenet that i can mention is that it offers the unique opportunity of fixing most shortcoming in the system by tossing a few bucks a month at it. for as little as $10 a month a person can get an account with a premium provider like easynews that solves any retention or completion issues suffered at the hands of an incapeable ISP news server.

continued next post...
--
So is it worth it? You better believe it! The newsgroups are an awesome resource. If you're not using them and are ready to kick it up a level check them out. You won't believe your eyes! ( »www.slyck.com/newsgroups.html )

dumwaldo
Premium
reply to dumwaldo

FXP GROUPS
these are the rag-tag misfits of the internet. imagine wild dogs that eventually band together and you have most FXP groups. these people will teach you nothing but if you have a clue what you are doing already and want in it is not that difficult. after all they are wandering theives that hold virtually nothing sacred. in fact they hold so little sacred that should you get involved with an FXP group and not know what you are doing do not be surprised when you discover one of the group members has exploited your connection in some way.

to the FXP group member the internet is a big playground. often these people will act like they know more than you because they indeed do know more than you and will use what they know to play with you.

FXP groups will wander IRC and web based forums maintianing meeting places where they will share stories of exploits and information regarding compromised systems being used to host the most recent warez.

if you know who kevin mitnick is and consider the guy a hero you might have a good time playing in the FXP groups but i am guessing if you have even read this far through this post chances are you are not in need of the advice i am offering here. FXP groups are NOT the place for a newbie to be sticking their nose.
--

WildGod
God Is Dead
Premium
join:2002-01-30
NYC
reply to dumwaldo

not true about all P2P

eDonkey contains no malware, is fast and 100% reliable for downloading files.
when used with Sharereactor and other sites.
If im correct, dont you have to pay for newsgroups?
eDonkey is free.
--
AOL DSL SUCKS

AR
Premium,ExMod 2001-04
join:2000-09-21
Toronto, ON

never mind
[text was edited by author 2002-11-23 06:25:27]

dumwaldo
Premium
reply to dumwaldo

FTP TOPSITES
hmmmm how can i put this politley? if you have nothing to offer then screw off. no release group is in need of cable or dsl servers. if you wish to get access to true ftp topsites that are named, ranked and truly considerd the "scene" then you had better be bringing something to the table and it better be something good.

lets suppose you were a sys admin for symantec and had access to early releases of all their products as well as the ability to set up a ftp site on a huge pipe. then you could go to a group that releases software like suppose DOD and make a deal to supply them with software and an ftp in exchange for access to all new releases available in the "scene". you would be rewarded with pre-0-day access.

so whats the downside of getting involved with a release group? just ask the former sys admin from symantec, Barry Erickson, that is now sitting in a federal jail cell for the favors he exchanged with DOD. i wonder what kind of favors he is exchanging these days. the "scene" is not the playground of script kiddies and certainly not open to the general public. if you are currently using peer to peer to get your files i feel totally confident in saying your best chance to crack the "scene" is at least a year off and much education stands in front of you in the meantime. then once you get there expect many people that are in the higher echelons of IRC to think they too are on the "scene" and downplay how much you truly do risk to support bootlegging.

the straight forward hard reality is if you dont know the difference between an @ and a + on irc then you have about as much chance of cracking the scene as a mouse does of getting an elephant pregnant.

so whats the best way to get releases? IMHO it is usenet. every type of release be it game, mp3 or video is put out on a newsgroup. all you have to do is sit back and wait for it to be sent to you. searching is not as automated as P2P so there is some extra effort establishing a list of groups to follow to suit your interests. however the groups are not as fragmented as the rooms on IRC because everything is together on one network and the group names are mostly much more logical than room names.

there are no queues to wait in, downloading is done off fast servers, if you see it there you can download it with no fear the user will go offline before your download completes, if there is something malicious included there will be warning attached to the files, you can leech newsgroups for years and never be expected to upload anything, virtually every "scene" release gets posted on newsgroups as well as many non scene releases like DVD rip movies, television shows and music.

my intention with this post was to re-iterate the value of newsgroups and not to put down any other mediums used. if you can gain something from this and benefit then great that is exactly why i wrote this. if you find something i said here offensive then please feel free to reply and add your opinion or experience but understand i did not intend to demean any form of file sharing so please do not feel as if anything is personal.

i have visited into all of the above areas of the internet bootleg scene and always returned into newsgroups because it is the most forward thinking medium of aquiring warez of any type. offering dead solid reliability for numerous years even predating the world wide web itself newsgroups were established to serv everybody and not as a private playground for tech heads. the system was created to make equals of us all and it does exactly that. if you have never examined usenet newsgroups as an option you have done yourself a dis-service.
--

dumwaldo
Premium
reply to WildGod

quote:
said by wildxgod
If im correct, dont you have to pay for newsgroups?

you done HAVE to pay for newsgroups but since many ISP's give less than good newsgroup service there are many premium news services where you CAN pay for service.

everybody has a free news server with their ISP. a look over your ISP's home page or in their F.A.Q. would be a good place to find the address of your news server. generally it is the same as your e-mail server but use the word news where you usually use the word mail.

once you know your news server address the link in my sig should be enough to get you connected if you just want to take a look.

you mention sharereactor offering very good reliability with edonkey. if it is not to much trouble could you explain how share reactor works. specifically how do releases get on there that it can be reliable.

i have noticed sharereactor is a big favorite of P2P users and would like to know more about it because i do not know very much about it.

*** note to araina
there are lots of different newsgroups that host files. the groups where you will find files that can be downloaded almost all start with alt.binaries and then a description of what is in the group. for instance alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.2000s would have mp3's of music made in the 2000's.

there are some sites that can offer help finding stuff on usenet. to get an idea what groups to look for try checking out these sites...
»www.newzbin.com/

»www.binnewz.co.uk//

»www.binnetwork.net/
--

AR
Premium,ExMod 2001-04
Toronto, ON

I am seeing a lot of alt.binaries newsgroups here. Lemme see how a couple of game newsgroups are. I am using Outlook Express, is that ok?
--
What? Me worry?

dumwaldo
Premium

reply to dumwaldo

i would strongly suggest using a reader that is more suited for news...

why dont you give Xnews a try... »www.slyck.com/xnews.html

or try grabit...
»www.shemes.com/grabit/
[text was edited by author 2002-06-10 18:28:14]

WildGod
God Is Dead
Premium
NYC
reply to dumwaldo

can u give us some free ones? are they any good?
if its free ill give it a shot.
--
AOL DSL SUCKS

Free Loader5

join:2002-06-07
Ps2 Land
reply to dumwaldo

If I had some good news servers id give it a shot and im still trying to figure out what [56/56} means when like 30 of them say that, how can i tell if im getting all the files ?

AR
Premium,ExMod 2001-04
Toronto, ON

reply to WildGod

never mind
[text was edited by author 2002-11-23 06:25:54]

AR
Premium,ExMod 2001-04
Toronto, ON
reply to dumwaldo

And how do i search for a specific file (with Xnews)? How do i know what is a good newsgroup for games, for movies etc? And how do I get all the files (could be 1 or could be 70 of them)?

Thanks.
--
What? Me worry?

JohnNyc4

join:2002-04-29
Jersey City, NJ
reply to AR

I would go with newsbin pro version 4. Its really the best with Yenc support and a clean interface. You can basically find a free copy on any p2p if you look for it so no reason to go with express.

Im not sure but i think most school newsevers expunge the binaries. I could be wrong so dont take this as the truth.

Ive gotten lots of xbox games and some pc titles from the newsies. Eagerly waiting for Warcraft3 to popup there if i dont get it first from IRC.

Free Loader5

join:2002-06-07
Ps2 Land
reply to dumwaldo

From what Im seeing you use filter to search for something.... and Im confused just like you are on getting stuff b/c it has all those numbers..

AR
Premium,ExMod 2001-04
Toronto, ON
reply to JohnNyc4

Click for full size
Only a fraction of the binaries newsgroups on my university server.
--
What? Me worry?

AR
Premium,ExMod 2001-04
Toronto, ON
reply to dumwaldo

From X-news FAQ

quote:
Q: ... decode multipart binaries?

A: By default, Xnews performs multipart threading in groups that have "binaries" in the name (much like NewsXpress does). Multipart threading means it will put all the parts of a file and roll it under a thread. If a file has all the parts, you will see a 4-block cube icon next to it; if it has one or more missing parts, the cube will have a missing block. Also, if you look at the lines column, it will tell you exactly how many parts there are and how many are present.

To queue a multipart file, just select the thread (with the block icon), and hit space. Xnews will tag all the individual parts for you. Then hit decode.

Hint: with certain file types, it's possible to "sample" the file this way: expand the multipart thread, then individually queue a few parts, e.g., 1/10, 4/10, 8/10 You must queue the first part. This works well for, say, mp3 files but obviously not zip files as they will be corrupted and unreadable. (Caveat: I think "sampling" doesn't work for MIME-encoded files.)

So if there is a newsgroup and there is a threa where they have the file cut up into 80 rar files, if I do the above, will I be able to download all of them?
--
What? Me worry?

Chemcat

join:2001-05-22
Kennesaw, GA
reply to dumwaldo

Very informative and well written posts as usual Dumwaldo. I've been learning quite a bit I didn't know about all kinds of file sharing systems since coming to the forums here. You have touched on most all the major advantages/disadvantages to the different systems and succinctly made the points for and against all of them.
I've tried the newsgroups in the past with limited success, my ISP which uses webusenet only retains files for 3 days and sometimes posts fail to propagate even then. It seems that for me to be able to reliably obtain complete files of bigger files such as 2 and 3 CD movies I would have to dedicate time each day to the newsgroups and hope all posts propagated completely or do as you say and buy access to Easy News or one of the other long retention paid subscriber news services. I've tried Xnews and it seems pretty straghtforward with good tutorials and help files and I love the idea and logic behind the parity files. I guess I'll give 'em another shot, I think it makes good sense to have all the tools you can available to you... Even if the powers that be manage to shut down the P2P apps I don't think they'll be able to make a dent in either IRC or the Newgroups.
--
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

dumwaldo
Premium
reply to WildGod

quote:
said by wildxgod
can u give us some free ones? are they any good?
if its free ill give it a shot.

everybody has a free news server with their ISP. a look over your ISP's home page or in their F.A.Q. would be a good place to find the address of your news server. generally it is the same as your e-mail server but use the word news where you usually use the word mail.

quote:
said by Free Loader
If I had some good news servers id give it a shot and im still trying to figure out what [56/56} means when like 30 of them say that, how can i tell if im getting all the files ?

the above illustration explains what the (56/56) means
--

seqrets
Premium
join:2001-05-03
Nederland, TX
reply to dumwaldo

Very well written & very informative! Excellent job!!! Kudos to you dumwaldo!!!

biota

join:2001-11-27
Ashtabula, OH
reply to dumwaldo

Nice post. Usenet is the only file sharing resource I have patience with anymore.

ironwalker
World Renowned
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-31
Keansburg, NJ

reply to JohnNyc4

Re: nothing about newsgroups at the top of the forum

nm
[text was edited by author 2002-06-10 23:32:50]

antiserious
The Future ain't what it used to be
Premium
join:2001-12-12
Scranton, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dumwaldo

... said by dumwaldo ... "IRC uses several different networks and each network is again subdivided into smaller channels. if you dont know where to look for something it could be an eternal search." ...

... boy, am I ever finding this out ... ...

... thanks for the post, BTW ... good job ...

--
"Suicidal Twin Kills Brother By Mistake ... film at 11"

dumwaldo
Premium
reply to WildGod

quote:
said by wildxgod
eDonkey contains no malware, is fast and 100% reliable for downloading files.
when used with Sharereactor and other sites.
for starters i have to mention that during the install i simply unchecked the last option like wildxgod advises in this post... »/forum/remark%···ode=flat
and there was no spyware included with edonkey. no trojans. nothing malicious in any way.

i will give edonkey a big thumbs up for being malware free.

having used and tinkered with edonkey and sharereactor for about 7 hours i still have to contend it is largly unsuited for large files such as movies and games.

my contention comes from the supply limitations. there is simply not enough bandwith to spread around to everybody. for the entire time i was connected with edonkey i was uploading solid at the limit that i placed, yet for 7 hours i was unable to get anything i attempted to download to start transfering.

this is in my opinion a sign of a limitation in the supply not being able to meet the demand. the reason for this is because there is no bandwith managment in place to effectivley spread out what is available in a fair manner. i uploaded over 500 meg yet i was still unable to download even a 10 meg sample file.

if you really want to support edonkey then i suggest you go back and read through some of my earlier posts regarding usenet newsgroups and get yourself going with them. you will be able to get releases off the newsgroups faster than you can get them now and then share them on edonkey adding to the supply for new releases without even using any of the resources of the network.

you will be able to give without taking up space on anybody elses server allowing some others space to download. you can also maximize your downtime because you can expect speeds in excess of 5 Mb/s when you download off the news server. the amount of time your uploads are inconvenienced while you download is cut to a fraction of what it presently is because you can download so fast.

and just as a final benefit the files you share will be the most desired and highly sought files so you will be able to contribute what is needed most.

my collection is for the most part entirley newsgroup fueled. i shared only a small fraction of what i have and noticed immediatley that everything i had was VERY popular.

i was pretty sure by the location but i noticed you posted in the OOL forum recently so i will assume you are on OOL cable service. your news server address is news.optonline.net and you do not need a name or password because it is domain specific to users of OOL service only.

check out the link in my sig for an excellent guide that explains the basics. there is one thing i would like to mention. the newsreaders suggested in slyck's guides are not really the best IMHO. while the full version of agent is an excellent all around newsreader the free version is crippled so much it is mostly unusable. then there is Xnews. i have only recently tried Xnews myself and i wasnt all that fond of it to be honest. i found GrabIt »www.shemes.com/grabit/ to be a very good and intuitive newsreader that did a complete job and is free with no strings attached.

i would definatley suggest starting out with GrabIt and by the time you are ready for newsbin pro you will have no problem finding a copy
--

WildGod
God Is Dead
Premium
NYC

i respect your opinion however i get at least two movies a night as well as an application or game or two
set it befor i go to bed and when im home from work at least 3-4 files are awaiting me.
while im sorry u didnt have a good experience i think u should post some of the problems u had. there are many people on her who love to see u up and running the way we are. of course its gonna depend on your pc and broadband configuration. im sure newsgroups are great and once edonkey fades away i will try them. the donkey is just too easy to let go. i mean no other P2P has sites such as sharereactor of filenexus devoted to it. every other P2P you need to search out stuff, here its laid out for u.
hope u keep trying the donkey and post your problems so we could help. ill be posting my newsgroup problems one day lol
--
AOL DSL SUCKS

[text was edited by author 2002-06-11 20:40:02]

storm64007
Premium
join:2001-05-21
Freeport, NY

Dumwaldo, same here as wild. I get excellent speeds on the donkey. Like i have stated before i download a movie every night with no problems. If you also saw some of my previous posts i posted jpegs of the speeds i am getting. If it didnt work well for me of course i wouldnt use it and move on to something else but i am very pleased with the way it works here on my end.

dumwaldo
Premium
reply to WildGod

basically the problem i had was nomatter what i tried to download nothing would transfer. every file i attempted to get went to a status of looking... and just sat there waiting. the sample file i had queued when i first started the program was still waiting after 7 hours of waiting in queue and that was for a file that had been posted on usenet a week ago.

if you enjoy it and are satisfied then far be it from me to judge that. after what i feel was an honest evaluation of the software i decided it does not offer as much as newsgroups do. thats just my experience and perhaps i will try the donkey again in the future and find better sucsess.

i like to make my decisions from an informed perspective so i took a look at what seems to be the best peer to peer has to offer. i thank you for your help and enjoyed the experience but it has just re-afirmed my pro-usenet position.

i hate to repeat myself but i am guessing you didnt look behind the links so i just wanted to point them out to you..

quote:
said by wildxgod
i mean no other P2P has sites such as sharereactor of filenexus devoted to it. every other P2P you need to search out stuff, here its laid out for u.
while you are technically correct because it is not a peer to peer network usenet does offer extrodinarily similar services. some of the web pages that i think do a better job than others are...
»www.newzbin.com/
»www.binnewz.co.uk//
»www.binnetwork.net/
give them a look.
--

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-24
here
reply to dumwaldo

Comcast put a monthly limit on newsgroups
1gig, I think and that includes headers.

Chemcat

join:2001-05-22
Kennesaw, GA

reply to dumwaldo

eDonkey works well for me also. I was'nt getting much activity either though until I opened up ports. Check your id number and if it's below 1 million, that's your problem. This is from the FAQ:
Q: Why is my ID number low?

A: You get a low ID number(below 1million) if the server, and therefore other clients, can't connect to your machine. This could be because you are behind a firewall that blocks the port your client listens on, because you are using IP masquerading, or many other things.

It also means that you won't be able to transfer files with someone else with a low ID number. They can't get files from you and you can't get files from them. So if at all possible you want to allow connections on port 4662 to the machine you are running the donkey on.

Q: Why does it take so long to share my files?

A: This should only happen the first time you share the files. The donkey must examine the file to give it a unique ID. After it has done this they should load quite quickly.

Q: What ports does the donkey use?

A: It can run over any port. The defaults it uses are:
TCP port 4661 to connect to the server.
TCP port 4662 to connect to other clients.
UDP port 4665 to send messages to servers other then the one you are connected to.
--
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

[text was edited by author 2002-06-11 21:55:21]

NPire

join:2001-05-01
New York, NY
reply to dumwaldo

One gig in a month w/headers?!?!

Alright, I have been using newsgroups for a few days now and am hooked. Unfortunately I have a comcast connection and have already used my allotment for this month (and a little of next month's too ). Is there any cheap or free news server that is as amazingly fast as giganews? This is the fastest file sharing system I have seen (and to think I was sitting on IRC like a sucker for all this time), I was maxing out my downstream cap the whole time. Anyway, comcast gave me a little taste of it but it looks like I am done until early July...