uniqs

dp
MVM
join:2000-12-08
Greensburg, PA

dp

MVM

Ad-Aware 5.83 Update ZIP Only

I don't know how many chose to go this route but this ZIP file only contained the new EXE and AWR files, no remove/install cycle. All you have to do is replace the 2 files. Can't get any easier than that. That is how I upgraded my v5.83. However, there is a slight downside to this method also and following is the post I just made at Lavasoft's Support Forum.

Was very glad to see that there was just a update available containing the EXE and AWR files, no uninstall or reinstall required
However, you may want to caution your users that choose to do it this way to NOT edit the version number as it appears in Add/Remove. It will lead to problems when they do run the uninstall. Right now my Add/Remove says Ad-aware 5.82 but I'm really running 5.83. If I was to go into the registry and change that 5.82 to 5.83, then when I would run the uninstall routine the 5.83 would remain in Add/Remove since the install.log will still have 5.82 in it and that's what the uninstaller will be looking for. I think it's great to be able to quickly update this way rather than go through the remove/install cycle but I hope in the near future that you do away with including the version number in Add/Remove.

Randy Bell
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24
Santa Clara, CA

Randy Bell

Premium Member

Everytime there's an Ad-Aware upgrade, I just install on top of the old version, then remove the old entry from Add/Remove Programs using the TweakUI utility.

dp
MVM
join:2000-12-08
Greensburg, PA

dp

MVM

said by Randy Bell:
Everytime there's an Ad-Aware upgrade, I just install on top of the old version, then remove the old entry from Add/Remove Programs using the TweakUI utility.
Just dumping the 2 changed files over the old ones isn't really installing. You'll have a newer version than what is shown in Add/Remove and if one edits it to reflect the same version number then when you uninstall the entry will remain in Add/Remove since it will be different that what is in the install.log. This is the first time that they offered just an upgrade ZIP file with no install, I was just pointing out that if you use the ZIP file then you shouldn't edit the Add/Remove entry. I understand your method of doing it and I agree with it. I haven't been a fan of the installs/uninstalls of this particular program when nothing in the registry is ever changing except the &^%$% version number.

gt7697c
Premium Member
join:2001-02-16
The Hive

gt7697c to dp

Premium Member

to dp
Let me get some pop corn.:)

Interesting to see how this plays out, with the usual history of the Ad-aware threads, this may be a long one.
Reverend Ike
Premium Member
join:2001-08-24
Sacramento, CA

Reverend Ike

Premium Member

You're probably right.

The same comments were made after the previous AA upgrade. If I remember correctly, nobody could offer any valid reason for Lavasoft to keep including the version number in the Add/Remove entry name ...