Premium Member
join:2002-04-28
North Myrtle Beach, SC

Time Out$

Premium Member

Change that to SYSTEM SAFTEY MONITOR.

Thanks for the headsup upieper:
You have the name of the product confused for some
It is Saftey not Security so I am going to post this info.

At this link there was a problem with win 98 for pompey and the developer responded on version 1.88. Almost immediatly the developer corrected the problem and came out with a version 1.89. I call that service. And the product is free so far.

»New version of System Safety Monitor

This is the info on the new version:

System Safety Monitor 1.9.0

»maxcomputing.narod.ru/ss ··· ?lang=en

This program monitors and discards (if you wish) all changes, made to important registry keys. Be sure, while it's running no program (usually trojans, viruses and worms) will be able to add itself to registry autostart keys and intercept opening of EXE-files.
In addition SSM works like application firewall letting you to control what applications could be strarted on your system

Features

Allows you to control which programs and applications can be opened on your computer.
Offers a choice of two modes – User and Administrator. In Administrator mode you can set your preferences to control programs. Access to this mode can be protected with an encrypted password to prevent anyone changing your settings. In User mode no changes can be made to your settings.
Supervises changes to important registry keys when installing new programs.

Download SSM version 1.9.0 (beta) (English) (399 kb)

SSM Help (Russian)

SSM Help (English)

SSM Help (French)

SSM Description (Polish)

Download old SSM version 1.8.9 (English) (312 kb)

Please note: confg-files of SSM 1.8.9 and 1.9.0 are incompatible

Some of you may still only have this version.

»www.webattack.com/get/sy ··· ty.shtml

SysSafe Monitor 1.86 Date added: 5/19/2002
Developer's web site
monitor application and registry activity
System Safety Monitor is a system monitoring tool with additional application firewalling. You can keep a list of trusted applications and be alerted each time a program, that is not on your trusted list, is executed. The optional black-list allows you to specify programs that will be prevented from running. You can also have System Safety Monitor alert you whenever a new start-up key is added to the registry. This allows you to prevent software from installing itself as an auto-start item in the registry without your knowledge. The included logging feature enables you to view a log of all changes that have been made to the registry.

Will block or alert on any attempt to change guarded registry keys.
Allows you to control which programs run at system startup.
Maintains a list of running applications and allows you to terminate any application immediately.
Maintains a list of Black–Listed (banned) and Trusted (allowed) programs and applications. These lists can be easily edited.
Allows you to block specific windows (including websites) from opening.
Can be set to run automatically on system startup.
[text was edited by author 2002-06-22 05:13:20]
Time Out$

Time Out$

Premium Member

Thanks MAX.

»burma69
Time Out$

Time Out$

Premium Member

For reference only- Past Post from the Developer.

»Re: New program to help your firewall

Re: New program to help your firewall
Hello.

Thank you all for testing SSM. I hope I will fix all the bugs you've been talking about in future.

I would like to explain something, that is not clear:

1) SS and SSM have no conflicts and doing different things. You should continue using SS.
2) SSM does not watching what some application is doing. If your web-browser will decide to delete all files from your HDD, SSM will not stop it, but if your web-browser will start "format.com" then SSM can take action.
3) SSM does not trace a child-processes (flaw). So if old (DOS or Win31) application was started, SSM will only notify you that virtual machine (WINOLDAP.MOd, NTVDM.EXE, ...) was started.
4) SSM does not using Internet connection under any circumstances
5) SSM does not guard incoming/outgoing connections. It's firewall's job.
6) SSM does not halt new applications until you decide what to do in windows 9x. This feature is applied only in NT. (flaw)
7) DonPunkMCs registry key is used as config-file backup. Your config is automatically restored from the registry when .ssm.cfg file was deleted.
8) SSM could be started only from directory when it was executed in first time. To move SSM to another folder you should open "Uninstall" tab and delete configuration backup. Note this if you are prompted for password during startup.
9) SSM monitors only guarded registry keys. The list of guarded registry keys available in "Registry keys" tab.

Max Burmistrov,
SSM developer.

Vampirefo
Premium Member
join:2000-12-11
Huntington, WV

Vampirefo to upieper

Premium Member

to upieper

Re: System security monitor new version

Here is a couple of pics, this version rocks, it got so much, I will be doing a lot of testing, This program has taken care of the hook problem, plus much more, need to test all the new features.

It installs great, and has work flawlessly, but I have only had it an hour or so, Max has out done himself on this one.

Uriel3
join:2001-11-26

Uriel3 to upieper

to upieper
It's a great software, it says 1.9.0 is beta. I'm on a cable connection 1200/190 and it took 7 and a half minutes to d/l 399kb. Also, I wonder why the site needs to be in the Trusted Site zone in order to download. Please note: confg-files of SSM 1.8.9 and 1.9.0 are incompatible.

Occasu$
join:2001-07-20
North Vancouver, BC

Occasu$

It doesn't necessarily have to be in the trusted zone, just needs to have active scripting enabled

Uriel3
join:2001-11-26

Uriel3

said by Occasu:
...just needs to have active scripting enabled
Ok thanks, it's just that I've never needed to enable active scripting before to d/l a zipped file.
[text was edited by author 2002-06-22 13:52:37]

dja
Happy to Help
Premium Member
join:2002-03-25
Niagara

dja to upieper

Premium Member

to upieper
'Timed -out' (7x) now!

A blazing 600bps and falling.

Let us know when it's available from a country that actually has internet.

Occasu$
North Vancouver, BC

Occasu$

said by dja:
A blazing 600bps and falling.

Let us know when it's available from a country that actually has internet.

good things come to those that wait :)
Occasu$

Occasu$ to upieper

to upieper
ssm190.zip
408,910 bytes
I tried attaching the file.

PS: Always scan files for viruses and trojans no matter where they come from.

Vampirefo
Premium Member
join:2000-12-11
Huntington, WV

Vampirefo to dja

Premium Member

to dja
I have also uploaded the file to a faster download site »vampirefo.can.com/ssm.zip It is Trojan and virus free, but as said above take a second and scan it anyway.

dja
Happy to Help
Premium Member
join:2002-03-25
Niagara

dja to upieper

Premium Member

to upieper
Thank-you for the new link.

It will help us, and reduce the traffic on the obviously limited Russian network.

And LOOK!: You've been given a credit!

Lithp
Thay It...Thay It
join:2001-11-22
Beverly Hills, CA

Lithp to Vampirefo

to Vampirefo
Do my eyes deceive me? Is that my name in lights??

Occasu$
North Vancouver, BC

Occasu$

With the help and participation of the above mentioned this is sure to be one of the best quality apps out there . Keep up the good work and I thank you all as well .

pompeyfan
Premium Member
join:2001-12-25
Australia

pompeyfan to upieper

Premium Member

to upieper
Just downloaded it today, haven't been here for a few days, sounding pretty good, look forward to everyone's opinion on it.

Lithp
Thay It...Thay It
join:2001-11-22
Beverly Hills, CA

Lithp to upieper

to upieper
Well SSM is up and running and I am loving it! Very smooth so far. I am still tinkering with it but it seems to be doing a good job.

upieper
join:2001-12-23

upieper to pompeyfan

to pompeyfan
The program is getting better and better... Still, the app activity filtering wouldn't prevent a malicious program to start under WIN98... :-( (I think that important feature is working under WIN2000 and XP(?), though)

If that would be fixed this program would be an absolute MUST HAVE also for non WIN2000 and XP users.

pompeyfan
Premium Member
Australia

pompeyfan to upieper

Premium Member

to upieper
quote:
The program is getting better and better... Still, the app activity filtering wouldn't prevent a malicious program to start under WIN98
But it does work with 98 in user mode.

upieper

upieper

What SSM in user mode does under WIN98 is to SHUT DOWN programs which are not explicitly allowed(trusted list) after they have already been executed. If the program started were a trojan or whatever malware SSM would not prevent the malicious program from deploying its "payload".

burma69
join:2002-05-06
Russia

burma69 to upieper

to upieper
Thanks for your responses !

Unfortunately, SSM still couldn't intercept 100% of API calls. I have a great amount of apps that can start and set windows hooks ("DLL Injection") without SSM's knowledge.
I will keep working on this problem.

In a next few months I'll be very busy, so I'm afraid that it wouldn't be easy to find a time for work
[text was edited by author 2002-06-23 06:16:25]

jansson_mark
Markus Jansson
Premium Member
join:2001-08-05
Finland

jansson_mark to upieper

Premium Member

to upieper

Whats the difference?

Can someone please tell me the difference between this and Trojan Trap? Which is better?

Time Out$
Premium Member
North Myrtle Beach, SC

Time Out$

Premium Member

I doubt it Markus, it is not a "better" thing to make a comparison..each have certain feature... TTT has more depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

This one..Allows you to control which programs and applications can be opened on your computer.
Offers a choice of two modes – User and Administrator. In Administrator mode you can set your preferences to control programs. Access to this mode can be protected with an encrypted password to prevent anyone changing your settings. In User mode no changes can be made to your settings.
Supervises changes to important registry keys when installing new programs.

And it is still in the development and testing stages.

Do not you think it is a little too soon to compare them..
when it all gets finished it certainly will fill a gap for some users.

Have you tried it yet?
Time Out$

Time Out$

Premium Member

Trojan Trap

What is it and how does it work?
»www.tinysoftware.com/hom ··· rap_home
Resources Protection
»www.tinysoftware.com/hom ··· trap_res
Content Filtering, Viruses
»www.tinysoftware.com/hom ··· _content
What Is Sandbox?
»www.tinysoftware.com/hom ··· sbx_over

SANDBOX PROTECTION, FIREWALL PROTECTION, INTRUSION DETECTION
»www.tinysoftware.com/hom ··· nologies

How and What Does Tiny Trojan Trap Protect?

Trojan Trap consists of a series of executables, DLLs and kernel drivers to protect the different parts of your system. Each component fulfills a certain task, which builds a bulletproof protective wall around your system.
Wrap around the application
With Trojan Trap you can create a closed environment (sandbox) around any application (known or unknown) and restrict its access to your computer's resources. Within this closed environment any code can run and access calls of the application to system resources. Drivers, the registry database (all configurations), and the file system are shielded and constantly monitored to protect the privacy and integrity of your system.

Auto- and Pre- configuration
When installing Trojan Trap, the program scans the workstation for already installed or known applications. In addition, it sets up pre-configured default sandboxes around the most common Web browsers (Netscape and Internet Explorer), email clients (Outlook, Outlook Express and Lotus Notes), and a restricted area for unknown applications (high restricted application group).

Proactive Security Measures
Trojan Trap checks for application activities and does not base its security mechanism on a comparison with a database of hostile applet references. It checks all actions and access to resources, but only suspicious or unwanted actions are blocked. Hence, it is the first commercially available behavior checker, which not only protects against intended hostile attacks, but also against unintentionally buggy applications. Any other application within your user environment can run and access resources without being restricted by Trojan Trap. You can view which components are installed and running on your computer, where they came from, monitor what an application does, and which resources it accesses.

Summary
Trojan Trap adds a security perimeter within a Windows workstation, transparently layers it into your operating system, and integrates into existing network security solutions. With this security, Trojan Trap protects against flaws and holes within the security mechanisms of the Web browser and the Java virtual machine.
»www.tinysoftware.com/hom ··· trap_how

pompeyfan
Premium Member
Australia

pompeyfan to upieper

Premium Member

to upieper

Re: System security monitor new version

quote:
What SSM in user mode does under WIN98 is to SHUT DOWN programs which are not explicitly allowed(trusted list) after they have already been executed
With all respect, I dispute that.

upieper

upieper

You must have a special version of WIN98 then, because it's a known bug

From the author:

6) SSM does not halt new applications until you decide what to do in windows 9x. This feature is applied only in NT. (flaw)

pompeyfan
Premium Member
Australia

pompeyfan to upieper

Premium Member

to upieper
I think you will find that the author is referring to admin mode when he says this, as this is what happens for me in admin mode, I get asked the question, but before I answer program loads anyway. In user mode, the program is killed without you seeing any hint of it loading, in earlier versions you would see splash screen loading then it was killed, but the last couple of versions it knocks them dead.
Are you actually running 98 on your computer, or are you relying solely on the quote from the author.

upieper

upieper

Nope, I tried/verified it...

Time Out$
Premium Member
North Myrtle Beach, SC

Time Out$ to pompeyfan

Premium Member

to pompeyfan
pompeyfan, Glad you got it to work..upieper seems like your win98 has some problems what version and mods is it and is it out of the box ?

upieper

upieper

Hey,

I'm using WIN98SE. If there's any way to get the application filter in SSM to work with WIN98, now that would be great....

PS: There has been a discussion abou that not too long ago here »New version of System Safety Monitor