Info and download over here:

»fileforum.betanews.com/d ··· 94513192

Randy Bell
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24
Santa Clara, CA

Randy Bell

Premium Member

Whooo, large download!! I notice it's getting mixed reviews so far, at the link you provided. For anyone else, beware -- this is beta software!! :)

Bobb5
Premium Member
join:2001-02-16
Kent, WA

Bobb5

Premium Member

This is Shareware right? So how much are we allowed to pay to be able to Beta test for Norton?

jazzman916
Life on the Upbeat
MVM,
join:2001-09-01
Birdland

jazzman916 to Motumbo

MVM,

to Motumbo
Anyone seen a list of "new features"? All I got from the link was support for IM's. Although, I didn't read every review, so I could have missed something else.

Thanks,
Jazz

Randy Bell
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24
Santa Clara, CA

Randy Bell

Premium Member

Click for full size
Jazz, see my screen shot: one new feature is instant messenger protection, whatever that is. It appears to be special protection for filesharing over the internet using instant messenger clients. :)

jazzman916
Life on the Upbeat
MVM,
Birdland

jazzman916

MVM,

Thanks Randy. Won't help me any, I use Trillian!
Motumbo
join:2002-05-15
Belgium

Motumbo to Randy Bell

to Randy Bell
Hey Randy, maybe a weird question, but doesn't NAV2002 support files downloaded on the fly?

Zupe
MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY

Zupe to Motumbo

MVM

to Motumbo
Here's a quote from one of the reviewers at the Betanews link above discussing what's new in this version:

"here's the what's new from the help file:

Instant Messenger support and options: Norton AntiVirus supports files received by Instant Messenger programs: America Online, Yahoo! and MSN. You can choose to scan files received by one or all three programs. You can choose to automatically repair or quarantine an infected file.

Worm Blocking: Norton AntiVirus scans outgoing email attachments and alerts you before sending it. You can delete an infected file before inadvertently sending it in an email.

Password Protection: Norton AntiVirus allows you to set, change and reset a password to control your option settings.

Log Viewer: Norton AntiVirus displays activities by type of activity: Virus Alerts, Application and Error activity. You determine how many activites you want to record."
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Motumbo

Premium Member

to Motumbo
That screen shot only shows Live Update and Options. Where's Rescue? If Symantec has left Rescue out of NAV2003 for us W98/SE and ME users then I will not stay with NAV. Rescue is essential for Windows 98SE. Maybe that screen shot was for NAV 2003 for XP where Rescue is not usable because you can't boot into DOS. I'm tempted to download it just to see if Rescue is in there somewhere. I'd like to know as soon as possible so I can decide what I will use instead of NAV. Microsoft has recently told me that NAV is most likely the culprit in fatal exception OE's I've been getting with increasing frequency so NAV is not worth it to me without Rescue. Plus, I am not in slightest impressed by the new features listed. I don't use any type of instant messenger so I don't want that feature. I don't want outgoing email protection either. Password protection, log viewer...gee, if Symantec can't come up with any better new features than those...YUCK is all I can say!

jazzman916
Life on the Upbeat
MVM,
Birdland

jazzman916 to Motumbo

MVM,

to Motumbo
said by Motumbo:
Hey Randy, maybe a weird question, but doesn't NAV2002 support files downloaded on the fly?
That's how I read it from the NAV 2002 help file under downloaded files...

"To remove viruses from downloaded files:

Normally, you should not have to manually repair an infected downloaded file. If Auto-Protect is enabled, it detects and automatically repairs an infected file.

Copyright© 2000-2002 Symantec Corporation. All rights reserved."
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Motumbo

Premium Member

to Motumbo
I just installed NAV 2003beta. It DOES come with Rescue for us W98/SE and ME users! Uses 8 disks just like the recently fixed Rescue for NAV 2001/2002. So I am very happy about that. I was surprised to see that a full scan took over 28 minutes!! It only takes 16 minutes with NAV 2001.

Maybe I will be one of the first 50 users to find a bug that Symantec doesn't already know about as those persons get NAV 2003 free!

One very interesting note for all you ZA users, Symantec says NAV 2003 will NOT work with most versions of ZA and they recommend that ZA be un-installed. Guess they want you to get their firewall.

Anyone wanting this might want to d/l directly from Symantec
»www.symantec.com/public_beta/

Before you can d/l, you have to answer a questionnaire (with your email address mandatory) about the usefulness of the feature for submitting infected virus files to Symantec.

someguywhojustwalked to Motumbo

Anon

to Motumbo
The IM protection seems like a gimmick to me, since NAV should already scan files after they are downloaded if you have autoprotect on. Even though, it would still be interesting to see if it worked with Trillian. lol.

As for the deson't work with ZA thing, I would just ignore that. I'm sure it really does work with ZA, they just want you to buy NIS or NF instead.

AZNative
@cox.net

AZNative to Mele20

Anon

to Mele20
[quote=Mele20]

One very interesting note for all you ZA users, Symantec says NAV 2003 will NOT work with most versions of ZA and they recommend that ZA be un-installed. Guess they want you to get their firewall.
[/quote]

Not that I doubt you, but can you provide a link or a screenshot of the Norton FAQ stating this and also to which versions of ZoneAlarm they are talking about? Thanks.

MiKey23
Rus-Mafia
join:2001-05-21
Northbrook, IL

MiKey23 to Motumbo

to Motumbo
Anyone know if it fixes the bug that your floppy drive jams and thinks for no reason at startup? Thanks...

Nhbass
Upside Down Jeep
Premium Member
join:2001-01-15
Nashua, NH

Nhbass

Premium Member

Glad it works for some people. My download tells me the trial period has expired, riht after I finish installing it. Guess it's back to 2002 for now.

redxii
Mod
join:2001-02-26
Michigan

redxii to Motumbo

Mod

to Motumbo
A small step from 2002. I don't think the upgrade is worth it.

I'll stick to scanning files after downloading them from P2P or DCC.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay to Motumbo

MVM

to Motumbo
If an upgrade is going to make it so that I cannot use ZA, Symantec has a bug in 2003 and needs to fix it immediately. Otherwise, they're going to lose many long time users, myself included, no matter how good the program might be. I will stick with 2002 until I am forced to make up my mind one way or another and hope that Symantec rethinks whatever it is about their new version that won't allow the use of ZA. If it is just pure and simply that they want us all to use their product, that's pretty lame and one good reason to consider using some other one all together.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to AZNative

Premium Member

to AZNative
Readme.zip
5,379 bytes
AZNative, Here's the ReadMe file for NAV2003 where incompatibility with ZA is mentioned. The specific versions are not listed. Most likely, ZA and NAV will work together. I think this is just Symantec trying to sell their firewall. I cannot imagine that Symantec really wants to force users to choose between two very popular products!

AZNative
@cox.net

AZNative to Motumbo

Anon

to Motumbo
Thanks Mele20

For those of you who are interested, here's what's in the read file about compatibility with ZA:

----------quote---------------
Zone Alarm incompatibility issue
--------------------------------
You may encounter problems using Norton AntiVirus with
Zone Alarm installed on your system. We recommend
updating your version of Zone Alarm or uninstalling it
when using Norton AntiVirus.

-----------/quote----------------

Lex Luthor
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Hicksville, NY

Lex Luthor to someguywhojustwalked

Mod

to someguywhojustwalked
said by someguywhojustwalked:
The IM protection seems like a gimmick to me, since NAV should already scan files after they are downloaded if you have autoprotect on.
That's really no different than the email protection, which I also see little point in for the advanced user.

Rygel
Premium Member
join:2001-11-17
Moira, NY

Rygel to Motumbo

Premium Member

to Motumbo
So, I just renewed my subscription. Do I get the version free when it comes out or do they make you pay for the final one?

ravage7776
join:2000-10-27
Mississauga, ON

ravage7776 to Motumbo

to Motumbo
"One very interesting note for all you ZA users, Symantec says NAV 2003 will NOT work with most versions of ZA and they recommend that ZA be un- installed. Guess they want you to get their firewall. "

Heh ZoneAlarm doesn't work with my NAV2002 right now, nevermind 2003.

aaron2486
Premium Member
join:2001-12-01
Altoona, PA

aaron2486 to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:
It DOES come with Rescue for us W98/SE and ME users! Uses 8 disks just like the recently fixed Rescue for NAV 2001/2002.
What about Rescue for XP?

Rygel
Premium Member
join:2001-11-17
Moira, NY

Rygel

Premium Member

For some reason XP doesn't need a rescue disk.

I hope they aren't counting on the system restore in XP because it sucks.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Mele20 to aaron2486

Premium Member

to aaron2486
Only Windows 95,98 and ME can boot into DOS. Rescue saves your master boot records, partition tables, CMOS information (depending on the version of Rescue used as latest versions don't save this), registry information, etc. Rescue boot disk enables users of these versions of Windows to boot into DOS where virus scanning can be done either from the floppies or from the hard drive and where the master boot record (if infected with a boot virus) can be repaired. This can be crucial. (I had a nasty stealth boot virus about 20 months ago and it was absolutely critical that I had a working rescue set).

Windows NT, 2000 and XP are built on a different kernel from earlier versions of Windows and cannot access DOS and don't need to...DOS is obsolete for new versions of Windows. So Symantec is continuing to provide Rescue for W98/SE and ME users only. (NAV 2001 was the last version to support Windows 95). There was speculation that Symantec would drop Rescue entirely in 2003 because new versions of Windows cannot use it. I think next summer when Microsoft ceases all support for W98/SE that with ME being the only supported version of Windows left that can boot to DOS, Symantec may abandon Rescue altogether at that time.

aaron2486
Premium Member
join:2001-12-01
Altoona, PA

aaron2486

Premium Member

Thanks for explaining all of that to me. Is there anything I can do as a replacement for Rescue or would I just have to format? I would imagine that there is some manual workaround for fixing a problem if you would ever get into a situation where you can't boot right?
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

You and I are playing tag. Guess I should have IM'd you. I just posted links over in the software forum thread where you asked about this. »Norton Antivirus 2003 Public Beta

If you happen to know how to shorten long links like the Symantec ones I posted could you please tell me? You'll see posting those made the thread ...oh, what's the term I'm looking for? ..too wide so it doesn't fit the screen and bleeds over plus took up a lot of space.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay to ravage7776

MVM

to ravage7776
said by ravage777:
"One very interesting note for all you ZA users, Symantec says NAV 2003 will NOT work with most versions of ZA and they recommend that ZA be un- installed. Guess they want you to get their firewall. "

Heh ZoneAlarm doesn't work with my NAV2002 right now, nevermind 2003.
Wrong...at least for an awful lot of us including myself. NAV2002 and ZA+ are working hand in hand on my box and I expect, from what Symantec really says, "We recommend updating your version of Zone Alarm or uninstalling it when using Norton AntiVirus.", it would seem that if one has an updated ZA, NAV2003 might run just as well as all other versions have with ZA. I am sorry you're having a problem persoanlly, but NAV and ZA play nicely on many many systems.

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth

Phoenix22 to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
said by jaykaykay:
If an upgrade is going to make it so that I cannot use ZA, Symantec has a bug in 2003 and needs to fix it immediately. Otherwise, they're going to lose many long time users, myself included, no matter how good the program might be. I will stick with 2002 until I am forced to make up my mind one way or another and hope that Symantec rethinks whatever it is about their new version that won't allow the use of ZA. If it is just pure and simply that they want us all to use their product, that's pretty lame and one good reason to consider using some other one all together.

BINGO x2:)

Pinan

join:2000-09-02
Murrieta, CA

Pinan to jaykaykay

to jaykaykay
said by jaykaykay:
I am sorry you're having a problem persoanlly, but NAV and ZA play nicely on many many systems.

Yup. Mine are playing together right now, with never a problem.

However. I certainly will not "upgrade" to 2003, if it's going to snub my ZA. Uh uh.