uniqs

TravisB

join:2000-02-22
Colorado Springs, CO

3 recommendations

TravisB

Guide to eDonkey... Bot

Click for full size
eDonkey Bot had a very bad reputation at first.. but has became a very nice add-on to eDonkey. The old search feature has been taken out of the Lite version and limited in the Plus version.... FYI.

Installation
Unzip the latest version of eDonkey Bot Lite (1.4) to your main eDonkey folder. Now you should have eDonkeyBot.exe with the other eDonkey files. Double click eDonkeyBot.exe and wait for eDonkey to launch. Don't close eDonkey when it opens, just minimize it for now.

Configuring eDonkey Bot
The image above is the main screen of eDonkey Bot. First you should go into Options. You are now presented with three menus: Configuration, Connection, and Security. You can setup the Configuration tab how you like. Next go to the Connection tab and select your speed. If it isn't listed then you will have to click "user define" and specify it. Make sure if you want to use IUA (Intelligent Upload Adjustment) that you check the "Intelligent Upload Adjustment" at the bottom of that menu. I don't use the Security features, but if you feel it would help you then configure it however you want. Click OK when done.

Now to specify where to get the servers. Click the ? next to PUSL update and then click Advanced Configuration. If you want to specify a list to gather from you can do that here. I have both "Load server list from Internet" and "Auto" checked so I don't have to mess with the servers. You can also specify the minimum number of users or if you want to use your own list. Click OK/Close when done.

Click the ? next to Auto Connect then select how you would like to connect: priority (highest rankings) or amount of people on the server. Click OK when done.

Now that you have it all configured, it's up to you which features to use. I currently use all of them (all of the buttons are green/on as shown in the above screenshot.

Using eDonkey Bot
All you really have to do is launch eDonkey Bot now. Depending on which features you have enabled, it can update servers, auto-prioritize your files, update the server list after so long, etc, etc.

I suggest making a shortcut somewhere since the Bot doesn't.

To close both eDonkey Bot and eDonkey:
Right click the eDonkey Bot icon
Select Exit eDonkey

Uninstalling
If you decide you don't like eDonkey Bot, simply delete the eDonkeyBot.exe file and open eDonkey like normal.

That's all for now... enjoy your eDonkey Bot

Thanks to storm64007 for helping out with the guide.
If anyone has any suggestions/corrections please Instant Message me instead of using the thread. If anyone has posted something like this please slap me now
[text was edited by author 2002-07-26 03:14:54]

livininarizona
Premium Member
join:2001-08-05
Merced, CA

livininarizona

Premium Member

Wow...was that on a whim or what? Great job!

storm64007
Premium Member
join:2001-05-21
Freeport, NY

storm64007

Premium Member

hey mods Ryko and ariana, i think this should be with the other donkey faqs on top of the page since so many people ask about the new bot and we wont have to keep on repeating the same answers.
[text was edited by author 2002-07-26 08:03:22]

xxnoelziexx
Noc
Premium Member
join:2002-04-06
London

xxnoelziexx to TravisB

Premium Member

to TravisB
Nice one travis very straight forward.

WildGod8
God Is Dead
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
NYC

WildGod8 to TravisB

Premium Member

to TravisB
good job travis, i linked it into the edonkey guide as well

Boston7
join:2002-04-22

Boston7

Did you all know that there is a program called something like edonkey bot blocker, that you can download and then anyone who uses the bot it will block them from using edonkey? Meaning you wont be able to download from anyone who has that program running.

Because there is obviously people out there who hate the bot and wants to get rid of it.

Im not promoting that program or anything, I am just asking if you all heard or knew about it. I use to use the bot until I found out that people actually have that program and it wont let you download from them if they have the bot blocker program running, so I stopped using the bot.

WildGod8
God Is Dead
Premium Member
NYC

WildGod8

Premium Member

if there is such a program it was for the old bot. the new bot is harmless to the network as where the old one caused problems.
and if there is such a program i hope no one posts it. dont need to post any of these anti-sharing prog

el scorcho
Cupid Stunt
join:2000-12-01
Brooklyn, NY

el scorcho

actually, this is a program specifically targeted towards the bot-lite version that's free on the file-finder webpage.

two thoughts on this -

1. it's easy as hell to circumvent (go into your edonkey options and remove the [file-finder.com] monkier from the end of your name.

2. this does nothing for anyone. this proggie removes the ability of the person running it from downloading from as well as uploading to bot users. also, it's targetting a bot which has no determental value to servers. the full bot (paid version) doesn't add the suffix to the name and actually does harm the servers.

WildGod8
God Is Dead
Premium Member
NYC

WildGod8

Premium Member

thanks scorch for clearing that up

as u can see im not a bot user lol

Boston7
join:2002-04-22

Boston7

Thanks scorch for the info...

Kindguy98
Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Brooklyn, NY

Kindguy98 to TravisB

to TravisB
I am not using a bot either...Officially, it just creates traffic and messes up the network
nynjspeed
join:2001-09-10
Howell, NJ

nynjspeed to TravisB

to TravisB
This is great. Grazie!!!

WSoxRock
Go Sox
join:2000-10-10
Lake Villa, IL

WSoxRock to TravisB

to TravisB
Very cool!! Thanks for the info! Now can't wait to get home to check this app out.

TravisB

join:2000-02-22
Colorado Springs, CO

TravisB to Kindguy98

to Kindguy98
said by Kindguy98:
I am not using a bot either...Officially, it just creates traffic and messes up the network

Actually, it causes no harm now. The search feature was the main problem with the old eDonkey Bot. Everything that could of caused a problem was removed (Lite) or limited (Plus)

The only thing I really use the Bot for is the IUA, the icon that shows the speed, and updating the servers. I like how it changes the priority of downloads, but I haven't noticed if it helps any.

Kindguy98
Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Brooklyn, NY

Kindguy98

Hm...I may give it another try then.
nynjspeed
join:2001-09-10
Howell, NJ

nynjspeed to TravisB

to TravisB
eDonkey Bot Lite is dead....

can't get a download...

is it available anywhere else?

storm64007
Premium Member
join:2001-05-21
Freeport, NY

storm64007

Premium Member

New version came out today. 1.4.

unimind
join:2002-04-29
england

unimind to TravisB

to TravisB
The only problem I've ever had with eDonkey (after I managed to set it up) was that if I left it for a while it would be disconnected from the servers when I came back. I've just installed the bot and if it manages to look after the server lists and keep me connected then I'll be happy.

The walkthrough at the top of this thread was really helpful so my thanks go to TravisB and Storm64007