Search similar:

uniqs

2kmaro
Think

join:2000-07-11
Oklahoma City, OK

2kmaro

FBI - ANSIR: Too Little? Too Late?

Partial email I just received (Aug 7, 2002)
+++++++++++++++
FBI ANSIR EMAIL - Message from the NIPC, Washington, D. C.

HEIGHTENED AWARENESS WARRANTED ON AUGUST 5-6, 2002 BY U.S. WEBSITE AND ISP ADMINISTRATORS

The National Infrastructure Protection Center (NIPC) received credible, but nonspecific information that wide-scale hacker attacks against U.S. websites and Internet Service Providers (ISP) were being planned for August 5-6, possibly emanating from Western Europe.

Website and ISP administrators were recommended to heighten their awareness....
...The NIPC intends to update this alert should it receive additional relevant information, including information provided to it by the user community.

++++++++++++++

Excuse me, but doesn't Aug 5-6, 2002 come before Aug 7, 2002? And at what point in time do you think they might be planning on updating it?

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

FYI..I got mine on time...and it was posted here in this forum by others..guess you got your's late cause they did not want to worry about it

»FYI for tonight!

2kmaro
Think

Oklahoma City, OK

2kmaro

I wasn't posting so much to echo the warning, as to show the USELESSNESS of it!! And that other posting wasn't made until the morning of 06 August - making it seem it was a little late in getting to jmargel also.

Warnings received AFTER the potential threat date are pretty useless, wouldn't you say?

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to 2kmaro

Premium Member

to 2kmaro
I got one on the 5th...morning download... can not say anything for others...where did you get yours and where did you sign up to receive it???

Yes...I think it would be useless to post it on the 7th.

BTW it's

Alert 02-003
August 5, 2002

I do not see that on yours?????
[text was edited by author 2002-08-07 23:30:48]

2kmaro
Think

Oklahoma City, OK

2kmaro

As I noted, it was received on the morning of the 7th. And yes, I'd checked email several times in the previous days. I've been on the ANSIR list for at least 3 years, maybe more. I may have to do a little research on that email and see if I can tell if it was held up in the system somewhere and delayed in being delivered. Knowing that someone got it in a timely fashion helps. Thanks.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

Well that is a bummer and I understand..there is also a time difference in Western Europe.
Name Game

Name Game to 2kmaro

Premium Member

to 2kmaro
U.S. monitoring Internet attacks after European warnings
Posted by Web Producer Susan Wells August 07, 2002 - 11:30 PM

WASHINGTON (AP) - You probably didn't notice it on your computer, but some Internet providers were under attack this morning.

The government is monitoring a series of attacks against the providers. They began after hours after European authorities passed warnings on to the FBI.

Internet providers and Web sites on the East Coast were bombarded with about seven times the data they usually get early this morning.

There have been no reports of any Internet outages or delayed e-mails. A U-S official says the barrage then shifted toward the West Coast.

The attack appeared to be coming from a relatively small number of machines -- meaning Internet providers could protect their networks more easily than in past, larger-scale attacks.

(Copyright 2002 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

»www.9news.com/storyfull- ··· ?id=5139