uniqs

gt7697c
Premium Member
join:2001-02-16
The Hive

gt7697c

Premium Member

TDS-3 Problem

I am hoping that I am not the only one who is experiencing a problem trying to run TDS-3. Since Trojan Hunter had found something strange on my computer I have been wanting to run TDS-3 just to make sure I don't have something still lurking and I also wanted to scan the backup of the file that Trojan Hunter had said was a Trojan. Only problem is that when I run TDS-3 it sends my CPU to 100% thus freezing my computer and locking it up. Now my system is not ancient it is a PIII 667 with 384 mb of ram and an ATA 100 HD. (Ok so it may be slow but it is not ancient and roaming with Dinosaurs.) So what is the deal with TDS-3, when I have run the Trial before on other PCs it never did this, nor did it actually say my Login Name on this computer....which I find annoying.

Can some one help????????

I like both Trojan Scanners and it is very hard to make a decision especially when one wants to crash my system.

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

GT,

It might expedite a response if you post the query over at »www.wilderssecurity.com/ ··· ?board=5 .

gt7697c
Premium Member
The Hive

gt7697c

Premium Member

Ok I did it.

jvmorris
MVM
Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

GT,

Looks like Paul is having a slow day!

Randy Bell
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24
Santa Clara, CA

Randy Bell to gt7697c

Premium Member

to gt7697c
I just posted over there, as I saw Paul recommended you uninstall TDS and re-download from his site.

This is the direct download link to the tds-3 setup program: »www.wilders.org/HTMLobj- ··· etup.exe

Clicking on that will immediately download the product.

EDIT: For anyone's info, here's the parallel thread started at Wilders: »www.wilderssecurity.com/ ··· did=3507

[text was edited by author 2002-09-06 12:03:34]

gt7697c
Premium Member
The Hive

gt7697c

Premium Member

Click for full size
Well...I downloaded the program again. And it did it again. Here is a screen shot of it crashing my system.

Randy Bell
Premium Member
Santa Clara, CA

Randy Bell

Premium Member

WOW, eating up 16-megs of memory and 100% CPU, weird. :)

gt7697c
Premium Member
The Hive

gt7697c

Premium Member

Yes and it loves to crash my system. This is exactly what it has been doing to me for a couple of days now. I finally managed to grab a screenie of it.

I have no idea why it hates my PC so much:(..it use to like my PC.
Tuulilapsi
Kenosis
join:2002-07-29
Finland

Tuulilapsi to gt7697c

to gt7697c
You wouldn't be running XP, would you, GT?

Now, I don't want to sound like I have something against TDS3, which is widely known as the best anti-trojan package there is, but I've heard a noticeable number of people complaining about TDS-3 just not working on their machines, especially if their machines happen to be not so high-end. TDS-3 demands muscle to do all the things it does.

gt7697c
Premium Member
The Hive

gt7697c

Premium Member

Not XP it is Win 2k SP3...and TDS-3 use to work perfectly well on my machine that is before they updated the program. (And no I don't have any old copies still installed....I lost them when I formatted....and no I have not formatted since my supposed trojan infection and scare.)

kkb2
Object of the Panopticon
join:2000-06-11
Colorado

kkb2 to gt7697c

to gt7697c
Are you running an AV prog?

Some interfere with TDS if they must scan a file before TDS is allowed access to it. If your AV supports not prescanning (don't scan on open/access) try that.

marti
Color outside the lines
MVM
join:2001-12-14
Houston, TX

marti to gt7697c

MVM

to gt7697c
You mentioned using TDS-3 before. Was this a trial or a paid version?

Unless you have reinstalled your system since the last time you used TDS, your problems may be related to the previous use.

In other words, if you used a trial version of any program and it expired, you can't download the same program again and try to install it.

Randy Bell
Premium Member
Santa Clara, CA

Randy Bell to kkb2

Premium Member

to kkb2
said by kkb:
Are you running an AV prog?
Go back and look at his screen shot, you'll see NAVAPW32.EXE, which means he's running NAV. :)

gt7697c
Premium Member
The Hive

gt7697c

Premium Member

Please see this Quote:
said by gt7697c:
(And no I don't have any old copies still installed....I lost them when I formatted....and no I have not formatted since my supposed trojan infection and scare.)

TDS-3 was not the system this time at all.

I have NAV 2002 updated and loaded. TDS-3 in the past has worked fine with my AV.

Vampirefo
Premium Member
join:2000-12-11
Huntington, WV

Vampirefo to gt7697c

Premium Member

to gt7697c
Clear your temp files all of them, then reboot and see if TDS-3 works, I may know what's wrong, but I would rather not say.
Tuulilapsi
Kenosis
join:2002-07-29
Finland

Tuulilapsi to gt7697c

to gt7697c
TDS-3 should work perfectly well with Norton Anti-virus. Even with the new 2003, I hear. So this problem appeared after you updated TDS-3? If so, this could be one of those weird TDS-3 glitches that seem to bother some people. (Then again, if TDS-3 isn't working, it could sometimes be an indicator that there is something nasty still on the system. Just a thought.) Perhaps you should contact their tech support directly via email?

kchaz
Just...Be
Premium Member
join:2002-02-12
Merced, CA

kchaz

Premium Member

I am also am running TDS-3 Pro with NAV 2002, all updated...but as mentioned maybe you need more muscle?...I'm learning from y'all every day so I just wanted to add that I am able to run both together with no probs...P4 2gig, 1 gig RDRAM though might make the difference for me...don't know...vampirefo does though
Jooske
join:2002-05-19

1 recommendation

Jooske

Hi all,
Seeing the thread at Wilders, came to look for the screenshot here and the discussions.

It's not always true TDS needs real musclepower, as for the occasion i installed it on an older P166 with very little RAM and WinME, about one of the more difficult combinations i think, but it runs ok.

What happens: If you would have TDS-3 installed with NAV active during installation, that would cause problems.
Further they run fine together in general.
If you would start TDS in windows startup, that might feel safe, but on some systems it's not the best as several applications all at a time are hunting for RAM, till all is started and there comes room for others.
I've seen solutions in the private forum, where people used programs to have those startups happen in their own chosen order, so some are delayed a few till 10 or 30 seconds, to get that more smooth and that works fine for them.
I use to start TDS manually when all the noises quiet down and TDS gets all space. The initial startup scans and all that, that depends on your configuration. I have all checked and all scanned, but no full system scan at startup, that i do later when i don't need it for a while.
Once running, TDS certainly falls back far under those 16 mb, 5, 8 during heavy scanning, seen it much lower when nothing to do for it, etc.

The idea of heavy muscles etc might come more for the users, as it's not a click the button and all is solved automatically, you learn to know what to do and what more is possible.
Hope to read better news from you soon!

gt7697c
Premium Member
The Hive

gt7697c to Vampirefo

Premium Member

to Vampirefo
Sorry it has taken so long to get back to the thread. Vampirefo.... I have deleted the temp files but have not rebooted the system. I will do that in about 5 mins. (I would like to hear your opinion as to what is wrong, if you don't want to share it in the thread please IM through DSLR.)

To those that think my system is ancient, please contribute to buy GT7697C a new Computer Fund. You can reach me through this site if you would like to contribute. :):)

Actually I have not updated anything at all with TDS-3. The problem is trying to run the bloody program after install....it crashes as per my screen shot.....the system on initial run of the program.

Well off to reboot the system.....

Randy Bell
Premium Member
Santa Clara, CA

Randy Bell to gt7697c

Premium Member

to gt7697c
I just posted to the Wilders' thread, and sent you an IM. Looks like you need to go to Gavin's site and download the following files: tabctl32.ocx and richtx32.ocx -- I pasted the download links for these files in the Wilders' thread.

gt7697c
Premium Member
The Hive

gt7697c

Premium Member

So far that fixed the problem.
Jooske
join:2002-05-19

Jooske

Great! Congratulations to have it up and running properly again.
Randy_Bell you did a great job too with your cross forums support.

jvmorris
MVM
Reston, VA

jvmorris to gt7697c

MVM

to gt7697c
GT,

Those two OCXs, hmmm. Just sort of a wild thought here . . . when did you do that last re-format?

I don't suppose you remember the order in which you re-installed the apps that time, do you? And, oh, yeah, was that an upgrade of an NT4 box?

You see, I just noticed something; those two files show dates around 9 Apr 97 and 24 Jun 98, and they rather look like something that might have come with the initial release of Visual Studio (or one of its components). Now, the two file version(s) that Gavin mentions show up in VS 6 SP 4 and SP 5 around ... 22 May 2000. With me, so far?

Well, those MS installation packages from around '97 and '98 had a most unfortunate "feature" -- some of them would willy-nilly install common DLLs and OCXs without bothering to confirm that they weren't really overwriting a more recent version already on the system. (Indeed, at one time, MS had a really bad problem with putting out obsoleted DLLs with updates for some products, which raised all sorts of hell). Version control and configuration management weren't exactly premiere functions of Microsoft's development teams at that time. For a while there, everytime I updated a MS product, I then had to run SFC.exe (Win 98, talkin' about here) in order to restore the newer DLLs that had been previously installed but had then been overwritten by the update.

I think they finally got their act together sometime in '99 (probably as part of the Year 2000 frenzy).

There are all sorts of combinations and permutations about how you could have experienced something bizarre like this. So, for now, I just thought I'd broach the idea and see if you got any sudden inspiration from it.

gt7697c
Premium Member
The Hive

gt7697c

Premium Member

Actually...... no it wasn't an upgrade of an NT4 box to Win 2k SP3. It was a clean install on a blank HD of Win 2k SP1 upgrade then updated to SP2 and then updated to SP3 when it was released. I do remember the order of install.....it was MS-Office, my games, NSWs CleanSweep 2001, NU 2002, NAV 2002, and NIS 2002. (I install NAV separately from NIS because if you have to uninstall NIS it will take out NAV. Even if NAV is functioning properly.) Then I install all minor freeware programs once all the Symantec Products are updated.

I wonder if I had run Win 2k's SFC if it would have corrected the problem????????

jvmorris
MVM
Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

Hmmmm, which versions of MS Office? And did you then run any of the updates to Office? That could have retrogressed the .OCXs also, I believe.

I think it may be called something else in Win 2K and it's been ages since I've needed to use it. I find it much faster to run NIS File Check (NFC) and look for modified files after an update. So far, I've never needed to do a roll-back there.

Addendum: Okay, it's in Office 2000 SR1, also.

gt7697c
Premium Member
The Hive

gt7697c

Premium Member

I have never updated Office 2000. And SFC is in Win 2k.

jvmorris
MVM
Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

GT,

Hmmm, would it be
Tabctl32.ocx 209,192 08-10-98 6:56p

I ask because the list I was working from is not necessarily comprehensive.

gt7697c
Premium Member
The Hive

gt7697c

Premium Member

Jv.....please elaborate. I am confused about what you are asking about TABCTL32.OCX.

jvmorris
MVM
Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

Ummm, isn't your response at 0223 EDT in response to Randy where you indicated that you downloaded these two files and that fixed your problem?

I'm just trying to do some reverse forensics and figure out where the problem originated from in the first place.

Your post at 1039 EDT suggests a way in which the tabctl32.ocx might have been 'back-dated', if you will. (Yes, sorry, I understand that you've now updated to the indicated version; I was just wondering if you could tell where the OLD version came from.)

However, as for richtx32.ocx, I'm having a bit more of a problem as to locating where the old version might have come from. The only place I've even seen it listed is in regards to the initial versions of Visual Studio or one of its components. You didn't indicate that you'd re-installed (or even installed in the first place) VS ; so I have to assume that one of those 'minor freeware' products.

You see (thanks to Microsoft's ineptitude), doing a re-format and re-install (of both the OS and MS apps) may need to be done in a rather complex sequence (of overlapping updates for different products) in order to avoid this kind of problem. I'm just guessing that this is what may have happened to you, because I confronted the same problem once on this Win 98 SE box when it became necessary to do a re-format and re-install.

Products like NIS/NPF and TDS have all sorts of obscure safeguards, etc., built into them, and sometimes they're dependent on very explicit features of certain builds of an OCX or DLL. End up with the wrong build extant on the box (due to a re-format/re-install of OS and apps) and you may be screwed in a very obscure manner. In addition, there can be unintended consequences of doing perfectly reasonable things. For example, I can re-create Jazzman's last problem with NIS by simply running a registry cleaner app after updating an Internet-enabled application. Sometimes, it can be very difficult to localize the cause of the problem. And, in this instance, you may be the first to have encountered this problem with TDS, but you are unlikely to be the last. Consequently, it might be good if we better understood exactly how it happened.

That's all I'm trying to clarify.

gt7697c
Premium Member
The Hive

gt7697c

Premium Member

Hmm.....well....Yes I know you are trying to do some reverse forensics. (I just got a little confused earlier, today was well......football and beer so my mind was elsewhere.)

To my knowledge I have never installed Visual Studio, so it may have come in off a minor freeware install.

As for updates to the O/S those are done before I install most of the software. It generally starts with SP2 (it use to but no SP3 is out), Compatibility updates, IE6, and then all the rest. Office never gets updated unless I have a problem that requires the update....so far no problems.