dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
System

Anon

Can not download...

Had DSL activated about 10 days ago... Connects fine, can hit most web-sites without a problem, but - I can't download from most sites! If I try to grab a compressed file (zip, exe) from most servers, the line rate drops to 0 kbps and just sits there. Even when loading web pages, this is a problem with jpg images - sometimes they'll load, sometimes they won't. Got rid of EnterNet right away, using RasPPPoE (with the MS Ndis update), have the MTU set, not using DHCP, etc. In other words, it's not anything in my setup (though it could still be with the modem). I have a 5260/5660 hybrid (2.2.0(65) firmware) in bridge mode still, not located near any electrically active devices. I have talked to SBC / ASI 4 times each since it was activated, but of course that was useless. Any ideas on what to tell 'em to get this fixed?

Physical layer info:

Current Attainable Rate 278260 1163636
Current SNR Margin 10.0 22.0
Current Attenuation 64.0 31.5
Current Output Power 12.0 17.0
Current Status
ATU-R
No Defects detected
No Loss of framing detected
No Loss of signal detected
No Loss of power detected
No Loss of signal quality detected
ATU-C
No Defects detected
No Loss of framing detected
No Loss of signal detected
No Loss of power detected
No Loss of signal quality detected

Doctor Ping reports more than 83 unresponsive routers, with the following note:
32 unpingables: c1-pos2-0.desmia1.home.net c1-pos3-0.clevoh1.home.net c1-pos10-0.snjsca1.home.net c1-pos0-0.lnmtco1.home.net c1-pos7-0.cmdnnj1.home.net bb3-pos3-0.rdc1.sfba.home.net c1-pos1-0.tulsok1.home.net core1-fa0-0-0.stlsmo.swbell.net sl-bb10-sea-6-2.sprintlink.net lang1br1-so-6-2-0-0.ca.us.prserv.net pos3-0-622M.cr2.PAO.gblx.net sl-bb14-rly-8-0.sprintlink.net verio.s0-0-1.br1.DCA.gblx.net gw-eli.PAO.gblx.net sl-internap-39-0-0.sprintlink.net pos7-0-622M.wr2.WDC2.gblx.net sl-bb11-pen-10-0.sprintlink.net sl-bb11-pen-8-0.sprintlink.net a5-0-0-731-tr2.chi2.dbn.net dc-nyc-oc3.vienna.good.net core2-ny-iix-ds3.iad.above.net sl-bb11-sj-8-0.sprintlink.net atm0-1-0-230.cr1.DCA.gblx.net pos5-0-622M.wr1.NYC2.gblx.net pos2-0-622M.cr1.IAD3.gblx.net ord1-core1-pos6-0.atlas.icix.net sl-bb21-fw-5-2.sprintlink.net wbbrt01-cambrt01.rr.com pos0-3.hrndva1-brt2.rr.com pos0-1.bstnma2-brt3.rr.com pos1-1.nycmn1-brt1.rr.com c1-pos2-0.omahne1.home.net

Flippant
So Much For Subtlety

join:2000-06-04
Katy, TX

Flippant

If your MTU is set at 1492 or less then that should be ok. You might experiment and drop it to say 1450, but I doubt that will help, but it is easy to do and *may* work.

I will hazard a guess at this point that the problem is at your end. While this problem is rare it comes up about once a month or so. In most cases it is a problem with the NIC, either hardware conflict or just a flacky card. Has it always been this way, or was it ever working fine. If you have a spare NIC it may be worth trying, or try reinstalling the one you are using.

The problem can remotely be at the CO end, but this is very rare, almost always it is on the customer end. Maybe describing your setup would help jog someones memory. What NIC are you using? What other kind of cards do you have in your PC? What OS? Have you checked the Device Manager to see if you have any conflicts? Have you tried reseating the NIC card. Do you have any duplications in your Network Configuration?

This is a tricky problem to fix and takes time to troubleshoot. It may take some persistence to track down. Good luck.
System

Anon

The MTU is set to 1426 (1454 is what EnterNet was reporting, but ping -f stops at 1426, so that's what I used) for the entire network. I have 2 computers set up on home network using a Linksys 4port switch, all NICs are set with 1426 (as is the Dial-up Adapter for RasPPPoE), both computers have a Rwin of 65xxx (65K, can't remember last 3 values). The 5260/5660 is on a Kingston Kne NIC, with a Linksys going to the hub (and a Linksys in the client). DHCP is disabled throughout, Sygate being used for ICS. I have tried both NIC cards, on and off the home network (i.e., _removed_ a NIC and set up as a stand alone). I am not using TCP/IP for the card connected to the modem, since the Dial-up TCP/IP handles it - set to obtain IP address automatically. I have tried it with every combination of TCP/IP I can think of - disable/enable DNS, enable/disable DHCP, using TCP for the NIC. Even removed the NICs, uninstalled all network protocols, deleted all network entries in the reg, and reinstalled everything one at a time. So, no - it has never worked properly, no - there are no conflicts, no - there are no duplicate entries or unneeded network protocols, no - no devices are sharing an IRQ with the NIC, and yes - I have tried everything on my end.
The fact that it connects, will grab pages (no matter how large), and will DL at up to 45KB/s from _some_ (few) sites kinda dissuades me from the notion that it is something in my setup. If it were me, the problem would be universal. The fact that it isn't implies something in the CO/RT (not sure which), or where I connect into the router for their network.
Sorry if I sound terse, at work right now (weird shifts).

Griz5
join:2000-07-10
Cape Girardeau, MO

Griz5

Pooh,

I'm impressed. You've done your "homework" on your end. I'm like you...having seen you demonstrate your knowledge of and troubleshooting of the network settings, I've got to guess it's on the CO side. Perhaps a problem with the line itself, or maybe where it's connected to the DSLAM. Could be a router issue too, especially since you're getting so many time outs when pinging. Best thing to do is call ASI, or maybe SBIS broadband. I'd start off calling ASI, and get them to take your line down and bring it back up, and do some checks on it. Then if that doesn't help, tell them to start a ticket on it, and get the broadband techs involved. Hope this helps. And good luck.

Flippant
So Much For Subtlety

Katy, TX

Flippant to Anon

to Anon
Well, you certainly have persistence and it sounds like you tried all the right things. My only suggestion is to keep you network absolutely simple for trouble shooting, which it sounds like you have done. I wouldn't try any sharing until you get things working on a single machine first.

It does sound as though you have tried two computers with two different NICs, both with very conservative tweaks. I am almost ready to say that the problem sounds like it is not on your end.

A few months ago, some new customers were being setup on pacbell routers causing all kinds of hell. What do your trace routes look like? You are getting abysmal results from DrPing. What does your Line Quality test look like?

There have been some reported cases where there have been some bad DSLAM ports at the CO causing similar download problems. Haven't seen it recently but it may be a problem. The difficult part may be convencing some one to try and swap your port, and probably requires a ton of paperwork. You might also have a flacky modem, although I have not seen this cause your particular problem, but who knows. It would be nice if you new someone that would let you try their modem.

I know you are probably trying to avoid a service call, but it may be getting to the point that you need for them to try your line on their laptop from your connection.
System

Anon

*%$#... It's a good thing I am thorough...

because it was something in my setup after all. Apparently my mobo (Epox MVP3G-M) does not properly / fully support IRQ steering. In Windows device manager, the NIC used for the modem was not sharing an IRQ. In BIOS, however, the PCI slot I use was sharing an IRQ with USB (noticed it in the PCI listing on POST screen). Swapped the cards around so the NIC was by itself in BIOS and Windows - problem resolved.

2 weeks of frustration over a simple, almost unnoticeable, conflict. Keep this one in mind guys, it'll pop up again somewhere I'm sure. Thanks for keeping me looking...

Flippant
So Much For Subtlety

Katy, TX

Flippant

Just for my curiosity... this was happening on both of your computers? I am surprised that you didn't have the NICs swapped around earlier. But I guess it doesn't surprise me that it was an IRQ failure. The last time this exact problem was diagnosed it turned out to be a conflict between the NIC and a DVD decoder card.

This is definitely one for the archives. I am glad you got it sorted out without having to have a service call.

azinator
CS is the DEVIL
Premium Member
join:2000-08-12
Texarkana, TX

azinator to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon
I would suggest installing the updated VIA drivers for your motherboard (your motherboard has the via chipset)..I have a Epox with the VIA chipset and had to install the newest drivers for it to recognize my video card(could only use standard vga mode) and network card....and it was all because of that stupid IRQ Steering issue...!!! I always try to stay away from via....to many problems with there chipsets.....
System

Anon

umm...

Flippant, no I had not tried it with both computers, just both NICs - if I had taken the time to try it on the other computer, I probably woulda resolved the issue a bit sooner.

Droza, I've been using this board for a coupla years now and this is the first time I've run into any major conflicts (aside from the brief attempt at using the Via BM drivers). For the SS7 the most recent Via drivers aren't neccessarily the best, and the IRQ driver they package with the 4n1 is a modded version of the MS-written driver from Win95. The board setup and drivers aren't really an issue, this was just a fluke, obscure occurence.

I'm happy now though...

to Anon

Anon

to Anon

Same problem...

I have the same problem (I think). My ACPI IRQ Steering and Ethernet card are sharing IRQ 10. Does NIC stand for Network Interface Card?

I want to try this same solution, would someone please explain it more clearly?

Flippant
So Much For Subtlety

Katy, TX

Flippant

zbear,
Are you having problems downloading/uploading? Yes NIC stands for Network Interface Card. What is the name of your motherboard?
System

to Anon

Anon

to Anon

Yes, I have no downloads…

Thanks for the reply, flip. I am running an Abit KT7-Raid mobo.

Here is a more detailed account of my problem:

My rig has been running for 10 days. The first four days, everything was normal. Then I decided to update Windows ME. I went to windowsupdate.microsoft and I chose my items: the Critical, the IDE, and a browser update. It started downloading, then on 202 Kb (out of about 650), the download froze (though the animation continued), no DSL activity. No other malfunction. It did this several times, always stopping at the same point. Then DirectX 8 download did the same thing (and I had already downloaded it and deleted it a few days earlier). Then other programs, drivers and game patches, did the same thing. At that point, three days ago, I could download about half a page’s available choices (for example, half the drivers and utilities on the Viewsonic downloads page). Then I lost multimedia downloads. Now I can download nothing. I can load every web page fine. I got on the net from safe mode, but still couldn’t download anything.

That’s where I stand now. I can’t download a single thing. The solution above sounded like a card switch solved the problem, but it wasn’t clear which two cards he had swapped.
fbourbon
join:2001-02-12
Crystal City, MO

fbourbon to Anon

to Anon

Re: Can not download...

I recently had this problem also. My old modem was sharing an IRQ with my ACPI IRQ holder for PCI IRQ Steering. I Moved my network card to the slot occupied by the old modem.
My downloads are working so it could have been alot of things. I am happy that dowloading is working. because of all of your posts I was able to try something to fix my problem. Thank you. I hope this is helpfull to someone in the future.

Flippant
So Much For Subtlety

Katy, TX

Flippant

fbourbon,
Very happy to hear that your download problem was solved so easily, usually people aren't nearly so lucky. Happy trails!

Turk7
join:2001-01-14
Forrest City, AR

Turk7 to Anon

to Anon

Re: Yes, I have no downloads…

zbear

Its nice to see a fellow arkansan useing a Good Moboard =D
I use a KT7 myself *non RAID version*
**KT7 Faq page**
»www.icrontic.com/faqs/kt ··· 7faq.htm

PCI slot 5 shares IRQ signals with the HPT370 IDE controller and the manual suggests that you should not put a card in slot 5 that doesnt allow IRQ sharing.
** Slot 5 is the 2nd PCI slot from the bottom **

Also.......
INT pin 1: AGP and PCI Slot 1 are shared
Int pin 2: PCI slot 2 and Slot 3 and ACPI *if enabled* shared
INT pin 3: Slot 5 and the HPT370 controller shared *mentioned above
Int pin 4: slot 4, slot 6, and the USB are shared

In the BIOS PNP/PCI config you cann force a particular IRQ #, once again refer to either the faq page above or the manual.

Hope this helps

stosh
join:2000-01-17
Independence, MO

stosh

Are you an AR-Kansan from AR-Kansas living near the AR-Kansas river or are you a real Arkansawyer like we always used to be called if we were born and raised in AR-Kan-Saw?

Turk7
join:2001-01-14
Forrest City, AR

Turk7

LOL!,

Full born and raised ArkanSAWyer =)

stosh
join:2000-01-17
Independence, MO

stosh

said by Turk:
LOL!,

Full born and raised ArkanSAWyer =)
That's more like it! Don't let them foreigners from other states influence your vocabulary.
System

to Anon

Anon

to Anon

Re: Can not download...

Two Texans hunting:

M R DUKS
M R NOT
R 2
C M BILLS, C M WANGS
L I B, M R DUKS

Makes my momma proud!