Wildcatboy
Invisible
Premium,Mod
join:2000-10-30
Toronto, ON
kudos:3

6 recommendations

reply to Wildcatboy

Re: Forum rules, reminder, changes, updates, ...

This post was not meant to scare people off. It was meant to tell you where we stand today in my view and where we may end up if we are not careful.

Perhaps it has a lot to do with who I am in real life, I don't look at things as they look today. I tend to look at things as how they are going to look 3, 6 or 10 months from now and I make my judgment based on that. That's why a lot of times my friends think I have a weird view of things that doesn't necessarily match the views of others. And yes, there are times when I see doom and gloom when others see roses.

I guess it's the security guy in me. When you try to design a security plan, the worst thing you can do is to close the current holes and hope for the best. You need to look at other possibilities and devise a plan that can last well after you leave.

This forum gets a lot of new members daily and as JV mentioned, how people behave has a lot to do with what they see. A year from now a lot of the old timers may no longer be here and the people dominating this forum will be the new guys who join today. If being unprofessional becomes an acceptable part of this forum, there will be absolutely no hope for this forum a year from now. Because the majority of members will find it to be acceptable and just another part of being in this forum. Try telling them then about being professional. They'll throw me out of this forum.

It's all about the kind of people you attract to this forum. Joke threads attract people who like to joke, Technical threads attract people who are either technical or would like to learn as much as they can. So 6 months from now depending on the choices we make today, we'll either have a group of people who love to have fun and talk about security once in a while or we'll have a bunch of people who love to learn and discuss security issues in a professional manner and have fun occasionally. The latter is what I'm trying to have here.

I have nothing against humour. What I'm against is for humour to get in the way of business. A friendly place doesn't necessarily mean having cartoons up in every thread. A friendly place could be a place that welcomes every new member, a place that believes no question is a stupid one, a place that you can count on being helped with open arms and without being insulted. I don't think it's fair to equate not having jokes and cartoons with being unfriendly.

And here's a word to our new members and those who think they are not gurus. Well, most of us aren't. The majority of people you see answering the questions in this forum started just like you. They came here for help, they absorbed as much as they could and they decided to give something back by hanging around and answering a few questions and now they're hooked.

It's amazing how much you can learn even by reading the very technical posts and it's amazing how much more you can learn by getting your feet wet and answering the questions you know the answer for. Once you're hooked you realize that in order to answer more questions you have absolutely no choice but to learn more. That's what I call fun. If you think learning by itself isn't fun, give it a try.
--
You can catch the Devil, but you can't hold him long.

LowWaterMark
Premium
join:2002-05-16
Wallingford, CT
said by Wildcatboy:
...This forum gets a lot of new members daily ... A year from now a lot of the old timers may no longer be here and the people dominating this forum will be the new guys who join today. If being unprofessional becomes an acceptable part of this forum, there will be absolutely no hope for this forum a year from now. ...
I have lived through this exact situation, except it related to a chat environment. The structure got lax - New comers came in - Old timers went out - Pretty soon the area was entirely different than what it had been meant to be. (It's still there today and it is a sad place as far as I'm concerned.) This second post really helped to complete the first in my opinion, and together they are very well stated. Thank you.

JerryC23
Character Counts 40,41,43
Premium,ExMod 1999-03
join:1999-10-08
Humble, TX

1 recommendation

I meant to start a local web site over a year ago. BUT .. after being a member here a long time, I saw how a GOOD site should be developed (and how a good site can evolve) towards someting even more worth while.

This set of updated rules (I would prefer the term "guidelines", but this is not my forum )
is a perfect example of how it does continue to change for the better.
--
~Start a thread inThe Texas Gulf Coast FORUM - Win a free beer ~