uniqs

Vampirefo
Premium Member
join:2000-12-11
Huntington, WV

1 recommendation

Vampirefo

Premium Member

Odd msinfo32.exe problem. msinfo32 mystery solved.

I finally figured it out, after running test after test. A index.dat file has been deleted, and that's why when some run msinfo32 they get the help center instead of system information.

I had this problem, and just now got it figured out, I restored a new image and system information was working great, I then ran Spider which cleans temp files, I saved the report rebooted and system information was not working.
I looked at what spider deleted and I found it deleted a index.dat here E:\\WINDOWS\\PCHEALTH\\HELPCTR\\OfflineCache\\index.dat

I opened and image and restored just this dat, and now my system information is working, so this dat file is the cause for the problem.

skay2002$
What A Long Strange Trip It's Been
Premium Member
join:2000-08-09
Windsor Mill, MD

skay2002$

Premium Member

Click for full size
VAMP IS DA MAN!!!!
VAMP ROCKS!!!!
From the screenshot you can see the .dat file
that Vamp was talking about, and the successful
launching of System Information!
Fortunately I was able to scarf that .dat file
from an older image - before I ran Spider -
and I didn't even have to reboot.
I just restored the .dat file exactly where Vamp said,
and VOILA! Done!
TWO BIG BIG THUMBS UP, Vamp meister!
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to Vampirefo

Premium Member

to Vampirefo
Really weird. Does anyone understand the internals of this? i.e., why deleting an index file would turn a system info program into the help centre program? I mean, they're different .exe files!

(Good detective work, though)
[text was edited by author 2002-11-21 00:53:14]

youngerberry
MVM
join:2001-08-13
Shreveport, LA

youngerberry

MVM

I also had this problem as I use spider often. I copied the index.dat file from another computer I have and pasted it where Vampirefo said to and it worked. I guess any index.dat from another computer will work? It refreshes the info when you run it so it shows the correct computer info.

skay2002$
What A Long Strange Trip It's Been
Premium Member
join:2000-08-09
Windsor Mill, MD

skay2002$ to dave

Premium Member

to dave
said by dave:
Really weird. Does anyone understand the internals of this? i.e., why deleting an index file would turn a system info program into the help centre program? I mean, they're different .exe files!

(Good detective work, though)
[text was edited by author 2002-11-21 00:53:14]

Who knows, Dave. But it just goes to show: "PEOPLE. Leave your computers alone. Stop all this tweaking. It only hoses your systems and then you turn around and blame the innocent OS."
Right, Dave?
lol

sk