Wildcatboy
Invisible
Premium,Mod
join:2000-10-30
Toronto, ON
kudos:3

2 recommendations

reply to Wildcatboy

Re: Forum rules, reminder, changes, updates, ...

Well, here's the problem: NAV daily update comes out today so we have a thread about it. Then another one comes out tomorrow, so we have another thread about it while today's thread is still sitting at page two or three and is still getting responses. Then the third day... what do you know ... we have another daily update so we have the third thread while the first and the second are still being responded to. You get my point?

As sig mentioned other AV programs have daily files too and we don't see daily threads. Why? Well, Randy gave us one good reason. A lot of people are not as enthusiastic to post about them and a lot of people think it's not as important.

There are a few problems here. A) The forum is filled with a bunch of similar threads which by themselves are not duplicate threads but they are all similar in nature. B) We are giving people the illusion that this forum is dominated by NAV users and we (as a forum) are supporting or promoting NAV which is far from the truth.

I'd like this forum to be as impartial as possible. DSLR Security forum does not promote a certain product. We give people options and let them choose. I have seen too many occasions when people chose an inferior product simply because it had become fashionable. I want us to go beyond that and be as diverse as possible.

There has been a plus side to those threads as well. Sometimes I see a few people who hardly ever post anywhere else respond to those threads and thank the poster . It's a good thing because every now and then we are reminded that a lot of new people are lurking through this forum and read silently. They are not posting for various reasons, one being the false assumption that since they are not knowledgeable enough in Security issues they might as well be quiet. This couldn't be farther from the truth. If there are no good questions, there are no good answers.

I'd like to encourage new members to ask questions and participate in any way they can. Those who want to learn are as much a part of this forum as those who answer questions. One cannot survive without the other and a forum without newbies is bound to fail.
--
You can catch the Devil, but you can't hold him long.

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH
said by Wildcatboy:
Well, here's the problem: NAV daily update comes out today so we have a thread about it. Then another one comes out tomorrow, so we have another thread about it while today's thread is still sitting at page two or three and is still getting responses. Then the third day... what do you know ... we have another daily update so we have the third thread while the first and the second are still being responded to. You get my point?
I agree completely, WCB. If someone posts about an update to AVG or The Cleaner, that's great, since those updates are rather sporadic. Maybe I'm being naive, but I don't see it as being that critical to grab every NAV update minutes after it's available, especially if the defs being added are low risk.
--
Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Uriel3

join:2001-11-26
reply to Wildcatboy
said by Wildcatboy:
....DSLR Security forum does not promote a certain product. We give people options and let them choose. I have seen too many occasions when people chose an inferior product simply because it had become fashionable. I want us to go beyond that and be as diverse as possible.
I'm glad you clarified that because up until now I had been under the false impression that DSLR Reports was promoting by way of condoning seemingly very biased posts of certain products such as in the area of firewalls, antivirus, and antitrojan software.
said by WBC:

......every now and then we are reminded that a lot of new people are lurking through this forum and read silently. They are not posting for various reasons, one being the false assumption that since they are not knowledgeable enough in Security issues they might as well be quiet. This couldn't be farther from the truth. If there are no good questions, there are no good answers.
I form part of those who upon observing the diversity of knowledge and expertise in the area of security and privacy in this forum felt intimidated and was therefore hesitant in posting. Some appeals for advice such as my last post of; 2002-09-17 07:48:00 may very well remain unanswered and lost in the shuffle perhaps because of that "false assumption".
said by WBC:

...One cannot survive without the other and a forum without newbies is bound to fail.
And with that I couldn't agree more. If this forum should, heaven forbid, degrade from its present high stature it will most definitely not be because of a lack of intellectual ability or qualifications of our gracious Host.