SRN -------=98 ------= 68
Signal+ ----=-1 ------= -1
Noise- -----=-100 ----= -100
SNR+ ------=99 ------= 99
Signal -----=-2 ------= -32
Noise ------=-100 ----= -100
Flags ------=001 -----= 001
Beacon ----=100 -----= 100

I have some pictures but I don't know to post it.

Thanks!
ikarus$
join:2002-07-01

ikarus$

Looks like a good mod to me... but then I can't be the judge (conflict of interest ). Anyone else?

-m-
Ssoc
join:2002-09-22

Ssoc to Ssoc

to Ssoc
Here are my pictures
ikarus$

ikarus$

You may also find this useful.

»www.allaboutjake.com/net ··· ert.html

-m-
ikarus$

ikarus$ to Ssoc

to Ssoc
Well, I was hopeing someone else would read them for him as I am not so sure I understand what I see there. It looks like he has a 30 dB better link, some of the other numbers don't feel like they agree with that.

Takers?

-m-
Ssoc

Ssoc to Ssoc

to Ssoc

Ikarus, Thanks for your reply, I did check your link about antennas, it is what I did.

I'd like to know if it's better or not.

Thanks!
ikarus$

ikarus$

Cool! May I use the pictures on my site?

Yeah, it's a better link, one hell of a lot better. Stick one on the AP too.

-m-
ikarus$

ikarus$ to Ssoc

to Ssoc
The apparent 30 dB increase in signal could be explained if the author (Ssoc) actually built two of these and put one on the AP and one on the remote.

-m-
Ssoc

Ssoc to Ssoc

to Ssoc
Ikarus thank you again for reply.
Yes, you can use my pictures in your site.

Ssoc
ikarus$

ikarus$

Ssoc;

Did you build one or two of these reflectors? Did you put one on the AP and on the USB device? I ask because the signal figures seem high!? I would like to know why your signal figures show 30 dB improvement in link? This is very high, too high, actually. What width are your reflectors? They look like they are eight inch reflectors, is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

-m-

drjim
MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA

drjim to Ssoc

MVM

to Ssoc
These wouldn't by chance be cut open Pringle's cans, would they? FINALLY....a Pringles antenna I can believe in!
drjim
Ssoc

Ssoc to Ssoc

to Ssoc
Hi Ikarus,

Yes I built two reflectors, but I only used one because there was not difference using both.
The reflector size is about 1/3 round can (maybe 1” more) by 3.5”
ikarus$

ikarus$

Cool! LOL, wouldn't you know. All we have done is make an improved "Pringles" antenna!!! Well guys enjoy this puppy.

When time permits, I'll revisit it. I have a couple of links to drop in tomorrow, and am building a nice new version of the outdoor AP. You'll like it when it is done. It's kinda pretty, actually.

-m-

erkel
@kaballero.com

erkel to Ssoc

Anon

to Ssoc
You guys intereted in one of these parabolic designs built as a clip on?

As I type, I have on my desk the plastic mold that will duplicate (but with a high degree of accuracy) a five inch design of this reflector.

We are looking at the possibility of marketing them. For outdoor installs they would have to be completely enclosed, but I can get you ten dBi, with an F/B around 20 dBi, pretty cheap. I think the first run will be about 200 pieces. After those are sold, we'll talk about mass production.

Excellent device for short haul LOS work, also excellent for security appliations in SOHO environments.

-m-
walter3ca4
join:2002-10-28
Fountain Valley, CA

walter3ca4

Found it!

I found a metal shingle at Home Depot for 59 cents. It measures 8" x 12".

engelbert
join:2002-09-04
Akron, OH

engelbert

sweet! Hitting HD in the AM. Thanks!

ikarus1
Premium Member
join:2002-10-23
Urbanna, VA

ikarus1

Premium Member

A little ingenuity goes a very long way...

Just a $.99 cookie sheet is all you ever really needed, or an empty Foster's can and a pair of tin snips, or that pringles can the fellow above documents. Get any of those at any corner store and save yourself the drive, or use a nickel's worth of tin foil that was the point, wasn't it? Some people can do something with nothing, other's need consultants (award winning consultants, to boot).

-m-
»osiris.urbanna.net/anten ··· template

[text was edited by author 2002-10-28 21:48:31]

[text was edited by author 2002-10-28 21:50:53]
wildwolf
join:2001-03-04
Bunker Hill, WV

wildwolf

Anybody know if there's a program like the one in that link for the D-Link DWL-650 wireless pc card? Looks like a cool utility, so I'd like to see what all one can do.

ikarus1
Premium Member
Urbanna, VA

ikarus1

Premium Member

said by wildwolf:
Anybody know if there's a program like the one in that link for the D-Link DWL-650 wireless pc card? Looks like a cool utility, so I'd like to see what all one can do.
The program used to model that reflector was 4Nec2. It can be found here:

»www.qsl.net/wb6tpu/swindex.html

The DWL-650 does not have a means to attach an external antenna, so there is very little you might do to improve it's antenna except to modify the card to accept an external antenna. Here is a link on how to do that:

»c0rtex.com/~will/antenna/

Finally here is another hack of the DWL-650 that worked quite well for me:

»osiris.urbanna.net/anten ··· rt_dish/

To be quite honest though, I really like the "Kipper Tin" biquad design or a discone design for laptop use. Look at these:

Biquad
»manuka.orcon.net.nz/wififi.jpg
»manuka.orcon.net.nz/wifibowt.gif
»manuka.orcon.net.nz/wifibiqd.gif

Discone:
Well... I see the only page I knew of that shows how to make one is gone, so I guess that will be then next thing I do on the web site.

-m-

Air Ryan
Air Ryan
Premium Member
join:2002-10-10
Tallahassee, FL

Air Ryan to erkel

Premium Member

to erkel

Re: How do I read these numbers?

im intrested in a clip on...Send me an im when you get the chance
Ryan

[text was edited by author 2002-10-29 09:24:52]

drjim
MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA

drjim to ikarus1

MVM

to ikarus1

Re: Found it!

Just a comment on Discone antennas....They're really bad! ZERO gain, vertical polarization, and usually multi-octave bandwidth. Good for scanners, and Amateur Radio VHF/UHF when it's all you can put up, but that's about it.
drjim

ikarus1
Premium Member
Urbanna, VA

ikarus1

Premium Member

said by drjim:
Just a comment on Discone antennas....They're really bad! ZERO gain, vertical polarization, and usually multi-octave bandwidth. Good for scanners, and Amateur Radio VHF/UHF when it's all you can put up, but that's about it.
drjim

Yes these things are true. I do believe there is a bit of gain over a dipole but not more than 3 dB. Still running sims.

The nicest thing about this antenna (discone) is the fact that you get out pretty nearly what you put in. It is extremly efficient and exhibits a *VERY* low SWR across a 10:1 frequency range. That means one designed for 2.4 GHz will work *EQUALLY* well on 5.8.

This antenna is not a good design for PtP work. It is a darn fine design for *REPEATERS* and *INTERCEPT* work, and that means it is an excellent design for a laptop clip on antenna. There is a second design which is good for a clip on but it will not work *BOTH* bands. I will make one of those when time permits...

I just built another one today and took pictures. I did the template and will put together a web page on it before next Monday, Ryan... "Check is in the mail."

-m-
[text was edited by author 2002-10-30 00:03:11]
ikarus1

ikarus1 to walter3ca4

Premium Member

to walter3ca4
said by walter3ca4:
I found a metal shingle at Home Depot for 59 cents. It measures 8" x 12".
Did you make one? How did it work?

-m-
ikarus1

ikarus1

Premium Member

said by ikarus1:
said by drjim:
drjim

Yes these things are true. I do believe there is a bit of gain over a dipole but not more than 3 dB. Still running sims.

The nicest thing about this antenna (discone) is the fact that you get out pretty nearly what you put in. It is extremly efficient and exhibits a *VERY* low SWR across a 10:1 frequency range. That means one designed for 2.4 GHz will work *EQUALLY* well on 5.8.

This antenna is not a good design for PtP work. It is a darn fine design for *REPEATERS* and *INTERCEPT* work, and that means it is an excellent design for a laptop clip on antenna. There is a second design which is good for a clip on but it will not work *BOTH* bands. I will make one of those when time permits...

I just built another one today and took pictures. I did the template and will put together a web page on it before next Monday, Ryan... "Check is in the mail."

-m-
[text was edited by author 2002-10-30 00:03:11]

Well I was wrong ang Jim was right. The gain on a discone is somewhere about 1 dBi. The radiation pattern looks a whole lot like an apple. Great match, meaning very low SWR but other than that, I have removed the model from the site as I have come to agree with Jim. It's a bad antenna for wireless data purposes.

-m-
binman7
join:2003-01-13

binman7 to drjim

to drjim

Look at these puppies

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
check these out..... got a 25% increase of signal strength at 100M...camera can be found at »www.panasonic.com/consum ··· eras.asp