uniqs
share rss forum feed

donaldk
Premium
join:2000-10-19
Halifax, NS

Linksys BEFSR41 not so impressive

»www.realtek.com.tw/htm/products/ ··· 19as.htm

that is the NIC the Linksys BEFSR41 uses for the WAN port..... no wonder the Linksys is slow. I have a Realtek 8029AS (PCI 10Mbps) and 8139AS (PCI 10/100Mbps) and they are both peices of crap, so many problems. I wonder what the peformance numbers are for a Realtek 8019AS ISA NIC. It is an ISA NIC not PCI. Do not believe me...look inside the router for yourself. It is easy to take apart and put back together (no screws are used!). I am not going to tell you how to take it apart but it is quite easy.
[text was edited by author 2001-02-11 13:28:38]

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
So what *is* the architecture of the BEFSR41 anyway? What CPU? What bus? How much memory? Any idea, since you've looked in the box?
--
dave

donaldk
Premium
Halifax, NS
I'll crack it open later tonight again and i'll post all the chip #'s, the Linksys router is so easy to open up, no tools req'd (and no damage is done to the router on either the outside or inside)....just that I know the bus to the realtek chip is obviously 16 bits wide (ISA..duh..*cough*). One thing is for sure that Linksys chose a real crappy chip for the WAN port.

SEEKER22

join:2000-11-14
Mission, KS
reply to donaldk
How easy is it to take apart without damaging that nice little warranty sticker/seal that linksys puts on there to know if you've tampered with the unit when you have to send it in for repairs/exchange?
The sticker looks like it would be fairly easy to remove... but when you try to peel it back it just crumbles apart.
And you do know if that sticker is busted apart Linksys WILL void your warranty.

Just thot I'd ad that to this thread in case anybody got the wild idea to open their router. And you all have probably seen how many people have had to get a replacement in this forum.

drjim
Premium,MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3
GENTLY heat it up with a hair-dryer or heat-gun, and lift it off with an Xacto knife.
drjim
--
One man's Magic is another man's Engineering.

donaldk
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to dave
it has an rtl8019AS nic on the WAN »www.realtek.com.tw/htm/products/ ··· 19as.htm

the router CPU is an ARM proc @50MHz which has an integrated ethernet controller 10/100 (but Linksys used the RTL8019AS cause the integrated one did not do autosensing)...it is the same CPU found in the Zyxel P310 router »www.intl.samsungsemi.com/System_ ··· 20Q.html

it has 4MB of EDO DIMM ram chips at 100MHz

the switch is controlled by an admtek olive les105 controller....

CyberStretch

join:2000-11-23
Worcester, MA
donaldk,

Is the memory upgradable?

I wonder what flavor of *nix they are using? You know it cannot be any of the MS OSes.
--
Experience is the best teacher. I just wish the tuition did not cost so much!

System
reply to donaldk
Hmmmm wondering what the difference is in the newer V2 linky router. Perhaps more memory?

donaldk
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to CyberStretch
no it is soldered right on the mobo. And if your witty enough to put more on if you got higher density chips I do not know if the Linky will support it.