spc
Search similar:

uniqs

magicpro1
join:2000-10-05
Westmont, IL

magicpro1

Beware of free software from Kodak

The B&C bought some Kodak Premium Picture paper, because she wants to make some nice prints of some photos. She also mentions that there is some free software you can get along with the paper by downloading from Kodak. You know, it's photo software to help you adjust the pics.
Anyway, I said "OK", and we downloaded the software. Well, as a result, I must have gotten two dozen pieces of Spyware that SpyBot just about choked on. I am nearly certain of this, because I happened to run Spybot yesterday morning, and everything came up clean. The only thing I downloaded since then was this Kodak software. Then, I happened to run Spybot again a little while ago, and it went nuts. I had a bunch of Spyware on the box, a lot of it from "Sidestep". So, anyway, think twice about downloading this "free" Kodak software. :-(

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

I have that Kodak software and a few other from them..I did not have any problems like that with it.

Macy
South Of Insanity
MVM,
join:2001-12-02
Pink Beanbag

Macy to magicpro1

MVM,

to magicpro1
I downloaded the free software from Kodak a few weeks ago and was overloaded with Spyware. When I tried to delete the spyware it would just show up somewhere else. Finally got rid of it. By the way, I ran Ad-aware within minutes after I downloaded the program and found all the spyware. I run Ad-aware weekly to make sure there is nothing on my system and had run it just a few days earlier, so I am positive that it came from the Kodak software. Makes me have second thoughts about Kodak. Aren't they a big enough company that they shouldn't need to have spyware in a free (and crappy)software?

Outsourced1
Premium Member
join:2002-03-17
Holly Springs, NC

Outsourced1 to magicpro1

Premium Member

to magicpro1
After reading the posts of "magicpro1" and "Macy" I decided to find out about this for myself. First I scanned my computer with AdAware and Spy-Bot just to make sure it was clean. Then I downloaded and installed the Kodak Easy Share software and ran the tests again. Just as I thought, there was absolutely no spyware in the Kodak software. It's actually a nice program and I think I'll keep it for a while and play with it.

There is no spyware in this program.

To those who think they got spyware from this program. Could you please be specific and list the spyware you think was installed by this program.
There is enough real spyware out there without false accusations so it would be nice to clear this up as soon as possible.

Macy
South Of Insanity
MVM,
join:2001-12-02
Pink Beanbag

Macy

MVM,

Glad you like the software you downloaded...I checked it out on Kodak's website--That is not the free software that I was referring to. It was a software used to enhance your photos before printing them on Kodak paper. It was on the cover paper in my last pack of photo paper I bought.(Kodak brand of course). I can't find it now and did a search for it. There was a web address which started as www.kodak.com/????? It took you directly to the free software page. Looked pretty good to me so I decided to try it. It was supposed to be a simple little program that worked similar to the setups they have at stores such as Walmart, K-mart, etc... Where you do your own while you wait. All I got was spyware and software that didn't work. If I ever come across the site again I'll let you know so you can try it out. It was not, however the Easy Share software. So, don't remember the name at all, I just knew I'd not download anything from Kodak again. Not dissing Kodak since that's the only paper I want my pics printed on and about the only type camera I will buy. Just wanted to clarify.

magicpro1
Westmont, IL

magicpro1

MMoD: You are probably right about the spyware. There were actually two separate downloads involved. The first was "Kodak Easy Share", which is the piece that you use to view and print your pics. Then, the second piece is what you are thinking of. It's called "One touch" and is used to tweak the photos and optimize your printer's settings. It just might be that the spyware is associated only with the One Touch software??

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to magicpro1

Premium Member

to magicpro1
Macy... It was on the cover paper in my last pack of photo paper I bought.(Kodak brand of course). I can't find it now and did a search for it.

I have that also and it has no spyware....I also have the cd from kodak with my last set of pictures..and it has a nice quicktime viewer..also lets you change the photo any why you wish.. and other goodies...

This also does not have any spyware...so I too do not know where you guys are finding all this..but is interesting.
Name Game

Name Game to magicpro1

Premium Member

to magicpro1
BTW_ I have the 3 CD's from Kodak for various things..maybe that is the difference..but still do not think the web downloads have spyware.

Outsourced1
Premium Member
Holly Springs, NC

Outsourced1 to magicpro1

Premium Member

to magicpro1
I have downloaded and installed Kodak One Touch software.
»www.kodak.com/global/en/ ··· ro.jhtml
It also contains no spyware.

Could you please supply a list of this alledged spyware.
I am very curious as to what type of spyware you think you got from Kodak.
The accusation has been made. Now it really needs to be confirmed.
You have accused Kodak of installing 24 pieces of spyware on your computer.

The one you mention: SideStep, is a free low-fare travel search tool that helps you comparison shop for the Web's best travel deals. »www.sidestep.com/main.html

SideStep currently partners with companies in three categories:
Travel suppliers
Online agencies, consolidators, and Global Distribution Systems

This just makes no sense to me for Kodak to be installing this on your computer and not on mine.

I will say again, This software does not contain spyware
IGGY9
No Guru Just Here To Help
Premium Member
join:2001-03-30
Chatham, IL

IGGY9 to magicpro1

Premium Member

to magicpro1
»www.kodak.com/global/en/ ··· 28.shtml

As was posted before =

»www.kodak.com/global/en/ ··· ro.jhtml

If this is still considered an issue. Someone could take the time to ask Kodak directly here =

»www.kodak.com/cgi-bin/gl ··· act.conf
[text was edited by author 2002-10-07 04:27:15]
Expand your moderator at work

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
join:2001-12-05
united state

Rungel to Outsourced1

Premium Member

to Outsourced1

Re: Beware of free software from Kodak

Well i hate to say this but i just got there free software and a load of spyware from BackWeb Lite. Made a ton of entries in my registry. I did clean my registry up with spybot before installing.
[text was edited by author 2002-10-07 17:30:00]

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

said by Rungel:
Well i hate to say this but i just got there free software and a load of spyware from BackWeb Lite. Made a ton of entries in my registry. I did clean my registry up with spybot before installing.
[text was edited by author 2002-10-07 17:30:00]

Ca you post the link to this site that you downloaded this free software???

magicpro1
Westmont, IL

1 recommendation

magicpro1 to IGGY9

to IGGY9
Iggy makes a good suggestion about asking Kodak directly. I have done just that, and will post back here when/if I get a reply. I would suggest that you all pose the question to Kodak as well. I say this because one inquiry asking about spyware might be dismissed out of hand. When they receive several others, it might encourage the person to drill further.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to magicpro1

Premium Member

to magicpro1
Here is their service support..send them an email with a link to this thread at DSLR Security.

»www.kodak.com/global/en/ ··· ex.jhtml

winsyrstrife
River City Bounce
Premium Member
join:2002-04-30
Brooklyn, NY

winsyrstrife

Premium Member

I also just installed One Touch/EasyShare. Ran AdAware, nothing detected, but the image above just came up during the scan. I guess AdAware doesn't catch everything.

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium Member
join:2001-12-05
united state

Rungel to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
said by Name Game:
Ca you post the link to this site that you downloaded this free software???
I cannot give the exact link since i had to register to get the EasyShare software to download. They did give me a option to upgrade the software automatically. But I opted out of that (Guess that didn't make any difference to them). After cleaning up my computer i downloaded One Touch. Spyware back again.....not the same stuff but it was there. I did send them a email from the link on there site complaining about it. Guess I'll stick with Canon...

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to magicpro1

Premium Member

to magicpro1
I asked..because on the CD's before you fully install..it gives you the option to not have all the "extras" even email notices

For the BackWeb thing..I do know that even certain AV's use backweblite to update (F-Secure)..but is not spyware...

In anycase I have sent them a Link to this THREAD so lets see if someone shows up from their group. BTW just saw a piece on FOX news about the new process they will have a all target..and other chains stores to get better quality pics.

mjmsr
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Lombard, IL

1 recommendation

mjmsr to magicpro1

Premium Member

to magicpro1
I just went to the web sites you posted and downloaded both programs, ran SpyBot and AdAware...both came up clean!

When installing One Touch, it asked if I wanted to have auto update checks and I said NO, maybe you missed it and said ok?

Anyway, no spyware on this computer after d/l'ing the pretty good looking software.

Mike

Outsourced1
Premium Member
Holly Springs, NC

Outsourced1 to magicpro1

Premium Member

to magicpro1
I give up.
There is no spyware in these program but you people will believe what you want anyway.

You people are right IT IS SPYWARE. Be AFRAID. Never trust Kodak.
It's just that my computer must be immune to these spyware programs so they don't get installed for me.

An unmistakable sign of paranoia is continual mistrust. People with paranoid personality disorder are constantly on their guard because they see the world as a threatening place. They tend to confirm their expectations by latching on to any speck of evidence that supports their suspicions and ignore or misinterpret any evidence to the contrary. They are ever watchful and may look around for signs of a threat.

Because persons with paranoid personality disorder are hyperalert, they notice any slight and may take offense where none is intended. As a result, they tend to be defensive and antagonistic. When they are at fault, they cannot accept blame, not even mild criticism. Yet they are highly critical of others. Other people may say that these individuals make "mountains out of molehills."

mjmsr
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Lombard, IL

mjmsr

Premium Member

said by Outsourced1:
I give up.
There is no spyware in these program but you people will believe what you want anyway.

You people are right IT IS SPYWARE. Be AFRAID. Never trust Kodak.
It's just that my computer must be immune to these spyware programs so they don't get installed for me.

An unmistakable sign of paranoia is continual mistrust. People with paranoid personality disorder are constantly on their guard because they see the world as a threatening place. They tend to confirm their expectations by latching on to any speck of evidence that supports their suspicions and ignore or misinterpret any evidence to the contrary. They are ever watchful and may look around for signs of a threat.

Because persons with paranoid personality disorder are hyperalert, they notice any slight and may take offense where none is intended. As a result, they tend to be defensive and antagonistic. When they are at fault, they cannot accept blame, not even mild criticism. Yet they are highly critical of others. Other people may say that these individuals make "mountains out of molehills."
All due respect, but what's your point?

I think most everyone here agrees with you!?????

Are you paranoid that no one believes you?

winsyrstrife
River City Bounce
Premium Member
join:2002-04-30
Brooklyn, NY

winsyrstrife

Premium Member

The only reason I posted was because this was an interesting debate. I didn't know it would spark any kind of trouble. If anyone has an idea as to how backweb got into my machine after installing the Kodak software, I'd be glad to hear some suggestions.

I'm not saying Kodak has spyware in their programs, maybe Adaware missed the Backweb program, or maybe Backweb isn't classified as spyware. As you all can see, this is a learning experience. What's the need for getting offensive/defensive?

Lurkers inc
Don't Call Me Doink
join:2001-10-13
Seattle, WA

Lurkers inc

From memory Backweb was used by some long forgotten by me spyware program back around 1998 or 1999 that gave it a bad name. Mc Afee A/V used it for their anti virus program updates a while back. So I guess it could send data without the user knowing about it but I suspect they are upfront about it currently.

I would not allow it on my computer and a google search shows many do consider it spyware. If you go to »www.backweb.com/ you will most likely see it is or can have dual uses and probably a matter of how it is used determines if it is evil spyware or technology to make life easier.

Paul,

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to magicpro1

Premium Member

to magicpro1
Some computers come with Backweb pre installed--my HP did. I didn't even know it was there until I ran SpyBot. Maybe you had it all along and just didn't know it and the Kodak software triggered it into action looking for automatic updates. I got rid of it with SpyBot with no ill effects at all.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

said by La Luna:
Some computers come with Backweb pre installed--my HP did. I didn't even know it was there until I ran SpyBot. Maybe you had it all along and just didn't know it and the Kodak software triggered it into action looking for automatic updates. I got rid of it with SpyBot with no ill effects at all.

See here on backweb..even AV companies use them for updates and has nothing to do with spying

»What is IadHide3.dll?

Randy Bell
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24
Santa Clara, CA

Randy Bell to La Luna

Premium Member

to La Luna
said by La Luna:
Some computers come with Backweb pre installed--my HP did. I didn't even know it was there until I ran SpyBot...I got rid of it with SpyBot with no ill effects at all.
Three questions:

1. Are you saying SpyBot detects Backweb?

2. If SpyBot does detect Backweb, can we consider it spyware, or is SpyBot wrong about this detection?

3. How do we answer the assertions by NG and others that Backweb has been used for harmless things like AV-updates?

As a matter of fact, I used to have McAfee VirusScan on my system several years ago, and I installed Backweb as a trial (for downloading program and virus updates), but I didn't like the fact that it ran in the background and consumed bandwidth so I got rid of it. :)

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to magicpro1

Premium Member

to magicpro1
3. How do we answer the assertions by NG and others that Backweb has been used for harmless things like AV-updates?

You answer it by reading the entire thread I posted that foxsteve started...and read the entire thread.

BackWeb is not just one product. It is a comapnay and if you want to research "all" their products..here is a link for you.. this ain't Kazaa.

»www.backweb.com/products ··· dex.html

[text was edited by author 2002-10-08 19:36:35]
Name Game

Name Game to magicpro1

Premium Member

to magicpro1
The Backweb product no one likes is this one..and that is because companies and website that decide to use THIS one also at times ask for the following ADD ON modules.

»www.backweb.com/products ··· tor.html
BackWeb e-Accelerator™ Overview

Add-on Modules

Enterprise Video Communications
BackWeb e-Accelerator for Enterprise Video Communications leverages existing IT infrastructure investments in streaming media, webcasting and network upgrades, extending its reach with a complete application framework for managing rich content distribution.

Priority Publishing
With this module, you can proactively communicate key messages without depending on your sales force and partners to locate and open the messages, accelerating their reaction time to the information that's presented. High impact BackWeb Flash Alerts, containing any type of file or media, are automatically delivered to a salesperson's desktop, regardless of the application in use. The notifications can be set for minimum, medium or maximum priority depending on the urgency of your message.

Automated Encyclopedia
BackWeb Automated Encyclopedia is a repository of files documents that allows users to select and preview documents online and subscribe to only those documents they need. Once delivered, BackWeb's network-sensitive delivery make it possible for users to receive automatic updates to subscribed documents. The process requires little work and eliminates the cost of sending CD-ROMs and hard copy documents by mail or downloading large files from the Web.

Rapid Survey
The BackWeb Rapid Survey module improves your business' responsiveness to your sales organization by enabling you to easily publish surveys to collect and analyze information. A sales manager can publish a survey through a web-based wizard interface and create questions that have one response, multiple responses or text answers. The Rapid Survey module takes also advantage of BackWeb's Flash Alerts so they can capture their sales people or resellers' attention for higher response rates.

Market Intelligence
The BackWeb Market Intelligence module automatically gathers information about your competitors, customers and the marketplace from any Internet or intranet location. It turns any accessible web page into your company's personal information source. Market Intelligence monitors these sites and automatically delivers the updated pages directly to the user eliminating the need to manually go to these sites.
Name Game

Name Game to magicpro1

Premium Member

to magicpro1
Said by Bell:

"As a matter of fact, I used to have McAfee VirusScan on my system several years ago, and I installed Backweb as a trial (for downloading program and virus updates), but I didn't like the fact that it ran in the background and consumed bandwidth so I got rid of it."
___
Not a good idea to install the backweb download accelerator on your own volition to help download "anything".

As you found out even though it was FREE it came with a price..but that is all laid out in their privacy statement.

Many do not read those..and that holds true for other free things you will find to download on the internet.

Read the fine print first... even if the thing is only 20k in size.. and that brings us back to the Kodak thingie..it seems many could have opted out on certain things as it was installing..but who knows.."we" do not have any problem with it..but thanks for "Beware of free software from Kodak"
post...and let me say again beware of any free software..unless you read the fine print..it will save you headaches in the long run.

That way you can run spybot and say it did not find anything on your PC..even though you just got the latest update.

knowing what is really on your system is not that hard..if your research first. I was never into trust then verify.

But we all make mistakes.
[text was edited by author 2002-10-09 06:51:29]

magicpro1
Westmont, IL

1 recommendation

magicpro1 to Outsourced1

to Outsourced1
Well, first off, I wanted to report that I have given Kodak a week to respond to my email requesting information on why backweb could have possibly been linked to their free software. I have, to date, received no reply. If anyone else tried and got a different result, I would be interested to know.
Secondly, I have to say that I am disappointed in the hornet's nest this post seemed to evoke. We have a number of folks reporting that they did, near as they could tell, receive spyware from Kodak. And, we have a number of different folks reporting that they did not. For reasons that totally elude me, some of the ones that reported no spyware seemed to take the issue personally, to the point of slightly attacking the other group. What the hell is that???
This has NOT been our finest hour, and I am troubled to be the one who started the post. It's this kind of thing that keeps regular folks from posting, for fear of being jumped on by "regulars" that have more experience. I would ask that we ALL do a little attitude check here.