how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Taskbar

join:2001-02-11
Lake City, FL

Help Networking Road Runner w/Linksys Router

Can someone help me get my road runner connection up and running w/a linksys 4 port router? I just got road runner installed today. Are there any how-to guides that explain the steps involved? I have 4 computers I would like to share the internet access.

Thanks in advance,
Task

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

just follow the guide that came with it...

Roadrunner uses a standard DHCP config... no username/password is needed... no static ips need to be configured.

Bascially the steps are:

1. plug the cable modem into the WAN port on the router
2. plug the PC into one of the LAN ports

If you are unable to browse try turning off the cable modem and then turn it back on.

be well,

dib22

oh_climbr
Premium
join:2002-08-15
Waynesville, OH
reply to Taskbar

I had the same trouble. The solution was the proper boot sequence. I do it this way:

1. Plug in the cable modem and make sure the power is on
2. Connect the cable modem to the router
3. Turn on the power to the router
4. Make sure the PC is connected to the router
5. Boot PC

This sequence worked for me I have RR and a Linksys 4 port router.

Good luck

Taskbar

Lake City, FL
reply to Taskbar

Okay, if you go into the setup for the linksys router, what should it say?

My setup has these entries, and I am not sure how it should be populated:

LAN IP Address:
Lan Subnet Mask:

Obtain a IP Address Automatically
OR
Specify an IP Address
Subnet Mask
Default Gateway Address
DNS Required

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Warmest Regards,
Task

CSManiac

join:2002-05-22
Ithaca, NY

i had to do other things

I had to do more then just plug it in. I called up linksys and they stepped me through it all. But i have a static internall ip and have dns gateway and stuff.

Darthanubis$

join:2002-02-27
reply to Taskbar

Re: Help Networking Road Runner w/Linksys Router

»Linksys

Taskbar

Lake City, FL
reply to Taskbar

CsManiac: You mean that Linksys actually helped you get up and going with your road runner connection? Also, what information is populated on your "setup" screen for dns, gateway.... etc....

Task

smellslikeip
Premium
join:2002-10-22
Houston, TX

I do network consulting in the Houston area and have setup many networks with RR & Linksys devices. The two things listed below are what most frequently causes me problems.
1) Connection Sequence
Connect Cable Modem and Router (Ensure that you are getting a LAN (or equivalent) light on the cable modem.
Remove the power source from the router and modem. Wait 5 minutes. Connect power to the modem and wait for the cable/link light to come on. Power up the router.
2) MAC address filtering
I have been unable to get a straight answer from RR as to why some RR clients must use the MAC spoofing feature of the linksys router and others do not. My guess would be that different areas of town have older equipment that does not allow RR to do this type of filtering. You can find instructions on Linksys's website or they can walk you through the process over the phone.

It sounds like you have been jacking with it quite a bit, so it is likely that you have at least once got the sequence correct.

good luck

a

TheDeuce7

join:2000-09-28
Richmond, VA
reply to oh_climbr

For those of you using the Linksys router, do you need to leave the RoadRunner software installed on your PC? My assumption is no, you do not need it since the router takes care of connecting to the ISP.

Thanks.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to Taskbar

there is no real reason for the software at all.. in fact if you have a xp machine it will cause more problems than help.

darkadept
Premium
join:2002-02-17
Greenwood, IN
reply to Taskbar

I would recommend never installing any ISP software on your computer. They tend to take over programs (their own branding) and tend to cause more trouble then they are worth, even when you attempt to uninstall it

Feedboy

join:2002-11-18
Daytona Beach, FL

When I bought my D-Link router, the guy at Best Buy said not to go Linksys. Something about some sort of conflict between the modem and the router. It didn't make sense to me, but I bought the cheaper D-Link and have had no problems.

mdw
Premium
join:2002-11-10
Houston, TX
reply to Taskbar

my netgear is happy with RR

AmnChode
Premium
join:2001-03-27
San Antonio, TX
reply to Feedboy

said by Feedboy:
When I bought my D-Link router, the guy at Best Buy said not to go Linksys. Something about some sort of conflict between the modem and the router. It didn't make sense to me, but I bought the cheaper D-Link and have had no problems.
i agree that it makes no sense, and it is the 2nd time i have heard someone being told that.....quite frankly, i think a few peeps need to be slapped around a bit for saying it....that is like saying a monitor is not compatible with a video card....

ethernet is ethernet, no matter how you really look at it...well, in simple terms that is...hehehe

gregc63

join:2002-12-04
Vandalia, OH

There were some rumors out there that RR was filtering MAC addy's of Linksys router, but after thinking about it a minute, why would the single out Linksys?

I am a network admin by trade and have found out the the most important thing was the issue presented by Smellslikeip; your connection sequence with the cable modem and the router.
If you take the router out of the box and change nothing other than the admin password(which I highly suggest!), it should work absolutely fine.
I had some problems at first but I was trying to set thing up to quickly without thinking(had to get to work!), I also have a few more things going on on my home network such as a server doing DHCP rather than the router, as well as doing my own DNS resolution.
But if you only have Win9X, 2k or XP on your network, just make sure you remove the power from the modem and connect everything, once you do that, fire up the modem and wait until ALL the lights stop flashing, then fire up the router and go to the admin page and check the setup tab. You should see entries for an IP address for the router on the WAN side as well as DNS servers and the time left on you IP reservation.
After that is all done you may want to reboot all of your system so that they will get an IP address from the DHCP server built into the router.
You will probably need to rerun you connection setup from within IE to tell it you are connected to a LAN.
Hope this was of some help.

I've been running this setup for about 2 weeks and it works wonderfully, been getting over 2Mbs downloads, much better than our T1 at work! I've been waiting for this for a long time, well worth the price!

Good Luck!
[text was edited by author 2002-12-24 10:10:38]

[text was edited by author 2002-12-24 10:11:45]

[text was edited by author 2002-12-24 10:14:42]

daslowpoke

join:2000-09-13
New Port Richey, FL
reply to Taskbar

Taskbar - Did you get it working? This thread has all the answers in it. I only have one suggestion to add at this point unless it's not working. Be SURE to change the default password on that router. Half the people on Planet Earth know it...:)
--
What good is freedom without the freedom to make mistakes?

Taskbar

Lake City, FL

Yes it has been resolved. Sorry for not responding sooner. To be honest, I handled this myself a day or two after I got the system installed. It is working fine.

Thanks for the help

Taskbar

AmnChode
Premium
join:2001-03-27
San Antonio, TX
reply to gregc63

said by gregc63:
There were some rumors out there that RR was filtering MAC addy's of Linksys router, but after thinking about it a minute, why would the single out Linksys?

yeah...it does seem kinda discriminatory....but either way, you could clone your MAC address to the router and they wouldn't know the difference.....