sentlon

the worse country of broadband!!!!

i think Aus. is the worse!!!!
cap cap cap cap cap ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
yvliew
join:2002-05-13
Renton, WA

yvliew

Cap sux.. Dial up is better which has no cap. 3GB cap is just lame. In 2 months I can download more then a year of bandwidth in AUS! hahaha

Rockster
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Brisbane AU

Rockster to sentlon

Premium Member

to sentlon
I wonder if anyone has ever read anything like this before. Seems to me that capping is the billing structure of the future.

evilbunny
@202.14.x.x

evilbunny to sentlon

Anon

to sentlon
This is why myself and numerous others are playing with wireless gear to do at least data locally between friends...

»www.sydneywireless.com (Sydney, NSW, Australia community wireless)
»www.nodedb.com (global list of wireless community groups)

rokki
If The Only Way Is Up,Why Have Gravity ?
join:2001-08-29
NZ

rokki to sentlon

to sentlon
You guys should be thankfull you don't live in NZ our caps start at 500mb for adsl or ihug ultra and are priced at about $60.00 NZ.

Rockster
Premium Member
Brisbane AU

Rockster

Premium Member

We are thankful we don't live in New Zealand, but not for that reason...

Only kidding

That's about the price you pay for a startup cable connection here too:
300MB Residential $54.95 300MB uncapped*/128^ $0.159
1GB Residential $64.95 1GB uncapped*/128^ $0.149
3GB Residential $87.95 3GB uncapped*/128^ $0.139
5GB Residential $169.95 5GB uncapped* $0.129
10GB Residential $339.95 10GB uncapped* $0.119

I'd link to the page, but for some reason the page has a time limit.

rokki
NZ

rokki

Hi i live in Auckland and cable is not available here but it is in Wellington and Christchurch they are going to implement it in auck but it won't be underground they are going to hang it off power lines that is going to look so good not !!!!!!.

Rockster
Premium Member
Brisbane AU

Rockster

Premium Member

When Optus first got started in the cable business, they had a lot of fun making the power lines look even uglier too by hanging those thick cables all over them.
Crop Duster
join:2002-06-26
Gatineau, QC

Crop Duster to Rockster

to Rockster
"300MB Residential $54.95 300MB uncapped*/128^ $0.159
1GB Residential $64.95 1GB uncapped*/128^ $0.149
3GB Residential $87.95 3GB uncapped*/128^ $0.139
5GB Residential $169.95 5GB uncapped* $0.129
10GB Residential $339.95 10GB uncapped* $0.119"

Holy moly

And I thought we had it bad here in Canada.

Now I don't feel as bad
[text was edited by author 2002-11-17 22:33:16]
babymacks
Est-Ce Que...?
join:2002-10-05
Salt Lake

babymacks to sentlon

to sentlon
You can actually get a fairly good connection with Walker Wireless in NZ, fast speeds and no caps of what I know of. Just have to be within 2km of the antenna tower and be willing to pay $1200NZD/mo...

God bless America!!!

a4nic8er
Tempus Fugit, Carpe Cerevisi
join:2001-03-09
New Zealand

a4nic8er to rokki

to rokki
said by rokki:
You guys should be thankfull you don't live in NZ our caps start at 500mb for adsl or ihug ultra and are priced at about $60.00 NZ.
You shopped around? Last time I looked you could get;
1Gb of international data @512/128 DSL
or
5Gb of international data @256/128 DSL
or
10Gb of international data @128/128 DSL
with domestic traffic free for around the $60 mark in NZ

»forums.whirlpool.net.au/ ··· ?t=16731

»forums.whirlpool.net.au/ ··· &p=1#r20
babymacks
Est-Ce Que...?
Salt Lake

babymacks

Yea you can get all of that yes, but it's really expensive. Plain out Jetstream in NZ is $$$$$ but usually SDSL @ 8Mbps. 128/128 unlimited traffic (up to 10gb) will still run you about 80-100 and anything more you can expect a low bandwidth cap and expensive prices. My family still there use Maxnet with Jetstart - it's a 10gb limit per month and around $100/mo... still, I hope for there sake they raise the caps sometime soon...

Rockster
Premium Member
Brisbane AU

Rockster

Premium Member

Those prices sound quite reasonable actually. If you look at your services using Maxnet with Jetstart you're getting twice as many gigs per month that I'm allowed and all for $100PM. Converting that to USD, that works out comparable to what people are getting in the States, except they're mostly not capped of course!
babymacks
Est-Ce Que...?
Salt Lake

babymacks

Yes speedwise agreed, most of the speeds you can get in NZ or AUS are still damn good, but arrg its those caps that drive people insane...

rokki
NZ

rokki to a4nic8er

to a4nic8er
said by a4nic8er:
said by rokki:
You shopped around? Last time I looked you could get;
1Gb of international data @512/128 DSL
or
5Gb of international data @256/128 DSL
or
10Gb of international data @128/128 DSL
with domestic traffic free for around the $60 mark in NZ

»forums.whirlpool.net.au/ ··· ?t=16731

»forums.whirlpool.net.au/ ··· &p=1#r20

Yeah i had a look at what you said but i am not complaing about the speed that has never been an issue the problem is the unrealistic caps that they impose on us also further to the links with ihug if you have earth based ihug ultra and can see our skytower then you have an extra 2 gig per month up to a total of 4 gig in that case but if like myself you come off the satellite then you have 2 gig limit in total.You can also buy a 2 gig topup that has restictions on when you can use it for another $30 nz i believe.In tw0 hours downloading i can eat 500 plus mg one quarter of my limit.So you aways tend to surf as though someone is looking over your shoulder.Kind of negating the enjoyment of it.
babymacks
Est-Ce Que...?
Salt Lake

babymacks

Absolutely true, I mean, if you have the capabilities of such huge speed - it's really pretty sad to be able to use up a whole months worth of data in a few hours

Not to mention on top of that, but how many COs in NZ are actually capable of Jetstream? (Not satellite or wireless, I mean true hard-wire connections) It's ridiculous, maybe 10?

Still a very developing country when it comes to technology...

rokki
NZ

rokki to sentlon

to sentlon
Yep bandwith limitations suck but what can you do ?????.At least it can't get any worse lol.The only way from here is up !!!!!!

Rockster
Premium Member
Brisbane AU

Rockster

Premium Member

Hate to burst your bubble, but it could get worse...just wait for the prices to go up
babymacks
Est-Ce Que...?
Salt Lake

babymacks

lol very true... I suppose it's a "reasonable" price considering being on a scattered island... I've heard rumors now that the gov't in NZ is setting up wireless transceivers all over the country - that'll be cool if it gets up and going

And yes, as for caps, have yall heard that they may be coming to the US? Won't that be great?

Rockster
Premium Member
Brisbane AU

Rockster to sentlon

Premium Member

to sentlon
Yes, I've been reading the discussions in the other forums about capping. It's pretty well established by all accounts in Canada and I've read many single instances of users in the US starting to be capped. Mind you, their caps seem a lot more reasonable than ours - in the range of 30 Gb down and 5 Gb up in a lot of cases.

And you know who they have to thank for all of this? That's right - our very own Hel$tra...
babymacks
Est-Ce Que...?
Salt Lake

babymacks

God bless 'em!!

rokki
NZ

rokki to babymacks

to babymacks
said by babymacks:
lol very true... I suppose it's a "reasonable" price considering being on a scattered island... I've heard rumors now that the gov't in NZ is setting up wireless transceivers all over the country - that'll be cool if it gets up and going

And yes, as for caps, have yall heard that they may be coming to the US? Won't that be great?

Yeah i have heard rumours of this too i suspect it is for schools though just through stuff i have heard. Their is a company called walker wireless that is rolling out this technology speeds are less than adsl or ihug ultra and their caps start at 1 gig about $100 per month they are also trialling a wifi style of conection as we speak in conjunction with vodaphone.And with regards to caps in the us i think their is something on dslreports homepage as we speak.
rokki

rokki to sentlon

to sentlon
Hi if anyone is interested you can no longer get the 2gig addon for ihug ultra.So i think we can safely say we are the worst country for broadband (that i know about) !!!!
wyman9
join:2002-12-14
au

wyman9 to sentlon

to sentlon
Well I like my plan, 24GBs/month, 6MBits/sec Downloads and only $69.95

ausWY,

Rockster
Premium Member
Brisbane AU

Rockster

Premium Member

said by wyman9:
Well I like my plan, 24GBs/month, 6MBits/sec Downloads and only $69.95

ausWY,
Well????

Don't keep us in suspense - what's your ISP?

rokki
NZ

rokki to sentlon

to sentlon
Oh well i will just have to dream of a day with no caps.

Rockster
Premium Member
Brisbane AU

Rockster

Premium Member

said by rokki:
Oh well i will just have to dream of a day with no caps.
Well, if wyman would pipe up with his ISP, maybe we could all share what seems to be an 'unbelievable' cap, speed and price!
chuckca5
join:2001-10-04
Sonoma, CA

chuckca5 to sentlon

to sentlon
That sucks for you all, i live in the US and have cable and get download speeds of 1.8mbps and 248kbps up and i have no upload or download cap. all for only $42.00 mo.
babymacks
Est-Ce Que...?
Salt Lake

babymacks

Well duh, that's the US for you.

I still have family and friends back in Wellington, and apparently the caps ARE going up somewhat. If I was still down there I'd probably be on JetStart - 128/128Kbps unlimited international/national traffic + unlimited and full speed access to JetStream's game servers. 8Mbps!! Only $60/mo with Neuron (»www.neuron.net.nz)

I actually may be packing up and moving back in the next 6-8 months. I will miss my broadband, but has anyone been paying much attention to this whole SpaceWay project? Looks like PAS2 (PanAmSat2) will be delivering 30Mbps/2Mbps via satellite to NZ/AUS in the next 12-18 months Until then, keep me posted on any data limitation changes!

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

I'm in a groupe with people from all over the world. all I can say is GOD BLESS NEW Jersey.