uniqs

GeekNJ
Premium Member
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ

GeekNJ

Premium Member

URLS immediately after a Quote don't hyperlink

Seems that if you have an http reference right after the ] following the end of a quote, it's not automatically hyperlinked.

An example of one that works, where a space is located between the end bracket and the http:
said by Valid:
Valid
»www.yahoo.com

An example of one that does not work, where the http reference immediately follows the end quote bracket:
said by NotValid:
Not Valid
»www.yahoo.com

pike
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

pike

Premium Member

This has been reported many times and it's still not a bug! It's impossible for the forum software to determine if you're trying to hyperlink something if you don't put a space between the bracket and the link you're trying to create..

-Mike

GeekNJ
Premium Member
Waldwick, NJ

GeekNJ

Premium Member

said by pike:
This has been reported many times and it's still not a bug! It's impossible for the forum software to determine if you're trying to hyperlink something if you don't put a space between the bracket and the link you're trying to create..
Never saw it posted - my mistake. But I can assure you that it's NOT impossible for the parser to determine the hyperlink, following an end quote tag, is indeed a hyperlink.

pike
Premium Member
Washington, DC

pike

Premium Member

Well, OK. Probably not impossible, but it would require a lot of additional coding to be able to extract a link embedded in a string of text/characters. It's a lot easier to just stick one space after the closing bracket.

-Mike

GeekNJ
Premium Member
Waldwick, NJ

GeekNJ

Premium Member

Pike: Please don't take this the wrong way, but you really don't know what you're talking about.

The program that parses the text absolutely know when the quote tag has ended. It even puts blank spaces between it and the first text after the quote end tag. Whatever Justin (or whomever) coded to determine the start of a hyperlink, needs to properly set, what I already imagine is an existing indicator, when the quote has ended. It's not part of a string of text/characters once they have already parsed the end of the quote.

So, will all do respect, let the folks that actually know respond.

pike
Premium Member
Washington, DC

pike

Premium Member

said by GeekNJ:
It even puts blank spaces between it and the first text after the quote end tag.
It does? Looks like one long string of text to me...

-Mike

GeekNJ
Premium Member
Waldwick, NJ

GeekNJ

Premium Member

As a mainframe developer back in the mid 80's and responsible for the development of a commercial package that parsed DOS VSE JCL and converted it to MVS JCL, I'm intimately familiar with what needs to be done.

Here's proof that the source is being parsed properly for other tags.
said by FoundBold:
Does bold show up next?
Bold?

As you can see, the parser saw the bold tag [ b ] after the end quote even though there's no space between the end quote tag and the bold tag. So it knows. It's just not handling the hyperlink recognition properly.

As I asked before, since you really don't understand what's involved, please don't respond. The developers will understand the issue and can address it.

pike
Premium Member
Washington, DC

pike

Premium Member

Heh.. html tags (such as <B> ) are parsed by, and interpreted by, the browser and ignored by the forum. What does that have to do with it?

This is getting silly. I think I'm done with this thread, I gave you the workaround everyone else uses.. have a nice day .

-Mike

GeekNJ
Premium Member
Waldwick, NJ

GeekNJ

Premium Member

Pike... I'm glad you are done, but as I posted in my previous thread, I used the [ b ] tag which is NOT a html tag but one specifically coded by the developers of the forum. This has NOTHING to do with the browser as the [ b ] tag is handled by their parser. Your browser wouldn't know what to do with a [ b ] tag.

And, I didn't need a workaround... I noted in my original thread that adding a space before the hyperlink works.

nil

join:2000-11-27

nil to pike

to pike
It is a bug.. The way parsing works it divides text by what is between tags and what outside.. lack of space immediately following the tag should make no difference.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin to GeekNJ

Mod

to GeekNJ
since the parsing is done in a loop until all are found, in order not to get caught looping, it does not parse what look like urls after quotes or angle brackets because otherwise it would match post substitution as well as pre.

There is certainly a better regex expression that could be used, or the parsing could be done in two stages, first replacing links with tokens then replacing tokens with html, to avoid this, but I'm too lazy to change that right now given the few posts it impacts.