GIT-R-DONE
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-19
St. Andrews
Reviews:
·Pickwick Cablevi..
·DIRECTV

1 recommendation

[request] To the keeper of the site.....

Click for full size
Is each and every Forums New Message template the same for every Forum and if so can it be modified ?

I would like to ask this before I venture a discussion with a particular Forum Host\Hosts.

TIA
[text was edited by author 2002-11-06 17:42:48]

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19

Re: To the keeper of the site.....

No, thats only in various forums... not every forum.

Usually meant for forums where it's a requirement to know the OS before you can help the poster.

imp$
Mxyzptlk
Premium
join:2002-04-05
imp@dslr.net

Why isn't that in the Microsoft help forum?

Andy8
B B R Bash Bush Regularly
Premium
join:2002-01-26
::1

reply to Bubba

I think that's where Bubba's going with this.., an add on to the Microsoft Forum "New topic" post window.

I like it.:)

EDIT>> *SIGN*

And make it so your post will not show unless you choose one.
[text was edited by author 2002-11-06 17:48:00]

MSeng
Premium,Ex-Mod 2001-08
join:2000-07-13
Ork
kudos:6
reply to Bubba

Would you like to venture a discussion now?

Nice idea...
--
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

Bubba
GIT-R-DONE
Premium,MVM
St. Andrews
Reviews:
·Pickwick Cablevi..
·DIRECTV
reply to imp$

said by imp$:
Why isn't that in the Microsoft help forum?
Hmmm....silly me thought I would post it here FIRST before I even consider "a discussion with a particular Forum Host\Hosts." If it's a site wide template that could NOT be modified for particular Forums, there would then be no need for discussion....Capiche

slash
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-01
Boston
reply to Bubba

I would defnititely sign on to this!!

I post a lot in the MS forum and often times the poster doesn't mention the OS which makes it nearly impossible to recommend an accurate solution (unless you just assume) since there are all sorts of variations between the versions.

*sign*
--
Why not join Team Discovery and cure cancer?

FastEddie
Premium,Ex-Mod 2001-13
join:2000-12-29
Channel Z

I think it would be a good idea.

Could be used not only in the MS forum but also the OC Forum, Hardware Forum and a few more forums where the knowledge of what OS the person is using can help in solving their problem.
--
»»»Press«««

Bubba
GIT-R-DONE
Premium,MVM
St. Andrews
Reviews:
·Pickwick Cablevi..
·DIRECTV

said by FastEddie:
Could be used not only in the MS forum but also the OC Forum, Hardware Forum
I agree and my attempt at an example is showing a thought pertaining to the MS Forum....one of only a few Forums I have ventured into....can't find passage to underground Forums, if there are any

Still....my main focus to this post is hopefully achieving just one answer to what could possibly be 3 further questions.

1)Most important one....can it be done ?
2)Would the \programmers\coders even HAVE the time to accomplish something similar.
3)Almost as important as first....does the Host\Hosts of particular Forum deem it beneficial.
4)Last but not least....do the regular posters\helpers of particular Forum deem it necessary.

Trying NOT to get cart before the donkey.

raw
War Eagle
Premium
join:2001-01-17
Madison, AL

said by Bubba:
1)Most important one....can it be done ?
Only Justin knows for sure.
said by Bubba:
2)Would the \programmers\coders even HAVE the time to accomplish something similar.
Probably, but once again, it's all in Justin's hands.
said by Bubba:
3)Almost as important as first....does the Host\Hosts of particular Forum deem it beneficial.
MSEng is the host of the Microsoft Help forum. FastEddie is in charge of the Overclocking Forum.
said by Bubba:
4)Last but not least....do the regular posters\helpers of particular Forum deem it necessary.
In the MS forum, absolutely. Let me find an example.....
--
Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now.

Here is one:
»CANT DELETE FILE

[text was edited by author 2002-11-06 20:46:29]
And »Defragmentation
[text was edited by author 2002-11-06 20:47:27]

MSeng
Premium,Ex-Mod 2001-08
join:2000-07-13
Ork

1 recommendation

Would it improve the forum? Hard to say....there are so many people that regularly participate in MS Help and who seem to read all of the questions posed, the only benefit this change would bring is it would tell anyone browsing EXACTLY what OS the question may pertain to. However, the MS Help forum also covers IE, OE, Word, Excel, Access, Exchange, etc., etc., and it may not be feasible to add the coding necessary to cover the gamut of possibilities.

The forum guidelines state:•Make the subject title indicative of the problem, including the OS you are using.
•If it is an MS product other than an Operating System, list the Product Name and Version.

FWIW, people who have not posted a new topic to the Microsoft Help forum for two weeks or more get a reminder to read the Forum Guidelines and site Terms of Service before they post.

I suspect many don't.

We've also added in the Forum header (in nice RED letters): Please include OS in the Subject Title!

Again, many don't.

It may be coincidental, but I actually edited the title on two posts today to make it more indicative of the subject\question. I didn't do it to be a PITA...I did it because (1) it will alert others as to the particular OS problem and (2) it will make for a better search in the future. I don't normally go out of my way to do this.

Why don't I (or any of the other co-hosts) be more strict on this? Quite honestly, in the grand scheme of things it really isn't that important. As I mentioned earlier, I have the honor and privilege of hosting two forums that include a lot of very knowledgeable people who can get around the limitations of those who can't follow simple instructions and still provide clear and accurate assistance to get the problem resolved.

I do, however, *sign* on to this. If implemented, it would IMO improve the forum even more.
--
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

[text was edited by author 2002-11-06 21:23:34]

raw
War Eagle
Premium
join:2001-01-17
Madison, AL

said by MSeng:
However, the MS Help forum also covers IE, OE, Word, Excel, Access, Exchange, etc., etc., and it may not be feasible to add the coding necessary to cover the gamut of possibilities.
That is true, but many times, the problem is OS (or at least platform)-specific. There are many occasions where a problem only appears on the NT series or on the 9X series.
There are also some of us who know much more about one series than the other. Having the subject indicative of the problem (as the forum guide states) helps those of us with limited time. Thus, I also *sign* (if it wasn't evident by my last post)
--
Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now.

bruzzes
Premium
join:2001-04-26
Euclid, OH

I am a "me too" person on this topic.

acehyde
Tired.
Premium
join:2001-08-14
reply to Bubba

*Sign.

I can't count the times someone has posted a question in the MS forum and someone responds back assuming the person has one version of Windows when in actuality, they have another.
--
"Quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius."

ninersfan

join:2001-02-09
Castro Valley, CA
reply to Bubba

*sign*

blank name$$$
Premium
join:2002-08-01
Lost in Time
reply to Bubba

Bubba, I'm giving you a thumbs up for that suggestion. A while ago, I made a suggestion to MSeng via PM that this: Please include OS in the Subject Title! be included at the top of MSFT Forum. If the poster is asking for help and does not post their OS, usually I go into their profile to see what OS they have (or have to ask them).

You have an excellent idea. Although not perfect and it does has it flaws as others have mentioned, I think it would work. Right now there is a anonymous poster in the forum asking for help and it's taken quite a few posts to find his OS.

*****SIGN******

Watching in silence
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Aurora, CO
reply to Bubba

*Sign*

I would love to see this in a lot of the forums.
--
You took a shot and it did you in....Edison's medicine!

DSmithLady
Premium,MVM
join:2002-04-23
Deep South
reply to Bubba

*sign also*

This feature would benefit both the 'poster' and the 'postee'.

ninersfan

join:2001-02-09
Castro Valley, CA
reply to Bubba

Didn't think about this earlier, but what about those "dual booters" out here, like myself?

It's not unusual to face issues with both software/Microsoft products that pertain to more than one operating system...of course, a work-around would be to choose whichever OS you are currently running in the radio box and mention the other in the post...

Just thinking this is something that should be considered in the process.

Garbs
Mudhole? Slimy? My home this is.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-27
Garden State
reply to Bubba

*sign*

great feature, would be a nice enhancement

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy
reply to Bubba

If there is one thing I hate, it's a ditto head. Ditto. I really like the idea. I think that it would improve the Forum a great deal. I can see it appropriate for other forums other than the MS forum too. I would like to see it added to any Forum that has anything that might be related to a specific OS. So often, I have read something and not until several posts later have I realized it has nothing to do with anything that might be of help or interest to me.
--
JKKAge is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

Jason
Stowage Class Traveler
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-24
38.2967 Lat
kudos:3
reply to Bubba

Useful in the broadband tweaks forum as well.

If its found possible, and *someone* is willing to dedicate the time to code it, that is.

-Jason

*Sign*
--
We are Microsoft Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is KZZZZZZZT .. Fatal error in module msborg.dll

RouterMan9
Sonic Speed Routing
Premium
join:2002-03-29
RouterLANd
reply to FastEddie

said by FastEddie:
I think it would be a good idea.

Could be used not only in the MS forum but also the OC Forum, Hardware Forum and a few more forums where the knowledge of what OS the person is using can help in solving their problem.

Agreed *Sign
--
UHF: "Stuuupiiid! You're sooo STUUUPIIIID!"

Stiofan

join:2000-08-21
Post Falls, ID
reply to Bubba

*Sign*

Sunriser13
Premium
join:2001-12-16
Umm... here?
reply to Bubba

OK, *sign*, but provisionally. Would there be a way of this only coming up on the thread start - in other words, not to have this be a required field for every post responding in every forum asking for this information? Also, what if a question has nothing to do with a particular OS? Would there be an option for "Multiple", "Any", or "N/A"?

Just throwing a monkey wrench in the works...
--
IF you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you... (Rudyard Kipling)

Techie2000
In Vertigo
Premium
join:2001-12-05
reply to Bubba

I *sign* because I believe that something like this could be really helpful in the support forums. I would like to think this could eventually be expanded to where there would be two types of posts in support forums. One would be a regular one, and the other a "support request" post with extra spots to type in your OS and/or other types of information. A great example of this type of thing would be something like what they use at »www.transgaming.com/
--
Be Windows Free By 2003!!!
"And I'm right. I'm always right, but in this case I'm just a bit more right than I usually am." - Linus Torvalds

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to Bubba

I'd like one of these in the Rogers Fourm

They could say
Hi-Speed
Hi-Speed Lite
EduNet
Business Soloutions

slash
Premium,MVM
Boston

It would be best to take that up with the forum host(s).

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC

That's justin!

slash
Premium,MVM
Boston

So request it in that forum. This forum is pretty much for site wide requests. Specific forum requests can be made within that forum.
--
Please join Team Discovery to combat cancer.