R Not
MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA

R2 to bluebottle$

MVM

to bluebottle$

Re: [IE6.x] Favicons not showing up now

I use a method very similar to this, bluebottle, but I think I make it one step easier -- maybe not.:)

For a long while, the Favicon here was NOT named favicon.ico -- although it is now. So, if you simply looked for a file named 'favicon.ico', you might be wrong about 0.0001% or the time!

I try to grab the favicon right after I drag and drop the entry into my Favorites. Since I just created the link, the favicon will be in my TIF and it will be less than 24 hours old. So, it is very easy to find this .ico file. this is what I do:

Preparation (done once):

1) Create a shortcut in Links that opens your "FavIcon" folder -- eh, I titled mine "Web Icons", but no matter.
2) Open a Find (Search) box and create a Search for files named "*.ico", Look in: "...\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5", Include subfolders, and set Date to "Previous 1 day".
3) Run this ONCE and then File | Save Search and save this file as 'FavIcon.fnd' -- or something useful. (I think mine was the default name...).
4) Move this new saved "*.fnd" file into your Links folder also.
5) Under Internet Options | Security | Internet zone, set Drag and Drop or Copy and Paste files to "Prompt" (not Disabled).
You are now ready to go!

Using this routinely:

1) Drag the link you are on into Favorites.
2) Click Links | FavIcons to open your FavIcons folder in IE.
3) Click Links | FavIcons.fnd and then the "Find Now" button.
4) Simply drag and drop your newly found icon into the FavIcons folder that is open in IE. Since drag and drop is set to Prompt, you will be asked if this is OK.

You now have captured the icon into the correct folder, and the folder is open ready for you to process it. Rename it to a unique name and then associate it with the new shortcut.

OK, those instructions are only of benefit for those like bluebottle and I who like to do this themselves! All others should simple get FavOrg!!
[text was edited by author 2002-11-17 09:55:48]
bluebottle$
Premium Member
join:2002-09-04
Richmond, CA

bluebottle$

Premium Member

said by R2:
OK, those instructions are only of benefit for those like bluebottle and I who like to do this themselves! All others should simply get FavOrg!!

Hey, R2, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one using this time-consuming process to save favorites icons! But I actually enjoy collecting the darn things; everyone else, use Favorg.

I used to use a harvesting process similar to yours because I regularly delete my Internet cache. I would just open my Temporary Internet Files from Control Panel and arrange by Type. Then I could just scroll to the favicons, drag 'n' drop them in my folder, rename them, and be good to go. At that point, I could delete the cache.

But I discovered that not all websites readily gave up their favicons simply by going to the site. On these sites, I could only get the icon by by using the www.XXX.com/favicon.ico method. Do you know why that is? To tell the truth, I'm using both methods now to be sure that I get 'em all!

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

I think it has something to do with being a control freak... well, at least for me!

No, I don't know why some sites don't release their favicon. I find the Address bar rarely, if ever, shows me the favicon.

HOWEVER, if I create a link to the site in my Favorites, then I know the icon file will be in the TIF and less than 24 hours old! It is a snap to find using my technique above.
bluebottle$
Premium Member
Richmond, CA

bluebottle$ to R2

Premium Member

to R2
said by R2:

1) Create a shortcut in Links that opens your "FavIcon" folder -- eh, I titled mine "Web Icons", but no matter.
2) Open a Find (Search) box and create a Search for files named "*.ico", Look in: "...\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5", Include subfolders, and set Date to "Previous 1 day".
3) Run this ONCE and then File | Save Search and save this file as 'FavIcon.fnd' -- or something useful. (I think mine was the default name...).
4) Move this new saved "*.fnd" file into your Links folder also.
5) Under Internet Options | Security | Internet zone, set Drag and Drop or Copy and Paste files to "Prompt" (not Disabled).

R2, your method IS easier than mine--I like it!!
The setup was a bit difficult for me, but I think I 've got it (partly due to my .ico files being associated with IrfanView). I have two questions for you:
1)Why set the search to "previous 1 day"? At that setting the search failed to find anything for me. When I left it at "Don't remember" it found all.
2)More importantly, I'm not being prompted when I drag and drop the favicon in my folder, even though I changed the setting. Do you know why? I have IE6, XP/SP1, Custom Security settings.

Control Freak, eh? Is that a nice way of saying "Anal Retentive"?

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

1 recommendation

R2

MVM

I set it to 'one day' only because I want the process to be exceedingly quick. If I just dragged the shortcut into the Favorites folder, then the icon will exist in the TIF for 'less than 1 minute' -- so even setting this to 'one day' might be consider excessive!;)

But, you are correct. If you have a clean and controlled TIF, then setting the Date parameter at all is not that helpful, and at best only saves a few seconds. But, a few seconds is a few seconds! (Anal Retentive, who me?!);)

As to why you don't get a prompt -- beats me! If you set that to Prompt, I would expect to get one. If you don't, then something is not right -- but I don't know what... Sorry.
bluebottle$
Premium Member
Richmond, CA

bluebottle$

Premium Member

I'll leave the search @ "don't remember" and I'll live without the prompt. Thanks so much for the instructions for setting up the "R2 Icon Harvester." It's a time-saver!