spc
Search similar:

uniqs

derek3546
@primary.net

derek3546

Anon

Config for 3546 with 5 SBC Static IPs?

I purchased a cayman 3546 for use with my SBC DSL which has 5 static IPs. I need some help! I am trying to config it using multi-nat, but I am doing something wrong. I am assigning a public IP to the WAN side and setting the gateway as the public IP Gateway SBC gave me, then using the default 192.168.1.254 scheme for the LAN. It won't let me save this config since it always wants to the LAN and WAN to be in the same subnet. I tried setting IPmaps, but it still doesn't work. does someone have a config similar or can point me to step-by-step instructions? Thanks!

ucc
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
Marietta, GA

ucc

Premium Member

Is this a new setup, or were you running before and now trying to use the 3546 instead? If so, what are you replacing?

derek3546
@primary.net

derek3546

Anon

I was running just using a dynamic IP with a surestream modem. I upgraded to 5 static's , assiagned 1 to my workstation, and all was fine. I just purchased the 3546 so I could use all the public IP for www servers, etc behind NAT. The netopia user guides don't seem to explain things in detail, they just seem to show me the screens. I am not familiar with Netopia and really need step-by-step on how to get my 5 static IP's working with the Netopia using NAT. I called Netopia, they want me to pay $50 to get the answer and the SBC tech didn't have any technotes available to him on his computer!!! Any help would be appreciated.
Gandalf99
Premium Member
join:2002-09-06
USA

Gandalf99

Premium Member

Hi Derek. Just wanted to jump in and try and help out. I am a Netopia employee, on the Sales Team.

Sorry to hear you're running into problems. Sounds like some confusion/miscommunication...

1) You can call Netopia Customer Service and they will help you. End users who purchased unit from SBC get free initial Tech Support. There is no $50 charge.

2) The SBC-ASI tech should have gotten you up and running before they left. They are supposed to have special job aids available for configuring for multiple static IPs.

3) Speaking of Job Aids, I can post a link to Cayman config instructions for you here, but I need to know what SBC region you are in (Southwestern Bell, Pac Bell, Ameritech, SNET)? The IP addressing is handled differently by SBC in some regions.

derek3546
@primary.net

derek3546

Anon

Southwestern Bell(St. Louis Area) is my region. I did not purchase the 3546 from SBC since they charge a lot more than just finding a place on the Internet. When I called SBC sales they guy said it would be cheaper to purchase from somewhere else nad as long as it was the same model they sell it would wokr, so that's what I did. I am familiar with routers, etc. But how I think the setup should be does not seem to be right and the config is not being accepted. I am trying to assign the 1 public IP to the router and then use the 192.168..... for the internal LAN. I guess I am missing a step somewhere since when I set the LAN address it wants to use it as the WAN address also. Thanks!

ucc
Premium Member
Marietta, GA

1 recommendation

ucc to Gandalf99

Premium Member

to Gandalf99
said by Gandalf99:
3) Speaking of Job Aids, I can post a link to Cayman config instructions for you here, but I need to know what SBC region you are in (Southwestern Bell, Pac Bell, Ameritech, SNET)? The IP addressing is handled differently by SBC in some regions.
Could you perhaps pass along to LBB the config instructions for all the regions so he can put it in our FAQ's? We get this type of question quite alot.

TIA
ucc

ucc to derek3546

Premium Member

to derek3546
derek3546,

Not sure, but I think you will end up assigning one of your static addys to the Cayman itself (now you have used 2 of your statics) then pointing your LAN PC's to that (gateway)addy.
But let's see that the real instructions say
Gandalf99
Premium Member
USA

2 recommendations

Gandalf99 to derek3546

Premium Member

to derek3546
ConfigInstru···BPAC.zip
396,127 bytes
(ConfigInstructions_SWBPAC.doc)
ConfigInstru···SNET.zip
352,802 bytes
(ConfigInstructions_AITSNET.doc)
OK Derek, thanks for the clarification.

Attached with this link are two documents. One is instructions for configuring the Cayman 3546 when used in Southwestern Bell, Pacific Bell, or Nevada Bell regions for SBC. The other is for Ameritech and SNET regions.

These documents include instructions for multiple installation scenarios that you may run into. Just pick the one applicable to you and follow the steps.

Note that these instructions were generated from Netopia and are based on then-current information/assumptions about SBC's network, which is subject to change.

LB -- Could you add these to the Cayman Forum FAQ page??

derek3546
@primary.net

derek3546

Anon

Thank you very much! I have a new appreciation for netopia

LBB
MVM
join:2001-06-14
Bama

LBB to Gandalf99

MVM

to Gandalf99
said by Gandalf99:
LB -- Could you add these to the Cayman Forum FAQ page??
No Problem!

Thanks for coming through for us!:)

LB
Gandalf99
Premium Member
USA

Gandalf99

Premium Member

P.S. -- LB, in case the question comes up, these instructions are based on the Cayman 6.3 firmware and, in addition to the Cayman 3546, should also be applicable to the Cayman 3547w or the Cayman 3220-H (if they are running 6.3 firmware).

derek3546
@primary.net

derek3546

Anon

It works!!!! I was just missing 1 step. Thank you very much! Netopia really should have these on their website. Makes configuring their product a snap.

ucc
Premium Member
Marietta, GA

ucc

Premium Member

said by derek3546:
Netopia really should have these on their website. Makes configuring their product a snap.
LBB,

Till that happens, I have made the docs available @ ftp.uccsw.com

I can host them for awhile till we figure out what to do or till Netopia posts them.

EDIT: They are already extracted to docs.

Gandalf99,

Thanks from me also for the info. Now us Bellsouth people can feel more comfortable.
[text was edited by author 2002-11-19 14:07:43]

LBB
MVM
join:2001-06-14
Bama

LBB

MVM

said by ucc:

LBB,

Till that happens, I have made the docs available @ ftp.uccsw.com

I can host them for awhile till we figure out what to do or till Netopia posts them.
Sounds Good, It will take a couple of days to see how to go about adding them to the FAQ. The are "graphic heavy" and will take some work. Mind you, I'm not complaining, I'm proud we finally got them!!

Thanks to both of you!

LBB

rtechman
@wcfltx.swbell.ne

rtechman

Anon

convert to adobe pdf, just 102k.

ucc
Premium Member
Marietta, GA

ucc

Premium Member

said by rtechman:
convert to adobe pdf, just 102k.
Done....

buraglio
@dsl.clevoh.ameritech

buraglio to LBB

Anon

to LBB
Interestingly enough, I have tried this using firmware 6.3.0r7 and it fails every time with the standard username@static_ameritech.net.
I can plug it into two seperate speedstream 5861 routers running 5.3.20 and the exact same username and password work fine, routed subnet and all. Anyone else seen this?
I'd really like to see how the cayman compares to some of the other routers I have.
buraglio

buraglio

Anon

Almost forgot, As soon as I remove the "static_" it connects fine and gets a dynamic address.
buraglio

buraglio

Anon

I finally figured out that you have to give it your first static address (to the wan port) It will then authenticate fine. The Speedstream 5861 routers do not require this.