Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-08
Butler, PA
Reviews:
·Armstrong Zoom ..

3 recommendations

How to build a water tower (bong)

what you will need:

- PVC pipe, 4inch dia, get the cheaper thin pipe - 63" ($2.99 for 20foot at lowes)
- Sanitary "T"
- Bucket with lid... the square cat litter bucket is great.
- Showerhead, try to get one like the pic.
- Drain grate
- 1/2" X 1/2" 90 degree hose barb, threaded on one end.
- 1/2" X 1/2" straight hose barb, threaded on one end.
- Goop or Homax weld..... glues both sold at walmart and lowes
- Hole saw for drill try to get one size under 1/2"
- Tubing, about 15 foot
- Two pumps at least 300ghp
- 92MM fan, between 40 and 65cfm... any more wont cool as well. you can use an 80mm fan also but 120mm wont work.
- PVC primer and cement
- Hose clamps, about 6 small ones for the tubing and 2 large ones for the PVC (found by the pvc at lowes)
- Four "L" brackets

1. Use the hole saw and drill the hole about 1/4 from the bottom of the bucket. Screw the straight barb into the hole. Put goop on the inside of the bucket around the barb and let it set.... do the same thing in about 5 hours to the outside. This is one case in which a little doesnt go a long way. it needs 24 hours to dry but i would go 36 to be sure.

2. Cut the PVC into 3 lengths. The top section is 25" ..... the bottom is 22" and about a 12" section for the fan. make sure the very top end is level (or close). Use your hole saw again and drill about 4 - 6 random (evenly spaced) holes in the bottom section no more then 1 foot from the bottom of the pipe (this will help water flow). Use the purple primer to prime the inside of the sanitary "T"... all three ends hwere the PVC will attach. do the same to the PVC where it will attach to the sanitary "T". MAKE SURE THE "T" IS GOING THE RIGHT WAY OR YOU WILL FLOOD YOUR FAN. look at the pic to see how it goes. With the "T" going the right direction glue the top section first then the bottom then the side..... again a little doesnt go a long way..... too little and it will leak. If it does leak use the glue again around the outside of the seam.

3. Get the lid for your bucket, trace a hole with the PVC in the center and cut it out, also cut a "V" out so you can add water (see pic). When the PVC glue is dry (about an hour) you can start putting it together. put a few magizines at the bottom of the bucket or wood.... basicly anything that will give you about 3/4" of level space off the bottom of the bucket. Place the PVC "bong" in through the hole so the bottom is resting on what ever is at the bottom of your bucket. now, with somebody holding it level place the "L" brackets (4) evenly around the bong and mark the holes in the lid only. Drill the holes in the lid and using a nut and bolt secure the "L" brackets to the lid. Put your lid back on and the bong back in the bucket (still resting on something 3/4" fromthe bottom). Have someone hold it steady and level and use the big hose clamps (2) to secure the "L" brackets to the bong.

4. Get your drain grate. Cut a small hole in the top just big enough for the 90 degree hose barb to fit. Some showerheads have a flow regulator in them.... basicly a small piece of plastic that restricts the flow.... remove it. Attach your showerhead to the 90 degree barb then slide the free end through the hole. after you get your tubing attached you can use a zip tie to secure it.

Towers use about a gallon of water every 24 hours so just use tap water. if the sound of falling water gives you nervious ticks pour about a capfull of water wetter into the water... this will case foam and stop the falling water noise. Empty your system every 3-5 months and wash everything down..... DONT USE SPRING WATER.... the oxygen rich water will cause alge to grow.... using tap water or distiled you wont have this problem. Use duct tape to attach the fan. you can see the second pump restin on the "side PVC" holding the fan. With the Via Aqua at becooling you get a bracket to hold the pump... attach the bracket with zip ties. after its all together it should go.....

Bucket ----> pump #1 ---> CPU Block ---> Pump #2 ---> Showerhead.

Fill the system fully and only start pump #1 till all the air bubble are out of the system. After they are gone its safe to start pump #2. Adjust the water from the showerhead so its flowing down the center of the PVC. When the fan is running it will blow the water a bit off center so do this when the fan is off. With this much water (about 4 - 5 gallons) it takes a few hours for water temps to change. your water will be a few degrees below room temp when its had time to sit.

Maranello
Premium,MVM
Butler, PA
Reviews:
·Armstrong Zoom ..
Click for full size

Maranello
Premium,MVM
Butler, PA
Reviews:
·Armstrong Zoom ..
reply to Maranello

Click for full size

Maranello
Premium,MVM
Butler, PA
Reviews:
·Armstrong Zoom ..
reply to Maranello
any question give me a p.m.

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to Maranello
may i be the FIRST to tell you this...

you are a GOD

May I suggest you add this to the FAQ?
--
I would sell my soul to the devil for 18 months of membership

Maranello
Premium,MVM
Butler, PA
Reviews:
·Armstrong Zoom ..
reply to Maranello
forgot to add... pumps, tubing and stuff can be bought here...
»becooling.safeshopper.com/index.htm?710

and use nylon fittings.... metal are too heavy and dont glue right

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
reply to Maranello
So would this be what you use to make a watercooling setup?
--
Steve Case = Antichrist. 'nuff said.

Maranello
Premium,MVM
Butler, PA
Reviews:
·Armstrong Zoom ..
reply to Maranello
you can see my second one in one of the pics.... have one for the amd system and one for the intel. built 3 more too... one for the 2.8, 3.06 and the 2800+. after using tower cooling, unless i build a LAN system, i could never go back to a radiator again. there in a room out of sight so they cant be seen. when i had my agoia 1600+ it was running 1.8ghz @ 23C.... now thats cool

total cost for the tower and pumps is about $65 - $70. compared to a pump and radiator its about the same price.

Geronimo
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Newark, DE
reply to Maranello
At first I thought it was a bong. Then i realized if it was you would proly be the first person ever to die from a marijuana overdose.
--
Support Bacteria. It's all the culture some people have!

Maranello
Premium,MVM
Butler, PA
Reviews:
·Armstrong Zoom ..
said by Geronimo:
At first I thought it was a bong. Then i realized if it was you would proly be the first person ever to die from a marijuana overdose.

at almost 5 foot tall and 4" PVC i think id passout just trying to inhale...lol.

KAD Imaging
Just Shoot It
Premium
join:2002-09-21
Hialeah, FL
reply to Maranello

Doesn't the "running water" sound drive you insane? I imagine it would be like a form of Chinese water torture..

Coupled with the 7 or 8 fans in each of your 'puters you must need ear muffs?
--
-The Cobra
"Heh, your broadband style is good grasshopper....but not good enough. Watch my Earthlink style..."
1222K download 218K upload (EL 1.5M/256K)

sjohnson3

join:2001-02-28
Sioux Falls, SD
reply to Maranello
Will let Maranello explain, but the bong is one of the quietest setups around...
--
Don't confuse me with the facts...

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
reply to Maranello
What about the CPU block? what's the cost of all this w/ that?

Also, how would i get the cables for the water inside the machine? or do a leak-test?
--

Maranello
Premium,MVM
Butler, PA
Reviews:
·Armstrong Zoom ..
reply to Maranello
it really doesnt bother me with them in another room. i have a room for my furnace/air conditioning.... thats where they are. as far as case fans, since you dont have a hot hsf the case doesnt need much cooling. my 2200+ system has 2 20cfm sunons and the intel has 3 20cfm sunon.... very quiet. both systems are around 25C case temp. even if the tower was in the room you wouldnt hear too much of the fan cooling the water. most of its sound is absorbed by the water. if the falling water really bothers you just add the water wetter.... honestly you cant hear it then.

Maranello
Premium,MVM
Butler, PA
Reviews:
·Armstrong Zoom ..

reply to C0deZer0
said by C0deZer0:
What about the CPU block? what's the cost of all this w/ that?

Also, how would i get the cables for the water inside the machine? or do a leak-test?

im using the maze3 on the amd and the swwiftech mcw462-uh on the intel (but you can use it on either). block is about $50. the 15 foot of tubing would cover everything from the tower, thru the computer and back again..... its a good idea to measure before hand tho. at 69 cents a foot its not expensive. leak testing is really important for a first time system. for the water block you should completely unplug the computer and hit the power switch a few times, remove the agp and pci card and let the water circulate for about 1/2 hour and check. with the tower you just unplug the computer and after everything is running check the pumps and the tower for leaks.

to run the tubing into the system just use a fan space. i cut out the mesh where my fan mounts, smoothed everything off and just used that.... if i go with an internal system or back to air the case looks fine since i can use the hole again for a fan.
[text was edited by author 2002-11-22 00:28:11]

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ
say if you want to keep the machine running, but you have it first setup and got the CPU block and stuff... could you test it outside of the machine, provided that you made the proper measurements for the cables and stuff (and/or probably overcompensated so that you had some "wiggle room" later? )
--

Maranello
Premium,MVM
Butler, PA
Reviews:
·Armstrong Zoom ..
reply to Maranello
while your in lowes get some cheap tubing.... it kinks easy so i wouldnt use it in your system but for testing its fine. just enough to test the block and pump. you still want to test the block in the system like i said (no power and minus cards) just to make sure the tubing isnt leaking around the block barbs.

Toasted Comp$
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Pasadena, CA
reply to Maranello
You forgot to mention that when you use a bong the water evaporates really fast and you half to refill it a bunch...which is a pain because you usually want to run distilled water through it, because then you need to keep buying this special water to run through it.

If you get a big heatercore with some good fans you can beat those temps no problem.

Looking good though

leonard082
Hopping Zone

join:2002-10-18
Woodside, NY
reply to Maranello
Is innova water block better than maze 3 danger den? It almost cost the same. Can you suggest a good water block but cheap I am not feeling spend $ 70 for a piece of copper.

Maranello
Premium,MVM
Butler, PA
Reviews:
·Armstrong Zoom ..

reply to Toasted Comp$
said by Toasted Comp$:
You forgot to mention that when you use a bong the water evaporates really fast and you half to refill it a bunch...which is a pain because you usually want to run distilled water through it, because then you need to keep buying this special water to run through it.

If you get a big heatercore with some good fans you can beat those temps no problem.

Looking good though
said by Maranello:
Towers use about a gallon of water every 24 hours so just use tap water.
and no a heatercore or radiator cant beat a towers temps. with a h.c. or rad. your cooling the water by dissipation. during the process not all the water is cooled... the water touching the walls of the radiator is doing all the cooling leaving the water in the center still trying to cool.

the tower works with evaporation. the water leaves the showerhead and is cooled by passing air. the hot water molecules are evaporated. a big benefit to this is the fact that the falling drops of water are all completely cooled resulting in a water temp that is below ambient.

-----

said by leonard082:
Is innova water block better than maze 3 danger den? It almost cost the same. Can you suggest a good water block but cheap I am not feeling spend $ 70 for a piece of copper.
i still say swiftech makes the best block.....

»www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/mercha···ode=9303

»www.sidewindercomputers.com/swif···2uh.html

but the maze3 is very close in performance....(get the copper top)
»www.dangerden.com/mall/maze3.asp

innovatek makes great stuff but they want too much for their blocks and i personally like 1/2" systems. you wont be unhappy with either of the blocks above.
[text was edited by author 2002-11-22 09:26:56]

Torinalth

join:2001-02-18
Chapel Hill, NC

1 recommendation

reply to Maranello
I have also heard a lot of praises over the silverprops and cyclone 5s....

I plan to do a bong pretty soon.... how did you attach the shower head?

Torinalth
--
When you find something worth devoting your life to than take action, dont play it safe. Attack your goal or it will wave as it passes you by. - Greg, CNA

leonard082
Hopping Zone

Woodside, NY

reply to Maranello
how come danger den is more expensive than swiftech ( if I add copper top )?
I personally like danger den, It looks nice and viewable ( I like to watch the water running around the block ) but I want one that good enuf to handle oced 1.6 xp ( I am gonna unlock and oc it as high as I can ).
[text was edited by author 2002-11-22 11:19:35]

Maranello
Premium,MVM
Butler, PA
Reviews:
·Armstrong Zoom ..
reply to Maranello
stay away from lucite (clear) tops. the have a habit of cracking and leaking around the barbs. the maze2 is $42, there isnt much a of difference between temps between it and the maze3..... i tested mine against my maze3 on the same cpu.... almost 1C difference... thats it.

Torinalth

Chapel Hill, NC
reply to Maranello
gotta try MCW-5k next and let us know how it does.... and grats, ya got a sticky....

next month I might make my lurch for my water setup.. mcmaster is going to be my friend I believe.

Torinalth
--
When you find something worth devoting your life to than take action, dont play it safe. Attack your goal or it will wave as it passes you by. - Greg, CNA

Torinalth

Chapel Hill, NC
reply to Maranello
also, think a drill will work just as well as a hole saw? I have bits that can drill 1/2" or slightly smaller... but not hole saw.... and cant find em that small.

Torinalth
--

leonard082
Hopping Zone

Woodside, NY

reply to Maranello
should I get a special cold plate? What it does anyway?

[text was edited by author 2002-11-22 14:25:48]

Torinalth

Chapel Hill, NC
reply to Maranello
cold plate is only needed if you are using a peltier.... cold plate goes n cold side of pelt, water block on hot side.... peltiers needs pressure to work best.

Torinalth
--

leonard082
Hopping Zone

Woodside, NY

[text was edited by author 2002-11-22 14:28:40]

Torinalth

Chapel Hill, NC
reply to Maranello
you have way to any questions, start a new thread so we dont cloud maranello's

T

leonard082
Hopping Zone

Woodside, NY
k.. sorry
It is just I get so excited
I ll change the question to the one that has connection to water cooling then. Here they are:
1. What is the different between submersible and regular pump? Can regular pump work under water?
2. Is it true that ping pong balls inside bong will drop the water temperature?