somebodeez
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-24
here
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 recommendations

Preliminary eMule FAQ & Info

Since WildGod is already working on an official eMule guide, I thought I would just begin a quickie to tide us over until he's done
I'm sure his will be much more informative, accurate and complete but here goes:

The eMule web site:
»www.emule-project.net/en/portal.php

1 Your speed settings that you used in eDonkey will be the same for eMule.

2 eMule also works with Sharereactor (ect)links.

3 Ports forwarding for the router - same as it was for eDonkey.Not sure how to do that stuff?
Check it out:
»eDonkey and your Linksys Router can be Friends

4 Yes indeed, eMule will continue your eDonkey downloads. Just transfer your eDonkey Temp folder to the eMule directory or point eMule to your eDonkey Temp folder in Preferences/Directories.

5 After installing eMule, browse to the directory where you installed it to.
Open up the addresses.dat file in Notepad.
Copy/paste some server met addresses (one to a line) and save.
Close Notepad.

Run eMule.
If this is your first time running emule, you will want to go to your "Preferences" area.
Fill in your username and speeds ect.

In the "Server" tab, this is how I have mine set up (see screenshot). Next time eMule is run, it will auotmatically update the server list using the server met addresses you specified in your addresses.dat file : )

Here's a good place to get a servermet: (has pop ups)
»www.esel-paradies.de/

Go there, click on "Downloads"
Right click on the link called "server.met"
Click "copy short cut"
paste that either in your eMule addresses.dat file or in eMule itself under the Servers tab, paste it into the "Update server.met from URL" area and click ""Update".

6 Don't be alarmed if the completed file you have is smaller in size than the source. eMule compresses files while being transferred from other eMule users to help you get them faster.

7 What are "mods" ?
Since eMule is open source, there are other coders working on their own eMule versions, making their own modifications.
These are mods.
To see what they are and to check on them from time to time, trot on over to the eMule mods forum here:
»www.emule-project.net/en/viewforum.php?f=15

eMule and all of it's mods are constantly being worked on and new versions are coming out all the time. You're likely to see differences in the versions as time goes on.

8 If you are using the official version of eMule and you need help (besides asking here in this forum) you can check to see if your particular problem has already been addressed or ask about it here:
»www.emule-project.net/en/viewforum.php?f=2

9 If you are using a modified version of eMule, check the mod forum (linked above) and go to the forum for the particular mod you are using for any info about that mod.

10 eMule may start out a little slow for you. This is because eMule has a rating system. Make sure you have something to share so the more you upload, the better your rating gets.

11 The eMule forum has an FAQ - you can find that here:
»www.emule-project.net/en/viewforum.php?f=8
Since eMule constantly changes, it would be wise to check there.

12 Priorities - this is a really neat thing eMule has. In your "Shared File" section, you can right click on a file and give it an upload priority, allowing you to give people who want your rare files more opportunity to get them

13 Emule also has another handy dandy feature - you can specifiy how many sources you would like eMule to give to the files you want. For instance, if you think 100 sources for a file is plenty or if you think you'd like to have more sources.

14 That brings me to something else really cool about eMule - eMule will remember the sources it found for your downloads! No more waiting and waiting to try to locate the people who have your file.
If those people are on, eMule will find 'em for ya
You can right click on a file you're down loading and tell eMule to load the sources or save the sources. Someone told me though, that it's best, as a rule to let eMule do that automatically for you so as not to stress the servers. But sometimes, you may have to close your eMule for whatever reason (this is what I do) and before you do, you can save those sources.

15 eMule lets you decide if other users can see your shared files or not.

[text was edited by author 2002-11-28 11:20:03]

Flipyo
Premium
join:2002-10-11
Canada

Re: Preliminary eMule FAQ

Thanks for the great info! One quick question: does the rating system count on uploads send for things currently being downloaded (ie, temp folder)? I'm just curious, since my upload is -always- tied up by people getting things I'm currently downloading...

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
here
I wonder about that myself....

storm64007
Premium
join:2001-05-21
Freeport, NY
hadean, yes you get credits for the file your currently downloading and thats being uploaded at the same time. Hadean, you can change the priority of your shared files (your que will fill up with whatever file you give the highest priority to) by going into the shared file window and right click the particular shared file and prioritize it with a rating.

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
here
LOL, Storm you beat me to it
I was just adding about the priorities, LOL

AcidLoops

join:2000-12-26
Upland, CA
reply to somebodeez
Great Job but dont forget about checking to use EDK links in the preferences.
--
irc.globalx.org #bbr

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
here
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by AcidLoops:
Great Job but dont forget about checking to use EDK links in the preferences.

Yes indeed ,thanks
C'mon, help us out.
Feel free to add anything you can think of.

[text was edited by author 2002-11-28 11:29:42]

storm64007
Premium
Freeport, NY

You might want to change the max sources per file hard limit higher then the default. I have mine set at 2000 with no problems at all but you can put it at anything you want as long as your comp can handle it. The soft limit will change itself. DO NOT touch the udp limit..its set at 100 for a reason and does not need to go any higher(if you do set it higher it gives unneccessary stress to servers and you dont need it any higher becouse of the way emule uses source exchange.) I have my max connections set at 5000. Download is set at 0(0 is max at what your comp can handle)and i have been hitting my max(100K) more often then not.
[text was edited by author 2002-11-28 11:45:34]

storm64007
Premium
Freeport, NY

1 recommendation

How i have mine set up and running very smooth.

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
here
Thanks, Storm

Now we need someone to explain step by step on what to do when we're going from 1 version of eMule to another and still be able to keep our rating, ect.

storm64007
Premium
Freeport, NY

said by somebodeez:
Thanks, Storm

Now we need someone to explain step by step on what to do when we're going from 1 version of eMule to another and still be able to keep our rating, ect.
If you have emule already the best way to upgrade is to download the upgrade zip file(not the exe!), unzip it and just replace the old emule exe file with the new one you just unzipped into the emule folder. This way you lose no settings and credits.

[text was edited by author 2002-11-28 14:28:08]

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
here
Thanks again

removed
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX
kudos:40
reply to somebodeez

Re: Preliminary eMule FAQ & Info

I would appreciate if you suggested all of this for the FileSharing FAQ.

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
here
I think WildGod is working on that.
I just thought we could gather as much info as we could to help out and then he could incorporate it all into his.(?)

Xstealth

join:2002-03-19
Chicago, IL

reply to storm64007

Re: Preliminary eMule FAQ

Storm, If I unzip a current version of Emule to replace the previous one, do I first, allocate the new version to a different folder, exchange those .exes, then delete the previous one, cause wouldn't the process overight the previous one anyway, without doing this initially. Sorry if this sounds a bit silly.
--
I am 'The Wise' as what I speak reaches further than the abyss of space.

[text was edited by author 2002-11-28 12:49:30]

storm64007
Premium
Freeport, NY

Xstealth...download and unzip the upgrade zip file to your desktop. Now go into your emule folder and delete the old exe file and put the new exe file you just got from the upgrade zip file in its place. You can now delete whatever else was in that upgrade zip file from your desktop(all you need is the emule .exe file).
[text was edited by author 2002-11-28 12:58:49]

Xstealth

Chicago, IL

Oh.....I got cha now. Thanks.

Xstealth

Chicago, IL
Before I step up to the upgrade, who has it and how is it working out?.....functionality wise. I'm still on .22c.
--
I am 'The Wise' as what I speak reaches further than the abyss of space.

storm64007
Premium
Freeport, NY
Another thing that should be put in the faqs for any newcomers who never used donkey or emule is the sites www.sharereactor.com and www.filenexus.com. If they dont know those sites and how they work they will never understand why emule is so excellent and how they work together.

WSoxRock
Go Sox

join:2000-10-10
Lake Villa, IL
reply to somebodeez

Re: Preliminary eMule FAQ & Info

Great job somebodeez! This is a great app. Could never get the donkey to work correctly and the mule just rocks!!! Thanks for taking the time to write out some simple instructions to get us noobs started!:)
--
If God had wanted to go around nude, He would have given us bigger hands.

twiz20
Rip- You World

join:2002-04-09
DFDubb
reply to somebodeez
great somebodeez and storm. a screenshot with some explanation really help us visual learners.

twiz20
Rip- You World

join:2002-04-09
DFDubb

1 recommendation

reply to somebodeez
Click for full size
my2cents
Under server tab:
1) Sort the server list by useing the "users" column button. Use the shift key and mouse to highlight all servers with many users (ex 1000+).
2) Right-click the highlighted servers and make them "high priority" and "add to static serverlist"
3) You can manually add servers by entering the ip in the box and selecting "add to list"
4) Paste a server update url into addresses.dat (ex. »ocbmaurice.dyndns.org/pl/slist.p···best.met). When ever you want to update manually push the "update" button.
[text was edited by author 2002-11-28 15:44:51]

somebodeez
Premium,MVM
here
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Thank you everybody for your contributions

Now here is the complete guide here from WildGod:
»How to care for your eMULE - 11-28-02
[text was edited by author 2002-11-28 20:06:07]