SETTING UP eMULE
First you will need to download and install the eMule client.
Get it HERE
You can choose either the version with full installer or the .zip file. If UPGRADING
from an older eMule client get the zip and just replace the .exe file in your eMule folder with the new one from the zip. This will make sure you dont lose your credits.
You can also download the source code since eMule is open source.CONFIGURING THE MULE
Refer to Figure #1
for this section.
Choose Preference and then choose the Connection tab.A
You will need to determine and enter your max download speed. Take your advertised download speed and divide it by 8. EXAMPLE: my DSL connection advertises 768/128 so I would divide 768 by 8 which would give me 96. Therefore my A = 96B
Enter the same number as you entered in AC
Take your advertised max upload speed and divide it by 8. EXAMPLE: my advertised max upload speed is 128 so I would divide 128 by 8 which would give me 16,D
Take 80% of the number in C, EXAMPLE: I would take 16*.80 and get 13E
No reason to change this. It defaults to 4662 (this is the port the Mule uses)F
For max connections the developers of eMule recommend 500 for XP & NT users and 50 for anything below these two O/S. I have mine set to 4000 and have been increasing it little by little. I would recommend you set it higher than the developers suggest, play around with this number and see what works for you.G
This again is an entry you can play around with. I have mine set to 1500. (this is not a hard and fast setting, change it and experiment)H
The soft limit will set itself based upon the number you enter in GI
Leave this at its default settingJ
Leave this at its default settingK
- Leave this at its default setting
Now refer to Figure #2L
- Enter a nicknameM
- Click this if you want eDonkey links to work with eMule. (once you choose this all links you choose will be sent to eMule)
Click OK. Your eMule is now configured.FEEDING YOUR eMULE
eMule needs to have active servers it can connect to. Once you connect to a server, your connected to the network.
Heres how to get servers for your Mule:
Close out of eMule. Go to your eMule folder and look for a file named address.dat
, open this file with notepad and copy and paste only ONE of the following links into the file. (ONLY ONE). MAKE SURE YOU RIGHT CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW AND CHOOSE COPY AS SHORTCUT TO GET THE FULL PATH. I use the first one.
You can also add servers manually.
Please refer to Figure #3N
- Enter the IP address, port number (most are 4661) and name it. Click Add To List.O
- Copy and paste any of the links above and click Add To List (make sure you use copy as shortcut)
Another way to add servers is to go to a site which lists active servers and add them to your eMule.
Two good sites to get servers:
- Scroll to the bottom and click add all
- Click Serverliste then Click add all
If you find a server you like make sure you give it a high priority (eMule will try to connect to servers with higher priority first) and add it to your static serverlist (so the server is always in your list). You can do this by going to the server tab, finding the server in the you list, right click on it, choose Priority then choose High. Then right click on the server and choose Add To Static Serverlist. IF YOU HAVE A ROUTER READ THIS TO LEARN HOW TO CONFIGURE IT TO WORK WITH eMULE THE ALMIGHTY LINKS
Now the eMule by itself is an okay P2P but if you want to have the best P2P (IMHO) based on ease, file availability as well as knowing that you will get what you want and you want get fake or incomplete or stripped copies of whatever your downloading (as you find on Kazaa and Winmx) then you have to combine the Mule with any of these link sites: ShareReactor FileNexus MusicDonkey Sharelive Horror Sycamore Project (Lots of link sites) Nixed-HQHorror Ampster The Donga PussyProvider (for all your porno needs) º eDonkey Guide Exchanger Downloads CD Freaks SharecomUK AMED2K (for Asian Movies) WXP MrHussein's eDonkey StartseiteCityzenX Movielist CosmoED2KeDonkey2000 Movie PageeDonkey Links Black Sounds (for your rap album needs) More Music Links Divx Music Videos The Hardway Baraddur (TV Rips) Esellinks (games)
And dont forget the Sharereactor Forums
and Filenexus ForumsFAIR WARNING
Most of these sites are loaded with popups so get a popupstopper if you dont already have one.
My favorite popup stopper is FreeSurfer.
Very easy to use and can be set to different levels of strictness. Also prevents browser startpage hijacking and will even clear your temp, cache and cookies.SEARCHING FOR FILES (other than link sites)
Please refer to Figure #4
Choose the SEARCH tabP
- Your normal old-fashioned search engine within the eMule/eDonkey network. Just type in the name of the file and choose the type and click start.Q
- The web based search. This uses the Filedonkey Search Engine
. Again, just type in the name of the file click start and then choose which file to d/l.R
- You can enter a file link here. A file link would look similar to this : ed2k://|file|NAMEOFFILE|21224|10d2b5320fb4ab5cf4249|/ Just drop the link into the space provided and click start.
Another great search method is to use the JIGLE SEARCH ENGINE. TIPS & TRICKS & MISCELANEUOS
1) If you have rare files you want to share you can give them priority to be shared before your other files. Under the Shared Files Tab, Highlight the file or files you want to give priority to, Right Click, choose Priority and then choose the level of priority you would like to assign to the file. Highest Lowest.
2) eMule works on the credit system, if you dont like to share then use Newsgroups
. This is how the credit system works.
3) Since eMule is open source, Mods have been developed. For more info on these Mods GO HERE
4) If you were using eDonkey
you can still install eMule without having to delete those other applications. You can have them all sharing the same Temp and Incoming folders if you wish or set them up with their own folders. Since all three use the same hashes to find and d/ files they can all reside on your PC in harmony. DONT RUN THEM AT THE SAME TIME. You can actually start a d/l on one of the apps and finish it on another if they are all sharing the same folder.
5) eMule compresses files so dont worry if your completed file is smaller than the source file.
6) Official eMule Forum
and More Setup Information
7) Most files on eMule come in .Bin & .Cue format. Here is a .Bin & .Cue Simple Tutorial
8) You should defrag the drive where your temp d/l files from eMule reside. It will help the Mule hash your files faster. eMule hashes files which allows it to recognize only genuine files and not just files which are falsely named.
9) Partview VII
-Partview lets you to see the real filenames of all the files in your eMule temp folder simultaneously. It lists the numbers of the part.met files against the original filenames as well as sizes, bytes transferred, format and part name. It will copy out and rename part files (one at a time) for previewing in a separate folder, when you select a file from the list and click on the "View" button.
10) The first time eMule hashes your files you will notice a system slowdown and it will take a few minutes. Just let it do what its doing. The beauty of the Mule Donkey and Overnet network is the hashing of files.
11) A great tip from Storm64007 : Create a loop by putting the file your downloading on highest priority in your Shared tab, your que fills up with the very same file your downloading. This creates a loop in the credit system...meaning your constantly getting credits and moving up in ques for that particular file your downloading an uploading at the same time. Your constantly receiving and giving credits for that file...it makes for a faster download.
This guide couldnt have been written without help from so many of the people who visit this forum. These people deserve thanks and a thumbs up : Storm64007, Somebodeez, Twizam, JPP, Geron, TravisB, Lurkers inc. and countless others. Im sorry if I forgot anyone, I have been writing for hours now and my mind is shot. Please feel free to add any info here so we can all get our Mules running like thoroughbreds.[text was edited by author 2002-11-28 15:55:14][text was edited by author 2002-11-28 16:01:44][text was edited by author 2002-11-28 17:00:19]