All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Slick1
join:2002-12-01
Japan

Slick1

Is C07ft5Y a security/privacy risk??

"C07ft5Y" is in my registry and am wondering what if anything I should do about it. After searching Google, I found that it is Safecast and Safecast is the web adaptation of cdilla safedisc. So my question is what if anything should I do about it?

Cheers,
Slick1
Slick1

Slick1

Does anyone have any information on this? Have you looked at your registry to see if you also have this entry? Help please.

Repectfully,
Slick1

Merak75
AKA "Vukodlak75"
MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH

Merak75

MVM

I have it, don't know what it is though.

kevinkar
Premium Member
join:2001-01-30
Huntington Beach, CA

kevinkar to Slick1

Premium Member

to Slick1
Just found out that people at Amazon.com have been reviewing TurboTax 2002 Deluxe and it has a new product activation/copy protection scheme built in to it by Macrovision that allows installation on only one computer.

It evidently installs a copy protection mechanism called c_dilla and it reportedly installs a registry key (the c07ft5y mentioned in the subject) as well as possibly a hidden directory and something in the boot sector or other hidden sector on the hard drive.

I am still investigating this, but it has been suggested to me that the only way to get rid of this from the hidden/boot sector is to reformat your hard drive (possibly a low-level format) as uninstalling the offensive software doesn't remove the hidden items.

This is a major security risk and should not be tolerated. Anyone who has time to look into this ought to and report back to the DSLReports community.

So yeah, this is not a good thing!

Kevin

wontellia
@t-dialin.net

wontellia

Anon

still clueless? then have a look at this.... even it could make you more clueless...

»www.woodmann.com/fravia/ ··· cast.htm