« [Software] SpeedStream4060-XPHost?-null.null.bellsouth »
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next
Andy Houtz
join:2001-05-11
Marietta, GA

3 recommendations

Andy Houtz

Welcome Information for DirectTV Customers

Here is some basic information about BellSouth FastAccess for folks that are coming from DTVDSL. If you have any other questions please post on this thread and we'll get the answers. BellSouth actively participates in this forum and several support newsgroups so we are always around to lend a hand. Welcome.

BELLSOUTH® DSL NAMED PREFERRED PROVIDER 4 DTV DSL
[See this post for more info.]

Where to sign up online:
»www.fastaccess.com/splas ··· dex.html
Phone number for ordering:
1-888-321-2375

What is included with the service:
»www.fastaccess.com/consu ··· ures.jsp

Current promotions:
Free modem (after rebate)
$19.95 for 1st three months
»www.fastaccess.com/consu ··· cing.jsp

Residential Modem:
The Westell 2100 (free after rebate) with both USB and ethernet connectivity. BellSouth (and I) recommends using the ethernet connectivity. Standard issue modem for residential accounts. It has DHCP capabilities and a built in PPPoE client so no third party PPP software is needed on the PC. It is compatible with almost all routers on the market.
Westell FAQ »/faq/5976.

Residential Router:
2Wire Home Portal (free after rebate). DSL Router with HPNA (Home Phone Network Adapter) and support for up to 4 PCs.
2Wire FAQ »www.fastaccess.com/consu ··· king.jsp

DSLR FastAccess FAQ:
The best independent FAQ at DSLR with help specifically for BellSouth customers.
»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ

Common Questions
Q: Can I use my old modem?
A: See these two FAQs »/faq/1195 and »/faq/1194. Remember, there is a current promotion for a free modem. It may make more sense to get a modem that is correctly configured, supported, and warranteed by BellSouth.

Q: Can I keep my existing router/network and use it with the Westell?
A: Yes. The Westell has three modes of operation (Bridged Ethernet, PPP Passthrough, or IP Passthrough). This flexibility ensures that almost all networks can be configured easily and quickly. »/faq/5976

Q: Should I tweak my new setup for better performance?
A: Yes. Any time you make changes to your network or equipment I suggest you tweak your configuration. The two most important setting are your MTU and RWIN. Here's a detailed FAQ »AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »Detailed MTU & RWIN procedures and information.

Q: Are any changes required to my PC?
A: Possibly. If you use the Westell modem you must set the NIC card to "Obtain IP automatically". Please reference this FAQ »/faq/5990.

Q: Does BellSouth support PPPoA and PPPoE?
A: Yes.

Q: What speeds are available?
A: Residential speeds are 1472/256. Business class customers have several options. »/faq/2817.

Q: What are some of the differences between business class and residential class services.
A: »AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »What are the differences between Residential and Business FastAccess?

Q: Is static IP available?
A: Static IP is currently only available with business class service.

Q: Does this include a personal web page?
A: Yes. »home.bellsouth.net/perso ··· ages&ck=

Q: Does my fastAccess service include backup dial for traveling? What are the phone numbers and how do I access it?
A: Yes. »AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »Can I access my BellSouth account while traveling?

Q: Does FastAccess include regular POP email and a web based email?
A: Yes. Regular (POP) Email setup information is available here »home.bellsouth.net/scrip ··· ck=#qa01. Webmail setup information is available here »home.bellsouth.net/scrip ··· ck=#qa02

Andy Houtz
BellSouth Internet Services
Technical Services Group
--

[text was edited by moderator]

jazzman916
Life on the Upbeat
MVM,
join:2001-09-01
Birdland

jazzman916

MVM,

Nice job as always Andy!
jdpartin
join:2002-09-21
Jacksonville, FL

jdpartin to Andy Houtz

to Andy Houtz
Questions?? OK. BellSouth, are you going to take over the DTV DSL accounts currently in your region?
Andy Houtz
Marietta, GA

Andy Houtz

said by jdpartin:
Questions?? OK. BellSouth, are you going to take over the DTV DSL accounts currently in your region?
No. Ex-DTVDSL customers must order BellSouth Internet Services through the regular channels. It will not be automatically switched so I suggest you order as soon as possible in order to minimize any downtime or inconvenience. I would suspect that we will have extra personnel available and possibly specific plans to help ease the migration, but since this just happened I do not know any specifics.
Andy Houtz
BSIS TSG
jdpartin
Jacksonville, FL

jdpartin to Andy Houtz

to Andy Houtz
OK next question. Are you buying the modem when you order the BS DSL service deal or must it be returned on termination.
Andy Houtz
Marietta, GA

Andy Houtz

Basically you are buying the modems if you sign a 12 month contract. Both the Westell and 2Wire are free after rebate and after the 12 months it's all yours. Of course there are some stipulations if you end the contract early. Here's the small legal print »www.fastaccess.com/consu ··· ions.jsp.
Andy Houtz
BSIS TSG
[text was edited by author 2002-12-14 17:37:21]
jdpartin
Jacksonville, FL

jdpartin to Andy Houtz

to Andy Houtz
I was changing to DTV in part for the static IP. I had cable and the ip only changed every few months. I'm not all that up on PPoE. Can you tell me how often the ip will change?

jazzman916
Life on the Upbeat
MVM,
join:2001-09-01
Birdland

jazzman916

MVM,

said by jdpartin:
Can you tell me how often the ip will change?
Only when you drop the pppoe session. BellSouth's IP leases don't expire otherwise.
Andy Houtz
Marietta, GA

Andy Houtz to jdpartin

to jdpartin
We've had people keep the same IP for weeks and months at a time. It simply matters on what type of network you have, whether you turn it off or not, and whether any maintenance is done in your part of the infrastructure. BellSouth does not have lease times on its IPs so the only way to drop the IP is for you to intentionally disconnect, disconnect due to modem synch problems, or we have to restart something or due maintenance.
Andy Houtz
BSIS TSG
jdpartin
Jacksonville, FL

jdpartin to Andy Houtz

to Andy Houtz
Thanks. I'll sign up next week.

Great message board/response time btw.

Tell your bosses you sold me on BellSouth because you're on the board answering questions.

Dogwood
Premium Member
join:2001-01-14
Texas

Dogwood

Premium Member

said by jdpartin:
Thanks. I'll sign up next week.

Great message board/response time btw.

Tell your bosses you sold me on BellSouth because you're on the board answering questions.
Andy is the boss!

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to Andy Houtz

Premium Member

to Andy Houtz
Also, considering that most if not all DirecTV DSL customers in Bellsouth land would be provisioned by Bellsouth, is it possible for Bellsouth to switch your service instead of disconnecting with DirecTV and then ordering Bellsouth? Other ISPs can do this.
GhostFlyer
join:2002-12-11
Gardendale, AL

GhostFlyer

Unless something has changed, NO..BSIS will not 'switch'..a new account has to be built from the 'ground up'..and their accounting system doesn't have provisions to accept another ISP's account. (Correct me if I'm wrong, Andy).
GhostFlyer
Andy Houtz
Marietta, GA

Andy Houtz

As stated earlier, any DirectTV DSL customers that wish to migrate to FastAccess must go through the standard ordering process. Remember that BellSouth Internet Services is a separate entity (even with the recent changes) from BellSouth. I'm sure BSIS will take steps to help streamline the processing of new orders for people migrating from DTV, but they will have to order service in the same way any customer would and BellSouth will provision them like any other customer.
Andy houtz
BSIS TSG

joako
Premium Member
/dev/null

joako to Andy Houtz

Premium Member

to Andy Houtz
Yes you place an order like a normal customer, but sign paperwork that authorizes BST to switch your current DSL service to BSIS, other ISPs can do this, why cant bellsouth.

The idea is that BST is told to re-provision your service to BSIS without having to cancel first, so you might not have any downtime at all.
Andy Houtz
Marietta, GA

Andy Houtz

I don't know if that can be done since I'm on the other side of the fence. I will see if I can get any info on it.
Andy Houtz
BSIS TSG
smclaney$
join:2002-11-23
Cantonment, FL

smclaney$

I was asked to tell you that I didn't have to signed anything here in Cantonment Florida. I really went through the same process I did the first time I had FastAccess, when I signed up for DTV and Saturday when I resigned with Bellsouth. Very easy process and I didn't have to sign anything. I was told that I can plug in my old 3com around Tuesday or Wednesday and use it until my Westell comes in.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to Andy Houtz

Premium Member

to Andy Houtz
And one question left out, very relative to many DTVDSL users....

Q: Are personal servers allowed by BSFA. (residential)
A: Flat out NO

Just striving for accuracy and reducing disappointments.
(Though likely is in the Biz-Res difference FAQ many might skip over)
Andy Houtz
Marietta, GA

1 recommendation

Andy Houtz

Some more FAQs for DirectTV migration customers:

Q:I plugged in the new Westell in my existing network (router and several PCs)and I type in »launchmodem or »192.168.1.254 in the URL address field but I can not access the modem interface.
A:Chances are you will not be able to access the Westell interface behind a router. Most modems can not forward a local 192.168.xxx.xxx address to another network device. Here's what I suggest. Before you hook up your router connect your new Westell to a single computer and connect to the internet using the built in PPP client. Go into the modem interface »AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »How do I access the modem interface on the Westell 2100/2200/6100? and check your firmware version by clicking on the "update modem" button. If your current version is not 1.05.04 you should update it »AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »How do I upgrade the firmware on a Westell 2100/2200/6100 modem?. It will only take about two minutes. After the update, I would set the modem to "bridged ethernet" by going through the Expert Mode »i.dslr.net/pics/faqs/ima ··· 3035.gif. After you have set it to bridged mode remove your username and password from the modem. Put the username and password in your router, reconnect your entire network and go surfing.

Q: What information/settings should I use for the Tweaks Tests »/tweaks on this site?
A: This link has the correct information for FastAccess tweak settings. Remember, the recommendations on the tweak test may not be the optimum for your exact setup. For the most accurate tweaks, I suggest this link »AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »Detailed MTU & RWIN procedures and information.

Q: How do I setup my PC for BellSouth's Newsgroup Service?
A: Internet Explorer (Outlook Express)»/faq/5714
Netscape (Messenger) »/faq/5715

Andy Houtz
BSIS TSG
erisred
join:2002-12-14
Milton, FL

erisred to Hayward0

to Hayward0
said by Hayward0:
And one question left out, very relative to many DTVDSL users....

Q: Are personal servers allowed by BSFA. (residential)
A: Flat out NO

Just striving for accuracy and reducing disappointments.
(Though likely is in the Biz-Res difference FAQ many might skip over)

laborkei
join:2001-12-01
Marietta, GA

laborkei to Andy Houtz

to Andy Houtz
Hello, I was just printing off all this good information in preparation for my setup when my Westell modem arrives. Placed my Bell South order on 12/14. You mention to remove your userid/password from the modem, and move it to your router in the above steps. I have the Linksys Ethernet/DSL Router 4 port and the only place I see to put a userid and password is for access to the Linksys Router. I am on the current version of firmware. Can you explain?
Thanks, Keith

HomeLvr
Premium Member
join:2002-01-01
Atlanta, GA

HomeLvr to Andy Houtz

Premium Member

to Andy Houtz
does BS offer residential SDSL services, just wondering about that as DSLi my other choice has a great offer for it.
erisred
join:2002-12-14
Milton, FL

erisred to laborkei

to laborkei
said by laborkei:
Hello, I was just printing off all this good information in preparation for my setup when my Westell modem arrives. Placed my Bell South order on 12/14. You mention to remove your userid/password from the modem, and move it to your router in the above steps. I have the Linksys Ethernet/DSL Router 4 port and the only place I see to put a userid and password is for access to the Linksys Router. I am on the current version of firmware. Can you explain?
Thanks, Keith
Go into you web setup for the Router. If the setup tab is selected, scroll down below the DNS to the PPPoE area. I'd guess that's where the username and password go.

Eris

DocDoo
join:2001-07-08
Florida

DocDoo to laborkei

to laborkei
laborkei... Follow Andy's instructions he mentioned above. This will put the Westell in full-bridged mode and is the proper way to do it if you have a router.

Only thing I would add is: (before going online)

1) Turn OFF PC's, router and modem.
2) Connect RJ45 from modem to router
3) Power ON router (wait a few seconds)
4) Connect phone line (RJ11) to Westell
5) Power ON Westell (wait for it to sync)
6) Re-boot router (OFF then ON)
7) Power ON all PC's

* Ignore steps 2 & 4 if already connected.
[text was edited by author 2002-12-16 21:44:25]

joako
Premium Member
/dev/null

joako to laborkei

Premium Member

to laborkei
said by laborkei:
Thanks, Keith
No need, you should be able to set your router to PPPoE and not have to touch the router config.

laborkei
join:2001-12-01
Marietta, GA

laborkei

When you say setup as PPPoE, I see that as an option vs Obtain IP Automatically on my setup screen when accessing the router configuration. I assume I do this after doing Andy's Modem Setup steps mentioned earlier.. Please confirm. I just checked again, and there is no place for me to put a UserID/Password in place of the modems in my Router. Thanks, Keith

joako
Premium Member
/dev/null

joako

Premium Member

said by laborkei:
When you say setup as PPPoE, I see that as an option vs Obtain IP Automatically on my setup screen when accessing the router configuration. I assume I do this after doing Andy's Modem Setup steps mentioned earlier.. Please confirm. I just checked again, and there is no place for me to put a UserID/Password in place of the modems in my Router. Thanks, Keith
»kb.linksys.com/cgi-bin/o ··· a%20pppo e%5d%5d%5d&infobase=linksysrev.nfo&record={72}&softpage=IKW_ENU_JDocView

5. Scroll down on this page and look for (on older firmware) PPPoE or select the option for PPPoE under "WAN Connection type"
6. The following are the different formats for user names you might run into with Earthlink. These differ by area. If one fails please try the next:
a) Username: user
b) Username: user@bellsouth.net
c) Username: eln/user
d) Username: eln/user@bellsouth.net
7. Select the option for "Keep Alive" with a redial period of 20
8. Click on the Apply button.
9. Then click on the Continue button
10. Exit Internet Explorer

I've got to buy myself a linksys router so I can take screenshots.
TheHat3
join:2002-09-20
Alpharetta, GA

TheHat3 to Andy Houtz

to Andy Houtz
I would like to ask a question, which might sound a little stupid to all the experts out there. What is the major difference between a static IP and a dynamic IP (PPPoE) connection as it relates to the differences in DSL services of DirecTV and BellSouth. I have static IP, which I got in December 1999 when I initiated service with Telocity now DirecTV. I have a LAN here at home using a Linksys BEFSR 41but I don't host any web servers nor am I a gamer. I do have occasions while traveling when I have to remotely access a file on my machine, which I can do with a static IP. I also like having the "always on" connection in regards to almost never having to relogin again, even if I or no one else in the family has been online for hours or days. I have several neighbors and friends that have BellSouth FastAccess and their major complaint is the having to relogin in after they have been away from their machines for an hour or longer. One neighbor complains of having to reboot the PC and the DSL modem just to reestablish service. None of my friends or neighbors are using a router so am I correct in interpreting much of the discussion that I have read in this forum, that by using the router, I will avoid the constant relogin scenario. Other than the inability to host a server, is the only change that will negatively affect me be the inability to access my machine remotely and having to constantly login if there has been a long period of inactivity. I'm trying to find out answers to these questions before I signup for FastAccess therefore I will appreciate any responses that are given.
Thanks

DocDoo
join:2001-07-08
Florida

DocDoo

said by TheHat3:
I do have occasions while traveling when I have to remotely access a file on my machine, which I can do with a static IP.
A question you need to ask is, does BellSouth block port 80 (that is required for WinXP remote desktop function). Besides, I think RD may be considered a "service" that is not allowed.
said by TheHat3:
I have several neighbors and friends that have BellSouth FastAccess and their major complaint is the having to relogin in after they have been away from their machines for an hour or longer.
This certainly was the case in the past (or those without routers). Its my opinion that everyone with a broadband connection have at least a router (NAT) for their and our safety. As you are aware, with a router you don't need any PPPoE type of software like your neighbors use. The new modem BellSouth is offering (Westell) is perfect for those not wanting a router and just want a simple setup. The Westell is essentially a 1-port modem/router (built in PPPoE support). No need to "log-in" like the old days and no extra software required.

[text was edited by author 2002-12-17 12:35:42]
TheHat3
join:2002-09-20
Alpharetta, GA

TheHat3

Thanks for the response. I'm sort of leaning toward BellSouth but I had those lingering question. In other words, the Linksys router in combination with the Westell modem should keep the connection active and eliminate the frequent logins. By the way, I'm still running 98 SE, yeah I know I'm outdated, but it's been working for me. I've got too many pieces of equipment that don't have XP drivers available and they would be too expensive to replace. Thanks again