Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ninersfan

join:2001-02-09
Castro Valley, CA

[Poll] Where is everybody going now?

Poll
What Internet provider do you expect to be with after Jan 2003?

Yahoo/SBC

BellSouth

Covad

Earthlink

DSLi

Cyberonic

AT&T DSL

DSLExtreme

Speakeasy

Megapath

SonicNet

AOL plus

MSN DSL

Cable ISP

Satellite

Dialup

Other

Votes:450

If you are not sure yet then please don't vote as it can't be changed without doing a new poll.

Also, I'm sure I missed some ISP's but that's what the "other" choice is for.

navychop

join:2001-10-09
Fairfax, VA

Add me to Speakeasy, 2 accounts.
You might want to add another option, ILEC, for those that choose Verizon, etc.

cheerioboy26

join:2001-06-13
Lititz, PA
reply to ninersfan

I'll probably just go to my ILEC Verizon.....if I can....

OttoPylot

join:2000-11-21
San Jose, CA
reply to ninersfan

SonicNet. They're local with an excellent reputation.

bmn
? ? ?
Premium,ExMod 2003-06
join:2001-03-15
hiatus
reply to ninersfan

Probably Speakeasy since the have the special on the PS2 till the end of the month... That, and Bellsouth FA (pppoe, dhcp, no servers, etc.) sucks and I'm not about to willing give money to one of the companies responsible for putting DirecTVDSL out of business...
--
root by day... raver by night...
fluorine.org : GPL != truly free software

Here

@12.104.x.x
reply to ninersfan

Cyberonic 1 account

bobno

join:2000-10-31
Orland Park, IL
reply to ninersfan

don't know, I can go with ILEC/SBC which has restrictive and marginal service, I can go with a CLEC-based provider all who are buying service from Chap 11 bankruptcy resellers or I can get cable internet starting at $61/month from ATTBI/Comcast... Well I do have choices so that's good but each time I go through these migrations I end up paying more and getting less. I'll wait to see what DTV says on alternatives tho I'm not expecting much help from them in deciding.

ninersfan

Castro Valley, CA
reply to OttoPylot

said by OttoPylot:
SonicNet. They're local with an excellent reputation.
Then why does SonicNet still have ZERO votes? I'm assuming you didn't vote yet? Or still deciding? I haven't voted yet myself as I'm not yet committed either here.

said by navychop:
Add me to Speakeasy, 2 accounts.
You might want to add another option, ILEC, for those that choose Verizon, etc.
Yeah, I know...I thought about Verizon but hadn't seen much mention before in this forum so figured it would fall into the other category. Since I can't change the poll after the fact will just let it go, as long as the other selection isn't much higher than 10% I think it's still pretty valid anyway. Just if those selecting other would please post here what they are so we have some idea at least.
--
Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Random Nut
Premium
join:2002-11-29
Mosh Pit

Cyberonic With 1.5/768 and around 5600 ft away from co ill be uploading\downloading like a madman.

$50 a month
$99 Start up
Static Ip
Router
768k Upload you just cant get that speed anywhere else for $50 bucks
1.5m Download
Alot of people on the reviews here that went with Cyberonic
live like 12,000ft from the co and are getting speeds of 1200/650 so im gonna be pretty stoked being 5,000 ft away.

avenged1

join:2002-09-15
Taylors, SC
reply to ninersfan

I switched over to Bell South DSL 2days after I found out Directv DSL went out of business. Bell South and charter cable are the only two broadband choices left in my area. No way am I going back to cable.

Bell South for me.

garystevens4

join:2002-06-26
Boston, MA
reply to ninersfan

When I was looking for an ISP about 6 months ago, I looked at many of above companies (not all). I decided to go with Cyberonic »www.cyberonic.com. They had the best deal all around I pay $49.99/mo for a month to month contract, service is 1.5m/768k speed, comes with static IP, is NOT PPPOE, and the service so far has been great with no down time. Other good options for 1.5m/768k ADSL service are Britsys and DSLi.

Good luck

-gary

jonescod

join:2001-02-14
Commerce Township, MI
reply to ninersfan

Cyberonic Rocks

I'm going with Cyberonics.

ninersfan

Castro Valley, CA
reply to cheerioboy26

3500 Axed from Verizon?

said by cheerioboy26:
I'll probably just go to my ILEC Verizon.....if I can....
Obviously this doesn't mean Verizon is in the same boat as DTV since they have their own monopoly, but it might not bode well for new service:

»rc.newsday.com/business/ny-biz-v···eadlines

»3500 axed from Verizon?
--

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
reply to ninersfan

Re: [Poll] Where is everybody going now?

It's really looking like cable for me.

-- Rob

Opio

join:2001-09-08
Millbrae, CA
reply to ninersfan

I'm interested in Cyberonics, though since my mother works for Covad, she really wants me to get Covad. I wonder if Cyberonics will be waiving that setup fee or something. Their website isn't helpful at all.

DSLTech5

join:2000-12-30
San Jose, CA
reply to ninersfan

I already have had ATT cable for a year now almost. Been pretty good with great DL/UPload speeds (175KB/25KB).

Newsgroup service is quite acceptable. No limits. Only 24hr articles tho( binaries ).

OttoPylot

join:2000-11-21
San Jose, CA
reply to ninersfan

I thought I had voted. They're a bit pricier than most but here in the South Bay our choices are limited. They always get good comments in ba.internet.

ninersfan

Castro Valley, CA
reply to Opio

Cyberonic is looking very interesting to me now too, been talking on the phone with both them and DSLExtreme (the latter of which seems to be somewhat deceptive the way they bury the charge for their modem on the order part of their webpage $99+tax less a $99 service credit sometime in the future.

So far, my preferred option looks like Cyberonic with SBC a possibility depending on the migration plans and Covad or DSL Extreme as lesser desirables right now...

Of course, nothing can be done until the line is released and Cyberonic says it should be two weeks after that so unless I hear something good about a seamless migration then I guess its time to dust off the old US Robotics Dialup modem and hope it still works ok (did a few months ago anyway).
--

Expand your moderator at work

imp$
Mxyzptlk
Premium
join:2002-04-05
imp@dslr.net
reply to ninersfan

Re: [Poll] Where is everybody going now?

Speakeasy...

Dairyland

@splitrock.net
reply to Opio

Cyberonics is available here in the Milwaukee Metro area. I just faxed in my order this morning. I believe they use Covad as the last mile provider here. It's likely the same in your area, so you could get Cyberonics and keep your mother happy too!

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
reply to ninersfan

I'm very likely to go to Raw Bandwidth Communications, which serves most of the Bay Area. They're not big, but I like giving my money to the little guys

»www.rawbandwidth.com/

tidal
Tidal
Premium
join:2001-01-18
Madison, AL
reply to ninersfan

snappydsl here

DSLnewbe

join:2002-12-13
Antioch, IL
reply to ninersfan

If I don't go with SBC-Yahoo, it's back to free dial-up
56K using duns and universal user/pass.

Random Nut
Premium
Mosh Pit
reply to ninersfan

All you going to Speakeasy just want the free game machine huh?

bmn
? ? ?
Premium,ExMod 2003-06
join:2001-03-15
hiatus

said by Random Nut:
All you going to Speakeasy just want the free game machine huh?
Not yeah, but HELL yeah. How can beat a FREE PS2 after losing your DSL provider?
--
root by day... raver by night...
fluorine.org : GPL != truly free software

Random Nut
Premium
Mosh Pit

Yeah you guys deserve early christmas presents,
just remeber you get slow dsl and pay more in the longrun.

Random Nut
Premium
Mosh Pit
reply to ninersfan

Im surprised someone hasnt mada a fake update website for Dtv.

CitYbYdBaY

join:2002-12-10
San Francisco, CA
reply to ninersfan

cyberonics looks pretty good i hope they run a special for dtv customers to waive the $99 activation fee...

cheerioboy26

join:2001-06-13
Lititz, PA
reply to ninersfan

Re: 3500 Axed from Verizon?

said by ninersfan:
Obviously this doesn't mean Verizon is in the same boat as DTV since they have their own monopoly, but it might not bode well for new service:

»rc.newsday.com/business/ny-biz-v···eadlines

»3500 axed from Verizon?

Well, since I'm using a Verizon line anyway, it may be my best path to as limited downtime as possible, which is of primary concern to me. The price and speed will be the same. BellSouth cut about 11K (I think) jobs recently as well.....FWIW.