All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
xv920
join:2002-08-27
San Jose, CA

xv920

Anybody home at Cyberonic?

I'm thinking about switching to Cyberonic.
The 768K upstream speed is almost too good to be true.

I sent them an email inquiry about it two days ago.
So far none has replied. Are they already too busy to
respond, dealing with the flood of DTV refugees?

Their web site doesn't look good either.
I mean, it looks very poor for a DSL provider. It looks
more like a hoax if you browse it without reading all
the good reviews here at DSLreports beforehand.
No member-only pages, no DSL-related info on FAQs.

One review here says that they handle matters in low-tech,
telephone and fax are their primary tool. No wonder why
you don't get email replies?

All this doesn't sound like they are cutting-edge, top-
notch, ranked-number-one-by-JDPower&Associates kinda
company.

Not to mention their backbone is WorldCom.

How are they doing really? Are they really worth any
consideration?

ITGuy72
Permanently Disco
Premium Member
join:2001-11-01
New York

ITGuy72

Premium Member

My understanding is they are a smallish "bread and butter" provider, no frills. They will give you an excellent connection if you qualify, but they aint gonna hold your hand and give you pretty member web pages to make you feel warm and fuzzy. Call them up to get an answer.
flashrom
join:2002-12-17
Houston, TX

flashrom to xv920

to xv920
i agree, their web page sucks, and I emailed them to suggest that they do what Speakeasy did and have a link specifically for ex- Directv people and suggested they waive the $99 initiation fee since they could get so many new customers.
mrfantastico
join:2002-11-13
Chicago, IL

mrfantastico to xv920

to xv920
I have Cyberonic, and they REALLY ARE THAT GOOD! They are pretty much bare bones speed, with no marketing, directions, things like that. If you are not technically literate I might hesitate to recommend them, but then again most peeps at this site know what's up. I have enjoyed my mid 1300 down high 600 up speeds for over a month now, with no problems yet. This is my third provider for broadband at home, (earthlink in 2000 and ATT@home/ATTBI 2001) and I have never had it so good with such little hassle.

ninersfan
join:2001-02-09
Hayward, CA

ninersfan to xv920

to xv920
Why don't you call them? That's what I did and got the information right away...very professional if I do say so.

Email sometimes doesn't get to the head of the line the same way a phone call does.

(888) 929-2372

I talked to Joe (don't think he would mind me giving his name here), I also hear Tom is a very good rep there too.

Opio
join:2001-09-08
Millbrae, CA

Opio

Ninersfan, are you going with Cyberonics? I live in the same area as you and I was also interested in them. I just wish they would waive that $99 fee.

Mizex
WTF?
Premium Member
join:2002-03-11
Miami, FL

Mizex to xv920

Premium Member

to xv920
When I called Cyberonic all I could get was 786/384 due to distance so I just went with DSLi SDSL instead 784/784

ninersfan
Hayward, CA

ninersfan to Opio

to Opio
said by Opio:
Ninersfan, are you going with Cyberonics? I live in the same area as you and I was also interested in them. I just wish they would waive that $99 fee.
Right now I think I am going with cyberonic (just have to get the line released first is all). btw, I don't think they are going to waive the $99 fee, it's probably part of the incentive in their alternative offer where if you prepay 18 months then you don't have that charge and a lower monthly.

I'm kind of hanging on right now and probably going to try to initiate a disconnect from DTV if there is any better plan within the next week (to be completed ideally before the end of the year).

Some other companies have offers set to expire on 12/31/02 so I think it's important to at least have your order in with whatever provider you are going to choose on or before this date so you have the best options still anyway.
said by Mizex:
When I called Cyberonic all I could get was 786/384 due to distance so I just went with DSLi SDSL instead 784/784
There must be something wrong with your line then because I've been offerred 1500/784 with both DSLi and cyberonic both!
flagencom
join:2001-12-28
San Francisco, CA

flagencom to xv920

to xv920

I LIVE IN SF TOO

Hey niners, and Opio, i live in SF too, and i'm very interested in Cyberonics, but i don't want to pay $90 activation fee. Any ideas? Their upload speed is also sounds too good to be true, but looks like few peeps here really getting it.

Mizex
WTF?
Premium Member
join:2002-03-11
Miami, FL

Mizex to xv920

Premium Member

to xv920

Re: Anybody home at Cyberonic?

Don't I think I'm just pretty far from the CO.

ninersfan
Hayward, CA

ninersfan to flagencom

to flagencom

Re: I LIVE IN SF TOO

said by flagencom:
Their upload speed is also sounds too good to be true, but looks like few peeps here really getting it.
Thats not true, they have offerred me their 1500/768 plan @ 49.99/mo. The $99 fee, well I would prefer not to have to pay that but you get what you pay for and if they stay in business I will be loving that upload speed

It actually helps your download speed a lot too, many peeps don't realise that upload affects how long it takes to load pages (especially if you are doing other things at the same time).

But as to others getting it, just check here: »[Poll] Where is everybody going now? and see the poll results. Cyberonic looks like the most popular or the same as Speakeasy which is more expensive, 18 month contract but offering a free game console if your into that (I'm not).
flagencom
San Francisco, CA

flagencom to xv920

to xv920

SF...

I checked out speakeasy, and for 1500/768 they'r charging $100/month! That's rediculous since Cyberonic offers same speed for 49/month. If Cyberonic will give me 768 upload speed i'll be happy.
Right now i'm not sure what should i do, DTV probably already charged us for december, so mabe i should use time i already paid for. But i'm really in to ordering Cyberonic ASAP .
[text was edited by author 2002-12-18 14:57:10]
flagencom

flagencom to xv920

to xv920

By the way, i'm 7600ft from CO, i live in Richmond neighborhood, what about you?

ninersfan
Hayward, CA

ninersfan to flagencom

to flagencom

Re: SF...

said by flagencom:
By the way, i'm 7600ft from CO, i live in Richmond neighborhood, what about you?
Your closer than me
I'm here in downtown area (a few blocks out from Union Square) and according too the DSLi qualification I'm:
Distance (Loop Length): 9258 feet (1.75 miles) -- 2811 meters (2.81 kilometers)
RMSC Airport Code: SFO/SAN FRANCISCO
Service Determined

Line sharing: Available
Central Office (CO): SNFCCA12
Maximum available speed: 1536x768
(cyberonic should be the same, just they didn't give me this info)

Also, I suggest this may be more accurate as this website reports I'm about 9600 feet from the CO...in any case I get 1310/100 now with DTV (which are about as good of speeds as one can expect with this service).
flagencom
San Francisco, CA

flagencom to xv920

to xv920

Yeah... i'm getting same speed, but after i installed router and hooked up laptop, my speed dropped to 1200/80 even though lap top is turned off. But oh well. I'll sign up for Cyberonic in next few days.

Mr Tidas
@unc.edu

Mr Tidas to xv920

Anon

to xv920
I have Cyberonic's UUNet 1.5/768 DSL service in Chapel Hill NC. It beats DirecTV DSL and RoadRunner -- no contest. Much faster, much more stable. Highly recommended. In my opinion, the $99 installation fee is worth it, since there's no obligation other than the monthly fee. (I hate long-term contracts.)

EvilKernel
Here's Johnny
join:2000-08-29
Miami, FL

EvilKernel to xv920

to xv920
I called them yesterday and had almost no hold time. The only problem is I didn't qualify which really sucks 'cause those speeds at that price are unbeatable...

HomeLvr
Premium Member
join:2002-01-01
Atlanta, GA

HomeLvr to xv920

Premium Member

to xv920
Directv Refugees do not sign up with Cyberonic please don't. Im working out a good deal for adsl 1.5mb/768k dsl. (Hint:maybe get the sign up fee lowered a lot or even waived)

ninersfan
Hayward, CA

ninersfan

said by HomeLvr:
Directv Refugees do not sign up with Cyberonic please don't. Im working out a good deal for adsl 1.5mb/768k dsl. (Hint:maybe get the sign up fee lowered a lot or even waived)
with cyberonic? A bunch of us are willing to go in group and it looks like we got the numbers

HomeLvr
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

HomeLvr to xv920

Premium Member

to xv920
Yes with cyberonic.
xv920
join:2002-08-27
San Jose, CA

xv920 to HomeLvr

to HomeLvr
What the hell are you anyway?

ninersfan
Hayward, CA

ninersfan to HomeLvr

to HomeLvr
said by HomeLvr:
Yes with cyberonic.
So do we need to have a collective group like the one Craig3281$ See Profile has been doing for "South Florida Subscribers"
or will this be offered on the webpage?

Personally, I'm gonna wait maybe a week myself (but would like to get this situation resolved before the end of the year).

I think that is pretty reasonable...

HomeLvr
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

HomeLvr to xv920

Premium Member

to xv920
"What the hell are you anyway?"

uhmm Im a human.

To the next post:

Yes we will need a group. This won't be offered on the weboage and I will only be looking for Directv DSL refugees.

AlexNYC
join:2001-06-02
Edwards, CO

AlexNYC to xv920

to xv920

Chapter 11 prospects.

Just beware Cyberonic is showing Rhythms, WorldCom and Network Access Solutions as their DCLEC's. They must be attracted to bankrupted companies.
Good Luck!

Alex
dellerdsler
The Other Side Of The Drum
join:2001-12-05
Berwyn, IL

dellerdsler to HomeLvr

to HomeLvr

Count me in the group...

HomeLvr
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

HomeLvr to xv920

Premium Member

to xv920
Ill probably make a thread tomorrow or friday.
dslfeld
join:2002-12-18
Palo Alto, CA

dslfeld

count me in if you get something worked out before the end of the week.
dellerdsler
The Other Side Of The Drum
join:2001-12-05
Berwyn, IL

dellerdsler to HomeLvr

to HomeLvr
Outstanding. Seeing that this is going to take an effort, we're going to need people who are currently looking for Cyberonic but are currently DTVDSL subscribers. I think it's worth my time because the $99 activation fee is keeping me from switching right now. It should be worth yours...

ninersfan
Hayward, CA

ninersfan to HomeLvr

to HomeLvr
said by HomeLvr:
Ill probably make a thread tomorrow or friday.
Cool, count me in here too. Instant message me if you need any information or I'll catch your thread (assuming we're all still up here with DTV in the meantime).
sh0ckie
join:2002-07-10
Bronx, NY

sh0ckie to xv920

to xv920
I've also decided to go with Cyberonic. Keep us informed.

/me hopes the switchover will be painless