spc
Search similar:

uniqs
gelbelt
join:2002-03-06
Atlanta, GA

gelbelt

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000

Has anyone here used the Scientific Atlanta Explorer Digital Set-Top Box / PVR? Time Warner is offering one locally for an extra $5/month, so I'm going to trade in my current box for one of these. They're supposed to have two tuners, two MPEG encoders, and an 80 GB hard drive. Recording time is 50 hours. Plus, since is uses the same programming guide as my digital cable, there's no need for a phone line.

Adam
BangBang
join:2000-07-05
North Bergen, NJ

BangBang

2 tuners? Gee. We can get double the crashes for only an extra $5/mo

tc27407
Premium Member
join:2001-04-28
Greensboro, NC

tc27407 to gelbelt

Premium Member

to gelbelt
I have one that I've had for about 2 months now and love it. Here is a link for the data sheets if you would like some detailed infomation about it.

»www.sciatl.com/customers ··· PVR2.htm

Tim
amiga2091
join:2003-01-24
San Antonio, TX

amiga2091 to gelbelt

to gelbelt
They are awesome! I gort one a week ago and just the fact that it records two prgrams at once is cool! THe firewire ports on it do not work yet though. I didn't try the USB port. Hope this helps some.

miggy

NotGood
@rr.com

NotGood

Anon

I'm on my second SAE 8000, and all I can say is these things are garbage. This evening I got a disc error when I went to my recorded list and 2 weeks of programming was erased. The first box I had would stop recording shows in the middle, or would refuse to record them entirely. It appears that Time Warner is using us a beta testers, yet making us pay monthly for the service. I am canceling the service tomorrow and going back to the old reliable VCR...

Razbones
@rr.com

Razbones to gelbelt

Anon

to gelbelt
Got an 8000, and really enjoy it. Is there anyway to hook it up to a home network, though? Are those firewire/1394 ports for anything?
luongo0
join:2003-02-19
Portland, ME

luongo0

I spoke with some reps about these extra ports. They have no installed electronics and are only there to make the box "ready" for these functions when they are available.

luongo
CaptSternn
Sternn Heavy Industries
join:2002-05-24
Overland Park, KS

CaptSternn

Everest Connections also has the 8000. From what I've heard, you can't get the local channels through it because it will crash the box. I think it's a firmware issue. Other than that, I haven't heard of any other problems from customers.

KevinG79
@rr.com

KevinG79 to gelbelt

Anon

to gelbelt
Does anyone know if you can hook this thing into your PC (I notice it has a USB and ethernet port) so you can directly transfer the stuff it records to it's Hard drive to your computer?

Like lets say I record a show on the 8000 DVR unit and I just want to copy that video (assuming it just saves what you record as MPEGS) to my PC? If it supports that I'd be really happy!

Kevin
TheRealFixer
join:2003-02-22
Memphis, TN

TheRealFixer

I've got this box... and it's crashed twice already just this morning. I've only had it for 3 days, but so far I am very unimpressed. Extremely slow, switching between different channel types (plain cable channels 1-60 and digital channels) often causes the system to lock up for a long period of time. And VERY often certain channels just won't lock in for a VERY long time. Sometimes 5 minutes or more.

The PVR functionality is nice (when it works. I've had it spontaniously "forget" to record something already), but this model is pure crap. I hope they are going to replace them with something else.
AVCXpert
join:2003-02-18
Overland Park, KS

AVCXpert to gelbelt

to gelbelt
Everest has this same box, and I love it! It works great, and I could never ask for an easier user interface! Best product on the market today.
AVCXpert

AVCXpert to KevinG79

to KevinG79
Hey Kevin!
In regards to your question about the SA-8000, I'm not sure what format it stores its video but it does have a USB port and 2 firewire ports. I personally just shoot any video out to a DVD burner, I didnt just say that did I?

-Bryan

KevinG79
@rr.com

KevinG79

Anon

Well, the USB port is a dud. I just tried hooking up a USB A/A cable from the SA8000 to my PC and nothing happens. Doesnt find new hardware or anything. I guess it's true that the ports are just there for looks. That totally sucks.

What I WANT to do is take all the stuff I record to the SA8000 and transfer it to my PC so I can then burn DVDs. Right now I have to do it analog by video capturing each video to my vidcap card. Would save a lot of time if I could just take the video from its hard drive and "shoot" it over to my PC... sigh... oh well. Life is never easy.
AVCXpert
join:2003-02-18
Overland Park, KS

AVCXpert

Kevin,
contat Scientific Atlanta, depending on what area you are in and what system you are on the software for the usb ports may not be installed. They can probably help with that issue. Let me know how it turns out
bigjeffb
join:2003-03-03
Oneida, NY

bigjeffb to gelbelt

to gelbelt
I have owned the replay dvr and dish network dvr. Replay was best, dish second. I just got the 8000 cause of an unreal deal from time warner. $56/mo for full digital cable with all premium channels including an SA Explorer 8000. I was leary cause time warner has been fighting DVRs all along. Well it was too good to be true. The 8000 can't just list all upcoming movies like the other ones do. The menus are really screwy. There is no 30 second jump ahead feature. All of these things force you to watch alot more network tv and alot less premium channel movies. Just what time warner wants. I HATE IT. IT SUCKS COMPARED TO THE COMPETITION!!!!!!!!!!!
ezyoneAZ
join:2003-03-10
Herndon, VA

ezyoneAZ to gelbelt

to gelbelt
I have this box in my home now and have to say that it is a very impressive machine. Some things to note that differentiate from the competition:

1. Dual Tuner Rocks - Picture in Picture even without a PIP TV. Very simple to use

2. Cable in Interactive Program Guide: No more phone line being run to the box to get the program guide to work

3. 32 Times Fast Forward = 2 minutes of commercials gone in 5 seconds...

USB Port is only for keyboard or input device if the box is also used as an Internet portal... it may be used also if companies go with an Interactive Cable solution

The back of the box has Firewire ports... currently disabled but is flash upgradeable and this should create an opportunity to do video downloads to PC or an external hard drive.

I prefer this to TIVO... and I think the last writer doesnt understand the Interactive Program Guide because I have the option to search any programming in a variety ways... go into the "Guide" and then choose your "browse by" options. I actually think this is more versatile if you know what you are looking for...

Konaguy
Live From Hawaii
Premium Member
join:2000-10-21
Kailua Kona, HI
·Hawaiian Telcom

Konaguy to AVCXpert

Premium Member

to AVCXpert
said by AVCXpert:
Hey Kevin!
In regards to your question about the SA-8000, I'm not sure what format it stores its video but it does have a USB port and 2 firewire ports. I personally just shoot any video out to a DVD burner, I didnt just say that did I?

Which port did you connect it to ? Firewire or USB
to be able to send video from the SA 8000 to your computer ?

Catch228
@167.216.x.x

Catch228

Anon

I currently have a TiVo but was looking to try the Scientific Atlanta DVR for the two tuners and the ability to record two channels at once.

For those who have this DVR, can you watch a program from the beginning while the recorder is still recording the end of the program? Also, the TiVo has what they call a season pass which allows you to select a show and have the TiVo record all future episodes. Can the 8000 do that as well.

Thanks,
Jeff

MarkJaquith
@bellsouth.net

MarkJaquith

Anon

You indeed can watch the beginning of the show while it's recording the end. A good thing to do is to start recording, or to automatically have it start recording at the beginning of the show, and tune in 8 minutes late for a 30 minute program and 16 minutes late for a 60 minute program. That way you can fast forward through all the commercials.

This hardware isn't polished. It is slow, and quirky. But for the most part, it's done what it's advertised. There are just a few caveats: If you schedule two shows to be recorded at the same time, you need to be on one of those two channels when the second starts recording. It'll automatically record one scheduled show in the background if you are on another channel, but if you are already recording one, and you are viewing another, and you want to record yet another, you would need 3 tuners. Unfortunately, I have found that it doesn't zoom you over to one of the two channels scheduled for recording.

Season pass: poorly implemented. You can only schedule all episodes that can presently be seen by the guide. So, 7 days ahead. Don't expect to be able to go on a 3 week vacation and have it record all your shows.

Timing: The clock is set by the network, but I find that not all TV networks are synced. When you record, you should probably manually give it 2 minutes of buffer before, and possibly a minute of buffer before. After isn't so important, because most shows have credits, or break for commercials, and then come back with the credits. But a lot of shows start right at 00:00, so if your recorder turns on at 00:30, you've missed 30 seconds that won't be recorded. The dual tuner is nice for this. Tuesday nights on Fox at 9pm is 24... at 10pm is The Shield on FX, and at 11pm (on my local Fox affiliate) is The Simpsons. I like to record all of them, so I record from 8:59 to 10:01 on Fox, 9:59 to 11:01 on FX, and 10:59 to 11:31 on Fox. There are overlaps, but show 1 is recorded by tuner 1, show 2 by tuner 2, and show 3 by tuner 1. As long as you don't have a triple overlap, you should be fine.j

Catch228
@167.216.x.x

Catch228

Anon

Thanks for the info. I have finally gotten a unit myself. Hopefully some of the convenience issues can be addressed with firmware upgrades. The dual tunners is great. I love the flexibility. The way programs that have been recored are listed is also very good. I like the interface.

Video quality on fast motion is not as good as the TiVo though. Also, the TiVo will back up a bit automatically after a fast forward. This is nice since you almost always fast forward partially into the program.

While the unit is recording, how do you automatically view the beginning without having to rewind manually?

Thanks,
Jeff

NYCCABLE
@acml.com

NYCCABLE

Anon

Does anyone know when Time Warner plans on offering the DVR service in New York City?
dukie1993
join:2003-04-16
Fairfax, VA

dukie1993 to MarkJaquith

to MarkJaquith
Does anyone know how to record something just once per week? The two options I have w/ my SA8000Exp are "record once" and "record always" this leaves me with either setting up recording of, say, South Park, every week to get the 10:00pm Wednesday show, or around 7 episodes recorded w/ 9:30pm shows and 12:00am shows recorded too.

Thanks,
Dukie1993
dukie1993

dukie1993

This is my message to Cox and the response I received:

Dear Mr. Hancock:

Thank you for contacting our Cox Northern Virginia Online Customer Care
Team.

Unfortunately, that is one limitation of the DVR service. If you select the 'record always' option it will tape ever occurrence of the desired show. Please be assured, we are aware of this issue and will hopefully have an upgrade available soon to correct this problem.

If you need additional information on other Cox products or services, please visit our web site at »www.cox.com/fairfax.
We hope that we have been able to provide you with the information you requested. If we have not, or if we can be of any additional service to you, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

My name is Kris
Thank you for choosing Cox Communications!

Sincerely,
The Cox Northern Virginia Online Customer Care Team

Original Message Follows:
-------------------------

Form Message
subject: Technical Support
detail: Cox Cable
UserID: dukie1993
Comments: Is it possible to record something just once per week with the new DVR? The two options I have w/ my SA 8000 Explorer are "record once" and "record always" this leaves me with either setting up recording of, say, South Park, every week to get the 10:00pm Wednesday show, or around
7 episodes recorded w/ 9:30pm shows and 12:00am shows recorded too.
submit: Submit Questions

MacGyvr
@rr.com

MacGyvr

Anon

Just got this box today, and I can pick any combination of days I want the recording to take place. You must have old software.
scorpiox
join:2002-05-05
Bristol, CT

scorpiox to KevinG79

to KevinG79

I believe that is illegal copying there sir. People like you are reason the RIAA and Hollywood are spending millions to take away our freedom of home recording and copying.
BangBang
join:2000-07-05
North Bergen, NJ

BangBang

Thats crap. Some people may want to burn their shows to cd. Not everyone owns a VCR anymore

Raul Roman
@cox.net

Raul Roman to TheRealFixer

Anon

to TheRealFixer
I got one on Friday(4/25/03) and have the following observations.
It is slow compared to my old digital cable box.
It is prone to crash for no good reason (3 time so far)
The interface is very nice and if it was faster and more reliable I would have to give it two thumbs up. But since it keeps crashing and it sometimes won't come back up for 10 or 15 minutes this thing is going back to COX.

Konaguy
Live From Hawaii
Premium Member
Kailua Kona, HI
·Hawaiian Telcom

Konaguy to scorpiox

Premium Member

to scorpiox
said by scorpiox:

I believe that is illegal copying there sir. People like you are reason the RIAA and Hollywood are spending millions to take away our freedom of home recording and copying.
I have spoken to my cable company (Oceanic Time Warner Cable) and hooking up their DVR unit to your computer
is not illegal. As far as I can see its just like making
a recording on your VCR except your putting it on VCD/DVD.

Tell me the specific law that makes this illegal.

MacGyvr
@rr.com

MacGyvr

Anon

No one has yet answered the question of HOW you are connecting the box to a computer, other than just running the video into it.

Konaguy
Live From Hawaii
Premium Member
Kailua Kona, HI

Konaguy

Premium Member

There are video capture cards you can buy for your computer
as far as I understand. You can connect the A/V slots
to the video capture card on your computer and bingo
thats how you do it.