All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Gupone
join:2002-12-28
Pflugerville, TX

Gupone

[Servers] Recommend a Hardware Multi NAT Router?

Can someone recommend a good low cost hardware router that will handle multiple Static IP addresses. I have a linksys router that I am using now, but it will only route one static IP address. I have a server set up to host 3 different web sites and a email server for each. I posted a question about software firewalls but would rather go the hardware route if possible.

Any suggestions here?

Thanks,

Gup

DaSneaky1D
what's up
MVM
join:2001-03-29
The Lou

DaSneaky1D

MVM

Have you though about using virtual server for those sites? They can use the same IP address, but be routed to many different sites. As far as mail goes, what server are you using for that? You don't need a different server for each domain.
Gupone
Pflugerville, TX

Gupone

Well, I have thought about it. The only this is that my ISP gave me a package of 5 static IPs. That is the only packgage they have.. I was with DTV and they gave you one. But as everyone knows they have gone bye, bye....

I just hate to waste good IPs.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to Gupone

MVM

to Gupone
Do you really want everything behind a NAT router?

If this is a bridged connection why not use an Ethernet switch and connect the public servers in an unprotected DMZ. Then use an ordinary broadband router with one of the IPs to run devices behind NAT.
Gupone
Pflugerville, TX

Gupone

Ok, Maybe I am not explaining myself very well. Here is what I am wanting to do. I have 1(one) Windows 2000 advance server OS, Server(Box) set up. I am running IIS 5.0 I have set up 3 different web sites on it. with 3 different domain names. I have set up my DNS addresses with my domain register company who is letting me use their DNS severs to translate my Domain names into the Static IP addresses I will set up on my 1 server for each website. I need a router, switch or any type of hardware that will direct the static IP that are associated with my domain names to the specific website I have set up in IIS 5.0

Right now I am using the wireless Linksys Router that I will still use for my internal network and wireless systems. I have it set up with one of my 5 static IPs that I got from my ISP and have each one of my networked systems set up with a individual LAN IP address. If I wanted to put the server on this same network with the Linksys, I would have to give the server a LAN IP address and open the verious ports for that IP address. So when someone on the outside typed in www.mysite.com it would be directed to my static IP I put in the router settings and then the router would route it to my server LAN IP address I opened the port 80 on.

The problem is that this will only work for one website and not multiple. I want my server to be a stand alone server, and not on my local network. I just want to use it to host websites. I am needing something that would route the static IPs when some one types in www.mysite.com, www.yoursite.com, www.hissite.com or www.hersite.com I have the 5 IPs and would like to use them. I know I can use 1 Static IP under IIS 5.0 and set up virtual sites, but since I have the other IPs, why not use them...

This is the long and short of it.

Thanks again,

Gup

janderso1
Jim
MVM
join:2000-04-15
Saint Petersburg, FL

janderso1 to Gupone

MVM

to Gupone
A Zyxel P314 will do multi NAT and may do what you need. Are your Ips true static or PPPOE?
Gupone
Pflugerville, TX

Gupone

They are the real deal. 100% static...

DaSneaky1D
what's up
MVM
The Lou

DaSneaky1D to Gupone

MVM

to Gupone
We all know what you are talking about. I have 5 static IP from SBC also. I only use 1 address for everything. Just because you have 5, doesn't mean you need to use 5. Remember, if your server is in a DMZ with no type of firewall, then anyone can take over your server with the greatest of ease...if you go that route.

Like I said in my previous post, you can add multiple web site domains to 1 address. It is called virtual hosting. You can do that with IIS and Apache. It will save the trouble and cost of buying a broadband router that will route multiple IPs. If you would like help configuring it, I'd be more than happy to offer assistance.
Gupone
Pflugerville, TX

Gupone

Thanks for the info... I think for right now I will go with the virtual site set up... So if you have the time, and would like to give me some detailed info on how you have yours set up, that would be great. I think I know a little about it, but would like the help of someone who has already done it..

Thanks,

Gup

PS, you asked what mail server program I am using.. I am using a program called MailEnable.. It is a free program, and so far is easy to use. I am not sure It will set up multiple domains.. the website is www.mailenable.com if you want to check it out..

[text was edited by author 2003-01-05 19:27:53]

DaSneaky1D
what's up
MVM
The Lou

DaSneaky1D

MVM

Funny you mention Mail Enable, I just started using it this evening! I moved from Mercury mail server to it. Oh yes, it can do multiple domains! As a matter of fact, it does so with great ability.

As far as web servers go, I use Apache for my hosting. I'm not too sure how to do it with IIS. If you pop your head over to the Web Design forum here, then there will be plenty of people there to help you out with IIS.