corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

[request] Review under Name

First when you click on Rogers Hi-Speed it takes you to "No Name Stored"

Also what if somebody no longer uses that ISP. How can they get rid of that?

Logan 5
What a long strange trip its been
Premium Member
join:2001-05-25
San Francisco, CA

1 recommendation

Logan 5

Premium Member

Re: Review under Name

I second the above poster's thoughts. IMHO I think this an absolutely horrid idea, and should be removed ASAP. I like the privacy features this site is renowned for, and for Justin to put up something that shouts; " THIS IS MY ISP, FIND A WAY TO SPAM OR HACK ME!! " is simply not acceptable.

nil

join:2000-11-27

nil

Knowing your ISP doesn't make it any easier for someone to spam or hack you.. they would need a lot more information than that.

.. and it's probably still a work in progress so give it at least 15 more seconds before reporting bugs.

mjf
MVM,
join:2000-08-05
New Orleans, LA
ARRIS NVG510

mjf to corster

MVM,

to corster
said by corster:

And I am tagged with a defunct ISP DirecTVDSL.

So it is not accurate.

I need a way to delete my review, so I can write a new one for my new ISP.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

I don't care if they know my ISP, I just want to be able to delete our review
Or make it like the journals where If you make a new one it replaces the old one

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin

Mod

said by corster:
I don't care if they know my ISP, I just want to be able to delete our review
Or make it like the journals where If you make a new one it replaces the old one
If you make a new review, it has precedence over the old one as far as your tag is concerned. Old reviews are still valid.

edit: and the links to the reviews will start to work shortly... yes I know they do not work now.
[text was edited by author 2003-01-13 21:55:39]

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South

skj to corster

Mod

to corster
said by corster:

How come it doesn't bring you to that person's review and you get "No Name Stored"?

Edit: Never mind Justin just answered it while I was posting.

[text was edited by author 2003-01-13 21:57:43]

Jaime
Premium Member
join:2001-06-03
Huntington Beach, CA

Jaime to corster

Premium Member

to corster

Thanks

Asked for this feature a while back, good to see its implemented now .
Deacon
Clever Saying Goes Here
MVM
join:2001-12-13
DFW

Deacon to corster

MVM

to corster

I asked over in Site Help as well, but does anyone know how to attach a review to an ISP that was not listed on the site when I did the review?

mjf
MVM,
New Orleans, LA

mjf to justin

MVM,

to justin
Clicked on my tag and it brought me to a new review page. Just did a new review of my new ISP.

Pretty good of you - always one step ahead aren't you?

turnball
Premium Member
join:2002-01-16
Saint Paul, MN

turnball to corster

Premium Member

to corster
So when I click write a review it says you already have a review, try to update it. But I can't change my ISP. I confused!

slash
MVM
join:2001-03-01
Boston

slash to corster

MVM

to corster
I requested something along similar lines a while back and I'm glad to see it. Great work Justin for continually working to make the site a better place.

Logan 5
Premium Member
San Francisco, CA

Logan 5 to Jaime

Premium Member

to Jaime

Re: Thanks

said by Jaime:
Asked for this feature a while back, good to see its implemented now .
AHHHHHHHAHHHHAAA So the Skrote did it.......... It's his fault, he's to blame.........:)

No offense Skrote, but I STILL think it's a horrid idea, but at least your thinking of ways to make the site better and that's ultimately what counts......

Garbs
Mudhole? Slimy? My home this is.
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Garden State

Garbs to corster

Premium Member

to corster

I like it too Justin. I worked very hard on my review because I wanted to give some good feedback on MY experiences. Hopefully, it can help someone.

Nice job.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

1 recommendation

justin to turnball

Mod

to turnball
said by turnball:
So when I click write a review it says you already have a review, try to update it. But I can't change my ISP. I confused!

Find the ISP first, then click into their listing, then click into user reviews, then click into 'write a review'.

slash
MVM
join:2001-03-01
Boston

slash

MVM

From what I can tell there is a limit of 5 reviews (I'm easily dissatisfied with ISP's). I'm on my 5th review and I don't have any plans to switch since I've finally found a good one but I clicked the new review link for kicks and it gave me a similar message.

To see how many review you have on file, see this page: » ··· dslr?t=r

turnball
Premium Member
Saint Paul, MN

turnball to justin

Premium Member

to justin
said by justin:
said by turnball:

Find the ISP first, then click into their listing, then click into user reviews, then click into 'write a review'.
Done. I assume it takes a half day or so for the change to take?

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

A day, or, if you go to your forum-preferences, where you have your zip code etc, and re-save them without changing anything, it will appear much faster, 20 minutes or so.

BA
MVM
join:2001-05-24
Vancouver, BC

BA to Logan 5

MVM

to Logan 5
said by Logan 5:
I second the above poster's thoughts. IMHO I think this an absolutely horrid idea, and should be removed ASAP. I like the privacy features this site is renowned for, and for Justin to put up something that shouts; " THIS IS MY ISP, FIND A WAY TO SPAM OR HACK ME!! " is simply not acceptable.

I think the ISP tag under our username is a good idea. If you look at the about DSLreports.com page, you'll notice that this site was founded to help users get information on broadband availability. The tags help users living in the same area as you determine popular ISPs, allow them to read reviews, and are an easy way to for them investigate their ISP options.

turnball
Premium Member
Saint Paul, MN

turnball to justin

Premium Member

to justin
said by justin:
A day, or, if you go to your forum-preferences, where you have your zip code etc, and re-save them without changing anything, it will appear much faster, 20 minutes or so.
Thanks. Gave it a whirl!

Logan 5
Premium Member
San Francisco, CA

Logan 5 to justin

Premium Member

to justin
said by justin:
said by turnball:

Ok. here's the deal. The ISP tied to my username is not my home ISP rather it's my work ISP. I'd rather NOT have my kind of critical review of them(which IS identifiable if you work in my industry....short list of clients)so easily tied down to my name.....

Or in other words, how do I (or can I) make this enhancement disappear?

removed
Premium Member
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX

removed to justin

Premium Member

to justin
Would it be possible for the name to keep going? My ISP is cut off, and it looks pretty weird.

turnball
Premium Member
Saint Paul, MN

turnball to Logan 5

Premium Member

to Logan 5
said by Logan 5:
said by justin:
said by turnball:

Ok. here's the deal. The ISP tied to my username is not my home ISP rather it's my work ISP. I'd rather NOT have my kind of critical review of them(which IS identifiable if you work in my industry....short list of clients)so easily tied down to my name.....

Or in other words, how do I (or can I) make this enhancement disappear?
Write a new review of your home isp. It will over write it. Or you could just read this thread carefully.

Logan 5
Premium Member
San Francisco, CA

2 recommendations

Logan 5 to nil

Premium Member

to nil
said by nil:
Knowing your ISP doesn't make it any easier for someone to spam or hack you.. they would need a lot more information than that.
Actually Kasia, not entirely accurate. Ever received spam addressed to: Undisclosed Recipients at yourisp.mx1.mailserver name ?

It's pretty easy to spam an ISP's MX record if you know how.....

I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest here, just letting you know that it's easier to do than you think, and I don't necessairly want to make that task any easier for someone on the outside by having an ISP visible for the world to see......

Kirin
Premium Member
join:2001-07-14

Kirin to Logan 5

Premium Member

to Logan 5
I don't like it either. What's the point of linking to a specific user's ISP review? At least I'd like the ability to turn it off!

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin to Logan 5

Mod

to Logan 5
said by Logan 5:
It's pretty easy to spam an ISP's MX record if you know how.....
That has no connection to this site. Firstly, to spam an ISP you have to do a dictionary attack. I'm sure you are not logan5@winterlink .. nobody would go to that effort (spamming 10 million names) to hit one user (you), which is the only possible connection I can think (a vendetta) between adding ones ISP underneath ones name, and something negative happening to that person.

Logan 5
Premium Member
San Francisco, CA

Logan 5

Premium Member

Justin:

On the risk of hijacking this thread OT, is there ANY way to disable or turn this feature off for those of us who DO NOT want to use this??

Thanks in advance

mjf
MVM,
New Orleans, LA

mjf to justin

MVM,

to justin
My new review didn't take. It still shows my Telocity/DTV review.

I think I screwed up by not putting my zip code in.

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South

skj

Mod

However, it says: Review UPDATED: mjf on 2003-01-13 22:41.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin to mjf

Mod

to mjf
said by mjf:
My new review didn't take. It still shows my Telocity/DTV review.

I think I screwed up by not putting my zip code in.
it will take a while to flip to the new one.