spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ddietrich
join:2002-02-22
Longmont, CO

ddietrich

Anybody got a picture of a Load Coil ?

I have never seen a load coil and was wondering if any body had a picture of one. I know it doesn't fit the 1k/month idea but it is broadband related.

CJPC
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Charlestown, MA

CJPC

Premium Member

Umm...Those are inside the plant...so i dont know if someone will...but hopefully someone will come out with one!

Oxygen
Times Square can't shine as bright
Premium Member
join:2001-12-04
Huntington Station, NY

Oxygen

Premium Member

said by CJPC:
Umm...Those are inside the plant...so i dont know if someone will...but hopefully someone will come out with one!

No they are not... They hang off the poles.

CJPC
Premium Member
Charlestown, MA

CJPC

Premium Member

Really...wow...a tech told me they were inside....i hate stupid techs!
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

Bobcat79 to Oxygen

Premium Member

to Oxygen
They're inside little, flat, rectangular metal boxes, aren't they?
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

drslash (banned) to ddietrich

to ddietrich
When I had a second phone line I believe I had a load coil inside my NID box.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to ddietrich

MVM

to ddietrich
Click for full size
How about a drawing instead of a picture? Load coils are not usually used individually. They are typically packaged in watertight containers and spliced into outside plant cable.

The most popular type of load coil, 88 mh, is used on circuits over 18,000 feet. They are spaced every 6,000 feet starting 3,000 feet from the CO. T1 repeater spacing was designed to use the same spacing.

Load coils flatten the attenuation curve over the 0-4 kHz voice range at the expense of tremendous attenuation above that range making them incompatible with DSL, ISDN and T1. Loading also slows down propagation speed – exacerbating echo problems on long lines. That used to be a problem on analog long distance circuits before digital.
Bobcat79
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04

Bobcat79

Premium Member

To add to the above post: When you have a pair of wires, like in a telephone line, there's a capacitance between the wires. Over long distances, this can affect the frequency response and cause distortion. The load coils counteract the capacitance, reducing distortion.

panth1
The Coyote
join:2000-12-11
Port Saint Lucie, FL

1 recommendation

panth1 to ddietrich

to ddietrich
Here is a site that I found on google:

»www.charlesindustries.co ··· opg.html
53059959 (banned)
Temp banned from BBR more then anyone
join:2002-10-02
PwnZone

53059959 (banned) to ddietrich

to ddietrich
whoa, thats a Load of...coil

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin to ddietrich

Mod

to ddietrich
Bah! when the old ways are good enough, who needs to rush to change anything anyway?

Ryan F
Take Back The Web
Premium Member
join:2002-10-18
Alexandria, VA

Ryan F

Premium Member

He's building customer satisfaction into the line? If he only knew just how many future dsl customers he was screwing over.

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis to justin

Mod

to justin
Heat coils are inside, load coils are outside. They aren't related in form or function.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin

Mod

said by Dennis:
Heat coils are inside, load coils are outside. They aren't related in form or function.
Who said anything about heat coils?

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis to CJPC

Mod

to CJPC
said by CJPC:
Really...wow...a tech told me they were inside....i hate stupid techs!
said by justin:
Who said anything about heat coils?
I assumed that the tech CJPC talked to got confused about them and thought they were talking about heat coils. So I figured that this information might help in the future if a tech says a load coil is inside......

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

ah ok, just you 'reply'd to me, not him hence my confusion.

CJPC
Premium Member
Charlestown, MA

CJPC

Premium Member

Theres more confusion!
said by CJPC:
i hate stupid techs!
Like i said!

The phone company doesnt seem to like me...ive called and filed a ton of complaints w/ the fcc and the BBB !

bsd9
join:2002-08-17
Pinckney, MI

bsd9 to ddietrich

to ddietrich

Click for full size
Here are pics..

-bsd

spg6
Grrrr
join:2001-10-31
NOT Texas!

spg6

But this is only part of the picture. These are pics of individual coils used for individual lines. The "typical load coil" is grouped with hundreds of others and found for the most part in manholes.

As mentioned earlier, starting at 3kft and at every 6kft after that, they're spliced into the cable. They're cut in in series, i.e., the wire comes into the splice, goes out a cable stub to a "load pot", through the load coil, out the load pot through the stub and back into the spice and out the cable. At each location, there is a waterproof splice closure. And for the most part, the wires inside the splice are all the same colors and have no individual color code identity. So, tone has to be sent, the correct pair entering the splice found, the same pair leaving the splice found, and the load coil cut out and the pair spliced back together. Sounds simple enough, but sometimes the cables are as large as 3600 pairs or more. So it gets a little tricky.

If I can find some, I'll try to post a pic. No flash in the holes, but perhaps a pole mounted one.
spg6

spg6

These are small load pots, the larger one for about 100 pair. They look similar in MHs, but usually are larger for for more pair. Sometimes they bury these too.

That's about all there is. You've seen the coils and the way they look in the field.

linetech7
join:2002-01-15

linetech7 to ddietrich

to ddietrich
I have seen load coils in what are called "load pots" both pole mounted and in utility vaults (manholes). Load Pots are usually hundreds of coils encased w/a cable tail. I'll upload a pic when I find some.
linetech7

linetech7 to ddietrich

to ddietrich
Click for full size
Click for full size
These are pole mounted and hold several thousand "load coils", These can also be found in manholes.

These are bad for HiCap-T1-ADSL ect...they must be reomved (de-loaded) from the copper pair before digital services can be used on the pair. There could be several "points" of load depending on how far the cable runs into the field.

There are in and out pairs in a load pot "tail"

CO-->Lode Splice-->Load Pot-->Load Splice-->Field

IncognitoOOL
join:2001-11-13
New York, NY

IncognitoOOL to ddietrich

to ddietrich
what happened to the one in the second pic? It looks very defunct. By the way, load coils probably screwed me over when I tried to get DSL a couple of years ago. D'oh! Eh, no big deal, I have cable now. woo hoo!

linetech7

linetech7

said by IncognitoOOL:
what happened to the one in the second pic? It looks very defunct. By the way, load coils probably screwed me over when I tried to get DSL a couple of years ago. D'oh! Eh, no big deal, I have cable now. woo hoo!

It looks like it was removed from a splice on a cable run but no one ever removed it from the pole. That's a lead sheath too. Lead is toxic. If ingested.

ADSL pairs or any digital pair has to be "de-loaded" or it will not work.

Oxygen
Times Square can't shine as bright
Premium Member
join:2001-12-04
Huntington Station, NY

Oxygen to ddietrich

Premium Member

to ddietrich
Click for full size
Spotted those while I was in Las Vegas... must represent BBR where ever I go!

IncognitoOOL
join:2001-11-13
New York, NY

IncognitoOOL

said by Oxygen:
crap, if those are what load coils look like, then we have them in at least 2 places that I can think of. Our phone line probably passes through them, and that would explain why I could never get DSL. They probably didn't feel like routing our line past the coils.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to Oxygen

MVM

to Oxygen
said by Oxygen:
I don't think those are load coils, more likely some sort of active electronics like a T1 repeater. The covers are removable – only reason for that is to perform maintenance.

panth1
The Coyote
join:2000-12-11
Port Saint Lucie, FL

panth1

Looks familiar..
»www.charlesindustries.co ··· 5300.pdf

linetech7

linetech7 to Oxygen

to Oxygen
Those ARE "T1" repeater cases. They have a removable cover, which is always kept padlocked. They are removable to change out cards and or add/remove cards. Some cases are even pressurized.

=]

mushmouth
join:2001-12-13
Earth

mushmouth to ddietrich

to ddietrich
We call em lobster pots or doublers here on long island.They are indeed signal boosters for hdsl,t1's an what not.You can't run dsl's and t circuits through a load coil it destroys the signal.Usually they aren't that low to ground.The other two look like fiber splices.