uniqs
share rss forum feed

zepolant
This Is Near....This Is Far Away
Premium
join:2002-12-05
Cypress, CA

IEEE 1394

I bought a MiniDV camcorder and I'm baffled as to what all the hoopla is about IEEE 1394? Can someone give me a little more insight...also will I be able to to hook up my Mini-DV to my computer to capture the photos and video using my standard USB ports or am I going to have to buy PCI card.....thanks for any help

Never mind answered my own question....
--
The rarest form of beauty is simplicity.....

[text was edited by author 2003-01-20 16:44:01]

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium
join:2001-04-07
Summerville, SC
kudos:1
You will need a firewire card for the speed. The camcorder files are huge and USB 1 speeds are going to take all day. I bought an Audigy sound card that has a built in firewire port. It works very well with my Sony MiniDV.

You also will need a cable. Try and mail order the cable, as the local retailers will hit you with a $35-$40 cable for something that can be had for $8.

zepolant
Premium
Cypress, CA
reply to zepolant
Thank you for that. I was all out PCI slots, but a soundcard/firewire card will work nicely. Time to get rid of that old sound card anyway! Thanks!
--

AR
Premium,ExMod 2001-04
join:2000-09-21
Toronto, ON
yes, I use the Audigy firewire port for capture and a $10 firewire 4-6pin cable from newegg.com.

I think you will find Pinnacle's Studio the easiest to work with.
--
What? Me worry?

Tom Native New Yorker
Premium
join:2001-12-12
Marietta, GA

1 recommendation

reply to zepolant
I have a sony digital camcorder and i bought the Pyro firewire pci kit. I believe I paid 79.99 at circuit city. and it includes the 6pin/4pin cable that is needed, two external and one internal firewire ports along with a whole mess of software.

Here are some links that may help you also about firewire and digital video in general.

»www.adstech.com/

»www.adstech.com/products/PYRO139···-1394PCI

»www.steves-digicams.com/

»www.steves-digicams.com/digvideo···firewire

»www.dvcentral.org/Firewire.html

»photographytips.com/

»www.cs.duke.edu/~parr/photography/faq.html

»www.divx-digest.com/index.html

»www.dvcentral.org/

»www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSH···Name=dcc

»www.apple.com/firewire/

»www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=I···eee+1394
--
America Attacked A 9/11 Tribute

zepolant
Premium
Cypress, CA
reply to zepolant
Thank you all. I bought a Samsung Digital camera (so I could tape our baby once she gets here!

I'm a little computer savy, but was not aware about the whole firewire 1394 thing going on, so when I bought the camera I bought 4-6pin cable for around $10 bucks, thinking I could just plug it into my USB port..

Sounds like I have something to buy and do this weekend. Also thank you for the links, I believe they will come in real handy!
--