England

John2g

Premium Member

W32.HLLW.Oror.C@mm

W32.HLLW.Oror.C@mm
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.hllw.oror.c@mm.html

Discovered on: January 22, 2003
Last Updated on: January 23, 2003 07:47:43 PM
32.HLLW.Oror.C@mm is a mass-mailing worm and a variant of W32.HLLW.Oror@mm. This worm attempts to spread using email, mIRC, KaZaA, network shares, and mapped drives. It also attempts to terminate and remove various security products from the infected computer.

This threat is written in the C++ language and is compressed with UPX. The uncompressed size is about 166 KB.

Also Known As: I-Worm.Roron.4997[KAV]
Variants: W32.HLLW.Oror@mm, W32.HLLW.Oror.B@mm
Type: Worm
Infection Length: 82,949 bytes
Systems Affected: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Me
Systems Not Affected: Windows 3.x, Macintosh, OS/2, UNIX, Linux

Wild:

Number of infections: 0 - 49
Number of sites: 0 - 2
Geographical distribution: Low
Threat containment: Moderate
Removal: Moderate
Threat Metrics

Wild:
Low
Damage:
High
Distribution:
High

Damage

Payload Trigger: Some file that the worm dropped and/or some registry value that the worm created have been removed.
Payload: Deletes all the files on the infected computer
Large scale e-mailing: Emails itself to all the email addresses from the incoming email message
Deletes files: Deletes various security products
Distribution

Subject of email: Various
Name of attachment: Various
Size of attachment: Various

When W32.HLLW.Oror.C@mm is executed, it does the following:

1. Displays one of the following message:

or:

or:

or

NOTE: is variable. This is the full path of the worm that has been executed.

2. Copies itself to the %Windir% folder and inserts some settings files in the %Windir% and %System% folders. All of these files have fixed file names and may have the Hidden file attribute. The settings files include:
%Windir%\Faith.ini
%Windir%\.vxd
%Windir%\.def
%System%\.sys

NOTES:
%Windir% is a variable. The worm locates the Windows installation folder (by default, this is C:\Windows or C:\Winnt) and copies the files to that location.
%System% is a variable. The worm locates the System folder and copies the files into that location. By default, this is C:\Windows\System (Windows 95/98/Me), C:\Winnt\System32 (Windows NT/2000), or C:\Windows\System32 (Windows XP).
The settings files are all text files. They are not viral by themselves, and therefore, Symantec security products do not detect them.

3. Adds the value:

powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme

to the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

so that the worm runs each time that you start Windows.

4. Updates the (Default) value of the registry key:

HKEY_CLASS_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command

to:

"%1" %*

This causes the worm to be executed every time you run the .exe file.

5. May update the (Default) value of the registry key:

HKEY_CLASS_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command

to:

regedit.exe "%1"

This causes the worm to be executed every time you execute a .reg file.

6. Inserts the %System%\Syshook.dll file.
7. Copies itself to one of the subfolders under C:\Program Files and adds a value, which refers to this copy, to the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

8. Copies itself to the %System% folder and inserts the following section in the Win.ini file:

[windows]
run=%system%\

so that the worm runs each time you start Windows 95/98/Me.

9. Watches on the registry key:

which it previously modified to make sure that the (Default) value continues to refer to the worm. If the default value changed, the worm will attempt to change it back to:

"%1" %*

10. Watches the %Windir% folder to make sure that the worm continues to exist in that folder. If the worm is deleted, it will attempt to copy itself back to this folder.
11. Closes all the windows whose title bar contains any of the following strings:
black
panda
shield
guard
scan
mcafee
nai_vs_stat
iomon
navap
avp
alarm
f-prot
secure
labs
antivir

12. Terminates the processes of and deletes the files whose file name contains any of the following strings:
panda
avp
kaspersky
fprot
f-prot
f-secure
antivir
conseal
lockdown
esafe
guard
mcafee
firewall
"zone" and "labs"
"pc" and "clillin"
"black" and "ice"
"norton" and "virus"

13. May attempt to delete all the files from the infected computer, if the worm determines that some of the files that it previously copied to the computer, or if the registry values it added, are missing.
14. Overwrites some mIRC script files to spread itself through the mIRC network, if mIRC.ini is found on the computer.
15. Searches the following folders on the mapped drives:
Windows
Win
Win95
Win98
Winme
Dir
16. If one of the folders described in step 15 is found, the worm attempts to copy itself to that particular folder, and then attempts to update the Win.ini file in the folder. The file name is constructed in the following manner:
It uses one of the following strings:
PcDudes
BritneyUltimate
Pamela 3D_
Britney Suxx
KamaSutra
LaFemmeNikita
Teen Sex Cam
Lolita
Pam Anderson Theme
Sexy Teens Desktop
SexSpy
Anal Explorer
VirtualRape
Hot Blondies
Strip Kournikova
Followed by one of these strings:
(sHow)
3D
(Eng)
v4.5
(Rated)
Followed by the .exe extension.
17. If the worm does not find one of the folders described in step 15, the worm attempts to copy itself to the root folder of all the mapped drives and create the Hidden file, Autorun.inf, in the root folder of each drive. This causes the worm to be executed every time anyone opens the infected folder.

NOTE: This worm will attempt to enlarge the file sizes of these copies, so the file sizes will vary.

18. Copies itself to all the network shared resources. The file name is constructed in the same way as previously described.
19. If KaZaA is installed on the infected computer, the worm adds the following values:

DisableSharing 0
Dir %windir%\profile

to the registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Kazaa\LocalContent

and copies itself to the %Windir%\Profile folder. The file name is constructed in the same way as previously described.

20. Sends itself to all the email addresses it finds in the incoming messages. The worm will ignore any email address that contains any of the following strings:
microsoft
msdn
mcafee
panda
norton
bullguard
kaspersky
safe
admin
master
support
daemon
list
subscribe
news
mailer
unsub

The email message may be random or fixed. This is described in the next section.

Email routine details
The email message may be random or fixed.

Random messages:

Sender: The sender will be one of the following strings:
dreamy
candy_f
bryan16
jerry
baby_17
neo
trish1
linda1
monica
nicole
angel_f
mellany
iguana17
blade
badgirl
wizzard
blue16
tweety
alice
jane17
badboy
rap_girl
CrazyGirl
happy
amanda
crazy
mickey
lady_f
alex15
sunny
dave
panda_f

and then followed by one of the these:

hotmail.com
yahoo.com
mail.com
yahoo.co.uk
usa.net
europe.com
aol.com

Subject: The subject will be one of the following strings:
HeY
ZzZz
Bla Bla
HoWie
Happy
Hi Again
Wow
Just A Letter
Hello
Hey Ya
Boom
Hi There
Zdrasti
Zdr Otnovo
Ohoo
Ei
Pisamce
TinKi WinKy
ZzZz
Bla Bla
Hey
Privet
Boom
HeY
ZzZz
Bla Bla
HoWie
Happy
Hi Again
Wow
Just A Letter
Hello
Hey Ya
Boom
Hi There

and then followed by one of these:
!!

)
P
~pPp
:>
!

Attachment: The attachment will be one of the following strings:
BoxDave_
PcDudes
Pamela3D_
KamaSutra
LaFemmeNikita
Gipsy
Fishfood
install_en_
Story017_
Inter012_
Actu002_
Chess
Angel3D_
BabyBlue
RedEyez
Iguana
mTV_Charts_

followed by one of these:
(sHow)
3D
(Eng)

and then followed by a .exe or .scr extension.

Fixed messages:

Message 1

Body:
Zdravei ) Da ne me zabravi veche Ko praish? Za teb neznam noo qko i reshih da ti pisha Kolko ti e rekorda na minichkite? Toku shto na Expert razminirah za 2 minuti )) Ei sq smqtam da si vzema nqkoi qk film i da gledam. Vremeto e super gadno obache taka si izbuhvam poslednite dni, che nqqm dumi ) Pratih ti iznenadka Kefi li te, men mnoo mi haresa ) Za drugo ne se seshtam tai che chao za sega ) I da pishesh P

Message 2

Subject: Blondinki

Attachment: Blondes.scr

Body:
Hey ) Kak q karash? Pomnish li me oshte ) Nadqvam se che da. Baq vreme ne sme sa chuvali.. Neshto novo ima li? Namerih edna mnoo qka programka i neznam zashto, no mi napomni za teb ) Kakvo pravi blondinka kato rodi bliznaci? - Chudi se koi e vtoriq tatko Kakva e razlikata mejdu 10 ovce i 3 blondinki? Otgovor: 7 Kak mojesh da razsmeesh blondinka v petak? - Kato i razkajesh vic vav vtornik Kefqt li ta vicovete? Shegichka de Razkazva vicove na 5 minuti ) Posmqh se za baq vreme napred PpP Haide bye za sega, i da pishesh )
Message 3

Sender: greetings@kefche.com

Subject: Preotkrii sebe si

Attachment: Faith.exe

Body:
Zdravei, ako si poluchil tova pismo znachi nqkoi priqtel ti go e pratil. Celta na pismoto e da ti pomogne da razberesh koi si vsushnost. Originalnata ideq e na Dalai Lama i tova e nein interaktiven variant. Predi da otvorite test-a si namislete edno jelanie, otgovorete na 5-te vuprosa i sled kato poluchite jelanite otgovori shte poluchite edno chislo. Za da vi se izpulni jelanieto trqbva da pratite tova pismo na tolkova priqteli. Testa se pravi samo vednuj, poneje sled tova nqma da poluchite obektivna ocenka. "Za da navlezem v sveta na drugite, purvo trqbva da budem nqsno sys sebe si" - Dalai Lama. P.S. Tozi test e samo za lichna upotreba, i ne biva da bude izpolzvan za kakvito i da bili komersialni celi.
Message 4

Sender: support@kefche.com

Subject: Kefche.com_

Body:
Ekiput na Kefche.com ima radostta da pozdravi vsichki fenove na Kefcheto s 1-ta godishnina ot puskaneto na site-a. Nie se prevurnahme v nai-dobriq i poseshtavan bg site za zabavleniq i igri. Ot samoto si nachalo Kefche.com ima za cel da vi nosi samo i edinstveno smqh i zabava, nadqvame se che sme postignali celite si ) Po sluchai godishninata, ekiput ni poe iniciativata da izprashta vsqka sedmica nai-dobrite flash-cheta i igrichki na vsichki user-i poseshtavashti Kefche-to. Nadqvame se da vi haresa i tova da bude samo nachaloto na edno novo zabavlenie )
-----------------
Kefche.com Team.
Message 5

Sender: greetings@reply.yahoo.com

Subject: sent you a Yahoo! Greeting_

Attachment: Yahoo!Winter.exe

Body:
Surprise! You've just received a Yahoo! Greeting from "" ()! This is an interactive greeting card and requires Flash Media Player. Enjoy! The Yahoo! Greetings Team.
--------------------------
Yahoo! Greetings is a free service. If you'd like to send someone a Yahoo! Greeting, you can do so at http://greetings.yahoo.com
Message 6

Attachment: Blondes.scr

Body:
Hey, what's up ) Where are you? Don't you chat any more? I haven't seen you so long. I sent you a surprise, read this )
- What do blondes wear behind their ears to attract men? Their ankles!!
- Why did god invent the female orgasm? So blondes know when to stop screwing!!
- What is a blond with hair black colored? Artificial intelligence!
Blondes forever!! Time off, i must go now, but i'll be very happy if you write to me soon Bye bye )
Message 7

Sender: greetings@e-cards.com

Subject: Explore your soul

Attachment: Faith.exe

Body:
Hello, if you are reading this letter, it means that a friend of yours has sent it to you. The idea is to help you realize who you are indeed. This is an interactive variant, based on the original tests of Dhalai Lama, a great indian philosopher. Before you open the test, you should make a wish. Answer to the 5 questions honestly, after that you will recieve a number. If you want your wish to come true you must send this letter to that count of your friends. You can make the test only once, because after that the results won't be real. "If you want to enter the other's world, you should explore your soul first" - Dhalai Lama.
P.S. This test is for personal use only, and should not be used with commercial purposes.
Message 8

Sender: support@miamigirls.com

Subject: MiamiGirls.com Free Subscription

Attachment: FreeTour.scr

Body:
On the occasion of it's 3th anniversary MiamiGirls.com wants to offer you even more pleasure than before. There are several new promotions and if you are interested you can watch the free demo and subsequently contact our web page. If you join now, the first month of your membership will be free. Thousands of hot teen pics and videos are available for you. Image Galleries, Cumshots, LiveCams, Hot Video Chat, Erotic Stories, XXX Lessons, Kama Sutra, celebrities.. We provide the best services for our members. This site contains adult material that is unsuitable for those under the age of 18.
------------------------
www.MiamiGirls.com
Message 9

Sender: support@games.yahoo.com

Subject: Yahoo! Games_

Attachment: Yahoo!Baseball.exe

Body:
Yahoo! Team is proud to present our new surprise for the clients of Yahoo! and Yahoo! Mail. We plan to send you the best Yahoo! Games weekly. This new service is free and it's a gift for the 10th anniversary of Yahoo!. We hope you would like it. The whole Yahoo! Team wants to express our gratitude to you, the people who helped us to improve Yahoo! so much, that it became the most popular worldwide portal. Thank You! We do our best to serve you.
------------------
Yahoo! Team.
www.Yahoo.com

Message 10

Sender: greetings@reply.yahoo.com

Subject: sent you a Yahoo! Greeting_

Attachment: Yahoo!Christmas.exe

Body:
Surprise! You've just received a Yahoo! Greeting from "" ()! This is an interactive greeting card and requires Flash Media Player. Enjoy! The Yahoo! Greetings Team.
--------------------------
Yahoo! Greetings is a free service. If you'd like to send someone a Yahoo! Greeting, you can do so at http:/ /greetings.yahoo.com

1. Re-install the Symantec antivirus product files, if the worm deleted them.
2. Update the virus definitions.
3. Run a full system scan, record the file names, and then delete all the files detected as W32.HLLW.Oror.C@mm.
4. Reverse the changes that the worm made to the registry.
5. Windows 95/98/Me only: Remove the text that the worm added to the Win.ini file.

For specific details on each of these procedures, read the following instructions.

1. Re-installing the antivirus software
Attempt to start your Symantec antivirus software, such as Norton AntiVirus.
If it starts as expected and appears to be working correctly, skip to step 2.
If it does not start, or if it does not function correctly, re-install it from the original installation CD or downloaded files.

2. Updating the virus definitions
Symantec Security Response fully tests all the virus definitions for quality assurance before they are posted to our servers. There are two ways to obtain the most recent virus definitions:
Running LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain the virus definitions: These virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers once each week (usually on Wednesdays), unless there is a major virus outbreak. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, refer to the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate), in the "Protection" section, at the top of this writeup.
Downloading the definitions using the Intelligent Updater: The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are posted on U.S. business days (Monday through Friday). You should download the definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site and manually install them. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, refer to the Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater), in the "Protection" section, at the top of this writeup.

The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are available here. For detailed instructions on how to download and install the Intelligent Updater virus definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site, click here.

3. Scanning for and deleting the infected files
a. Start your Symantec antivirus program and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files.
For Norton AntiVirus consumer products: Read the document, "How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files."
For Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise products: Read the document, "How to verify that a Symantec Corporate antivirus product is set to scan All Files."
b. Run a full system scan.
c. If any files are detected as infected with W32.HLLW.Oror.C@mm, write down the file names, and then click Delete.

4. Reversing the changes made to the registry

CAUTION: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before you make any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify the specified keys only. Read the document, "How to make a backup of the Windows registry," for instructions.

a. Click Start, and then click Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)
b. Type regedit, and then click OK. (The Registry Editor opens.)
c. Navigate to the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

d. In the right pane, delete all the values that refer to the worm.

e. Navigate to the key

HKEY_CLASS_ROOT\regfile\shell\open\command

f. In the right pane, change the (Default) value to:

regedit.exe "%1"

g. Navigate to the key

h. In the right pane, change the (Default) value to:

"%1" %*

i. Exit the Registry Editor.

5. Removing the text from the Windows 95/98/Me Win.ini file

Note for Windows Me users only: Due to the file-protection process in Windows Me, a backup copy of Win.ini exists in the C:\Windows\Recent folder. Symantec recommends that you delete this file before you continue with the steps in this section. To do this using Windows Explorer, go to C:\Windows\Recent, and in the right pane select the Win.ini file and delete it. The Win.ini file will be recreated in C:\Windows\Recent when you save your changes to Win.ini in C:\Windows.

a. Click Start, and then click Run.
b. Type the following, and then click OK.

edit c:\windows\win.ini

(The MS-DOS Editor opens.)

NOTE: If Windows is installed in a different location, make the appropriate path substitution.

c. In the [windows] section of the file, look for an entry similar to:

run=%system%\

d. If this line exists, select its entirety. Be sure that you do not select any other text, and then press Delete.
e. Click File, and then click Save.
f. Click File, and then click Exit.