Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

m0ss
old school

join:2000-09-23
Garden Grove, CA

Cyberonic DSL Question

I'm considering getting Cyberonic DSL and I was wondering what do the hostname / email addresses look like? It doesn't seem to be cyberonic.com or .net. Also, how is the reliability in the socal area?

Thanks.

crashnburn

join:2000-12-13
Bay Area
What give you the impression that it's not? It's yourname@cyberonic.com

vbp6us
Intel Overclocker

join:2002-10-16
San Diego, CA
quote:
Also, how is the reliability in the socal area?
Im in San Diego and its great. Just make sure your less than 13,000ft and you should get some good speeds. Im 7200ft from my CO and i get 1.299 download and 657 kb upload.

HeavyIron
Premium
join:2003-01-01
Orange, CA
I am 5800 feet from the CO and I ordered from Cyberonic on 12/31/02, received the Cisco 678 on 1/8/03, but an still without a DSL connection and it seems to be for a different reason each time I call and am able to get through.

KSUJace
Golden Flash

join:2001-12-01
Chicago, IL
The DNS of your connection will be worldcom.com

You can get an email address from Cyberonic which will be username@cyberonic.com

The DSL circuit and the Internet connection is all provided by WorldCom/UUNet. The stability is incredible. WC/UUNet is business choice of Internet connectivity for many/most fortune 500 companies and the US Government.
--
AIM | EMAIL

edamon

join:2001-05-18
Marina Del Rey, CA
reply to m0ss
I'm in los angeles.

worldcom's dsl (cyberonic) is really reliable, I've had
only one down period in the last 4 months.

cyberonic email servers are a different story. They timeout on a pretty regular basis. I only use them for smtp, my primary email is from a domain I've got hosted.

At 12,500 feet, I get 160KB/sec down and 80.5KB/sec up which is pretty healthy.

-d

IgorKane

@66.58.x.x
reply to m0ss
I am in Chicago, here it's been very good, as fast as it can get.

Question to all: My IP does not resolve to any domain name, just an IP. Of course, I would rather have it resolve to my name, but that is not an option. I am worried that without a resolution to a domain, my mail server will not work too well (because others will deny traffic).

Any ideas?

KSUJace
Golden Flash

Chicago, IL
I have brought this issue up with a manager at Cyberonic. There is nothing they can do right now on DNS resolution of our IP addresses. I was going to look for the WorldCom tech here on the DSLR to see if he can help, it appears everyone in Chicago is getting IP addresses with no DNS name.
--
AIM | EMAIL

barry_c

join:2002-08-27
San Jose, CA
In BA,
[c:\]nslookup 66.58.9x.xx
Server: xxxx
Address: xxxx

Name: node-xxxx-sjc-onnet.worldcom.com
Address: 66.58.9x.xx

KSUJace
Golden Flash

Chicago, IL
*** magic.cyberonic.com can't find 66.58.21.??: Non-existent domain

chex5

join:2000-05-24
NorthEnd BOS
Jace!

Thats awesome! Get a dhs.org dynamic IP account, assign it to that IP, and it should find it???? I've always wanted to try that with ISP's in the past, but the hostname that the ISP assigns the IP takes precident.... I dont know if a dynamic assigned hostname from dhs.org will be reverse lookup-able, though.

- Chex
--
Sung to the old New England Telephone Ad Jingle: " We're the only one New Eng-Lund, Hell-Ri-zon Tele-phonnnnne! "

IgorKane

@66.58.x.x
Chex - No, if the ISP has an entry for your IP, that one will always take precedence. At that point you need to convince them to replace their generic entry with yours, whatever it may be. I think some ISPs will do that, for money cause it creates a maintenance headache.

chex5

join:2000-05-24
NorthEnd BOS
yeah.. i tried it with Jace's IP, it didnt work. I guess you have to be the authoritative master of the block of IP's in order for a reverse to work.

Thanks for the info tho.

- Chex
--
Sung to the old New England Telephone Ad Jingle: " We're the only one New Eng-Lund, Hell-Ri-zon Tele-phonnnnne! "