What Blue Screen I Use Linux.
join:2001-01-18
Ada, MN

9 recommendations

candle$

Floppy Linux anyone.

The most Linux on one diskette!
»www.toms.net/rb/

Fli4l is a single floppy Linux-based ISDN, DSL and Ethernet-Router. You can build it from an old 486 based pc with 16 megabyte memory.
»www.fli4l.de/

floppyfw is a one diskette based static router with the firewall-capabilities. Mostly derived from Debian.
»www.zelow.no/floppyfw/

giotto is an extendable modular Linux floppy distribution. Among the available add on packages are an ethernet masquerader, a collection of some application-level proxies, and a giotto development kit.
»www.quietsche-entchen.de/giotto/

A linux system running on Intel PCs. DLX comes on only one 3,5" floppydisk. DLX boots with a kernel >= 1.3.89 and starts a ramdisk image. DLX also has a writeable ext2 filesystem of about 130 kb on the floppy to store configuration scripts. DLX supports parallel-port ZIP-Drive.
»www.wu-wien.ac.at/usr/h9 ··· dlx.html

lfalinux is a minidistribuition on two floppy disks. Based on Slackware. Uses libc 5.0 and kernel 2.0.X.
»alfalinux.sourceforge.net/

Linux in a Pillbox contains different "pills" or mini distributions for specific uses. The result is a set of specialized, easily configurable linux floppies.
»www.liap.eu.org/

Small flashdisk linux distribution
»www.data.slu.se/bifrost/ ··· .en.html

Fd Linux is a very tiny floppy distribution of Linux, set to fit on one floppy disk that is able to provide new linux users with low-end machines (e.g. 386) very useful set of networking related binaries and firewall tools.
»www.fdlinux.com

Martins Linux-Mandrake 6.0 on 2 floppy disks
»www.nettwork.com/martin/ ··· andrake/

designed to quickly convert PC workstation into secure linux-based workstation using ssh to connect to remote host (other networking clients are also supported). It supports bootp for determining host IP and other network parameters (there's also manual configuration possible, but bootp is recommended). In addition to workstations equipped with a network card (ethernet or arcnet), you can also use Pocket Linux on a PC equipped with a modem. Modem is automatically detected and then PPP connection is made.
»pocket-linux.coven.vmh.net/

Post Modern$
join:2001-09-18
Springfield, MA

1 recommendation

Post Modern$

Good score....

Thanks -

PM

CS_Buddy
Black Mage
Premium Member
join:2002-01-03
Canada

CS_Buddy to candle$

Premium Member

to candle$
Nice list I'll just add one as well.

Coyote Linux is a single floppy distribution of Linux that is designed for the sole purpose of sharing an Internet connection. Runs IPChains for basic firewalling and NAT, and has a text based GUI through telnet. Creates RAMDISK image and can save config files to the floppy.

»www.coyotelinux.com

Eatmeingreek
join:2001-06-29
San Francisco, CA

Eatmeingreek to candle$

to candle$
My fave, from the lunatic fringe:

It started as a secure, single floppy, bootable Linux distribution for storing PGP keys and then encrypting, signing and wiping files. At some point it became an exercise in over-engineering.

Tinfoil Hat Linux

Chillybott
Understands Marx And Lenin
Premium Member
join:2002-02-15
MHV, NY, USA

Chillybott

Premium Member

not a single floppy (I think 3, but I have it booting off of a CF card) but a nice distro is LEAF (Lx Embedded Appliance Firewall) @ »leaf.sourceforge.net/

latest distro from them is called Bering - very solid and nicely modifiable

drjim
MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA

drjim to Eatmeingreek

MVM

to Eatmeingreek
HAH! That's great. I like their logo.
drjim

steve1515
Premium Member
join:2000-08-07
Peabody, MA

steve1515

Premium Member

Is there a linux on a floppy that I can put in my laptop so I can use gcc and g++ for my programming classes?

candle$
What Blue Screen I Use Linux.
join:2001-01-18
Ada, MN

candle$

Thanks for all the thumbs guys..

freerock
Premium Member
join:2001-05-04
Jersey City, NJ

freerock to steve1515

Premium Member

to steve1515
on a floppy, nope gcc and g++ are too big for a floppy. You could use those cd based distros or use zipslack

steve1515
Premium Member
Peabody, MA

steve1515

Premium Member

I have WindowsXP on my laptop and it's NTFS. Zipslack only works on FAT/FAT32. Is there one that works on NTFS?

freerock
Premium Member
Jersey City, NJ

freerock

Premium Member

so why don't you partition some free space off of the NTFS partition and use that to dual boot?

steve1515
Premium Member
Peabody, MA

steve1515

Premium Member

I didn't really want to make major changes. I only wanted a quick and temporary thing. It's not really that important.

freerock
Premium Member
Jersey City, NJ

freerock

Premium Member

try knoppix: »www.knopper.net/knoppix/ ··· -en.html

subcultured
Premium Member
join:2001-08-21
Jamaica Plain, MA

subcultured to steve1515

Premium Member

to steve1515
or use cygwin: »cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/pack ··· grep=gcc
paul1238
join:2000-11-03
Brookline, MA

paul1238 to steve1515

to steve1515
said by steve1515:
I didn't really want to make major changes. I only wanted a quick and temporary thing. It's not really that important.

Since it's just for programming classes, you might want to consider using cygwin. Checkout »www.cygwin.com which is a Redhat project. It's probably the quickest thing that you can setup and cleanup is very simple.

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium Member
join:2002-12-30
New Castle, PA

pianotech

Premium Member

Don't forget about Hal, another nice small Linux distro that fits on a single floppy and loads completely into RAM on bootup.

Check it out here

duhhee
Corprep
join:2002-06-08
Mission Hills, CA

duhhee to candle$

to candle$
I use MuLinux, floppy based, runs in ramdisk, even runs X windows on my old 486SX laptop... add on or add as little as you wish, for your functionality..

»mulinux.sunsite.dk

--duh

Hanzerik
join:2002-01-03
Trenton, NJ

Hanzerik to candle$

to candle$
www.leka.net

The one I like
bmn
? ? ?

join:2001-03-15
hiatus

bmn to candle$

to candle$
»www.freesco.org

Don't forget this one... I used this as my first router before switching over to my openbsd firewall.

stateq2
control the code
Premium Member
join:2003-03-27
Jackson, MS

stateq2 to steve1515

Premium Member

to steve1515
said by steve1515:

most linux distros can only read NTFS, so its best to partition the WindowsXP OS on NTFS, and put all your data files in a FAT32 partition. This way, you'll have no trouble. I think the only good reason to have NTFS is because the cluster sizes are smaller.