how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

z28kindaguy
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Brooklyn, MD

Do Via chipsets have comp issues with Audigy?

Do via chipsets have compatibility issues with Audigy soundcards? I'm having trouble with my KT333 mainboard, and my Audigy soundcard it seems. I thought I read somewhere that people are having trouble with this combination... but I'm not sure.
btw Codezero... your more than welcome to blast Via here.
--
Who cares about ET? Use your spare CPU cycles for a real cause, Join Team Discovery today!

AR
Premium,ExMod 2001-04
join:2000-09-21
Toronto, ON
No problems with my Audigy Mp3+ and Abit Kx7-333.
--
What? Me worry?

xxnoelziexx
Noc
Premium
join:2002-04-06
London
reply to z28kindaguy
I had no problem running this setup asus a7v333 and audigy. My company was using this setup for over a year with no problems. I know there was a few problems at the start. Some blamed via some blamed creative. I blamed creative as there driver support was crap . You should take a look in the creative forums as I have found it to be very helpful in the past.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to z28kindaguy
Some people have problems with Creative sound cards and VIA chipsets and others have had the exact same problems with Intel chipsets. You might have problems - you might not. The problem is Creative's problem and they fail to correct it for both chipsets.

I personally refuse to buy any Creative products for this reason among others....
--
Brian
CylonRed in the AOLL
"Just on the border of your waking mind........"

Mark
Premium
join:2001-11-15
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:1
reply to z28kindaguy
My feelings exactly Cyclone, there is a nice alternative available too, the turtle beach.

z28kindaguy
Premium
Brooklyn, MD
said by Mark:
My feelings exactly Cyclone, there is a nice alternative available too, the turtle beach.
Looks like I'm buying another one... I'm having no trouble with the one that's in my secondary system.
--
Who cares about ET? Use your spare CPU cycles for a real cause, Join Team Discovery today!

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
reply to z28kindaguy
Audigy + VIA chipset = registry meltdown

Though I did manage to get the Audigy to work when I installed the latest chipset drivers before installing the Audigy, I still had overall hell keeping the machine up and running with that combination.

Switching to an nForce board fixed that problem of course

Though I guess it depends more on the generation of the chipset and chipset driver version more than anything. I Just know damned well that I won't be getting another VIA-based anything as long as I can help it

P.S. I'm biased against VIA, but my experience w/ the KT266 chipset and a faulty Epox board is enough to make me stick to my guns
--
Free SAT review: VIA is to chipsets as AOL is to ISPs.

SVTRanger

join:2001-07-17
reply to z28kindaguy
the via+audigy thing is in the past...via has grown out of THAT incompatibility.

z28kindaguy
Premium
Brooklyn, MD
reply to C0deZer0
I guess I can troubleshoot all of this by sticking in a cheapy crystal audio sound card before I pluck down some cash on another TB. This just sucks... I'm also thinking I have just a bad mobo, because this Audigy was working in my Abit KG-7 Raid.. (which has AMD northbridge.)
--

ladyhawk57

join:2003-01-31
Warren, MI
reply to z28kindaguy
I have an Abit KR7A-133RAID board with the VIA KT266A chipset. I have a Creative Audigy Platinum board running without any problems. What I would suggest is that you install the sound card first, if you're building a new system, and then install the latest drivers. Of course, that is after the video card otherwise what's the point!!

I love this board and the sound out of my 5.1 speakers is fantastic. I have a Santa Cruz sound card in my other machine and prefer the sound quality from the Creative board.
--
I Am Strong, I Am Invincible, I Am Woman. I Am Tired.LadyHawk57

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium
join:2001-04-07
Summerville, SC
kudos:1
reply to z28kindaguy
No issues with the KT266, KT333 or KT400 chipsets and my Audigies. I had lots of issues with the KT133a chipset (Not only Audigy issues).

chmod
Premium
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL
reply to z28kindaguy
I ran a live! gamer on my old kt133 board without a hitch for a few years now it resides in my 850e p4 rig still running great.

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Premium,Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky
kudos:3
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

reply to C0deZer0
said by C0deZer0:
You always make it sound like anything to do with VIA doesn't work with anything else. Be more specific and state what board and what chipset you had a problem with.

Just like gquiring, I've built plenty of VIA/SB (LIVE!, LIVE! 5.1, and Audigy) systems and have never had a single installation, driver, or stability issue. Of couse, I was smart and/or lucky enough to have avoided the KT133/133A chipset, which was widely known to have issues.

I don't mind (actually, I appreciate) your experience(s). What I don't like are the generalities.

If you wouldn't mind, PLEASE be more specific.
--
"Q: When will it be done? A: When pigs fly! "

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
said by dbmaven:
said by C0deZer0:
You always make it sound like anything to do with VIA doesn't work with anything else.
I really do think he thinks that....
--
Brian
CylonRed in the AOLL

z28kindaguy
Premium
Brooklyn, MD
said by CylonRed:

I really do think he thinks that....

Yeah.. Codezero has issues with via... but its cool.. sometimes funny.
--

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

3 recommendations

reply to z28kindaguy
Well, I was hoping that I wouldn't have to repeat myself, but here goes.

In my experiences, VIA has shown that it is a company that shows complete and utter disregard for its users. Not only do they make some extremely horrid, unstable chipsets, but they can't even support their own stuff or keep up to date the drivers they put out.

First, long, drawn-out and overly painful example: Epox 8KHA (VIA KT266 chipset).

This is the board that will live in infamy for me, and nearly scared me away completely from ever building my own computer, it was so bad.

First day I got it, and finally was able to set it all up, it wouldn't recognize the processor correctly, so it wouldn't finish POST.

The BIOS updating was also a nightmare on that machine compared to every other motherboard I've worked with. It apparently didn't like it the first time, and it in the end needed to be flashed three times in order for the processor to be recognized correctly, and for the thing to work.

Secondly, the overall stability of the thing to begin with was terrible. Its IRQ assignments were all farked, and even with freeing up about 5 by disabling most (if not all) of my legacy ports, there was IRQ sharing galore. It wouldn't even run the memory at stock. I had to scale it down to using PC1600/DDR200 spec in order to get it to let me finish POST and move on to booting the OS.

Finally, when I could get into the OS Setup and actually booting up into it, my problems were far from over. First, i was told that I shouldn't need to install the 4-in-1 drivers, because "XP Pro has them built in." WRONG. Tried to install Audigy without the 4-in-1's, and I get this lovely message showing up on my screen only a mere two reboots later:
said by system w/o 4-in-1 drivers:
Registry Hive:
/Software/**
is either corrupt or missing,
or its backup or alternate.
This is where the real fun began, for I could never have the machine up and running more than a week, all because of all the millions of other conflicts.

The 4-in-1 drivers installation was a horrid routine, and would hang constantly. The only thing they ever did was keep that registry meltdown from happening when I installed my Audigy. It caused many other conflicts beyond that.

•Instability running games•still couldn't run memory even @ stock•Conflicts With Roxio's GoBack (this was the first and only time I've ever seen GoBack complain about anything

The list went on. Epox's support was absolutely non-existent, and I had tried everything recommended to me in the MS help forum and here, and still no luck. I couldn't even find a single driver revision at the time that would let the Ti200 work right on that motherboard. Then it had to go let my system overheat when running Jedi Knight II demo.

In its glorious finale, the board decided to kill itself, and take the hard drive with it (60GB WD Caviar HDD, bought @ Circuit City). Needless to say, after the long problems I had with both WD and this board, I was sure I wouldn't be giving either anymore business. The HDD was returned, so I could get my $$$ back and get a fresh new Maxtor. The only thing left of the motherboard is the northbridge fan.

Second, now very glaring annoyance: VIA VT6202 USB2.0 chip

I was glad to finally have a working board when I got my NV7-133R. At first, I was very weary to see the "VIA" chip on there, being there to handle USB2.0. But then I thought to myself, "Surely, they could at least make a proper chip for one function, right?"

Big mistake. Driver that came with the cd doesn't work. Had to go online to find a working one for it. Its last revision was almost 2 years old.

Went to VIA's many different sites for any sort of updated driver, but alas, VIA in its infinite wisdom decided to drop support and quit making anymore updated drivers for their own chip. Nice move there.

Even now, I still can't use the USB2.0 ports right, because the only thing that can work with them right now is my HP Printer.

I plug in my Logitech Gamepad on them, and it prompts a reinstall of the drivers everytime. Also, the apps and such that I would put it to use with don't recognize it when it's on those ports. It's fine on the 1.1 ports, but not these.

I plug in my Intel PC-cam on the USB2.0 ports... I get a hard lockup (requiring a power-off), and at worst cases, a BSOD.

VIA is the most worthless company I've seen. Their driver support is horrid, their chips are absolute garbage and even their newest crap still has compatibility problems out the yin-yang.

If I have to choose between VIA and Intel for my next machine, I'm buying a Mac. I love AMD for their CPU's, but I refuse to put another VIA product in my machines again.

Does this explain my POV for you?
--

AR
Premium,ExMod 2001-04
join:2000-09-21
Toronto, ON
said by C0deZer0:
in my machines again.

Sure. But when you make general statements like "Audigy + VIA chipset = registry meltdown ", that is not spelt out as a PoV, it is mentioned as a fact which is misleading to someone who has no knowledge of the issue.

Nitpicky, probably.
--
What? Me worry?

DSLR ISSWEET
Premium
join:2002-08-12
DSLR SUCKS
reply to z28kindaguy
never had a prob with via chipset code...guess im extremely lucky...eveyone pray for me as i stick the sb live 5.1 in my tk333
--
U R B stupid! Yes you r is stupid!

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

1 recommendation

reply to C0deZer0
said by C0deZer0:

Nope - you did not have to repeat yourself - but it does show people that you really have problems with the company that made the motherboard - not VIA....
--
Brian
CylonRed in the AOLL

MajinKenshin
Too Much Talking, More Fighting

join:2002-04-10
UK
reply to z28kindaguy
I've got to defend CodeZero again on this one

I have previously posted this link in another thread, and i do believe that it is once again warranted for this discussion:

»www.matrox.com/video/support/rtx ··· sets.cfm

Have a look at the unsupported chipsets, oh look, all VIA chipsets are incompatible, all the way up to the KT400(i'm sure their newer P4 chipsets still have the same problem and Matrox couldn't be bothered to list them).

For any PCI device that needs any amount of bandwidth, the VIA chipsets are deemed.....useless, unless anyone can prove otherwise, I'd appreciate it if a website could actually run some latency/bandwidth tests on everyones chipsets, that would kill this discussion completely.

There is no way in hell that I'd buy a motherboard that had any kind of VIA chipset on it.
--
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
said by MajinKenshin:
I've got to defend CodeZero again on this one

I have previously posted this link in another thread, and i do believe that it is once again warranted for this discussion:

»www.matrox.com/video/support/rtx ··· sets.cfm

Have a look at the unsupported chipsets, oh look, all VIA chipsets are incompatible, all the way up to the KT400(i'm sure their newer P4 chipsets still have the same problem and Matrox couldn't be bothered to list them).

For any PCI device that needs any amount of bandwidth, the VIA chipsets are deemed.....useless, unless anyone can prove otherwise, I'd appreciate it if a website could actually run some latency/bandwidth tests on everyones chipsets, that would kill this discussion completely.

There is no way in hell that I'd buy a motherboard that had any kind of VIA chipset on it.

MATROX does not support them - plenty of others do with no problems. If Creative and Matrox do not want to make good drivers - fine - I won't buy anything from them (and currently don't). They want to cut out a large part of the home builder group - fine - they won't get sales from us. Funny thing is I got my mom a Matrox card and it works BEAUTIFULLY with the VIA chipset.

If the chipset has suck problems with bandwidth then it should be obvious and I have yet to see anything that says the chipset has limited bandwidth - probably bacause MANY things affect bandwidth and it would be difficult to prove it was solely the chipset.

Just because a manufacturer does nto support a chipset with their driver - really means nothing. nVidia/ATI supports VIA with no problems and they are BOTH better companies than Matrox (when was the last time Matrox had a merely good gaming card? 3-5 years ago? 'Nuff said...
--
Brian
CylonRed in the AOLL

MajinKenshin

UK

reply to z28kindaguy
Actually the link was regarding Matrox's higher end editing cards, which are dependent on PCI bandwidth to transfer multiple streams of Video and audio across the bus, just because your G4XX graphics card works fine(on an independent bus) doesn't really stack up to anything,

I'm not bitching or anything, but i haven't seen any reviews of any VIA motherboards use the PCI bus for anything other than 'a soundcard'. Now personally i have had just about every problem known in relation to VIA chipsets, this is why i cannot recommend one, except for the KT133a.

also on the note or other brands, Canopus, who also depend highly on the PCI bus for transferring video also do not recommend VIA chipsets(except for the KT133a), Pinnacle Systems do, which is quite strange considering that half of the boards certified don't actually work(yes, i've tested this).

Come on, be a little more open on this, VIA have a heap of problems with their chipsets, their own forums speak volumes about compatibility problems with.....everything, someone once said that because Intel/AMD/SIS don't have their own forums, that most of their problems do not get out, but i'd put money on an Intel chipset being more stable than VIA.

Everyone has problems, SIS had problems with their AGP 8X implementation, to the point that even their own card would not work with their chpset, AMD have more or less given up on chipsets, which is why i won't purchase an AMD system, if the CPU manufacturer has given up on supporting their own product line, what does that say about the company?

Hmmmm, forgot to mention Intel, hmmm, dodgy i820 chipset(how long ago was that?), dodgy i845 chipsets where every board has 3 slots and can only use two because of bank limits(but rock solid stable), strange 64bit PCI implementation where every card has to share an IRQ regardless(but rock solid stable), non standard power connectors(got a motherboard with 3 seperate power connectors(ATX block has 4 pins too many +4pin ATX12V +8pin block), hmmmm what else???

[text was edited by author 2003-02-14 12:23:29]

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

In 5 years of building PC's with VIA chipsets I have never had one problem that could be traced to the chipset (even when built on what I heard was a horrible chipset - MVP3). All problems were fixable (any problems were OS related slot sequence related) and all systems were/are stable. Last 4 PC's built ran Seti@Home for 3 days straight with zero errors and 2 of those systems still run Seti@Home 24x7.

Creative cards have had problems with Intel chipsets also but I have yet to hear that Intel makes crappy chipsets (in fact there were quite a bit of problems with the SB Live and Intel chipsets in the Asus newsgroup - the same problems that the VIA chipsets had).

Problem is - Codes problems were NOT related to teh chipset - it had EVERYTHING to do with the motherboard manufacturer - a fact he refuses to believe and refuses to put the blame where it belongs. He simply got a bad Epox board...
--
Brian

CylonRed in the AOLL

[text was edited by author 2003-02-14 12:31:14]

MajinKenshin

UK
reply to z28kindaguy
Well, i had to revise my post as i was sounding a little pro-intel and against everybody else, there are certain board manufacturers that i have learned from experience to stay away from, one of which being Asus, I have never owned an Epox motherboard, and I never will.

True that many of the problems that people may have may either be attributed to either manufacturer or user, but there are also those exceptions when the manufacturer can only make a bad chipset so good yes?

Also granted VIA have more or less single handedly kept AMD out of the 'forgotten cpu brand pile':
("who was that company again.....A...M...Cyrix wasn't it??"
"Yeah something like that")

But to be honest, i find it hard to give them credit for that considering the amount of wasted months i've spent troubleshooting their chipsets.

P.S currently running SIS648 chipset, total crock of shite, have to get granite bay!
--
If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination.

C0deZer0
Premium
Tempe, AZ

reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:
Nope - you did not have to repeat yourself - but it does show people that you really have problems with the company that made the motherboard - not VIA....
Did you even read the whole post, Cylon?

It's not Just the motherboard I have had problems with, but also the VT6202 chip that is on my current board. the latest driver (which hasn't been updated in more than a YEAR) still doesn't work right, even on a clean installation. And VIA in its infinite wisdom decides to flat-out deny any form of support for the chip, in either technical form or drivers.

If this doesn't show an overall lack of respect towards supporting hardware (considering a simple chip that is there for only ONE function), I don't know what is.
--

[text was edited by author 2003-02-14 16:20:47]

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Premium,Mod
Sty in Sky
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

said by C0deZer0:
...the VT6202 chip that is on my current board. the latest driver (which hasn't been updated in more than a YEAR) still doesn't work right, even on a clean installation. And VIA in its infinite wisdom decides to flat-out deny any form of support for the chip, in either technical form or drivers.

You still seem to be missing the point. Once again, you should be blaming the motherboard manufacturer for doing a poor job in integrating the USB 2.0 chip into their PCB/BIOS, and/or MICROSOFT (since your profile shows you're running XP PRO).
From the VIA Page for the USB 2.0 drivers:
said by VIAARENA.COM:
USB 2.0 Drivers

WinXP - Due to licensing agreements, USB 2.0 drivers are not available for download. USB 2.0 drivers are supplied on CD with new mainboards. If you have misplaced the driver CD or have questions about the USB 2.0 driver, please contact your motherboard manufacturer or Microsoft.

It doesn't mean I don't sympathize with you for any or all of the problems - I do. But a sample of 2 does not make a statistically strong argument for VIA being the bane of civilized existence everywhere througout the galaxy - especially when many others here prefer VIA over some other solutions - and have tens or hundreds of successful builds to support their stance.

I'm sorry if I took this thread WAY off-topic. The direct question was about AUDIGY cards and VIA chipsets. There is no significant body of evidence that points to a pervasive problem between those specific items.
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

reply to C0deZer0
said by C0deZer0:
said by CylonRed:
Did you even read the whole post, Cylon?

It's not Just the motherboard I have had problems with, but also the VT6202 chip that is on my current board. the latest driver (which hasn't been updated in more than a YEAR) still doesn't work right, even on a clean installation. And VIA in its infinite wisdom decides to flat-out deny any form of support for the chip, in either technical form or drivers.

If this doesn't show an overall lack of respect towards supporting hardware (considering a simple chip that is there for only ONE function), I don't know what is.
--

[text was edited by author 2003-02-14 16:20:47]

Read it and as maven pointed out the real reason for the problem has been pointed out ot you several times already - you refuse to believe what is printed/known...
--
Brian
CylonRed in the AOLL

Dest
Bolo
Premium
join:2000-03-21
Naperville, IL
reply to C0deZer0
said by C0deZer0:

In my experiences, VIA has shown that it is a company that shows complete and utter disregard for its users. Not only do they make some extremely horrid, unstable chipsets, but they can't even support their own stuff or keep up to date the drivers they put out.

First, long, drawn-out and overly painful example: Epox 8KHA (VIA KT266 chipset).

This is the board that will live in infamy for me, and nearly scared me away completely from ever building my own computer, it was so bad.

First day I got it, and finally was able to set it all up, it wouldn't recognize the processor correctly, so it wouldn't finish POST.

The BIOS updating was also a nightmare on that machine compared to every other motherboard I've worked with. It apparently didn't like it the first time, and it in the end needed to be flashed three times in order for the processor to be recognized correctly, and for the thing to work.

Secondly, the overall stability of the thing to begin with was terrible. Its IRQ assignments were all farked, and even with freeing up about 5 by disabling most (if not all) of my legacy ports, there was IRQ sharing galore. It wouldn't even run the memory at stock. I had to scale it down to using PC1600/DDR200 spec in order to get it to let me finish POST and move on to booting the OS.

Finally, when I could get into the OS Setup and actually booting up into it, my problems were far from over. First, i was told that I shouldn't need to install the 4-in-1 drivers, because "XP Pro has them built in." WRONG. Tried to install Audigy without the 4-in-1's, and I get this lovely message showing up on my screen only a mere two reboots later:
said by system w/o 4-in-1 drivers:
Registry Hive:
/Software/**
is either corrupt or missing,
or its backup or alternate.
This is where the real fun began, for I could never have the machine up and running more than a week, all because of all the millions of other conflicts.

The 4-in-1 drivers installation was a horrid routine, and would hang constantly. The only thing they ever did was keep that registry meltdown from happening when I installed my Audigy. It caused many other conflicts beyond that.

•Instability running games•still couldn't run memory even @ stock•Conflicts With Roxio's GoBack (this was the first and only time I've ever seen GoBack complain about anything

The list went on. Epox's support was absolutely non-existent, and I had tried everything recommended to me in the MS help forum and here, and still no luck. I couldn't even find a single driver revision at the time that would let the Ti200 work right on that motherboard. Then it had to go let my system overheat when running Jedi Knight II demo.

In its glorious finale, the board decided to kill itself, and take the hard drive with it (60GB WD Caviar HDD, bought @ Circuit City). Needless to say, after the long problems I had with both WD and this board, I was sure I wouldn't be giving either anymore business. The HDD was returned, so I could get my $$$ back and get a fresh new Maxtor. The only thing left of the motherboard is the northbridge fan.

Second, now very glaring annoyance: VIA VT6202 USB2.0 chip

I was glad to finally have a working board when I got my NV7-133R. At first, I was very weary to see the "VIA" chip on there, being there to handle USB2.0. But then I thought to myself, "Surely, they could at least make a proper chip for one function, right?"

Big mistake. Driver that came with the cd doesn't work. Had to go online to find a working one for it. Its last revision was almost 2 years old.

Went to VIA's many different sites for any sort of updated driver, but alas, VIA in its infinite wisdom decided to drop support and quit making anymore updated drivers for their own chip. Nice move there.

Even now, I still can't use the USB2.0 ports right, because the only thing that can work with them right now is my HP Printer.

I plug in my Logitech Gamepad on them, and it prompts a reinstall of the drivers everytime. Also, the apps and such that I would put it to use with don't recognize it when it's on those ports. It's fine on the 1.1 ports, but not these.

I plug in my Intel PC-cam on the USB2.0 ports... I get a hard lockup (requiring a power-off), and at worst cases, a BSOD.

VIA is the most worthless company I've seen. Their driver support is horrid, their chips are absolute garbage and even their newest crap still has compatibility problems out the yin-yang.

If I have to choose between VIA and Intel for my next machine, I'm buying a Mac. I love AMD for their CPU's, but I refuse to put another VIA product in my machines again.

BIOS got nothing to do with VIA but is responsibility of Epox, so is board stability

all your trouble with memory and stability seem to indicate a faulty Mobo from the begining anyway

IRQ sharing is an issue of Window XP/2k ACPI implementation nothing to do with VIA OR Epox, if you install XP as a standard PC rather than a ACPI compatible PC you can get rid of the IRQ sharing

no expereince with USB2.0 so i won't touch the issue.

I have expereience with 3 Intel chipset Mobo, VX, TX, BX, 1 Sis Mobo duno what model, and 3 VIA mobo, Apollo133, Apollo133a, and KT133a. Never had any major problem with any of them.

jawz
Woohoo For Broadband
Premium
Chicago, IL
reply to z28kindaguy
I've never had a problem with Asus boards that have VIA chipsets...mainly the A7V333 and the A7V8X. These boards run wonderfully and are quite stable, but who really knows how stable a board actually is since Windows is what causes many spontaneous restarts. As far as hardware compatibility, though, Asus boards with VIA chipsets have been nothing but good to me. Go Asus!
--
»logs.home.mchsi.com - Visit my Mediacom Logbook

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Premium,Mod
Sty in Sky
The last post in this thread was a month ago!

Anything more than 2 weeks old is considered "closed" and should not be added to, in observing forum etiquette.
--