Maranello
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-08
Butler, PA
Reviews:
·Armstrong Zoom ..

7 recommendations

[Cooling] Thermal Compound Review

As I was almost out of AS2 I was faced with buying something else but if you havent noticed, thermal compound is growing in price. I looked at all the reviews i could find but didnt see much of a difference between them so i decided to buy a few tubes and test them myself.

The test was run with my 2400+ mounted on the 8K3A+. Since it reads temps directly from the cpu diode I figured it would be the best way to test..... its also the most accurate board I've ever used for reporting temps. I used my AX-7 with the Delta 68cfm 80mm fan. Each test was started with the cleaning of the cpu. I used nail polish remover first then alcohol to make sure nothing was left on the core. The same was done for the HSF.

The compounds were (in the oder I tested them)

-Artic Silver 2
-Evercool 350 Silicone
-Artic Silver 3
-Artic Alumina
-Nanotherm BlueII
-Nanotherm XTC

Just some notes about the compounds. AS2, AS3 and XTC are all silver based so they would be slightly conductive. Artic Alumina and BlueII are ceramic based and nonconductive. The Evercool is the silicone "white stuff" and non conductive.

I started the system and let the cpu sit idle for 5 minutes before recording a temp. I then started Toast and ran it for 5 minutes before recording a temp. I ran each one twice (cleaning between each) except for the BlueII. The results confused me so i checked the Nanotherm site to make sure i was applying it correctly. I was but reapplied and got the same results. BlueII was tested 3 times.

The results were:

-Compound - Idle - Load

-Artic Silver 2 - 36C - 44C
-Evercool 350 Silicone - 38C - 48C
-Artic Silver 3 - 36C - 44C
-Artic Alumina - 36C - 44C
-Nanotherm BlueII - 39C - 49C
-Nanotherm XTC - 35C - 43C

I wouldnt say any of them were clear "winners" since a 1C drop isnt anything to get excited about. I was surprised with the BlueII since the reviews I read said it was great. I knew going into this that the white silicone Evercool wouldnt be the greatest.

I would have to say your safe using any of the 4 best temps but I'll be using Artic Alumina from now on. It isnt conductive and its about half as much as AS2, AS3 or XTC which are all about $8 a tube (alumina was $4)
--

Maranello
Premium,MVM
Butler, PA
Reviews:
·Armstrong Zoom ..

2 recommendations

The screen shots for each test....
--

FastEddie
Premium,Ex-Mod 2001-13
join:2000-12-29
Channel Z
kudos:6
Excellent job Maranello.

Great big

Note to self : Must buy some Artic Alumina
--
»»»Press«««

Dogwood
Premium
join:2001-01-14
Texas

1 recommendation

reply to Maranello
For how long did you leave them on?
Most of these types of compounds have 2 to 4 day cure time to reach optimum thermal efficiency.

TOTC
I only exist to make you cry
Premium
join:2001-05-16
Van Nuys, CA
reply to Maranello
This is what I have.. Nice Maranello
--
1/28/03-15,668 3D Marks 170Mhz

sjohnson3

join:2001-02-28
Sioux Falls, SD
reply to Maranello
What! No Type 44 in the mix? lol, guess I'll have to send you some

Good job bud!
--
Don't confuse me with the facts...

paul
Granpa Paul
Premium,MVM,ExMod 2006
join:2001-07-14
reply to Maranello
Good research, my man!!!! Appreciate the time you took to do those tests....

On a side note, how good are the small syringes of goop that Thermalright packages with their SK7's? Going to be sending a care package to Canada, and he needs some goop.

Paul
--
looking for little green men.... Team Starfire Queue VI

Maranello
Premium,MVM
Butler, PA
reply to Maranello
if its the white stuff thats what evercool is. i bought that but its the same stuff you get free with HSF's.
--

paul
Granpa Paul
Premium,MVM,ExMod 2006
join:2001-07-14
reply to Maranello
Yeah, it's white. It's not a really small syringe like the ones Evercool packs with their hsf's, it's quite a bit bigger, looks like a generic syringe, no markings like the small Evercool syringes has.

Oh, hsf finally got here today for the p4.... wh00t!

Paul
--
looking for little green men.... Team Starfire Queue VI

netddos
Life Goes On..

join:2001-08-28
Fullerton, CA
reply to Maranello
Very informative!

Thanks Maranello.

Skit112

join:2001-08-06
Hoboken, NJ
reply to Maranello
Nice Maranello...thanks for the work and the info.

CyberKnight3
Communism
Premium
join:2003-02-10
CyberSpace
reply to paul
said by paul:
Yeah, it's white. It's not a really small syringe like the ones Evercool packs with their hsf's, it's quite a bit bigger, looks like a generic syringe, no markings like the small Evercool syringes has.

Oh, hsf finally got here today for the p4.... wh00t!

Paul

What kinda Heatsink did you get ?

kat4

Birmingham, AL
reply to Maranello
many thanks for the execllent work
MISTER MARANELLO
--
common sense...isn't

TheDarkElf
Thehappyelf

join:2001-02-12
Mclean, VA
reply to Maranello
Simple and to the point. that's the way i like it!

Andy8
B B R Bash Bush Regularly
Premium
join:2002-01-26
::1
reply to Maranello
Thanks!

*cough* *cough* * new FAQ/What are the differences between different Thermal Compounds?* *cough*
--
When he reached the New World, Cortez burned his ships.As a result, his men were well motivated.

AmnChode
Premium
join:2001-03-27
San Antonio, TX
reply to Dogwood
said by Dogwood:
Most of these types of compounds have 2 to 4 day cure time to reach optimum thermal efficiency.
i was kinda curious of the same thing....if this was tested all in 1 or 2 days, those temps won't be accurate....a test like this should take a couple of weeks minimum to be able to get the correct results....

taken from Arctic Silver's site: »www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silv···ions.htm
quote:
Important Reminder:

Due to the unique shape and sizes of the silver particles in Arctic Silver 3, it will take a minimum of 72 hours, and as many as 200 hours to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink.) The CPU's temperature will drop as much as 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period.

Maranello
Premium,MVM
Butler, PA
Reviews:
·Armstrong Zoom ..
reply to Maranello
I dont buy into the "your going to need days and hours" hype. IMO and from what ive seen over the years, what you get after you apply is what you will have long term. I stole the AX7 off the 1600+ machine ... the board i used usually runs my swiftech water block. the 1600+ is running with AS3 now and the 2400+ XTC..... its been about 14 hours and there is still no difference in temps then what there was when i first turned the systems on. if i ever see a temp drop its usually +/- 2C which is nothing to dance about and most likely its a change in ambient temp causing the temp flux.
--

Gemologist
Premium
join:2001-11-15
USA
kudos:3
reply to Maranello
Hey.. Mind if I include your review here on my website?? Let me know

libertate

join:2001-04-16
Olean, NY
reply to Maranello
very good work Maranello
I definitely agree about the set-in period for AS...
I've had my AS3 on for a few months and haven't had a
temp drop from when I first applied....

(well, other than when I open a window or something )

FastEddie
Premium,Ex-Mod 2001-13
join:2000-12-29
Channel Z
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to Andy8
said by Andy8:
Thanks!

*cough* *cough* * new FAQ/What are the differences between different Thermal Compounds?* *cough*

*cough* *cough* see the FAQ's

8th question down

--
»»»Press«««

EasyNetwork$
Vip
Premium
join:2002-09-01
Brooklyn, NY
ummm

"
"

It needs more then 5 minutes to settle in dude
--
Visit »e-network.us

Monty6
Support Your Local Sheriff

join:2002-10-17
Parker, CO
reply to Maranello
I have to agree regarding AS alumina. Can't really beat it, performs well, non-conductive and really easy to clean up. I've been very happy with it so far. Nicely done Maranello.
--
Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun...

libertate

join:2001-04-16
Olean, NY
reply to EasyNetwork$
said by EasyNetwork$:
ummm

"
"

It needs more then 5 minutes to settle in dude

"optimum thermal efficiency"

does that sound like PR to anyone else but me?

sjohnson3

join:2001-02-28
Sioux Falls, SD
reply to Maranello
I also agree with Maranello and libertate. Never seen more than a 1 degree change from the initial temp and the temp weeks, even months later. This has been true for a tube of Alpha compound, ASII, ASIII, Shin-Etsu and Type 44.
--
Don't confuse me with the facts...

Maranello
Premium,MVM
Butler, PA
reply to Maranello
its been almost 24 hours now and the as3 system and xtc system are still within 1C of their load/idle temp on first boot after application. i think it is a pr thing.
--

kat4

Birmingham, AL
reply to Maranello
kat suggest that the "settle-in period" or "cure time" is marketing-hype
...or possibly "ghost in machine"...

...change processors, mainboards, hsf's frequently...
most due to premature demise of mainboard, unfortunately...

never see improvement in temp over time with asII or asIII
....and so return to type 44...
--
common sense...isn't

Mark
Premium
join:2001-11-15
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:1
reply to Maranello
I'd just like to add my 4 dollar CoolerMaster HSF, unlapped, using the included thermal compound, keeps my XP 1700 @ 10x191 (1.75v/2.7v) running cool at 38c full load. At stock it runs 27c full load. Wonder what I could do with an SLK-900.

AmnChode
Premium
join:2001-03-27
San Antonio, TX
reply to Maranello
ok..kewl....i don't change out my HSF/CPU near as often as that requires $$$ ...so i am no expert on the subject...just have to go off what i see....with this being the case, it is all good then...hehehe

Dogwood
Premium
Texas
reply to Maranello
I'm sorry, I was not doubting you or your testing methodology.
I had just recalled Ugly's post back in November on this very subject, with info garnered from an article on the insideprojects.com web site.
They had found that some of the compounds had in fact improved with age during there test.
I know nothing of this web sites reliability, but with this test they seemed to be doing a studious job.