Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rockster
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Brisbane AU

Asking for PSP help

I don't know how to make curved text!!! Yes, I'm ashamed to admit it but no matter what I do, I can't make plain old straight text curve like an arch.

What do I have to do to bend the words...I know it must be something simple.

Joey B
Wee
Premium
join:2001-02-16
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

I know this has been done before.. but anyway, easier to throw something together real quick than find it.

Okay, the main trick to curved text is "vector objects" be them straight lines, shapes or anything else you can have the text curve around them and them eliminate them if you like.

--

First we start with a blank image, 400 x 400 in this case.

Next, for this example, we create a vector circle (red and blue circle button)
make sure the "vector" section is checked.
»/r0/download/2···5b/2.jpg

Hover over the cirlce outline with the text tool until the cursor changes from the standard to a different version (looks like a curved section of a circle with an "A" above it). Once you get that, click, input your text, and wah lah.

»/r0/download/2···d9/3.jpg

Same can be done with the free hand drawing tool to create unique curves. Again, just make sure vector is checked as shown.

»/r0/download/2···83/6.jpg

As goes for both, the "guide" can be deleted. Simply delete the vector layer, the object will be deleted, leaving only the curved text.

»/r0/download/2···60/7.jpg

^
^
^
^

»/r0/download/2···8f/5.jpg

tiggerstales
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-25
B'ham, Al.
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Rockster

There's only one way that I know...
first use the draw tool to draw as curved line...be sure that create as vector is selected. Then select the text tool. Move your cursor over the line until it changes from a A with the little crosshairs, to an A with a curved line below it, then type your text...make sure that floating is selected. Then you can delete the layer with the curved line.

Blah...Joey B, you're too fast.
--
4 cams, 5 cats, 7 days a week.=^..^=

Joey B
Wee
Premium
join:2001-02-16
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Rockster

Late night / early morning crew to the rescue :P

Rockster
Premium
Brisbane AU
reply to Rockster

Thank you so much for that Joey.

I was really really stuck. A friend needed a graphic drawn up for his business and he really wanted that curved text and no matter how much I tried to talk him out of it, he was pretty adamant! I would have been able to knock something up in Word, only I've lost my office disks and the only other program I could think of that may do it was PSP, which I have but rarely use because I'm such a dunce at it!

Thank you Tiggerstales for the tip on the floating text, which is very helpful if you don't want to be erasing the circle after you've finished

Inchworm
butterfly wannabe
Premium
join:2002-04-18
Bozeman, MT
reply to Rockster

Well, I'm way too late to help much here. I hope it works well for you. My experience has been less than fulfilling due to the fixed placement of the letters on the line. Probably something I'm doing wrong.
--
Make a difference - join Team Helix or Team Discovery

beta testing
Premium
join:2002-11-15
usa
reply to Rockster

said by Rockster:
Thank you so much for that Joey.

I was really really stuck. A friend needed a graphic drawn up for his business and he really wanted that curved text and no matter how much I tried to talk him out of it, he was pretty adamant! I would have been able to knock something up in Word, only I've lost my office disks and the only other program I could think of that may do it was PSP, which I have but rarely use because I'm such a dunce at it!

Thank you Tiggerstales for the tip on the floating text, which is very helpful if you don't want to be erasing the circle after you've finished
Rockster... You can also do it in Photoshop.
Did the image have to had been done in Paint Shop Pro?
Because it is probably easier to make it in Photoshop
--
A recent poll shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

Rockster
Premium
Brisbane AU
reply to Rockster

Well, no it didn't have to be done in PSP, it did however have to be done in a program that I have and PhotoShop I don't have!

beta testing
Premium
join:2002-11-15
usa
reply to Rockster

said by Rockster:
I don't know how to make curved text!!! Yes, I'm ashamed to admit it but no matter what I do, I can't make plain old straight text curve like an arch.

What do I have to do to bend the words...I know it must be something simple.
O ok... Lol.. it does have to be in a program that you have. Sorry, I didnt know that you didnt have photoshop.
--
A recent poll shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

rjkrash
Premium
join:2001-12-27
Marietta, GA
reply to Inchworm

said by Inchworm:
Well, I'm way too late to help much here. I hope it works well for you. My experience has been less than fulfilling due to the fixed placement of the letters on the line. Probably something I'm doing wrong.

Inch,
when placing the text on a curve or actually anywhere play with the kerning which is typesetting speak for spacing between letters. (Leading is space between lines)