All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

afriend$
join:2002-08-20

afriend$

HEAVE LEARNED MY LESSON ,,now

hello everyone, WELL IT HAPPENED AGAIN,thanks to Norton,Symantec,the letter below has been sent to Symantec & posted on their Tech support site.
This is the 1st site,that i am now re adding to my computer,the only thing in place is norton firewall,but ONLY until i can find another one,
PLZ need YOUR ADVISE,for another antivirus,(leaning toward AVG0 that dosen't take a lot of resources,has daily updates,also a firewall, (NO TO ANYTHING McAFEE) lastly everything was backked up to 2-16-03 on MY DOCUMENT & MY DSL TIPS FIRE,so rest of day will be adding taking out programs on the computer,Plz excuse if i have to ask something again,and THANK U,a'friend,,
========================================TO :SYMANTEC Corportation,( ie; NORTON)
gated 2/19/03---1125 am CENTRAL TIME,,,
FROM;a customer of 3 yrs

Subject: Norton Firewall reg # 140 2479 084 6470
Norton Antivirus: " # 140 2750 445 1172
Norton Utilities: " #140 4841 964 6613

Dear Sirs:, 1st HAVE USED SYMANTEC products EXCLUSIVELY for past 3 years, & unless someone can tell me WHY I should continue to use Symantec products, U have lost a faithful customer.

Reason, I was running Norton Firewall & Antivirus 2002,(not time to buy new yet) ok all updates ok until 2 weeks ago had a problem with a update, so my computer was updated UNTIL 2/12/03, then this morning I downloaded the latest INTELligent update, # 20030218-009-i32.exe
February 18, 2003
February 18, 2003
3.57 MB

THEN A MAJOR PROBLEM, after downloading this latest update,# & dated ABOVE
I had to (AND STILL PUTTING MY COMPUTER PROGRAMS BACK IN) FDISK,ieFORMAT MY WHO COMPUTER, I could not even start my computer in SAFE MODE, nor restore from a previous program,(ie SCANREG/RESTORE)THIS IS THE 2nd & LAST TIME that this has gappened on my computer,(running WIN98se,with DSL) I AM NOW using another brand of ANTIVIRUS, & will be looking for another firewall,but YOU have to ask your self these questions.
#1 What CAN WE DO TO KEEP THIS CUSTOMER
#2, TELL THIS CUSTOMER WHAT HAPPENED & WHY
#3, HOW CAN THIS BE PREVENTED FROM MHAPPENNING AGAIN,

unless someone from Symantec can tell me what went wrong right AFTER downloading this latest update, & WHY I contiue to use Nortons products.
In closing I won't hold my breath waiting for a reply,
( if your tech's past reply-how quick you reply- is any record.
Sincerly my name,,,

P.S, i am using 2002 version, IF THIS,(nelow message) is a way to punish me & others for not buying the 2003 version befor we have to, well U HAVE LOST THIS CUSTOMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

muf9
Captain of the axe
Premium Member
join:2003-01-04
uk

muf9

Premium Member

F-Secure i hear uses both the KAV and F-Prot engines, plus it has a firewall. I don't know much about the quality of the firewall that it uses. take a look here for more info.
»www.f-secure.com/product ··· irus/pe/

muf

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to afriend$

Premium Member

to afriend$
Thanks for the IM friend. I do not have anything I can help you with or recommend on other products. I have read your letter and I understand it. I hope you get a response and sorry you could not fix that update problem. I did see your post about it before as you were trying to make it all work.

Good Luck,

John

Randy Bell
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24
Santa Clara, CA

Randy Bell to afriend$

Premium Member

to afriend$
I also got your IM and the only thing I can suggest is to d/l the update from the ftp server, since the problems you've had have come when you d/l from the website. The server is ftp.symantec.com and the directory is:

/public/english_us_canada/antivirus_definitions/norton_antivirus/

For example, the link to the 20030218-009-i32.exe file you d/l from the website would be, on the ftp site: »ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/ ··· -i32.exe

If you want to try other AVs, take your pick: muf9 See Profile suggested F-Secure which is very good. You can IM Mele20 See Profile who has tried and tested several recently on her box: she's currently using PC-Cillin 2003. I also wish you best of luck. :)

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay to afriend$

MVM

to afriend$
Interesting. I, too, had a problem this AM and NAV might just be the culprit here. I ran 2/18 IU as well and that is about the only thing that I know of that was done between yesterday, when I rebooted, to today, when I did so and received a strange blue screen announcing that MS was sorry for the inconvenience, but that I would have to reboot once again as some new software or hardware had caused some problem. There was a huge amount more information on that screen as well. I dutifully rebooted and got yet another screen, this one not blue, also giving me a huge amount of information and ultimately allowing me to make a choice of what I wanted to do. I choose to just let the reboot continue and so far everything seems to be working as it should. What is going on, I don't know. I do know that in all the years I had my '98 box, I never saw anything like that, so I am assuming that this is something having to do with XP, but for a new system, and a pretty plain one to boot, this is really quite strange. I would have to say that there may be some correlation to the IU of NAV yesterday afternoon, as nothing else has been added other than that. I haven't a clue as to what all of this will mean the next reboot. I am sure that I will find out but didn't feel like doing so at the moment.

Btw., my IU d/l was from the FTP server.

sig6
Premium Member
join:2001-05-05

2 recommendations

sig6 to afriend$

Premium Member

to afriend$
There have been many threads here regarding the various AntiVirus apps people use and many recommendations have been made in this forum to a number of people, including you. Perhaps you could browse through previous threads in this forum or perform a topic and/or text search here for antivirus. Or simply go through previous threads in which you asked for AV information and recommendations. I recall some people providing you with quite a bit of information on various AV products in the past.

afriend$

afriend$

HELLO ALL.

hello everyone,(I'AM SO xczvbxbdhf MAD(stay nice 'friend" I could SPIT, (uj ah ah, I SAID S P I T , i started at 915 this morning central time, NOW 335 CENTRAL, all i did was download the NORTON FIREWALL, an did the updates, & biim had to so another FDSIK,because something in the updates messed my computer up,could get out of safe mode,I'am on here for maybe 10 minutes looking for a firewall & antivirus, (i have the Norton firewall in now,just temp downloaded zone alarm 3.5 till I can see what recommended her, am going to be download those site rec after reading, hope someone rec a good firewall,(preferrable freebie till I see if I can pay for them,(if not locally) by ck,western union,(preferred) or ?? also going to ck email & see if anything thing fron Norton tech's,(id so will let you know am cking replies & sites now THANK U for all the help,a'friend"
P.s. this is 1st site i came to have not even downloaded anything yet into comput other then basic,s will let u know when closing out for evenning, dumping everything from Norton!!!!!!!!1

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to afriend$

Premium Member

to afriend$

Re: HEAVE LEARNED MY LESSON ,,now

Try Sygate Firewall.

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
428.1 21.6

sashwa to afriend$

Mod

to afriend$

Re: HELLO ALL.

Hi friend. If you are looking for a new firewall for your Win98SE machine I would recommend Kerio 2.1.4. I used it on my old Win98SE machine and really liked it. It does not use a lot of resources and there is even a Forum here for it. Here's the link:

»Kerio - Tiny Support

The link for Kerio PFW 2.1.4 is at the top of the forum.

Good luck in solving your problems,
sash

afriend$

afriend$

THANK U EVERYONE,

Thank u for all the help, just cked mail NOTHING, & am downloading what i van find,(AVG) & will ck for the firewall sites rec. TAKE CARE, maybe ????tomarrow a'friend"
p.s. JUST A NOTE ALL THE ANTIVIRUS & FIREWALLS THAT WERE PREV REC BETWEEN 2-15 & today,though saced orignally were not burned onto a cd,so all the site were lost,have avg anti on cd will use it, & look for a firewall,
[text was edited by author 2003-02-19 17:12:48]

Outsourced1
Premium Member
join:2002-03-17
Holly Springs, NC

Outsourced1 to afriend$

Premium Member

to afriend$

I don't know what to tell you. I use Symantec products on all my computers and have never had a problem. I never even think about NAV, it just runs in the background and does it's thing. I let it do all it's updates automatically.
With NIS the only time I think about it is when I need to create new rules for what a new website or program is allowed to do.
I also use Norton System Works.
I am sorry they have caused you so much trouble.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
USA

1 recommendation

jaykaykay to afriend$

MVM

to afriend$
I have figured that what occurred this AM had to have been a glitch as there seems to be nothing that has recurred since then. I have cold booted and rebooted and a few other things and not seen any sign of anything since. I have also the NAV update as of 2/19 and all is well, so whatever my problem was probably wasn't due to NAV. Sorry about your problems, afriend. I hope one of these days you get things working right on your system and can just enjoy life.
No Name5
You Only Regret What You Have Not Done.
join:2000-01-26
Glendale, AZ

No Name5 to afriend$

to afriend$
I have had problems on different types of updates and loading software. One thing I learned the hard way is to shut down all other programs running in the backround when doing updates and installing software.
Yes I am lazy and that is how I had a problem. Just quickly updating a software program and was in a hurry and did not shut down some things running in the background. Yes I have had a problem with Norton and McAfee. For my software setup for whatever reason McAfee plays nicer with everything else currently.
SO just a thought was there an intensive software program running in the background when installing? Another AV, something like United Devices search for cancer, anything else. Sometimes it does cause a glitch to happen.
There are just so many possible combinations of software possible a glitch is bound to happen sometimes.

afriend$

afriend$

FINALLY ALL FIXED

hello all, FINALLY ALL FIXED, NOW RUNNING AGAIN but WITHOUT NAV 2002,useing AVG,want to THANK EVERYONE WHO HAS ,HAD HELPED, i know sometime computer/people can be a pain in the bar harkus,& if I was I APOLOGISE to you, it just that sometimes get so xxx??//"' frustrated when computer/ME mess up,have losta few notes, but all backed up to 2/16/03,,THANKS A AGAIN,,a'friend"

Jerbear1098
Premium Member
join:2001-08-10
Redford, MI

Jerbear1098 to afriend$

Premium Member

to afriend$

Afriend: I don't know if you have a already done this ,
go to start > run > type scanreg.ini change the number of backups from 5 to 15 or 20 this will give you more dates to restore your registry from. Running AVG/ZAF no problems.

Fobulous
Premium Member
join:2002-08-14
Missouri City, TX

Fobulous to afriend$

Premium Member

to afriend$
I have NAV 2002 and Kerio Personal Firewall...they work great together here.

you might want to try the Kerio Personal Firewall...it uses alot less resources,i know you are big on resources. that alone is a good selling point

get it here

afriend$

afriend$

last comment on this,

hello ALL, i found out,9LEARN BY TRIAL & ERROR) again this morning ,WILL SEND A COMMENT TO SYMANTEC SEE WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY)i HAD TO fdsik THE DANG COMPUTER THIS MORNING ,SAID THAVE "HAD PROBLEMS ALSO LIKE THIS

SITUATION: AFTER FDISKING COMPUTER YOU DOWNLOAD ALL YOUR SAVE / BACKUP PROGRAMS,

PROBLEM
AFTER U DOWNLOADNORTON FIREWALL,(nothing else) u go for the updates & they install u reboot & BOOM "'MESSED UP you get the following BLACK SCREEN AT BOOT UP repeated for whole page,

""CANNOT FIND A DEVICE FILE THAT MAYBE NEEDED TO RUN WINDOWS OR A WINDOWS APPLICATION
C:\PROGRAMS~1\SYMANTEC\SYMEUNTO.396"""""'

So I have the "basic" norton firewall in,(no updates) until i find something better there is something in the updates that is hurting my computer,,a'friend"
p.s. tried to go to safe start,& remove norton/ symantec,,na na,na i could remove it all, but when i would reboot it would give same message as above and thats as far as computer would go, so i don't have any idea, I am glad that those using Norton are not having a problem, i used it for 3 yrs, but now will find something else,

Randy Bell
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24
Santa Clara, CA

Randy Bell

Premium Member

How to uninstall NIS and NPF 2002 4.0 or NIS Pro
»service1.symantec.com/SU ··· Document

How to uninstall Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall 2003
»service1.symantec.com/SU ··· Document

and here's the link to the Symantec Knowledge Base search function: »search.symantec.com/cust ··· ery.html

(Like jaykaykay See Profile, I hope you get your system cleaned up and healthy soon, so you can just sit back and enjoy it).

EmilioG
Whats This?
Premium Member
join:2000-09-19
New York, NY

EmilioG to afriend$

Premium Member

to afriend$

I have NIS 2003 and NAV 2003 currently. Upgraded from 2002.
Never had a problem with either, but I don't d/l daily updates either (I don't find it neccessary). NIS/NAV work quietly in the B/g and update themselves.

AFA Symantec and upgrades, with the rebates available, 2002 to 2003 comes out free. (if you have a legal version/license). The last 2 upgrades have been cheaper than buying a new subscription!

Zone Alarm was giving me problems, so I booted it off all my PC's. McAfee, I haven't installed anything McAfee in 4 years, bug city.

What about OutPost, anything good on that one? The only other AV I've used that is excellent, but pricey is NOD32.

Tactics
Green Lantern
join:2001-03-29
Pinehurst, NC

Tactics

said by EmilioG:
Zone Alarm was giving me problems, so I booted it off all my PC's. McAfee, I haven't installed anything McAfee in 4 years, bug city.
I love McAfee and recommend it - works great and I've had every version. And with ZA when people can't get it to work they blame the program everytime it cracks me up. That's nonsense. Users fault 99% of the time IMO.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

2 recommendations

not quite right to afriend$

to afriend$
I think you need to stop worrying so much about Norton and find out what the heck is wrong with your computer.
not quite right

not quite right to afriend$

to afriend$
Sounds like you have a corupt registry. I bet every time you have reformated your drive you've reinstalled that same back-up of the reg. hence your problem reappears. This is just a guess, but I think it's time to bust out the ol' reg cleaner, and get to work.

afriend$

afriend$ to not quite right

to not quite right

a bad day

It has been a BAD DAY,1st to ALL thank u for the great help,, "JerBear1098" WOW THANK U THAT IS WAS 1 GREAT BIT OF INFOR, changed from 1 to 15 now,THANK U SO MUCH,making sure I copy that info,PLZ i KNOW WHAT AVG IS, using that, but what is ZAF ? ALSO IS THERE A LINK, ?
NOW then what has been going on,(PLZ SEE BELOW, (530 pm central,) & I am going to TRY 1 thing,THEN START FRESH TOMARROW, IF THIS DOSEN'T WORK
maybe my nortons is expired & NO ONE, (I called Microsoft TWICE,for windows,& SYMANTEC 3 times long distance,) has told me,never recieved any warnnings A'FRIEND"
===========================================================
HAVE BEEN DOING NOTHING BUT F DISK EVERYTIME I SHUT DOWN COMPUTER, (3 times today)CALLED NORTON,(5 TIMES),Microsoft twice,for windows,, anything more then basic firewall & computer screws up,GOING TO TRY & DOWNLOAD 2003 FIREWALL & ANTIVIRUS,(TRIAL) i EVEN ASKED NORTON/SYMANTEC if maybe my suvscription expired, give U an idea how "'smart" these people are, shiiiiiiiiii

i bought my Nortons 2002M about feb,March,2002,GOOD FOR A YEAR RIGHT????,well when I FDISK the computer I get another NEW YEAR,(U only pay for 1 year when u buy Norton) the 2 woman & 1 man tell me my Norton is good until 1/15/04,no joke like I'am suppose to believe THEY MADE A MISTAKE & are giving me an extra year, NOW HAVE-useing basic firewall then download trial versions, & see,a'friend" P,S,,,,so MAD TODAY,(jokingly) I could walk into Symantecs office & open a BIG CAN of TEXAS 'WUP Axx, hehehehehe

going to try 7 install trial ware from Norton,2003,(trial ware) see if that fix's it,

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
USA

jaykaykay

MVM

Make sure that you have completely uninstalled NAV as Randy Bell suggested with the sites he gave you. Somehow, it seems very suspicious about all the problems you're having and just adding more grist to the mill isn't going to help if the system is still fouled up. 2003 and/or any addition of anything else just might make matters worse. It does sound as if you have one heck of a mess somewhere.

Jerbear1098
Premium Member
join:2001-08-10
Redford, MI

Jerbear1098 to afriend$

Premium Member

to afriend$

Here you go,»www.zonelabs.com/store/c ··· age.y=13
Also try not to be so paranoid, A good firewall,antivirus and spyware removal tools is just the begining. Don't fall for polls that ask your location,your desktop image,ect.
Be careful what you download,and don't open email from people you don't know.
Jerbear1098

Jerbear1098 to afriend$

Premium Member

to afriend$
Afriend: Did you install and run Ad-aware 6.0? if so did you delete anything that it may have found?

afriend$

afriend$ to not quite right

to not quite right

FIXED FOR GOOD,,what Norton won't tell U

Click for full size
hello EVERYONE, 1st again a BIG THANK U for ALL YOUR HELP,I know it has been very frustrating ,,FINALLY AFTER MANY DAYS OF FRUSTRATION,(5 days of formating every time I rebooted,)TODAY FINALLY GOT THAT DAM sucker/problem fixed that top of this post,(I called Norton,Symantec (NOT ON THEIR 800 NOR THEIR 877 NUMBERS) left 2 post on their site asking for help-never getting a reply) A PROBLEM APPRENTLY NO ONE HAS EVER ENCOUNTERED & WHAT SYMANTEC/NORTON WILL NOT TELL YOU HOW TO FIX, ('IF U purchase the Newesy noton products it will fix that problem"") the h with that, not going to FORCE me to buy their product to fix a problem,I DID IT MY SELF,but I will say this whensymantec puts their product in they want to make sure U HAVE TO buy their product again & again,so they hide the product all over your computer,even when U 'try to uninstall', (I did for 3 yrs,& I THOUGHT & STILL THINK they have a great product(s) firewall,NAV, & utilities,)
HOW,
ok I FDISKED again ok, putting in my basic,windows 98
then I started a carefull selection of putting in all my other programs & files,spybots, spyware blaster, cookie wall, ect (avoiding all & everything that said NORTON or Symantec, then I rebooted
BOOM THERE THAT SAME PROBLEM AGAIN in orifnal post, ok "THERE GOT TO BE A WAY TO STOP THIS,"""
SHOULD ANYONE ELSE ENCOUNTER U WILL KNOW HOW TO FIX,

I unplugged my phone line from back of computer,
then i installed the 2002 norton utilities & ran
DISC DOCTOR to clean & fix everything up
then i ran WIN DOCTOR, it repaired then the uninstall utilities & after Norton utilities was removed rebooted, theres that problem,after computer reset on desktop, i put in the NAV2002 & installed it, then i immediate ran the ad/remove program,(with cd in) removed Norton, rebooted,
BAM part of problem fixed, after computer set itself up again I ran the Norton FIREWALL & then immediatedly ran uninstall, & rebooted,
and BOOM ALL PROBELM IS FIXED,
no more norton,symantec, ect computer now starts the way it is suppose to with all my programs,
now running trialware ZONE ALARM PRO & AVG antivirus,
and all my other reg programs,but it will be a long time befor i buy Norton again,AFTER THIS, but this happened to me as i said i still think they have a good product but the NEW sap called Tech aren't going to tell you how to fix something like this,