Kylemaul
Lovin' My Firefox
Premium Member
join:2001-03-30
Puyallup, WA

Kylemaul

Premium Member

Using USB & Ethernet on RCA 305

You can use both ports on this model of RCA only to connect 2 PCs. (As long as one of them is a 98SE+ Wintel machine.) The drivers necessary ship with the 305 on a CD provided with the modem. If you didn't get the CD with your modem, either request it from the entity you got the modem from (ISP or vendor) or, you may be able to request a CD from RCA. In my experience, the manual that comes with the modem is very vague, but in practical experience it doesn't seem to matter what order you hook the ports up. My recommendations: do the USB first, and do NOT hook both connections to a single PC.

Qumahlin
Never Enough Time
MVM
join:2001-10-05
united state

Qumahlin

MVM

Well why would you use both connections to one pc? It makes no sense. The whole point of the dual connections is so that you don't have to install a ethernet card if you don't have one, or if your ISP allows more then one IP addy you can hook two comps up

Kylemaul
Lovin' My Firefox
Premium Member
Puyallup, WA

Kylemaul

Premium Member

You'd be surprised (or maybe not) at how many trouble calls I've been out to because people try to connect both cables to one PC. Just adding clarification for those types.
IceT
join:2001-11-14
Waldorf, MD

IceT

I need help connecting the second computer. Do I have to install drivers on the modem that is connected thru the thernet port?

Kylemaul
Lovin' My Firefox
Premium Member
Puyallup, WA

Kylemaul

Premium Member

IceT, the answer to your question is 'no'. The drivers on the RCA CD are for the USB connection only. For the ethernet connection, you will want to use the drivers for whatever NIC (network interface card) you are using.
IceT
Waldorf, MD

IceT to Kylemaul

to Kylemaul
Ok, i tried connecting the second computer to the cable modem using the ethernet port but the internet connection is still not there. Do I have to manually adjust some settings or something? Do I have to turn the cable modem on and off again?

Jabbu
Premium Member
join:2002-03-06

Jabbu to Kylemaul

Premium Member

to Kylemaul
I think you would need an additional IP address from your ISP to use both USB and ethernet. Unless your ISP allows multiple IPs to be pulled from one modem.
IceT
Waldorf, MD

IceT

I see. Thanks for the help.

Makaio_88
@rockwd01.mi.comcast.

Makaio_88 to Kylemaul

Anon

to Kylemaul
Will this (using both ports) work for DCM235?

Kylemaul
Lovin' My Firefox
Premium Member
Puyallup, WA

Kylemaul

Premium Member

The only RCA cable modem model I know of so far (4/03) that is capable of simultaneously using both ports (USB & ethernet) is the DCM305/DCM305R. (The 'R' thing is if you have the retail version.) I would expect future models (e.g. DCM345, DCM415, etc.) of RCA cable modems to have this capability as well. (Unless RCA deems it necessary to build a super-cheapo model.)
Kylemaul

Kylemaul to Jabbu

Premium Member

to Jabbu
Thanks for chipping in Jabbu! I'm not entirely sure, but my guess is that requests for IPs are somehow related to how the CMTS at the head end is set up. I haven't tested the 2 PCs/1 cable modem thing since the ATTBI/Comcast switch..........

Jabbu
Premium Member

Jabbu to Kylemaul

Premium Member

to Kylemaul
I can speak for Adelphia Powerlink.

Unless you purchase additional ip addresses, the modem will only pull one, and this setup would not work.
The modem would need to be provisioned to take additional dynamics from the dhcp so the usb and ethernet can each have their own. The modem would then be like a hub.

greggp5555
@lib.mn.us

greggp5555 to Kylemaul

Anon

to Kylemaul
the cd cant find the drivers for the usb part of the modem so i cant get it to fully install what should i do?
and the rca and thompson websites dont have the drivers either

Jabbu
Premium Member

Jabbu to Kylemaul

Premium Member

to Kylemaul
»www.neotechcc.org/modems ··· /rca.htm
Jabbu

Jabbu to Kylemaul

Premium Member

to Kylemaul
Actually drivers can be found here for the rca 305

»www.rca.com/content/view ··· ,00.html

Kylemaul
Lovin' My Firefox
Premium Member
Puyallup, WA

Kylemaul

Premium Member

Excellent references and links Jabbu! Thanks again!