uniqs
share rss forum feed

boomerbubba

join:2001-06-15
Austin, TX

reply to gyrfalcon3

Re: Hex WEP Generator (Passphrase)

said by gyrfalcon3:
Very cool... What operating system are you using and does your script enter them into the registry directly or via someother process?
My environment consists of several wired computers and one wireless laptop, all running Win2K. The router is a Linksys BEFW11S4 (to be replaced someday), and the wireless client card is ORiNOCO.

The outline of the process works like this:

•Using a program that calls the Windows CryptoAPI for random bytes, I generate a binary file sufficiently long to store many sets of WEP keys.

•That file is stored securely on a wired computer (call it the server) and the laptop (call it the client).

•Both the client and the server store a single integer registry entry, which denotes the nth WEP key in the file.

•A simple service runs on the server machine, listening for a command from the client. I use a named pipe, but almost any form of interprocess communication would work, even just a flag file.

•Whenever I'm at the laptop and nothing is going on over the network at the moment, I click to change WEP keys.

•The server detects the command, increments the counter in its registry, reads the nth WEP key from the file and converts it to hex.

•The server updates the WEP key on the router by sending the appropriately formed URL to the Linksys' embedded http server. The Linksys executes the command and cycles itself, which takes several seconds. During this time, the router is offline.

•Meanwhile, the client machine increments its own registry entry, reads the nth WEP key from the file, etc.

•The client changes the key on the ORiNOCO card, driving it via the Windows ScriptIt utility. I resorted to ScriptIt, a freebie download from MS that is actually a bare-bones runtime of WinBatch, because I couldn't find an elegant API for the ORiNOCO.

•Done. When the router is back online, both sides are using the new WEP key.

Obviously, this might not scale very well. But it works fine for my small network. Someday, when the industry provides better standards, I can scrap this process.
--
A good lock will keep an honest man out.

[text was edited by author 2003-03-14 17:58:48]