uniqs

bellgamin
Kachunga
Premium Member
join:2003-01-12
Ewa Beach, HI

bellgamin

Premium Member

Thanks C-Jane -- Trojan Remover is aces!

Thanks to a post by Calamity Jane on another thread, I decided to test Trojan Remover. The test is well underway and, thus far, I am totally satisfied with this program.

The updater works smooth as silk. So far, data base updates have been happening daily, with never a hitch. Also, the program itself went from ver. 4.9.9 to 5.0.0 -- here again the program's integrated update worked perfectly.

The scan speed is VERY fast in the default scan mode. It was a bit slower when I asked it to do a *special-request* scan of a certain very large directory, but still finished the job in about 20 minutes. [Be aware that my beloved old PB box runs at only 233 mHz.]

TR's Help files are excellent but I didn't really need them. The program is very easy to understand. I have some time left on the trial period, during which I am fervently seeking an objective review of BOclean -- the only alternative to TR that I am interested in.

If anyone has a link to such a review, or comments to offer based on actual experience with TR &/or BOclean, please let me know.

Thanks C-Jane for putting me onto this superb AT!

shaloha.........bellgamin

Randy Bell
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24
Santa Clara, CA

Randy Bell

Premium Member

I don't have such a link, other than this older study: »www.techsupportalert.com ··· jans.htm

and there are also Eric Howes' (now aged) studies:

Informal Trojan Test #1
Informal Trojan Test #2

Also, it's hard to compare BOClean with other ATs because it doesn't have a manual on-demand scanner; it is purely resident scanner. But it has an excellent reputation; John2g See Profile and several other forum members use it. :)

bellgamin
Kachunga
Premium Member
Ewa Beach, HI

bellgamin

Premium Member

Thanks, Randy. The techsupportalert link I already had, but the 2 Howes links were new to me, & very informative to boot, although [as you indicated] a bit outdated.

It's interesting to me that there are a number of sites that offer data relative to reviews/tests of AV software, whereas reviews/tests of AT software are relatively scarce. I wonder why?

aloha & mabuhay......bellgamin

CalamityJane
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Eustis, FL

CalamityJane

Premium Member

Hi bellgamin

Glad to hear it! The best feature of Trojan Remover to me is the ability to take care of any trojan completely meaning the user does not have to follow lengthly instructions for removal or manually edit the system files and the Registry. I found it a very effective tool to use on infected systems and as an on-demand scanner. I use it to scan any new files alongside my AV. So far I have been lucky not to have an unexpected nasty sneak in here, but my friends & acquaintances are another matter. TR makes a easy task of cleaning up an infected system. I liked it so well bought it myself as it is nice little program that plays nicely on my system, as you have found on yours.

BO clean, as Randy explained, works entirely differently. Check with John2g See Profile and jaykaykay See Profile who both have BO Clean and are happy with that one.

I gave up on the reviews out there to help me make my decisions on AV or AT choices. Your system may or may not like any particular program depending on many factors - it is best to check out a handful that look to meet your needs and then TRY them. Test them out and see what works best for you because *best* is a subjective term for everyone.

Good luck in your search!

John2g
Qui Tacet Consentit
Premium Member
join:2001-08-10
England

1 recommendation

John2g to bellgamin

Premium Member

to bellgamin

BOClean

BOClean is an excellent product. It differs from the rest in that it is purely a memory scanner: this will probably be a feature in the next build. It has a very small footprint and uses very little resources. BOClean 4.1 is just 226KB

For the first time (that I know of) I had a trojan on my machine this week. As with many applications, I checked it before running it with NAV: "no infection found". I ran it and before you could say "Jack Robinson" the application had vanished from my Explorer view. BOClean had detected it, removed it and my system was clean without ANY imput from me.

It has the advantage that all updates are free, and the support from NSClean is second to none. I have known them to write a version of BOClean specific to one customer, who had a problem. Mail is responded to in hours.

There are few applications that I have bought, that I have NEVER once regretted buying. One is BOClean and the other was AtGuard.

bellgamin
Kachunga
Premium Member
Ewa Beach, HI

bellgamin

Premium Member

John2g & CJ -- many many thanks. Your reviews will give my board all they info they need to reach a decision.

May God bless and prosper you both.

bellissimo