share rss forum feed

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Premium,Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South
kudos:1

[request] More than 50 matches in the forum search/

When you do a forum search you are limited to the first 50 matches. How about allowing you to expand to more than 50 matches?

The green amphibian guy mjf See Profile thought my asking if you could search more than 50 matches was a "good question", so I post it here to see what others think, »Forum Search

Scott
Premium
join:2002-09-30
Indianapolis, IN

Re: More than 50 matches in the forum search/

**sign**
I like viewing at 100.

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
join:2001-06-27
Atlanta, GA
kudos:2
reply to skj

It needs a next 50... next 50..

The way it is makes it impossible to search for old threads and posts.

Unless there is a way to search for the date... hmmm..

But there is no wildcard or regular expression, so it is tricky unless you know the exact date, because once you get the found post, there is no forward and back capability.
--
Apple is trying to make the most usable machine available. MS is trying to kill everyone who opposes them and turn everything into a consistently growing revenue stream. One exploits technology; the other exploits the end user. -- Amorph

mjf
" "
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-05
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3

2 recommendations

reply to skj

*sign*

Any improvement would be great. Perhaps using a range of dates e.g. 04/01/2002 to 06/01/2002 could be implemented.

trinity0
Premium
join:2002-11-10
UK
reply to skj

constant source of frustration... especially when 30 posts in a query result are from say just two threads.

obviously *sign*

since the search feature is still being improved upon though perhaps its just a matter of time.
--
"be careful of the toes you step on today, they may be connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow"

eightyone x
Premium
join:2002-05-28
reply to skj

*sign* also more search filters would help in common word searches

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
reply to skj

*Sign*
Great idea!

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
join:2001-10-14
Canada
reply to skj

I *sign*

Optimized
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2004-13
join:2001-05-03
Ringwood, NJ
reply to mjf

said by mjf:
*sign*

Any improvement would be great. Perhaps using a range of dates e.g. 04/01/2002 to 06/01/2002 could be implemented.
Ditto ... I'm with mjf on this

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
join:2001-06-27
Atlanta, GA
reply to skj

Using particular words or phrases that you KNOW are in the sought-after thread doesn't work either, because they almost always contain "stop" words that get ignored. Once you remove the stop word, the remaining words make no sense as a phrase and match a gazillion threads.

Example: Say I want to find an old thread that I KNOW the title contains the phrase "Linksys with overclocking". If I try that phrase, the search engine will kick out the word "with" as a stop word. The remaining two words (Linksys and overclocking) then are so common (any post that talks about a router and a CPU and uses those words anywhere in the post) that they generate 1300 matches and the first 50 matches, of course, do not contain the thread I wanted.

Google can handle this - quote marks search for the exact phrase. But DSLR does not let the Google spider index DSLR. Back to square one.
--
Apple is trying to make the most usable machine available. MS is trying to kill everyone who opposes them and turn everything into a consistently growing revenue stream. One exploits technology; the other exploits the end user. -- Amorph

aaron2486
Premium
join:2001-12-01
Altoona, PA
reply to skj

*sign*
50 just isn't enough

Jaime
Premium
join:2001-06-03
Huntington Beach, CA
reply to skj

*sign* I really hate trying to figuring out more *key words* when searching for a thread. Sometimes I can only remember 2 or 3 words from a post but those three words are common. Maybe a radio button on how many matches you want to show up ie: 50, 75, 100
--
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
--Benjamin Franklin

arggem
Done With D.U.N.
Premium
join:2002-09-21
Argentina
reply to skj

Re: More than 50 matches -- HERE AT LAST??

I just did a search and got 89 forum topics and 101 forum posts!

Thanks Justin!

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Premium,Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South

1 recommendation

I just did the same and it looks like the search function is expanded to 101 matches. Nice to see that in posting here that we all can make a difference.

trinity0
Premium
UK
reply to skj

Re: More than 50 matches in the forum search/

another happy camper... 101 topics! mucho appreciation... thanks justin...
--
"be careful of the toes you step on today, they may be connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow"

mjf
" "
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-05
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3

The new Intro Search 101 course!

djchas
Chaz
Premium
join:2000-03-16
Yardley, PA
reply to skj

** SIGN **

trinity0
Premium
UK

Here At Last :)

said by djchas:
** SIGN **
count back a few posts ?!
--