MVM
join:2001-08-31
Silver Spring, MD

6 recommendations

Meteor Dive

MVM

RASPPPOE Setup for AOL

For Windows 9x/ME Setup:

At this point, insert your Win9x/ME CD in the drive for it will prompt for one at the end of this setup

To start, get your copy of RASPPPOE here at its official home page:

»user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~normanb/

Unzip the file into it's own folder.

»/r0/do ··· rd01.jpg

Now go to Start >> Settings >> Control Panel

»/r0/do ··· rd02.jpg

Now go on and double-click on Network

»/r0/do ··· rd03.jpg

In this network property, click Add

»/r0/do ··· rd04.jpg

Select Protocol And click OK

»/r0/do ··· rd05.jpg

In this window, click Have Disk...

»/r0/do ··· rd06.jpg

On the early OSs, it tends to look through the floppy drives (A:\ drive). Once this window appears click on Browse...

»/r0/do ··· rd07.jpg

Browse through your drive and point to the folder where you unzipped RASPPPOE. Three .inf files should appear. Select any one of them and click OK

»/r0/do ··· rd08.jpg

And just go ahead and click OK

»/r0/do ··· rd09.jpg

This window should appear. And from this point on, click OK

Windows will go ahead and complete the setup. It will access the CD-ROM for other necessary files. If the CD is not loaded, it prompt you to do so.

Then restart the computer.

After booting up the computer, go into your network properties again.

»/r0/do ··· rd10.jpg

Your Network list should look something like this.

By default, the protocol sets MTU to 1492. Under AOL conditions, this will become a problem. No worry though. Now we are going to setup the MTU here. Remember that AOL only operates with an MTU Value of 1400

»/r0/do ··· rd19.jpg

Under all the bindings with PPP over Ethernet Protocol, select the Adapter or NIC that is associated with your ADSL Modem. The properties window for the PPPoE will show up.

»/r0/do ··· rd12.jpg

In this window, place a check on the box with the option Overwrite Maximum Transfer Unit and type in 1400. Then Click OK

Now to start getting the service running.

»/r0/do ··· rd13.jpg

Go to Start >> Run

»/r0/do ··· rd14.jpg

In the dialogue box type inRASPPPOE And click OK

»/r0/do ··· rd15.jpg

This setup window should appear. From here, click on the button Query Available Services

»/r0/do ··· rd16.jpg

Upon querying your services, a list should will be provided in similar fashion above. Now click on the button Create a Dial-up Connection for the selected Adapter. You'll see that a dial-up shortcut will be created on your desktop. Then click Exit

»/r0/do ··· rd17.jpg

From here, you can rename the dial-up shortcut if you wish. Here I renamed it as AOL DSL. That's obvious eh? Now double click on the dial-up shortcut

»/r0/do ··· rd18.jpg

And this is it All you have to do now is type in your username and password. Remember to type your login name as yourscreenname@aol.com. Then click Connect!

ChrisJT
Premium Member
join:2001-12-20
Torrance, CA

ChrisJT

Premium Member

Yet again, another great manual from MD.

Meteor Dive
MVM
Silver Spring, MD

3 recommendations

Meteor Dive

MVM

For Windows 2k/XP Setup:

To start, get your copy of RASPPPOE here at its official home page:

»user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~normanb/

Unzip the file into it's own folder.

»/r0/do ··· age1.jpg

Now to install RASPPPOE, go into your Control Panel and double-click on Network Connections.

»/r0/do ··· age3.jpg

Now in your Network Connections window, select the network setting that is connection to your modem or the adapter your modem is using.

»/r0/do ··· age6.jpg

Next, right-click the selection and click on Properties. On this next window go ahead and click on Install

»/r0/do ··· age9.jpg

In this next window, select Protocol and click Add

»/r0/do ··· ge10.jpg

In the next window, go ahead and click Have Disk...

»/r0/do ··· ge12.jpg

In this next window, you'll be prompted to locate the files needed to install the protocol. Click Browse...

»/r0/do ··· ge13.jpg

Begin searching for the folder that contains the RASPPPOE file. I originally saved it onto my desktop so that it's easier to find. Once found, double-click the folder.

»/r0/do ··· ge15.jpg

Select RASPPPOE.INF and Open it. (It doesn't matter which one choose, actually, since XP will choose the right component later. This is just to get you going).

»/r0/do ··· ge16.jpg

Once your search for the file is done, click OK

»/r0/do ··· ge19.jpg

You'll receive another prompt where it lists the device you want to install. Select PPP over Ethernet Protocol. During installation, a window Hardware Installation may come up several times (typically four times per installed network adapter), warning you that the driver has no digital signature or Windows Logo. Make sure you click Continue Anyway every time you are prompted to allow successful installation of the protocol.

»/r0/do ··· ge20.jpg

You should now have PPP over Ethernet Protocol installed in that window.
Select it and close the window.

»/r0/do ··· xp10.png

Now click Start >> Run

»/r0/do ··· xp11.png

In the dialogue box type RASPPPOE

»/r0/do ··· xp16.png

Click on the button Query Available Services. Once your are provided the list, click on the button Create a Dial-up Connection for the selected Adapter. Then click Exit.

A dial-up shortcut will be created in your network connections as shown in the picture below:

»/r0/do ··· xp13.png

It'd be a convenient if you copy this shortcut onto your desktop.

Now double click on the dial-up shortcut.

»/r0/do ··· xp15.png

This is it. All you have to do now is to type in your username and password. Remember to type your username as yourscreenname@aol.com. And click Dial!

Metal Head
Premium Member
join:2001-02-15
Escondido, CA

Metal Head

Premium Member

Awesome job Meteor Dive!!!!!! Im connected to the internet without the AOL client running, using these instruction on my Win98se box. Once again AWESOME JOB!!!!!!!
c dogg2
join:2003-03-04
Los Angeles, CA

c dogg2 to Meteor Dive

to Meteor Dive
oky every thing is going great but now it says,"windows was unable to find the right drivers for this device.If you have a disk that contains the updated driver or you wish to search in another location click okay." what do i do now????
c dogg2

c dogg2

omg nvm that stupid question i fixed it and now IT WORKS!!!!!! THANX A CAJILLION!!!!!!!!! U FIXED MY LAGGGGGG MAN!!!!! I DONT LAGG WHEN I PLAY GAMES NEMORE!!!!!!!! THANK U THANK U THANK U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!U THA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Token4
Trip Hop
Premium Member
join:2002-07-13
USA

Token4 to Meteor Dive

Premium Member

to Meteor Dive
Thank you so much! I got rid of my 300 ping and now I'm getting like 70 much better no more lag while playing games. I don't have alot of memory so it would eat up my resources. Thank you
Token4

Token4 to Meteor Dive

Premium Member

to Meteor Dive
Nevermind it was the servers
[text was edited by author 2003-03-22 16:48:12]

Metal Head
Premium Member
join:2001-02-15
Escondido, CA

Metal Head to Meteor Dive

Premium Member

to Meteor Dive
Can someone make this a sticky?
WheelMan6
join:2002-10-12
Stockbridge, GA

WheelMan6 to Meteor Dive

to Meteor Dive
I'm running Win2K, used the appropriate instructions, and now everything's running beautifully. Thanks, Meteor!
CSManiac
join:2002-05-22
Ithaca, NY

CSManiac

Worked beautifully, I never thought id see the day when i could aol dsl without aol. WOW!!

WellDuh
@aol.com

WellDuh

Anon

I have tried using this method in WinME (unfortunately) with my cable modem. No dice.

Does it even work with a cable modem or no?
And if it does, could someone help me figure out how the hell to get it to.

Meteor Dive
MVM
Silver Spring, MD

Meteor Dive

MVM

said by WellDuh:
I have tried using this method in WinME (unfortunately) with my cable modem. No dice.

Does it even work with a cable modem or no?
And if it does, could someone help me figure out how the hell to get it to.
The PPPoE method only applies to DSL.

We haven't find out a way to connect through cable as of yet.
H0LLYW000D
join:2002-03-11
Reseda, CA

H0LLYW000D

^^^^ Sweeet thanks for the info man Anyone ever find a simple way to get xbox live working with aol yet?

edit: Also would this mean I could Use my PS2 using ICS now? I have a second network card and want to finally use my PS2 and Xbox toplay game online but don't want to go through a whole lot of trouble trying to get it done :|
[text was edited by author 2003-03-23 06:08:54]
H0LLYW000D

H0LLYW000D

Holly @#$@ :O just installed it and it freaking works without AOL running Now I have to see if it works with the PS2?

Meteor Dive
MVM
Silver Spring, MD

Meteor Dive

MVM

You should be able to conduct ICS just fine. Have the computer connect without the AOL client and have your PS2 attempt to access online.
H0LLYW000D
Reseda, CA

H0LLYW000D

^^^ ok Soo i run my cross over cable to my PS2 and them Turn ICS on for that network card? or do i just plug it in and see if it works? cause right now its not working for me

Sorry Ive never gotten it to work

Meteor Dive
MVM
Silver Spring, MD

Meteor Dive

MVM

You did setup ICS correct? You made sure that you selected the NIC (or Dial-up adapter is your using Win98se/ME) that would be accessing the net correct?
H0LLYW000D
Reseda, CA

H0LLYW000D

I got the One networked card setup the way you showed above in Winxp and the second network card(linksys) I checked the allow all other internet user to connect to this computer Box (ICS)?

Also after I installed everything and rebooted my computer, everything started up real slow and i couldnt click on anything or close anything? it was like i got a virus but didnt? For now i can sign on and post here, but dont know if my computer will act up again like that

eidt: Also when i run the connection test? it fails? Also Am I supposed to setup ICS settings? because if soo which one do i choose?
[text was edited by author 2003-03-23 07:36:41]

[text was edited by author 2003-03-23 07:42:07]

Meteor Dive
MVM
Silver Spring, MD

Meteor Dive

MVM

Let's see if everything is set.

Open the Network and Dial-up Connections folder. Then right click the Internet connection that you want to share and select Properties. Click the Advanced tab, then check "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection."

Also note that since your have another NIC there, you provided with a drop down. Choose the appropriate adapter that will be used to share the internet connection. Then just click.

And that should be it.

Connect with your computer online (pppoe), and try again with your PS2
H0LLYW000D
Reseda, CA

H0LLYW000D

ok soo i turn ICS on for the network card that is connectiong the PS2 to PC or to the dailup adaptor i just setup to use the net with out the AOL software?

Sorry Its late/early and networking isnt my think Ill be back tommrrow to get this thing working.....

thanks

Well_Duh
@aol.com

Well_Duh

Anon

Oh, damn. Only DSL?

Bugger!

Hopefully AOL will make a 'lite' version of their software sometime soon.

If AOL uses the same lines as RR, is it possible to rig it as a RR customer?

From what I know some domains are allowed to be accessed w/o AOL open, such as...
»www.aroundcentralflorida.com/

It it possible to fake an AOL connection to access all domains and IPs?

Meteor Dive
MVM
Silver Spring, MD

Meteor Dive to H0LLYW000D

MVM

to H0LLYW000D
I just don't get what goes wrong? I did what I stated just yesterday with an XP computer at my friends house and he's running fine over there.

Hollywoood, to make things less painful in the long run then why don't you get yourself a router? In case you tend to network a few computer on the connection.
H0LLYW000D
Reseda, CA

H0LLYW000D

[QUOTE=Meteor Dive See ProfileHollywoood, to make things less painful in the long run then why don't you get yourself a router? In case you tend to network a few computer on the connection.[/QUOTE]

I would, But I really strapped for cash right now Also if i did get a router, would i be able to network both my PS2 and Xbox online? or is the xbox still not able to get online using aol thru the RASPPPOE Setup?

Meteor Dive
MVM
Silver Spring, MD

Meteor Dive

MVM

said by H0LLYW000D:

I would, But I really strapped for cash right now Also if i did get a router, would i be able to network both my PS2 and Xbox online? or is the xbox still not able to get online using aol thru the RASPPPOE Setup?
No no no, there's no need to use protocals when it's done on the hardware. Everything is done on the hardware. After setting up the hardware, it will connect itself online. Any computer connected connected to the router will have instant access to the net. Connect both your Xbox and and PS2 on the available ports. That's it.

Hey Hollywoood, if you really want to start playing now connect your PS2 or Xbox directly with the modem and input the data that you used on the PPPoE (username, password, e.t.c.) and you should be able to connect just fine
Hey
[text was edited by author 2003-03-23 17:34:19]
H0LLYW000D
Reseda, CA

H0LLYW000D

said by Meteor Dive:
said by H0LLYW000D:

No no no, there's no need to use protocals when it's done on the hardware. Everything is done on the hardware. After setting up the hardware, it will connect itself online. Any computer connected connected to the router will have instant access to the net. Connect both your Xbox and and PS2 on the available ports. That's it.

Hey Hollywoood, if you really want to start playing now connect your PS2 or Xbox directly with the modem and input the data that you used on the PPPoE (username, password, e.t.c.) and you should be able to connect just fine
Hey
[text was edited by author 2003-03-23 17:34:19]

cool thanks Tried plugging modem in to xbox and PS2 and it worked But its a pain in the ass having to un hook and rehook the cbles back up afterwards.....

Still want to get ICS working but for some reason it never works for me any info you can give me to get it working? or a walk thru of some kind?

edit: Also would i be able to get a cheap hub and be able to use that with the aol thru RASPPPOE Setup? and if soo what cables would i need to hook the xbox and PS2 up with? I'm guessing rj45 cable but am not sure....
[text was edited by author 2003-03-23 18:22:29]

crickplayer
join:2003-01-28

crickplayer to H0LLYW000D

to H0LLYW000D
It's nice to see someone came up with a way to connect to the net without using AOL.

JosephStalin
join:2002-08-08
Springfield, MA

JosephStalin to Meteor Dive

to Meteor Dive
I can't get it to work, can someone help?
I have Windows 2000. I use Broadband Blaster modem. I have a Siemens Speedstream PCI 10/100 Ethernet Card.

I noticed that my control panel does not include Network. Instead, it has something called Network and Dial-Up Connections...
When I open that, inside you see Make New Connection, America Online, and Local Area Network.

Anyways, I installed the PPP over Ethernet protocol thing. Then I open up RASPPPOE, but here's what i see:
Siemens Speedstream PCI 10/100, and the bar is greyed out...
When I do a query, I get:
62031110019968-nycmny1-bc1sr7
62031110019968-nycmny1-bc1sr7
WTF is that????

Here's the error I get when I try to log in:
Error 691: Access was denied because the username and/or password was invalid on the demain.

Can someone help me out?
JosephStalin

JosephStalin to Meteor Dive

to Meteor Dive
Nevermind, I got it to work! Wheelman was right, you have to make sure that the screename you are using for PPOE is not the same as the screename you are currently using on the AOL Client.
Hehe, it's working nicely.

Kleg
@64.107.x.x

Kleg to Meteor Dive

Anon

to Meteor Dive
I'm not at home now. I want to know why can't I reach some sites on IE or Netscape that I can on the AOL browser? One I can think of now is google.com it just times out or something.