Teriwyn
Neko Girl
Premium Member
join:2002-06-06
Germantown, MD

Teriwyn

Premium Member

[CATV] Question about port on DCT.

Getting ready to move, so I unhooked my Motorola DCT today. I looked at the model number and it was something like DCT2242, but I don't remember anymore. (Can check again if it's important to my question.)

Anyhow, I noticed on the back that there was a piece of coax about 6-8 inches long that connected to two ports on the box. The label etched into the metal of the back of the box was all but worn off, however I think one port said RF IN, and the other was unlabeled.

Why was the coax looped like that? Was this a "terminator" for a second RF input? (Such as with systems that have a dual cable system, A side and B side?)

Just curious and figured one of the field technicians who hang out here might know for sure. Above is my theory, though.

makaze6
join:2002-01-04

makaze6

I think it's for cable systems that have an A and a B cable.

most systems that dont have it like that just use them as handles to grab the box (no joke)
cablejoe
join:2002-01-15
Las Vegas, NV

cablejoe to Teriwyn

to Teriwyn
YEAH!!!! I'm all ABOUT that!!!!! It's about time somebody starting talking about the good stuff!

Oh, wait...I misread the subject line....

you were asking about PORT on the DCT....

Port...with a T.

my mistake.

Teriwyn
Neko Girl
Premium Member
Germantown, MD

Teriwyn

Premium Member

said by cablejoe:
YEAH!!!! I'm all ABOUT that!!!!! It's about time somebody starting talking about the good stuff!

Oh, wait...I misread the subject line....

you were asking about PORT on the DCT....

Port...with a T.

my mistake.

Come on, cablejoe See Profile, we all know the internet is much better than cable for that other stuff you're talking about.

beerbum
Premium Member
join:2000-05-06
behind you..
Motorola MB8600
ARRIS TG862
Asus RT-AC5300

beerbum to Teriwyn

Premium Member

to Teriwyn

it's there in place of the rf bypass switch.. leave it on and don't damage it because the box will not work without it.

and yes it does make for a nice handle, but too often the cheap rg-59 that jumper is made with will get damaged.

on the newer dct 5100 the loop isn't needed because they come with the bypass switch installed.

Teriwyn
Neko Girl
Premium Member
Germantown, MD

Teriwyn

Premium Member

RF bypass switch? Anywhere I can get more information on what this is and why it's needed? Pure curiousity, here.

And I'm not gonna do anything to it. I just had never noticed it, since when the cable was installed, there was a spot for the box in the entertainment center and the tech put it there. I never had a reason to really look at the back of the box.

beerbum
Premium Member
join:2000-05-06
behind you..

1 recommendation

beerbum

Premium Member

should be explained on..

»gicout60.gic.gi.com/cust ··· 01-a.pdf