share rss forum feed

Starfish
Per Ardua Ad Astra
ExMod 2002-04
join:2000-12-28
Netherlands

1 recommendation

Introduction of a new project: Lifemapper

Recently laffalot See Profile told me about a relatively new DC project that he found:

Lifemapper

Intrigued by the name I went to the site...

What is Lifemapper?

First of all:

LifeMapper is a project by the "Informatics Biodiversity Research Center" from the University of Kansas.

quote:

By using Lifemapper as your computer's screen saver, you will help discover knowledge of the life of the planet for the benefit of the Earth, its inhabitants and its environments.

While running as your screen saver, Lifemapper will compute, map and provide knowledge of:

• where Earth's species of plants and animals live
• where Earth's species of plants and animals could potentially live
• where and how Earth's species of plants and animals could spread across different regions of the world

Together, you and other Lifemappers will assemble a powerful, predictive electronic atlas of Earth's biological diversity.

This sounded very interesting to me, so a few minutes later I was downloading the client.

How does LifeMapper do this?
quote:

It uses the Internet and leading-edge information technology to retrieve records of millions of plants and animals in the world's natural history museums. Lifemapper analyzes the data, computes the ecological profile of each species, maps where the species has been found and predicts where each species could potentially live.

The research that developed Lifemapper was supported by the National Science Foundation, the US government agency that supports all basic research and education in non-medical science.

How can/will the results be used?

quote:

For biodiversity research, education and conservation worldwide, especially to forecast environmental events and inform public policy with leading-edge science.

For example, using Lifemapper's predictions of animal and plant distributions

• Researchers will be able to model and simulate the spread of emerging diseases, plant and animal pests, or invasive species of plants and animals and their effects on natural resources, agricultural crops and human populations.

• Environmental scientists will be able to model and predict the effects of local, regional or global climate change on Earth's species of plants and animals.
Land planners and policy-makers will be able to identify the highest priority areas for biodiversity conservation.

• Teachers, students and the public will be able to discover and map their backyard biodiversity and how it might be affected by changes in rainfall or temperature or by the spread of other species.

Humans have explored the life of the planet for the past 250 years. That knowledge is documented by millions of original specimens of plants and animals in the world's natural history museums and herbaria. Become a Lifemapper and help science use this knowledge to better understand and conserve Earth's biological diversity. Become a Lifemapper and help science inform environmental solutions for Earth's biological diversity.

Together with a few others, I have ran the client for a while. Some experienced a few bugs..others have had no problems so far.

This is because the project (and it's client) are still in a Beta phase .. they can certainly use some help however!

Now the big question is:

Do we want to rise up to this challenge to help this project further?

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2000-10-05
Seaside, CA
I'd like to add that, for the most part, these work units crunch pretty fast! On the faster systems you can go through units in as little as about 15-20 minutes, on P3-800's they take about 45 minutes to 2 hours...

They currently have a couple known bugs running the client on NT 4 and are hopefully going to get a Linux client out at some point in the future...

- FM
--
DCExec Member, Member of 'StarFire Seven' & Undisputed BBR Karaoke Champion!

BBR_InsUW
NF or CoH thats my Game
Premium,Mod
join:2000-04-22
La Mesa, CA
I have it running on 3 systems right now
1 is P4 1.7ghz on NT 4
2 is XP 2400 on Win XP Home
3 is XP 1800 on Win XP Home

So far no issues at all and have completed 178 species

Edward
--
Will you HELP a Crunche GROW ... Look for me on America's Army online, Want to Join

babacher
sleep apnea sucks
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-28
Greenwood, IN
kudos:1

reply to Starfish
I have it running on a 1.3 MHz AMD Athlon.

It takes about 40 minutes per WU.

edit: OS is Windows 2000.
[text was edited by author 2003-04-28 17:13:45]

laffalot
Crunch Tsc
Premium,ExMod2004-7
join:2002-03-27
Scotland

1 recommendation

reply to Starfish
Never tried the project myself yet but thought that some members here might be interested in it with the strong base of eco clickers, so passed the link onto starfish.

Would just like to give credit to Bionic__Redneck for bringing this new project to my attention at another forum.

Crunch on to all who try this new project!
--
Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do.

overhill
Judd
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-03
Miami, FL

1 recommendation

reply to Starfish
I gave the project a try and have a couple observations.

1) I began getting a generic error that kept shutting down the program. This error only occurred when new species data was being downloaded. After being stumped for a while, I found that by disabling "The Proximitron" (a program) the problems go away. This program acts as a proxy server to clean up web pages as they are downloaded. The only place that I have this program listed as my proxy server is in Internet Explorer. So, Lifemapper must be retrieving its proxy settings from IE. Hopefully a work-a-round can be implemented for this.

2) I have been having some priority issues as well. The client starts up with Normal priority and seems to slow down nearly everything on my W2K computer. When I manually use Task Manager to change the priority to Low, things improve a lot. However, I have just recently noticed that the client automatically kicks its priority back up to Normal when a new species is downloaded. This constant priority switching can be a big pain, so I will be writing KU to request some type of program option regarding this.

I just thought that I would share my experiences so far. It seems like a very cool project, and one that should have some very interesting results pop out very quickly!!

Crunch on...
--
A wise man once said: "Join Team Starfire!!"

DoLeMiTe
My Dixie Wrecked
Premium
join:2001-01-11
Pitcairn, PA
reply to Starfish
Sounds like a nice project to try out. By chance, do you know if they will be making a Mac version of this?
--
fsck -you

ScottMo
Once in a Lifetime
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-15
Stony Brook, NY

I beleive they are working on getting a Linux & a Mac client out ASAP.

Its still a small project - 412 users overall. BBR, as a team, is in 14th place even though most of us started 2-3 days ago.

Using a XP1700+ with Win2K. No issues so far.
[text was edited by author 2003-04-29 07:05:42]

lifemapper

join:2003-04-29

1 recommendation

Hi from Lifemapper

Hi All!
Thanks for trying out Lifemapper project!

Our usage is going up lately: »www.lifemapper.org/lm-individual···hart.htm

Please check out other things we are doing. We are not only about the Distributed Computing. We also about Distributed Data Services. Read on about how we collect data to feed into our clients. What we do with those data. Try "Lifemapper" in Google search.

Thanks again, Lifemapper.

lifemapper

Just posted google search for convenience here: »www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=U···e+Search

Digibits
Premium
join:2000-09-02
The Hilltop

1 recommendation

reply to Starfish

Re: Introduction of a new project: Lifemapper

Installed Lifemapper on Windows XP, and it is running flawlessly.

Am very interested in this project due to it's Ecology focus.
--
Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Starfish
Per Ardua Ad Astra
ExMod 2002-04
Netherlands
reply to Starfish
FYI:

There is a group/team called BBR

Digibits
Premium
join:2000-09-02
The Hilltop
reply to Starfish
after running about 12 hours and completing 23 species, my only complaint is that I've spent about 2 hours of the time waiting to connect to the server to get new species.

Seems like completed work goes out with no problem but the program will often go into a 5 minute wait mode to get a new species to work on.

As fast as this program is running on my computer, a queue of work to be done would a real plus.
--
Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Starfish
Per Ardua Ad Astra
ExMod 2002-04
Netherlands

said by Digibits:

As fast as this program is running on my computer, a queue of work to be done would a real plus.

Coincidently, I just sent that very suggestion via the feedback form on their website about 1~2 hours ago.

A work cache, just like the RC5 or TSC clients for example would be a fantastic improvement!

edit: typo
[text was edited by author 2003-04-30 07:19:28]

Gargoyle
Premium,MVM,ExMod 2004-07
join:2000-12-29
Planet X
reply to Starfish
I read through their website and I can only find a screensaver version ... is there a "console" version (sorry, I only do F@H right now .) I would be interested in joining you all on this project if there is one.
--
I fold for PFW -=- some of us on IRC

Starfish
Per Ardua Ad Astra
ExMod 2002-04
Netherlands
said by Gargoyle:
I read through their website and I can only find a screensaver version ... is there a "console" version (sorry, I only do F@H right now .) I would be interested in joining you all on this project if there is one.

At the moment there is no console version. However, this is something I suggested as well in the feedback I've mailed this very morning

Lol..we're really thinking about the same issues here

BBR_InsUW
NF or CoH thats my Game
Premium,Mod
join:2000-04-22
La Mesa, CA

1 recommendation

I downloaded the Program and when it asked to install the screensaver I said no and after it started I just set it to run full time.

Edward

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-27
Springfield, VA
kudos:2
reply to Starfish
I was reading their download and installation instructions last night and it looked like it might be usable without the screen saver, but it was not perfectly clear. That certainly gives it more potential.
--
Team Endeavor

Gargoyle
Planet X
reply to BBR_InsUW
I just d/l'ed it and installed ... and said 'no' to screensaver ... went in and changed the default setting to run in the background ... seems to have started just fine ... will let you know how it goes ... and I joined the BBR team
--

Watching in silence
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Aurora, CO
said by Gargoyle:
I just d/l'ed it and installed ... and said 'no' to screensaver ... went in and changed the default setting to run in the background ... seems to have started just fine ... will let you know how it goes ... and I joined the BBR team

Did the same here. Looks to be a pretty cool project.
--
Too much time on my hands, I got you on my mind.

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2000-10-05
Seaside, CA
reply to grobinette
said by grobinette:
I was reading their download and installation instructions last night and it looked like it might be usable without the screen saver, but it was not perfectly clear. That certainly gives it more potential.

Yes. It has a standalone "GUI" mode as well. You can set it to run only when it is in the foreground, or to run at all times in background mode.

- FM
--
DCExec Member, Member of 'StarFire Seven' & Undisputed BBR Karaoke Champion!

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-27
Springfield, VA
kudos:2
Yeah, I emailed them about it and they told me it had a console mode. It is just not clearly spelled out in the install instructions. I mentioned that for the totally clueless, like myself , it might be to their advantage to spell it out.
--
Team Endeavor

Watching in silence
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Aurora, CO

1 recommendation

reply to Starfish
Just installed it on a few of my other machines. It seems to be working nicely with the slower ones. I'll keep you updated with any bugs or problems I might have.

I really like this one!
--
Too much time on my hands, I got you on my mind.

Gargoyle
Planet X

1 recommendation

reply to Gargoyle
Lifemapper running in the background seems to be working fine ... in one hour it has already mapped 2 species predictions and 80% done with the third on my laptop (XP Pro, 1.8GHz Pentium, 512MB RAM).
--

[text was edited by author 2003-04-30 12:26:19]

Starfish
Per Ardua Ad Astra
ExMod 2002-04
Netherlands
reply to Starfish
I am certainly happy to see the current level of enthusiasm

lifemapper

This is just to confirm your findings that LM client can run in Screen Saver, Application and Background modes.

We surely could do much better job explaining that. Thanks for covering it for us.

Lifemapper

Starfish
Per Ardua Ad Astra
ExMod 2002-04
Netherlands

3 recommendations

reply to Starfish
For those that are wondering:

You can consider Lifemapper an official project for the General Distributed Computing forum, just as Team Endeavor or Team Ecology. It will not get it's own forum though. That is a given.

I've just added the 'LM' option to the list of radio-buttons when adding a new post. You can use that one as a prefix to start posts regarding Lifemapper, thank you

Gargoyle
Planet X
Cool! Thanks Starfish.

laffalot
Crunch Tsc
Premium,ExMod2004-7
join:2002-03-27
Scotland
reply to Starfish
Nice one starfish! Will burn it up over the weekend