Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor

Premium Member

Getting ready to do something in Ukiah, CA?

My Powerlink connection was down from about 10 PM until 3AM last night, and this morning I notice I'm on a completely different subnet, 67.20.xx.xxx instead of 24.58.xx.xxx like before the outage. Are they doing some matienence work, or are they perhaps getting ready to tier Northern California? Mac, any ideas/info? Oh yeah, could you let the powers that be that it would be VERY NICE to let us know when they are going to do things like this if they can, I'm glad I wasn't doing anything important on the web last night, thanks

MacLeech
The one and only
Premium Member
join:2001-07-14
SoCal

MacLeech

Premium Member

Nothing was scheduled as far as I know...

It was probably an actual unplanned outage. Maybe somebody drove into a utility pole or a squirrel got hungry...

IP changes like the one you saw can happen during large outages that are longer than your IP lease time or when a large number of people go offline, but it doesn't particularly mean any network changes took place. CMTSs are frequently assigned multiple, non-contiguous blocks of IP addresses, so a subnet change isn't anything really unusual. Its totally dependent on how many are out and length of the outage vs. size of the subnets and the lease time left.

As far as the tiers, they could be turned on with a quick modem reset, you don't necessarily see any noticeable changes happening before hand.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor

Premium Member

Thanks Mac I guess time will tell on the tier thing. I think now that I'm earning a little more, I am going to get the 3000/384 package for 79 when it comes out up here, that 384 upload will be sweet! The more I think about it, 79 for that kind of speed is a pretty darn good deal

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

1 recommendation

hobgoblin to RR Conductor

Premium Member

to RR Conductor
this was posted

"Oh yeah, could you let the powers that be that it would be VERY NICE to let us know when they are going to do things like this if they can, I'm glad I wasn't doing anything important on the web last night, thanks"

As has been stated before in this forum Adelphia's change management window is during the silent hours. Normally 2.00am to 4.00am. An outage that starts at 10pm is an unplanned one. It was not tier related.

Hob

MacLeech
The one and only
Premium Member
SoCal

1 recommendation

MacLeech to RR Conductor

Premium Member

to RR Conductor
This question made for a good FAQ entry. I hope no one minds I used quotes from their posts...

»Adelphia High Speed Internet »FAQ: IP addresses changing after an outage or upgrade.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor

Premium Member

Thanks Hob and Mac for your replies, I appreciate the info But to let you know, we never get any advance notice of any scheduled work or upgrades on the Mendocino County system(not talking about unexpected ones like this), the only way I find out anything is from you guys, you rock! If they could just send us an email when there is going to be scheduled down time, it would be very much appreciated. I know they always do it at odd hours, but sometimes my work requires me to work at odd hours on the web, and it's not too fun to be doing something important and have your connection go down out of the blue. If they have a planned outage, I think it's only fair to let us know about it By the way, excellent Faq Mac!

MacLeech
The one and only
Premium Member
SoCal

MacLeech

Premium Member

said by RR Conductor:
But to let you know, we never get any advance notice of any scheduled work or upgrades on the Mendocino County system
Your not the only one with little or no notice of scheduled work or outages, but its a problem definitely known by management and it is being worked on. The new email system helps a lot in that regard, but its only one piece of many...

Lurkerer
@uu.net

Lurkerer to RR Conductor

Anon

to RR Conductor
"If they could just send us an email when there is going to be scheduled down time,"

just think of it this way... how would you check your email during downtime? not to mention the resources it takes to send those emails that almost no one would read because they didnt have time to check the email during the downtime.

MacLeech
The one and only
Premium Member
SoCal

MacLeech

Premium Member

said by Lurkerer:
How would you check your email during downtime?
ILOVELA2 was asking for some advanced notice of downtime or changes, which is something many people, customers and employees alike, have asked for. The changes taking place are commonly unknown to either party, which makes well informed support personnel (local or national) and happy customers a little harder to come by.

So again, its being worked on, but the recent constant changes to network topology, equipment, and configuration make it a bit difficult to reliably impliment at this point in time... Lots of upgrades do have their downsides. As things stabilize, look for little (but important) features like this to become a reality.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
Redwood Valley, CA

RR Conductor

Premium Member

You hit it on the nail mi amigo! Good to hear they're working on it Mac, thanks again for the good info