how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kaybertoss
Layne Staley 1967-2002

join:2000-10-28
Vancouver BC

Shipping With UPS From The States - BEWARE!

United Parcel Service (UPS) is gouging us Canadians with huge “brokerage fees”. I live in Vancouver and bought a high capacity laptop battery for my Dell Latitude through Ebay the other day at a very good price. The seller in the States sent the battery to me via UPS. (I’ve since realized that the shipper will only ship via UPS or Fedex to Canada). When the battery arrived I was shocked to see there was a brokerage fee of almost $40.00 CDN. I’ve bought two other laptop parts in the past out of the states with the seller shipping the parts via USPS/Canada post with just a 5.00 dollar handling fee. If you’re a Canuck, beware of UPS’s brokerage fee and make sure your seller will ship USPS and Canada post if you want to avoid this huge brokerage fee. What an expensive mistake! My savings on this purchase has been consumed by UPS with their rip off brokerage fees. Not to mention that the package sat idle at one of their transfer points for 5 out of 8 shipping days! SO, BEWARE OF UPS!

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
join:2001-10-14
Canada
kudos:2

It seems more and more Canadian shoppers are finding out what you did the hard way. Go FedEx if you can, the extra money is worth it.

Buck Fush
Great Minds With Great Debts.

join:2001-02-24

I figured that out the hard way too, but, I didn't know FEDEX didn't charge that fee.

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
Canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·TekSavvy DSL

FedEx treats duty fees differently. UPS charges their inflated brokerage fee to cover any duties. Not to mention that FedEx treats their packages better and almost NEVER screws up.

There was a story in another forum on this site where a case shipped via UPS was impaled by a forklift, and crushed on all four corners.

Small Block Chevys Never Die..
Premium
join:2003-03-25

I just upgraded my raytracing software, Vue D'Esprit. It cost me $99.00 USA, plus a $20.00 shipping fee. I thought not too bad until UPS delivered it to my door with a brokerage fee of $59.00 !

IIgs
Premium
join:2002-10-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:1
reply to kaybertoss

I received an exuberant "brokage" fee from UPS on the shipping of second-hand computer parts back in the early 90's. They also charged PST/GST on the brokage. This was all ON TOP of the shipping I already paid for.

Needless to say I was digusted by it and almost never used them again. Postal mail has worked great as an alternative.

Incidentally, you can get the brokage fee waived by requesting (in advance) that you want to head out to the airport and file all the custom papers yourself. In my experience they just do it themselves, ignoring the request, but waive the charge simply because of your request. Another thing that works is stating a low dollar fee on packages, but that can screw up insurance.

How is AirBorne Express btw? I have a hardisk being RMA'ed back from the States by them, and I'm worried about brokage.

WWM
Divi filius
Premium
join:2002-12-19
Mississauga
reply to kaybertoss

You'll get those fees with USPS too, unless it's being sent via priority mail. Basically if it's not being sent priority, there's a large chance Canadian customs will seize the package and charge PST/GST + $5.00 handling fee.

If FedEx/priority mail is too expensive, I'd suggest having the items sent to a friend/family in the US, then have them send it to you. If a package is coming from an individual instead of a company, there's less risk of being charged, and even if you are charged, getting a refund from Canada Post isn't too difficult. As long as it's from a private home.

emmpeethree
Twizzling Flagella
Premium
join:2001-04-13
Richmond, BC
reply to kaybertoss

if you live close to the US border, there are many post offices/private places that will be the reciever of your package for a very modest fee.

there's one at point roberts (30 mins from vancouver) that charges 2 dollars for the first 25 pounds parcel (a dollar more per 25 pound i believes) and 75 cents if they call you when the parcel arrives.

just drive it across the slack CDN border and there you go, no duties, no extra shipping charges, no taxes, no tie ups at the border (unless of course you are stupid and get pulled over!)
--
i gave up my 5000/480, then 128/64 connection because it had a 6/2 limit. cruised the summer on a 2500/128 videotron line, and a month on a 44/30 line. now back on shaw, a 2300/480 a connection that i can't really use...

Mark Z
Premium
join:2002-10-14
reply to kaybertoss

AMEN!!!!!!!!! UPS is the biggest pile of trash this side of the Atlantic. I've been ripped many times, I wonder why people would still insist on shipping with them? USPS delivered the other day to me and it was quick, and !free!(actual shipping costs aside). Also, for shits and giggles sound out the letters of their acronym, its OOPS! No kidding...

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5

Concur, Im A VAR for ZyXEL, and I specifically tell them, sure send me that DEMO only if its Fedex International Economy, forget it if you want to send by UPS........
For a non-sellable item, test-drive item I paid over $50....... definitely a ripoff.
--
Learn to laugh at yourself before laughing at others!

TSWB.org
Premium,ExMod 2000-04
join:2000-07-11
Winnipeg, MB
reply to IIgs

said by IIgs:
How is AirBorne Express btw? I have a hardisk being RMA'ed back from the States by them, and I'm worried about brokage.
What make of Hard Drive? I RMA'd a Maxtor drive which took 4 days of which only one was spent being shipped here from Texas via UPS. In this case Maxtor covered everything though.
--
Join Broadband Reports Team Starfire SETI@Home
Put your unused clock cycles to work!

Buck Fush

reply to IIgs

you shouldn't be charged anything as its not something you are purchasing, rather a replacement of something you already bought and paid taxes on. As long as the shipper designates that, you will be all good.
[text was edited by author 2003-05-25 22:28:52]

IIgs
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to 72245156

said by 72245156:
said by IIgs:
What make of Hard Drive? I RMA'd a Maxtor drive which took 4 days of which only one was spent being shipped here from Texas via UPS. In this case Maxtor covered everything though.

It's a Seagate. I shipped it directly to Texas and they're shipping it back here, clearly marked as an RMA-return, but they did tell me I'd be responsible for any duties, taxes, brokage, etc should it apply.

Hopefully the replacement will have no charges applied (I don't think Airborne Express will be delivering it though, it probably gets passed onto Purolator or another Canadian shipping company).

TSWB.org
Premium,ExMod 2000-04
join:2000-07-11
Winnipeg, MB

said by IIgs:
I don't think Airborne Express will be delivering it though, it probably gets passed onto Purolator or another Canadian shipping company.
Yes, Purolator handles Airborne Express.
--
Join Broadband Reports Team Starfire SETI@Home
Put your unused clock cycles to work!

renton
Come On You Spurs
Premium
join:2002-01-05
Toronto, ON
reply to kaybertoss

I bought a DSL modem from someone here in the For Sale/Wanted forum. I paid US $20 for the modem but the seller declared a $215 value. UPS wanted $92.26 so i told them to send it back...
--
Choose life.Choose a job.Choose a family...Choose your future.Choose life...But why would I want to do a thing like that ?

dennilfloss
Liberal And Loving It
Premium
join:2001-09-09
Ottawa, ON

reply to kaybertoss

Use this company. They deal with Canadians via Borderfree so you won't have nasty surprises..

»www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.···o=445222

You need to click on the 'Canadians' button. They have sweet countdown deals.

»www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/countdo···ault.asp

--
Ma ma ma weer all crazee now!!!

[text was edited by author 2003-05-26 07:00:38]

IIgs
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to renton

I bought a used DSL modem from the States too not long ago, though I had the person on the other end use postal mail. Came through without a hitch, no surprise charges--in fact no additional charges whatsoever.

I can have someone literally pack a box of dirt and send it by UPS with a marked value of "$100,000". Guess what, they'll charge brokage based on that value, regardless if it's true, false or even a misprint. They'll also slap on GST and PST on top of that.

Heh, funny to see one of those yellow UPS stick-it-notes above. I always see them in the lobby of my apartment building, with of course some large $$ amount marked in the brokage section. They're kind of visual warnings/reminders never again to use UPS.

They even suck for delivery. UPS always delivers around 11AM, when you're usually at work. If you call to arrange a different delivery time, they claim it's not possible. If you tell them to not bothering to deliver they also say it's not possible--the driver will make two more attempts. And then after the 3rd attempt fails, it goes back to UPS headquarters where YOUR supposed to pick it up. Wait too longer (say a week) and you'll lose the package entirely. The only solution I've found is to leave instructions on the yellow note to drop it off with a next door neighbour.

Compare this with postal mail. You're not home, the package goes to the nearest postal outlet (usually within walking distance) where you can pick it up the next day. No playing delivery-tag.

Suchaknight
Premium
join:2002-10-06
Houbytown
reply to kaybertoss

I was going to ship something to Canada and use UPS, but after seeing this thread I guess maybe I should use something else. This stuff is all a big surprise to me. What exactly is a brokerage fee, anyway? Is GST/PST your sales tax? I want to ship a small box weighing about 2-3 kilos to a private party from a private party (me). I don't want the recipient to get nailed for some fees that are not necessary. The contents is not really valuable, if I have to put some kind of valuation on it for customs purposes, I'm sure 30 or 40 dollars would be plenty. By the same token, I would like to have some insurance on it, just in case it got lost.... Any suggestions for choice of shipper and how to handle the details?
--
Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5

Fedex automatically takes care of brokerage and builds it into their price. GST/PST are the responsibility of the buyer always, and is either handled upon delivery or via a letter afterwards.

Your best bet is to use FedEX IE International Economy. Its the lowest FedEX rate!
--
Learn to laugh at yourself before laughing at others!

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
Canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Suchaknight

said by Suchaknight:
I was going to ship something to Canada and use UPS, but after seeing this thread I guess maybe I should use something else. This stuff is all a big surprise to me. What exactly is a brokerage fee, anyway? Is GST/PST your sales tax?
Brokerage fee is something that UPS charges to cover any duty. UPS acts as a "broker" on your behalf to pay the duty. The recipient of the package will not see an invoice from Canada Customs. The beef against UPS is that the brokerage fee is much, much more than duty would actually be, so essentially they're overcharging/gouging/ripping you off etc.

GST stands for Goods and Services Tax. It is a federal sales tax of 7%.

PST stands for Provincial Sales Tax. It is a provincial (think state) sales tax that varies from province to province. Alberta has no PST, while other province combine the GST and PST into one tax called the HST (Harmonized Sales Tax). The recipient of the package is legally responsible for paying the sales tax on any item imported from outside the country.

I've sold a few items on ebay and here in the Buy and Sell forum, and I insist that the buyer use FedEx for cross border shipping. FedEx does not charge exorbitant brokerage fees, and their online site makes it easy for me to fill out all the paperwork. Sending stuff via the US Postal Service is also a better method, as there are no brokerage charges there, either.

It is important for US Sellers to understand that brokerage fees will essentially kill a deal and leave a bad taste in the buyers mouth.

Premium

It seems few US companies offer an alternative to UPS.

Suchaknight
Premium
join:2002-10-06
Houbytown
reply to MacGyver

said by MacGyver:
The beef against UPS is that the brokerage fee is much, much more than duty would actually be, so essentially they're overcharging/gouging/ripping you off etc.
Judging by the remarks in this thread, its no secret that UPS is screwing everybody with this bogus charge. How can they be so blatant and expect to remain in business?
--
Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
Canada

UPS is geared towards businesses, not individuals. So they market their customs brokerage as a value-added-service. I guess for some it could save money, but for individuals the case is almost always no.

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
Canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to kaybertoss

I've posted a link to this thread in the Buy and Sell forum. I thought it would be useful info for our American friends. Eventually I'd like to create some FAQ items on this topic, but for now this thread is a great source of info. Thanks to everyone who contributed thus far. Keep the good info coming!

Buck Fush

reply to Suchaknight

actually, that charge will not incur if the customs don't change anything which is based on your original declaration customs paper that you fill when you send something to Canada. If the item is a gift, max non taxable value is $60 Canadian, $20 for a non-gift, anything above those #s will be taxed. If item isn't valuable, and doesnt look valuable, then, just ship UPS, but make sure, that your declared value(usually in US) does not turn out to be more than $60 Canadian, assuming you mark it as a gift. $40 is more than enough, but if the actual value is even less than that, by all means, declare it.
--
"There's a STET born every minute" -- Anonymous
Our very own Cannuckistan!

[text was edited by author 2003-05-26 09:41:21]

Premium

I do order a few antique car parts from the USA and most are shipped via UPS...I do not pay any brokerage or custom fees on these auto parts BUT I've had to pay these fees on software, books, computer parts, etc....

KAIFS
V I P
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-11
CHEEEESE WI
reply to kaybertoss

I am a frequent international shipper, primarily to Ukraine, Canada and Germany.

you(receiver) will pay nothing if sender marks declaration papers properly and puts a check mark in the gift section.

This method had been working for me and the packages I ship for over 5 years now.
--
..MISTAKE RECOGNIZED IS HALF CORRECTED..

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
Canada

1 recommendation

That is fraudulent, and we're not here to show people how to cheat the system. Besides, the gift exemption only works up to $60CAD.

AntBee
Premium
join:2002-12-06
Moncton, NB
reply to kaybertoss

I was ripped off by UPS on an item shipped to me from the States, too! I had to pay a $50 brokerage fee on a $20 US item I got off of eBay. $20 US and shipping fees converted to CND$ and then that brokerage fee on top of that taught me a lesson. Since then, I have never bought anything from an eBay seller who will only ship UPS. I make sure they use USPS.

KAIFS
V I P
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-11
CHEEEESE WI

reply to MacGyver

said by MacGyver:
That is fraudulent, and we're not here to show people how to cheat the system. Besides, the gift exemption only works up to $60CAD.
It is no more fraudulent then company or Customs trying to charge reciepent outrageous fee(sometime more then item worth) for the item they already paid for. I shipped instruments('65 Hofner Beatle Bass and '65 Guild Polara) to Canada that were worth more then $1,000USD via UPS and FedEX and it worked just fine and were a gift to the buyers of those fine instruments. They did gift me with $$ first.... I wanted to return a favor .

--
..MISTAKE RECOGNIZED IS HALF CORRECTED..

[text was edited by author 2003-05-26 14:33:52]