how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

stever80

join:2003-05-07
Bayside, NY

Post Your BEFW11S4 V4 Issues Here

Just want to use this post as a way to summarize all issues everyone has been having with this router.

Please post all of them here, possibly in a numbered list.

Thanks
Steve

Hitman05

join:2003-05-26
Are there major problems with the BEFW11S4? I have version 2, and it's been working great without a single reset since February.

runjc

@bellsouth.net
"Sometimes a connection with a site will simply stall, as if the site stops sending packets and doesn't try to resend them. This is most obvious with big downloads (HTTP or FTP): data traffic will stop, and the progress box in IE or Mozilla will just stop updating but not disappear. Sometimes the progress box will sit there for several minutes saying that 15 seconds remain in the download. I have also experienced this with streaming media and keep-alive type programs like AIM.

It doesn't kill my Internet connection; when something stalls I can instantly load a Web page or do anything else on the Internet. I just have a hard time staying connected to individual Internet sites for more than a few seconds at a time.

I've experienced the same problem with four(!) different computers running two different versions of Windows. It occurs on both wired and wireless connections." Thanks phenry

I found that lowering the mtu on the router to 1350 also helps with aim but does not entirely get rid of these problems.

Other threads stating a problem with the v4
»[general] BEFW11S4 v4 - stalled connections

»BEFW11S4 V4 and Aol

»BEFW11S4 v4 aim problems

logout00

@nanarb01.mi.comcast.
1. Downloads hang unexpectedly after several minutes. Almost impossible to download more than several megabytes of files. Both HTTP and FTP show the same symptom.

2. In addition to number 1, the MSN messenger connection often resets unexpectedly, and the streaming audio/video connections often lose its connections and reconnect to the server.

3. The router itself often stalls. When it stalls, ping 192.168.1.1 command shows that there are no response from the router.

4. The router stalls when a client computer simultaneously request dhcp requests both for wired and wireless connections. For example, when I connect the ethernet cable into my laptop while the wireless connection is working, the router fails to assign a different IP address for the ethernet connection. After this, the router just stops responding. Linksys might better to separate the IP address fields for ethernet and wireless connection. Netgear routers do assign different IP addresses for wired and wireless connections. (192.168.0.1~50 for wired, 192.168.0.51~100 for wireless)

I'm much disappointed the new Linksys V4 wireless router... It's just destroying Linksys's brand value. I don't know how Linksys came to release this buggy product to the market.

Thanks for opening this thread.

qenymin

@gnu-designs.com
reply to stever80
I purchased a BEFW11S4 v4 router from an online company on 5/30/2003, and received it on 6/6/2003. I unboxed it, read the brief instructions, and integrated it into my business LAN/WAN here. I was originally using a Lucent RG-1000 WAP and a no-name router to accomplish the same goal.

After fighting with the sorely-lacking web-only configuration tool (What? No SNMP? Come on Linksys!) and configuring all of my publically facing services (web, ssh, mail, cvs, and others), I noticed that some websites would just "hang" responding to requests. I have a webpage that refreshes every 6 seconds to provide me with updated information (XML-backed, not run by me), and I noticed that the information was not current. I reloaded the page in the browser, and was presented with roughly the last hour's worth of backlog information. Not good.

I tried downloading some files, just to test the theory, same result. After about 5-6 seconds, or about 300-400k of data, it would just hang. I verified this from a Linux box initially, and then from a FreeBSD box.

I loaded up VMWare with a cleanly-installed Windows2000 image in it, and proceeded to go to Windows Update. After selecting all of the available updates (24 of them), the update also hung about 5-bars into the progress bar download, completely hanging IE, where I had to kill it with Task Manager. If I tried to go back to Windows Update under that same bootup, it would just hang, and none of the buttons to update would work. A reboot of the virtual image fixed the IE hang, but I still can't get the updates I need, because the connection hangs.

I called Linksys technical support, and explained the issue, and was given a case number. They had me hard-reset the router, which did not correct the problem.

They then had me change the MTU to 1400, which also did not solve the problem. I tried everything from 576 up to 1500, including the "magic 1372" MTU value for ipsec and ssh overhead (from a Cisco technote), which also did not help.

They promised to send me an updated (not-released) firmware revision. I was running 1.44.2 at the time I called them. About 20 minutes later, I received a firmware update, which I applied, and which completely smoked the router. Further inspection revealed that it was for a v3 router, not v4.

I called back and explained that their firmware was the wrong version, and the tech said he would mail me two of the previous versions, 1.43 and 1.42, and that I should try those.

24 hours later, still no email, I called Linksys again this morning, and explained the situation to date. The woman tech that I was speaking with said she could send me the 1.43 version, and to try that. 20 minutes later I receive... the same incorrect v3 update from yesterday, which was actually 'befw11s4_v3_fw_1.45', clearly not 1.43 or 1.42, and definately not the right firmware for this product.

At this point, I'm near-furious, because I have a production set of services I provide for customers, and no data transfer longer than about 300k can get through, without hanging.

This is DISGUSTING service and product quality control. I've tried this with Linux, FreeBSD, and Windows natively, and all fail in the exact same fashion. I've played with MTU, and disabling the "Block WAN Request" options, per the tech support suggestions, also without any change in the previous operating behavior of the router.

If they can't fix this product, I'm sending it back to Linksys directly, demanding a full refund of the purchase price I paid from the vendor, and I will be taking my business elsewhere.

I'm going to call them again and see what they can do for me. I'm on a very solid business connection to the net, and not a "Residential" user. I provide dozens of services to external clients, as well as failover mirrors of servers in multiple locations across the US. They all must be bulletproof and functional, 24x7, without one hiccup. This product does not give me the most confidence in their abilities to create something that can do the things they boast.

I'll continue to follow up here with my ongoing results as I get them from Linksys.

smann

join:2001-02-04
Midlothian, VA
reply to stever80
I just entered the wireless arena with the purchase of a BEFW11S4 v4 and a WPC11. Everything hooked up right out of the box...I thought it was wonderful. Then the problems came:

1. Connections will stall. Large web pages, downloads, etc. will stop after a short while. You can open new web pages when this happens so it's not a connection issue. This happens on both wired and wireless connections.

2. The router will hang randomly. I cannot ping the router or access the internet. It requires a reboot of the router to get back up and running.

I am not happy with the Linksys tech support. I called on this and they said they were going to send me a new firmware version...never got the email. I emailed the problem and got a response to change the MTU setting on the wireless card. That would be fine if the problem was just with the wireless connection...which it isn't!

They get one more try and I'm taking the router back...maybe I can find a v3 somewhere.

qenymin

@cox.net
reply to qenymin
After going through the runaround with Linksys again, I'm probably going to be returning the product to the place where I purchased it, online.

Linksys technical support advised me that "It's ok to flash a v3 firmware on v4 routers", despite the documentation that comes with it that STRONGLY advises against doing so. The woman I connected to (I couldn't get her name, she barely spoke legible English), said she deals with this every day, and it's ok to flash v3 onto v4.

So I flashed it onto the router anyway, and behold! A brick!

I could no longer communicate with the router using any method, even after statically assigning the host computer an IP address. I could ping 192.168.1.1 after doing a hard reset, but the browser interface wasn't available, and the tftp interface would just fail to connect. Simply put, Linksys advised me to turn their router into a brick.

I called back, and got someone else on the line (again, couldn't get his name, another non-English speaking person), and mentioned that I flashed v3 firmware onto the v4 router, at Linksys' request. He basically said "You can't flash v3 firmware onto v4 routers, that won't work".

No shit Sherlock.

The next worst part, is that I may have to pay to ship it back to the manufacturer, who has a 15% restocking fee, AND I have to pay for the shipping from there to Linksys and back, which is basically the cost of the router itself.

Needless to say, I'm furious. I may just end up walking into Staples or CompUSA and buy the same thing, and swap the boxes, and return it there for a refund that way. I'm pretty pissed off now.

Clearly Linksys' technical support does not communicate amongst themselves, and aren't sharing the same knowledge. One technical support person says that it's ok to flash v3 onto v4 (it isn't), and another says that you can't do that.

I spoke with the Linksys RMA department, and she said that they don't pay for shipping, and that I'd have to pay for that myself. I made her painfully aware that I was shipped a defective product, and that it was ONLY 2 DAYS OLD, and has not worked at all since I unpacked it from the shrinkwrap. I was not going to pay for shipping of a defective product back to the manufacturer. No way, no how. She mentioned that their policy is that they do not offer reimbursement for shipping, even on defective products (which this clearly is).

I've been told that v3 and v2 routers do not suffer from this problem, but I can't seem to locate any of those online.

Jetter28

join:2003-05-11
Royse City, TX
I have a W11S4 v. 3 router. It has been the biggest pain int he ass. On my computer it would dorp my internet connection about once every 26 hrs...requiring me to restart my computer. But I think i figured out the trick. Just reset the router, and use the computer you use the most to configure your router. So far so good for me on firmware 1.45z.

runjc

@bellsouth.net
reply to qenymin
If you have flashed the wrong firmware you can assign the router a static ip such as 192.168.1.5 by going into the Local Area Connection. Then run the firmware update program type in your assigned ip address for the router and then upload the orginal firmware that is only for v4. This allows the reset button to work which you can then push to reset the router. Although this doesnt fix the hanging problem it turns your brick back into a semi-working router.

qenymin

@cox.net
Yep, indeed, I was able to recover my BEFW11S4-v4 by doing the "Hold down reset for 60 seconds, remove power, release reset" method (30 didn't work, releasing reset then pulling power didn't work). Bringing it back up as 192.168.1.1, then statically assigning my box a 192.168.1.x address and reflashing the proper firmware with the tftp tool.

Now I have a v4 unit with the ONLY version of firmware made for it, v1.44.2, which is the buggy one that doens't work at all for sustained transfer rates.

I tried the previous 4 versions of firmware (1.43.3 down to 5 releases prior), and they all give me the "GFLOD" (Green Flashing Lights of Death). The ONLY firmware which works with this device (version 4) is 1.44.2. Previous v3 and v2 routers work fine with the 1.44.2 and prior firmware revisions, but not the v4 devices.

Flashing anything BUT 1.44.2 onto the device, removes your ability to use it as a wireless device. It basically turns it into a hub. There is no web interface to configure it if you flash it with anything other than 1.44.2, and there is no SNMP management. You can ping it at 192.168.1.1, but you can't do anything else with it. If you request a DHCP address from it, you get passed through, and receive a DHCP address from your provider, through your cable/dsl connection.

I'm waiting for a new firmware to address these issues, no word on it yet.

m

@sprintbbd.net
reply to stever80
Hello all,

I have a BEFW11S4 and a Surfboard 4200 Cable modem.
Has anyone encountered any problems with this setup?

I am trying to hook up 3 systems total, all running wireless WPC11 cards or the USB wireless card.

I have read some about the 4220 modems causing problems but was curious about the older 4200's?

If anyone has any insight or tips, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks,

Matt
mywasteofspace@earthlink.net

xavierl

join:2003-06-11
Portland, OR
I thought my problems had to do with my ISP (ATT/Comcast)!

I've been fighting this ever since I got this set up about a year an half ago. I'm sick and tired of it.

I had lots of problems at the beginning, called LinkSys tech support and eventually got things working, but we changed so many settings, I can't tell which one did the trick. Then about a month ago, problems started again (lost connection, slow connections, etc.)

Can anyone recommend a reliable unit to replace my BEFW11S4? At this point all I need is a standard router. I'll add a separate Access Point once I get the wired network working reliably.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

runjc

@bellsouth.net
I believe this thread is just for reporting problems with the new version 4 routers "BEFW11S4 V4" which I believe have only been shipped in the past 2 months.

stever80

Bayside, NY
Exactly runjc. I just wanted to discuss and zero in on the issues that are surfacing with this new device. I have it and have a few minor issues but want to compile a list of all problems that are occurring with the device.

Please do not drift off topic.

Does anybody have any other issues that they see with this device other than what was stated above?

qenymin

@gnu-designs.com
reply to stever80
Possible diagnostic solution to the BEFW11S4 v4 issues:

I've been tinkering with my BEFW11S4 v4 here for a few extra days, just giving it one last chance before I barcode it off and send it in to Linksys for RMA.. here's what I've found.

Take a host you know is up, outside your lan, google.com for example, and ping it with various packet sizes, ranging from 576 up to the largest size your network hardware can handle. Once you start seeing packet loss, back the packet size down and try smaller increments. Once you get a maximum, non-loss packet size, slap that in your MTU value field in your Linkys router config on the Filters screen (assuming firmware v1.44.2 of course, the only one this router can run).

I've been doing some reading and found some sources which indicate 1492 is the "optimum" packet size for this particular router, and anything larger will cause the TCP stack to just reset (i.e. "hang"). In my case, 1492 did not work, so I started testing in 8-byte increments from 576, until I found one that worked. I started low, and moved up to 1462, which is what I'm using right now as I type this.

So far, it appears to be working.

Something else I noticed is that this 'hanging' only affects TCP traffic (not UDP) and is also only relevant for OUTBOUND traffic. I run several services for external clients (cvs, mail, etc.) and those INBOUND connections never hang. I'll do some more testing on this, but it appears to be working at this point. There are "less" hangs, but there are still a few hangs overall. The firmware is definately buggered (or the Broadcom chipset backing the firmware), but this may be a temporary Band-Aid for those affected by this issue.

If/when you call Linksys technical support about this issue (I have a very lengthy call log with them already), make sure you reference the fact that MTU is NOT the problem on this router, and changing it does not "fix" the problem, it only makes it happen less often. "Less often" is not "Fixed" in any sense of the word. Make sure you get a case number when you call, and make sure you report exactly what you're seeing. Linksys needs to see that this issue is affecting HUNDREDS of users of the v4 model, and not just a few people calling in with MTU issues.

I'd be curious to see everyone's results on this. Reply back under this thread, if you can, thanks.

Geoffrain

join:2003-06-16
Fayetteville, NC
reply to stever80
I've had this router since 6-2-03 and have been fighting it ever since. The sensatons of fury you get by dealing with linksys tech support are very real.

Stalling webpages and downloads and random lag in my online games on BOTH computers. I've been on the fone with their tech support so many times, I'm starting to recognize each one of them by voice and their universal failure to fix my problem.

Unless someone here advises against this, I'm taking all this crap back to circuitcity tomorrow and exchanging it for netgear.

BTW, they also tried to send me a 'new firmware version' which turned out to be the exact same one I already have installed. One or two of them insisted there was a 1.45 version that I should use. But yet another tech told me: there is no such thing, yet.

What is with this company????

MGH

Geoffrain

Fayetteville, NC
reply to stever80
About MTU: yes, they had me change it to 1482. The problem disappeared for a few minutes (long enough for the tech to hangup) then started up again.

Changing the MTU has a limited effect for a few minutes, then none whatsoever.

MGH

Mr-Glass

@stlsmo.swbell.ne
reply to stever80
I have just gone thru some of the same issues as posted here, after telling my friends how great the BEFW11S4 is --this V4 was all I could find at the local CUSA.. I have 2 version 2's that have worked perfectly for over a year, and this POS is absolutely unacceptable.. The one that I'm installing is having numerous issues, Won't hand out IP's, and when it does - sometimes there are conflicts between the two PC's - Pc's are named different on same workgroup (go figure) It shows nothing in the DHCP client list.. This application is also using the Shark Fin cable modem which seems to loose connection to the Router, take the router out of the picture and PC works great thru the Charter pipeline.. It does not seem like any of the Linksys Tech's want to touch this thread, How can a company get away with selling something that does not work properly?
And if they make a mistake and ship bad product, how could they not be working day and night to release a new firmware update..

Geoffrain

Fayetteville, NC
reply to stever80
AT LAST! I have resolved my problems:

Follow this simple solution to fix this:

1: take the piece of crap back to where you got it and get a netgear router (your choice).

thanks

MGH

MYCROFT2346

join:2003-06-19
Noblesville, IN
reply to stever80
The v4 router causes MSN messenger and AIM to disconnect much more frequently than usual (every few minutes in a long conversation). This happens with wireless (didn't test wired) connections with both Windows XP and Mac clients.

Switching the v4 router out for an old v1 fixed the problem immediately.

qenymin

@gnu-designs.com
What's even more interesting... is that the firmware revision (1.44.2), which Linksys KNOWS is causing the problems, has not been updated in over 2 months (64 days to be exact).

I continue to call them, and they continue to keep telling me to change my MTU and to try a different cable modem. Funny that the cable modem works fine without any dropoffs when the Linksys isn't in the mix.

stever80

Bayside, NY
Is there any way we can package this post up and send it to Linksys for review?

Arent there linksys techs on this forum. Can someone direct them here and have them take notice and bring it back to work and have them fix up their firmware? I know I am oversimplifying a lot but I really want to get a straight list of issues and pass it off to as many Linksys techs as possible. Maybe someone will compile the list above in a word document or notepad and then everyone can send it via email to their respective Linksys tech that they have been in contact with. If we put into action what we say, something sooner or later will have to be done.

LinkTech
Former Linksys Tech
VIP
join:2002-07-02
Mission Viejo, CA
Steve, Im taking notes and passing them along, please PM me for further info

mikeor

@charter.com
reply to stever80
My BEFW11S4 ver.4 router cannot maintain a connection with my new Toshiba centrino laptop longer than 20 minutes.....very strange that it's almost 20 minutes exactly every time it drops out. The only way to re-connect with the network is to reboot the router.

I've flashed the firmware, hard reset the router, made sure I have the latest drivers for the Intel wifi card, changed channels, changed settings on the router....all to no avail.

It's almost like there's a timer that shuts the thing down after 20 minutes......there are no security settings on the router or the notebook, no authentication, encription or security settings at all.

Anyone having the same problems or have any other suggestions....hate to turn it in for another brand 'cause I've always had great luck with Linksys up till now.

LinkTech
Former Linksys Tech
VIP
join:2002-07-02
Mission Viejo, CA
What firmware are you guys using?

stever80

Bayside, NY
I believe everyone here has the factory direct 1.44.2 April 16th 2003 version. There is no other option for us as it stands right now.

stever80

Bayside, NY
downloadbefw11s4v4_v···code.zip 231,239 bytes
(befw11s4v4_v11.45_FCC_007_code.bin)
Is anybody brave enough to try this?? Is there a brave soul who will reflash their v4 router with this firmware update and tell us their results? Someone please be that one brave soul and tell us if the kinks are ironed out.

Thanks

Rolex Snob
Rolex Snob

join:2000-12-26
Louisville, KY
reply to stever80
I JUST bought this router 2 weeks ago and have been having the SAME disconnect problems.

I just added my everyday computer to the DMZ and the problems went away...

This of course is a crappy fix because whenever my wife uses her computer (only 1 DMZ allowed) she still gets the disconnect issues. Or if I have friends come over to game behind my linksys I am the only that can remain connected to a CS or B.NET server.

sigh

runjc

@bellsouth.net
reply to stever80
stever80 where did you find out about that file?

muyg

join:1999-12-24
Brighton, MA
reply to stever80
What are we looking for exactly? I've flashed my router with the file . . . I guess I have to wait and see.